Your most hated secondary questions!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aegistitan

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Let's start a fun thread! Or maybe the responses will be depressing. What is your most hated secondary question? I'm talking about those questions that make you want to tear your hair out, those questions that make you reconsider applying to the school!

I'll start off:

Consider three areas of integrity: personal, professional, and intellectual. Using an example, describe how these areas may be interrelated. In your response include why the connection between these areas is significant.

I don't even want to think about this question. I could probably brute force it in an hour but it's just so... horrible

Members don't see this ad.

Haha I know what school that secondary was from.. twas a tough one.

How about this one, only a 16 character limit but it really makes you think.

"Your credit card number:"

Reactions: 44 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Let's start a fun thread! Or maybe the responses will be depressing. What is your most hated secondary question? I'm talking about those questions that make you want to tear your hair out, those questions that make you reconsider applying to the school!

I'll start off:

Consider three areas of integrity: personal, professional, and intellectual. Using an example, describe how these areas may be interrelated. In your response include why the connection between these areas is significant.

I don't even want to think about this question. I could probably brute force it in an hour but it's just so... horrible

Wth I wouldn't even know how to interpret someone's response to that question.

Reactions: 11 users
Paper plate awards for Secondary Questions:

Least Favorite Question: Tied between "Describe a time you failed," (many schools) and "what unique aspects of diversity will you bring to this class?" (many schools). In the end I think I had reasonable answers, but it took me a while to come up with good, relevant, (and non-incriminating) examples.

Most Personal Question/Took the Longest to Write: What is the most difficult obstacle you have faced? What resources did you marshall to confront it? How did this experience affect/transform your life? -Duke

Most Entertaining Secondary: USC-Keck. Gems include: What is the most fun you’ve had in the last year? If you could give yourself a nickname, what would it be? etc.

Most Tedious Essay: "Why this school?" -Yale, Stanford, every school and their mother.

Most Obnoxious Secondary: -UMich. They have two secondary applications. The first is totally manageable. They send you a "second secondary" a few weeks before your interview, with more generic questions, and expect a quick turnaround. I was in Costa Rica with extremely limited internet access at the time, and I ended up writing my secondaries on my iPhone #firstworldproblems

Secondary To Spend The Most Time Prepping For: -UCSD, or any school that asks you: "write an autobiography in x number of characters."

Secondary That Was Most Like My Primary aka the Why did you make me fill this out again, you already have all my activities and stuff? Award: -UCLA. Love the school, though.

Question to Which I Regret My Answer the Most: Describe a Time that You Were Not in the Majority? -Johns Hopkins. At the time I loved my answer. Looking back on it, I wish I had gone with something less.... meh. I was about to post details, but to preserve my anonymity, I won't go into it publicly. PM if interested, (but it's not that interesting).

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
"In providing patient care, should physicians maintain emotional distance or empathize with patients’ emotional states? As a physician, how would you deal with your own emotions?"
good luck

Reactions: 3 users
@onceawolverine I would be interested in hearing about your answers!

I feel like I'm going to pick my schools based on the ones that have the least annoying secondaries -_-

Provide in detail an experience of working with individual(s) from diverse background(s). What was the experience? How did it have an impact on you?

So much BS in that response...

Reactions: 4 users
Provide in detail an experience of working with individual(s) from diverse background(s). What was the experience? How did it have an impact on you?

So much BS in that response...

I actually like that one! But maybe because I feel like I have multiple experiences working with many different kinds of people so I kind of enjoy that one.

I'll start off:

LOL that question delayed me from turning in that secondary by like 2 months!

Nothing's worse than the autobiographies though.

Vanderbilt's autobiography question sucked if you didn't get an II. All that effort for nothing.

"Describe yourself (1,000 character limit):"

Sometimes a short limit is worse than an excessive one I feel. It was REALLY tough to describe my entire essence in 1,000 characters, especially since the prompt was so open-ended.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
*makes list of schools to NOT apply to*

Vanderbilt's autobiography question sucked if you didn't get an II. All that effort for nothing.

50 years from now, you might be glad that part of your autobiography is already pre-written lol.

Reactions: 2 users
USC's "describe the most fun you've had in the past year" made me come to the conclusion that I'm not really a fun person. Didn't apply there. Looking for fun things to do.

Reactions: 18 users
"Your credit card number:"
In all seriousness, this is my most disliked secondary question. Adcoms shake their heads at applicants with single-digit composite MCATs or wildly inappropriate personal statements. Yet they still "invite" those applicants to send along $100 (plus of course 2600 characters on "a time when working with others was challenging").

I appreciate admissions departments that take the time to conduct a secondary screen. It's an applicant-friendly policy.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
In all seriousness, this is my most disliked secondary question. Adcoms shake their heads at applicants with single-digit composite MCATs or wildly inappropriate personal statements. Yet they still "invite" those applicants to send along $100 (plus of course 2600 characters on "a time when working with others was challenging").

I admire admissions departments that take the time to conduct a secondary screen. It's an applicant-friendly policy.

Because of the large fee, Illinois states that they only give out secondaries to people they're seriously considering. How true this is is still up for speculation, but at least they make an effort to recognize it

Reactions: 1 users

I admire admissions departments that take the time to conduct a secondary screen. It's an applicant-friendly policy.
*cough* UChicago *cough*

Reactions: 1 users
Man I forgot how lame applying to medical school was

To the adcoms out there:

What percentage of "diversity" essays and "overcoming a challenge" essays do you find that are just like mostly BS?

Due to my personal experiences, I can write genuine "diversity" and "overcoming a challenge" essays. Unfortunately, this has been at the expense of my GPA. Therein lies the paradox...

Reactions: 9 users
To the adcoms out there:

What percentage of "diversity" essays and "overcoming a challenge" essays do you find that are just like mostly BS?

I'm kind of curious about this too... I wonder if it's better to send the II in early with BS or to take a long time but make a more thoughtful essay.. especially for the intersection of professional, honesty, etc. type questions

"In providing patient care, should physicians maintain emotional distance or empathize with patients’ emotional states? As a physician, how would you deal with your own emotions?"
good luck

I remember that question. I wanted to respond with: "I'm a dude, I don't have emotions."

The diversity essay is only BS if you don't bring any diversity. I loved that particular prompt.

Due to my personal experiences, I can write genuine "diversity" and "overcoming a challenge" essays. Unfortunately, this has been at the expense of my GPA. Therein lies the paradox...

I'm in the same boat.

Some parts of my app are 5-star amazing, while others make me want to puke. This upcoming cycle is going to be an adventure, thats for sure.

I'm kind of curious about this too... I wonder if it's better to send the II in early with BS or to take a long time but make a more thoughtful essay.. especially for the intersection of professional, honesty, etc. type questions

Write thoughtful responses. If you don't, you'll regret it while you're sitting at home in December with nothing but time and no interview. Not surprising in retrospect, but almost all (80%) of my interviews were to the schools that I applied to last. Why? I'd become much better at writing secondary essays by then, and generally was no longer in a rush.

Last edited:
On the diversity question:

"I AM the diversity."

Boom.

On the diversity question:

"I AM the diversity."

Boom.

Q. "What diversity will you bring to our school?"

A. "I don't like answering vaguely-worded questions about hypothetical future situations. No, that's not a refusal to answer the question. That IS the diversity I would bring."

*cough* UChicago *cough*

Seriously. They rejected me less than 24 hours after I submitted my secondary. I felt like asking for a refund.

What is your most hated secondary question? I'm talking about those questions that make you want to tear your hair out, those questions that make you reconsider applying to the school!

Looking over my gigantic spreadsheet of secondary essays (26 pages total, 10 point font), I think the worst question that I got was from NEOMED: Provide a specific example of how you promoted diversity in your community. All of the diversity questions were challenging for me, a white straight middle class female, but this one took the cake.

The other annoying prompt that stands out was from Case Western. It asked you to describe your research experience in 3500 characters (which is actually quite hard to do in that character limit, especially when you've worked on multiple projects).

Also, I greatly resented having to reenter coursework and extracurricular activities that could easily be viewed on AMCAS (UC Davis and OHSU stand out for this).

Looking over my gigantic spreadsheet of secondary essays (26 pages total, 10 point font), I think the worst question that I got was from NEOMED: Provide a specific example of how you promoted diversity in your community. All of the diversity questions were challenging for me, a white straight middle class female, but this one took the cake.
Lol- I'm starting to think that answering these diversity questions should be optional. And this is coming from someone who would actually benefit from them.

So seriously what do white people and Asians usually write about on diversity questions?

This is completely an assumption on my part, but I can't imagine that those diversity questions are easily for minorities either. I would find myself questioning whether the Admissions Committee would think I was complaining or exaggerating in some way. I almost feel like, if you were an ethnic minority, you'd be tempted to write about something else lest you be considered too predictable or be accused of playing "the race card."

Life experience.

What do you mean by this?

This is completely an assumption on my part, but I can't imagine that those diversity questions are easily for minorities either. I would find myself questioning whether the Admissions Committee would think I was complaining or exaggerating in some way. I almost feel like, if you were an ethnic minority, you'd be tempted to write about something else lest you be considered too predictable or be accused of playing "the race card."

What's so bad about playing a card you have?

Hmmm, I guess it depends on the context of the question. It's possible that a white applicant lives in a pre-dominantly black community. Or, you can be a country boy from Tennessee attending Columbia University in Manhattan. I guess the easier way to pull this off would be an EC that involves people from a different demographic :shrug:

I'm actually a poor Hispanic immigrant who lives in a pre-dominantly white (and affluent) area. It looks like this sort of question would be a bit easier for me to answer.

What's so bad about playing a card you have?

Nothing wrong with playing a card you have; I'm just suggesting that some people might feel a tad uncomfortable doing so. Like you're having to justify to the Admissions Committee why the diversity you bring, be it racial, ethnic, socioeconomic, should be valued.

Hmmm, I guess it depends on the context of the question. It's possible that a white applicant lives in a pre-dominantly black community. Or, you can be a country boy from Tennessee attending Columbia University in Manhattan. I guess the easier way to pull this off would be an EC that involves people from a different demographic :shrug:

I'm actually a poor Hispanic immigrant who lives in a pre-dominantly white (and affluent) area. It looks like this sort of question would be a bit easier for me to answer.

I actually did something similar to this for my diversity essays. I wrote about attending predominantly black public schools, and how the college I went to was extremely diverse. Because I've had so many experiences working and living alongside different types of people, I am able to help unite people together. Or something like that. :)

Diversity needs to be taken into account in the admissions process, but let's face it, these questions are awkward.

What do you mean by this?

You are what? Twenty-ish years old? (That's an educated guess)

Take something you have done in those 20 years which is not usual amongst premeds. Once you have a topic, your essay is half done.

So seriously what do white people and Asians usually write about on diversity questions?

Diversity encompasses more than just race/ethnicity. Think gender and sexual orientation, immigrant status, economic diversity, disability, etc. Honestly, life experience is pretty important too especially since a large percentage of applicants are applying as non-trads! I've seen plenty of mothers or fathers, career changers, and ex-military on the interview trail.

However, I was able to draw from my experiences growing up in very diverse communities, growing up in poverty, and being labeled as special ed.

Hmm most hated secondary question..."where do you see yourself in 10 years?"

You guys are thinking way too narrow. You can have an uncommon major, significant post-college work experience, have an advanced degree, be simply older, etc. They're just looking for something unique that you bring to the table. Medicine doesn't want a bunch of cookie-cutter pre-meds that all have exactly the same education and experiences.

You guys are thinking way too narrow. You can have an uncommon major, significant post-college work experience, have an advanced degree, be simply older, etc. They're just looking for something unique that you bring to the table. Medicine doesn't want a bunch of cookie-cutter pre-meds that all have exactly the same education and experiences.
Yep, I was being a bit narrow. However, I still feel that this is difficult to answer for many pre-meds. On the other hand, as I mentioned above, working with a different community would definitely help the more cookie-cutter candidates.
Diversity encompasses more than just race/ethnicity. Think gender and sexual orientation, immigrant status, economic diversity, disability, etc. Honestly, life experience is pretty important too especially since a large percentage of applicants are applying as non-trads! I've seen plenty of mothers or fathers, career changers, and ex-military on the interview trail.

However, I was able to draw from my experiences growing up in very diverse communities, growing up in poverty, and being labeled as special ed.

Thanks for elaborating!

Last edited:

I'll start off:

All 3 of those prompts for that secondary sucked

My diversity essay was about my art education. I'm very grateful for that question, since I think it provided a different perspective on my application than would have been obtained from my primary alone.

The question I hated the most... Hmmm. OHSU had multiple pretty tough questions, and I didn't love that, but they were among the first I wrote. I didn't like this one: " Describe an event or a time when your personal contribution was instrumental to the success of a team or made a positive impact on someone else's life." In general, I didn't like essays that specifically asked you to brag about yourself because I found it awkward to talk about how a team's success was really due to me. I don't know. I just don't like blunt bragging.

Yep, I was being a bit narrow. However, I still feel that this is difficult to answer for many pre-meds. On the other hand, as I mentioned above, working with a different community would definitely help the more cookie-cutter candidates.!
The fact that this question is difficult for you to answer illustrates why it's a good question. It helps differentiate some candidates from others. You just have to accept that you're not going to have every quality that med schools are looking for.

My diversity essay was about my art education. I'm very grateful for that question, since I think it provided a different perspective on my application than would have been obtained from my primary alone.

The question I hated the most... Hmmm. OHSU had multiple pretty tough questions, and I didn't love that, but they were among the first I wrote. I didn't like this one: " Describe an event or a time when your personal contribution was instrumental to the success of a team or made a positive impact on someone else's life." In general, I didn't like essays that specifically asked you to brag about yourself because I found it awkward to talk about how a team's success was really due to me. I don't know. I just don't like blunt bragging.

That's the kind of prompt I would love to get, I can just point to any number of CPR's or Traumas or the few MCI's where I was the lead medic in charge of the scene and how my direction accomplished the goal and helped people. But seriously, bragging about yourself is difficult, but on these types of essays, just be honest, be yourself, think outside the box, and try to give them a glimpse into the type of person you are, and what your motivations in life are. Am I looking forward to this application cycle? No. Its going to be a long, difficult road, I look forward to the challenge, but its definitely going to spike my anxiety.

The fact that this question is difficult for you to answer illustrates why it's a good question. It helps differentiate some candidates from others. You just have to accept that you're not going to have every quality that med schools are looking for.
That's an excellent way of putting it. It does necessitate reflection and self-awareness. If anything, thinking about this should be beneficial to everyone.

@womanofscience, I'm happy your interview trail was filled with diversity. It makes me, as a non-trad (with a unique story), feel better about this process.

Hmm... I'm a cis-gendered heterosexual 1st generation asian immigrant (my parents immigrated here) traditional applicant that grew up pretty privileged. I think I just described half of the application pool. I'm gonna have to think about this question for a while I guess, I suppose it is much easier for non trads to write about this question.