Your own dental work once in school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

reLAXgirl

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be entering dental school in the fall and am curious about getting my own dental work done while I am a student. How does this usually work? I have friends that trade work on each other, etc, but is this common? Mostly, I have had some problems with my jaw since being hit while playing lacrosse. I mentioned the grinding, popping, and seeming dislocation (at times) to my local dentist who recommended I wait until school to start to get it checked out there. Is this easily done?

Thanks for the help.

Members don't see this ad.

you go to the clinic and they usually either do it for free, or something like 50% of what the clinic normally charges. D3's and D4's get to do it, or a resident basically.

reLAXgirl said:
I will be entering dental school in the fall and am curious about getting my own dental work done while I am a student. How does this usually work? I have friends that trade work on each other, etc, but is this common? Mostly, I have had some problems with my jaw since being hit while playing lacrosse. I mentioned the grinding, popping, and seeming dislocation (at times) to my local dentist who recommended I wait until school to start to get it checked out there. Is this easily done?

Thanks for the help.

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah, it actually kinda depends on your school and what their policy is. At temple, anything work done by an undergrad student is free, and anything done by grad students, you have to pay. I have heard though of work done by grad students being free at some schools, so it really depends on your school's policy.

picklebaron said:
Are you going from los angeles to iowa city? It's cold up there. :) I just moved from Iowa City to L.A.

No. Lax is actually short for lacrosse, the sport.