Zoo Externship Opinions Please: Woodland Park, Columbus, Oklahoma City

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

benbraves

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a third year veterinary student and trying to decide between Woodland Park Zoo, Columbus Zoo and Aquarium, and Oklahoma City Zoo. Has anyone worked with externs at these sites or done externships at any of them? Any opinions on which two I should choose or which one I should eliminate. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You are likely too late to get an externship at these places - so you might as well contact them all to see if they even have any openings. Most big zoo externships are full 12-18+ months in advance.

Members don't see this ad :)
To qualify, have already gotten into these zoos, deciding which to accept.

I did an externship at the Oklahoma City Zoo and I really enjoyed it. Just to warn you though, I have been told by many that it is quite taboo to over-apply to zoo externships and end up turning some down. Not sure how you can avoid it now though.

I have many friends that worked at Woodland Park Zoo as keepers and loved it, for whatever it's worth. Don't know anyone who has done an externship though.

Good luck! Seattle is awesome!

To qualify, have already gotten into these zoos, deciding which to accept.

Nice, congrats! Are you thinking pretty seriously about pursuing a career in zoo/wildlife medicine? Any other fun externships lined up?

I recently wrote a little article about my externship experience at the National Zoo in D.C. I know that's not one of the places you're choosing between but it should still get you excited for your own externship.

http://www.elliottgarber.com/do-you-want-to-be-a-zoo-vet-national-zoo-veterinary-externship

I did an externship at the Oklahoma City Zoo and I really enjoyed it. Just to warn you though, I have been told by many that it is quite taboo to over-apply to zoo externships and end up turning some down.

If the externships are selective (meaning not guaranteed) how can you avoid over-applying?

They all have different deadlines (and many have rolling deadlines) so you just apply for your top choice (or choices depending on how much off campus time you have) and then only apply for another one if you get rejected from one. Its not particularly convenient, but it has been what I have been told over and over. The way it was explained to me is that when it comes to a zoo externship, they have put a decent amount of time into picking you and fitting you into their schedule that if you then reject the position, they don't appreciate the time they wasted.

I'm a bit late on this thread but I applied to quite a few zoos as well, because most actually did have a deadline (Oct/Nov) so there wasn't much choice. Better to over apply than to get nothing...do they really get mad about turning them down?

I've dealt with this turning people down in other fields. IMHO, Most people are reasonable and understand if you just explain your situation. There may very well be a "code" for zoo externships and there might be some fuddy duds that will actually hold it against you, but you probably don't want to work for people like that anyway.