ZERO job growth outlook predicted by U.S. bureau labor till 2028!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmd718

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
With so many pharmacy schools opening and so many graduating, finding work is becoming extremely hard. This profession is dying. Look at the pharmacist positions available and you will see reduced pay and reduced hours. Pharmacists working in retail have seeing their hours drastically cut and now the pay is being reduced. You can find a pharmacist position as a supervising pharmacist listed at $36 per hour.

The link below shows the US bureau research. its shows a net loss of 100 jobs from 2018 to 2028. For the life of me I don't understand why students don't research the demand for the profession before investing their time and money.

Members don't see this ad.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users
Yet you still have 15,000 new grads hitting the market each year.

It's just as good as borrowing $200k, throwing it in the trash, and struggling for the rest of your life to pay off the money you borrowed.

Reactions: 2 users
Yet you still have 15,000 new grads hitting the market each year.

It's just as good as borrowing $200k, throwing it in the trash, and struggling for the rest of your life to pay off the money you borrowed.

hey at least you learn about drugs

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi pharmd718 -
I initially shared the same concerns about those predictions as you, however after attending the virtual pharmacy school fair, I have been reassured by several schools representatives that these types of predictions are nothing to worry about. Here are some quotes from my chats when I inquired about job outlook predictions:
  • Yes, however as the population ages there will be growing areas for a pharmacist to work.
  • I've heard that about other professions too but good pharmacist are still working. Do you have a specific area you are interested in?
  • *It is not an exact prediction of the future.
  • There is no accurate prediction of the future. So many variables do change. As an example, in California now, the Governor just granted pharmacists the authority to order and administer Covid-19 tests:
    https://www.pharmacytimes.com/news/pharmacists-granted-authority-to-order-administer-covid-19-tests-in-california

These are all great points!

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Do you think the BLS doesn't forecast for an aging population and retirement? Yes there are segments of pharmacy that are growing but they are small niche jobs and the majority is decreasing faster.

All I have to say is would you invest 200k in a business that has a 0% return or if you were a bank would you give them a loan?

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Why are people still enrolling in pharmacy school?

Do they simply do not do their own research into the pharmacy job market?

Reactions: 1 user
Why are people still enrolling in pharmacy school?

Do they simply do not do their own research into the pharmacy job market?

they can’t get into anything else

• Okay...
  • Hmm
Reactions: 3 users
So are they saying there will be job growth after 2028? Hard to see job growth ever happening again for pharmacy.

So are they saying there will be job growth after 2028? Hard to see job growth ever happening again for pharmacy.

Will there be the US of A in 2028?

Will there be the US of A in 2028?

Yes but it's obvious that pharmacy is a dying profession just like librarians, secretaries, travel agents, taxi drivers etc.

• Sad
I'm just glad I paid my student loan debt off quickly...

I love listening to the schools trying to spin the BLS stats to suit their agendas. I swear its like watching a White House briefing.

Never take advise from someone who stands to profit from your decision.

Reactions: 5 users
With so many pharmacy schools opening and so many graduating, finding work is becoming extremely hard. This profession is dying. Look at the pharmacist positions available and you will see reduced pay and reduced hours. Pharmacists working in retail have seeing their hours drastically cut and now the pay is being reduced. You can find a pharmacist position as a supervising pharmacist listed at $36 per hour.

The link below shows the US bureau research. its shows a net loss of 100 jobs from 2018 to 2028. For the life of me I don't understand why students don't research the demand for the profession before investing their time and money.

If this is an honest prediction by the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, then would new pharmacy grads start submitting applications for borrower defense to loan repayment forgiveness?

"Did the school tell you a certain percentage of graduates get jobs in their field? If so, what exactly did the school tell you? Who told you? Where and when did they tell you? If you know the real percentage was lower, what was it?"

"Did you earn less after graduation than the school promised you would? If you got a job after graduation, how much did you earn? Did you earn less than you did before going to school?"

"Did the school promise you would be employed in your field after graduation, but that didn't happen? If so, what exactly did the school tell you? Who told you? Where and when did they tell you? How long did you spend looking for a job in your field? Approximately how many jobs in your field did you apply to? If you got a job outside of your field, what kind of job was it? Did you earn less in your job after attending school than you earned before?"

"Did the school promise it would help you get a job, but it didn't? If so, what exactly did the school tell you? Who told you? Where and when did they tell you?"

The acceptance rates of pharmacy schools have gone way up due to less applicants. It's important to note that someone graduating this year started the pre-pharmacy path in 2012-2013. I just graduated and am extremely thankful that I found a great job, after hours and hours job searching and messaging strangers on LinkedIn. I wouldn't recommend my family or friends, or total strangers to apply to pharmacy school now.

I feel like the increasing amount of residency programs are giving graduates a false sense of security. What I am seeing in my friends, is that if you do not do a PGY2, and the hospital that you do your PGY1 at does not hire you upon completion, you may still struggle to find a job. I know someone who graduated 2 years ago and did a PGY1 at a smaller community hospital, and he now works at CVS.