Your study habits?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ericn2k3

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
NOTE: I'm the type that usually study 4-5 days before an exam, albeit, not the smartest when it comes to studying but that's just how I am.

That aside, for those that ALSO exhibit this poor studying habits, what do you do to make it work for you?

P.S. Save the "you should be studying all along" and the likes. We ALL know that!

Members don't see this ad.

I was a HUGE procrastinator during my P1-P3 years. I wouldn't start studying until 1-3 days before the exam depending on which class it was. I always pulled all nighters to pass my exams since I wait till the very last minute to study... I tend to get way more studying done when it's the night before the exam since I know I'm running out of time and can't afford to fail. I either go to school and stay there over night or stay in my room all night cramming as much as I can up till the exam.

I usually start studying WAAY before the exam, like the day of the actual lecture and then I just do a brief review of it 2-3 days before the exam. The review for me is basically just typing all of the notes. And I do not do all nighters, I'm either asleep or playing Modern Warfare 2 or the Starcraft 2 Beta the night before the exam.

Members don't see this ad :)
I skip all classes, get the handouts and lecture recordings from friends, type up everything, then try to start at least 3 days in advance of the test really studying it. I can only study well under pressure for some reason, but it seems to work. I'm passing everything. I don't know how some people can actually keep up with everything and not have to worry about cramming everything the few days before the test. There's just too much to keep up with.

See rx2010's post above, which describes my awesome study habits perfectly.

Last edited:
I skip all classes, get the handouts and lecture recordings from friends, type up everything, then try to start at least 3 days in advance of the test really studying it. I can only study well under pressure for some reason, but it seems to work. I'm passing everything. I don't know how some people can actually keep up with everything and not have to worry about cramming everything the few days before the test. There's just too much to keep up with.

See rx2010's post above, which describes my awesome study habits perfectly.

You sound just like me... I skipped all of my classes and got the notes and recordings from my friends, too. If I try to study way in advance, I don't really get any "real" studying done because I know the test isn't coming up until later, so I can't really concentrate or stay focused.

By the way, I only made one C the entire 4 years in pharmacy school, so this study method worked out for me. :)

What do you guys do instead of going to class then?

Typed lectures, slept, whatever I want to do. I have to go back and listen to the lecture again even when I do go to class in order to type it up to have good notes to study. So what's the point in going?

I was a HUGE procrastinator during my P1-P3 years. I wouldn't start studying until 1-3 days before the exam depending on which class it was. I always pulled all nighters to pass my exams since I wait till the very last minute to study... I tend to get way more studying done when it's the night before the exam since I know I'm running out of time and can't afford to fail. I either go to school and stay there over night or stay in my room all night cramming as much as I can up till the exam.
Lol, I'm exactly the same way. I usually do amazing on midterms because there isn't a lot of material to go through right before the exam, but then these habits screw me up in the finals. However, I end up with a decent mark anyways which positively reinforces my habits haha.

What do you guys do instead of going to class then?

I sleep in during the day, run errands, etc. The extra sleep I get from skipping class gives me the energy to stay up all night to cram for my exams. I very seldom pay attention in class, so there's no point in going. I'd rather skip and listen to the lectures at home when my attention span is much better.

I also only usually study for 4-5 days before the exam and never really thought of it as a poor habit before. I usually do pretty well, so I guess it just works for me. If I know the test is going to cover mass amounts of material (like therapeutics), I will try to study as we go. But usually I find that I am too busy every day to keep up with the notes in every class.

I'm a P1 in a 3-year program and I study about 2-3 days before an exam. It varies based on workload for the week, but I typically have 2-3 exams/week along with 2-3 quizzes.

As an undergrad, I'd typically begin my studies at least a week before exams.

What's the format of pharmacy school tests?

Listing
Multiple Choice
Short Answer
Essay
?

Listing
Multiple Choice
Short Answer
Essay
?

I've had all of these. It just depends on the teacher. The vast majority is multiple choice but I've had all of those throughout school. This semester (2nd semester of P3), I've had more short answer and essay questions than other semesters especially in therapeutics.

Depends on how much time I have. Usually Im reviewing notes a week before, writing up a study sheet the night before then cramming the last juicy bits of info in my brain the day of.

This semester I havent had much time. I have 2-3 quizes a week and 1 exam a week. Im doing well enough, though. No straight As but I get the job done and remember everything for the most part.

Listing
Multiple Choice
Short Answer
Essay
?

Fill in the blank, very confusing multiple choice, and K type questions.

I've had multiple choice questions that had 6 (six) choices.

Fill in the blank, very confusing multiple choice, and K type questions.

I've had multiple choice questions that had 6 (six) choices.

Ooooh I hate K type questions. They need to do away with those.