You're going to be a doctor? Look at this [blank] and tell me what you think it is..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

djohnston

nothin fancy
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
You know how this goes. People find out you're going into medicine and the next you know they (or usually its their "friend") have such and such symptoms and they want to know what it is. Or better yet, they start taking off their clothes to show you some weird growth or mole :eek: .

Lets get a thread going with your best stories

~d

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, my mom's been telling me about all these people she knows who are sick. She'll tell me what the diagnosis is, and usually I haven't even heard of it so I'll have to say something like, "Mom, I don't know anything about that." Now I'm tutoring one of her friends who's in nursing school, and she'll ask me if I want to look at her IV maintenance book while I'm over at her house, and I'll be like, "Sure, but I've still got to learn a lot of other stuff before I get to that." It's like people think once you get into med school you automatically know something about diseases.

A friend at church who is nearly albino and walks in the sun all day as a letter carrier for the USPS asked what I thought of his new skin rash. Because, as he said, "you're going to be a doctor". I referred him to one of the other five real doctors who attend my church.

Members don't see this ad :)
Some of my friends had been drinking and one of them fell and cut himself. I got a phone call from them asking for me to come over (I have taken some very basic first aid). So I get over there and he needed stitches. He didn't want to go to the hospital, so my friends asked me if I could give him the stitches. Needless to say, I thought that was a bad idea!

polargirl said:
Some of my friends had been drinking and one of them fell and cut himself. I got a phone call from them asking for me to come over (I have taken some very basic first aid). So I get over there and he needed stitches. He didn't want to go to the hospital, so my friends asked me if I could give him the stitches. Needless to say, I thought that was a bad idea!
but what a great way to get clinical training. dont ya think?

I'm not even in medical school yet, but when my boss of 5 years and his wife found out I was applying, they launched into a 20 minute description about his recent surgery. This wasn't bad in itself until they began to to talk about the problems he had had with his anesthesia and now he couldn't get it up :eek: :confused: ! Then they asked me what I thought was wrong and what they should do to fix his sexual problems. What a weird conversation!!!!