Zoonotic diseases? PLEASE HELP!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Willotree

C/O 2021?
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm going to be volunteering at the wildlife centre and I am super excited! However, at the same time I am a little bit anxious because of all the different diseases a wildlife animal can pass onto humans. The volunteer coordinator was going over the different diseases that can be spread from animals to humans and the one that worries me the most is the Raccoon Roundworm! Of course I won't be going around eating raccoon feces but what happens if raccoon dung somehow gets on my clothes and follows me home. I was told to wash my volunteer clothes separately from other clothes so that obviously entails risks of whatever disease latching onto my clothes. Ok.. so I obviously don't want to enter my house and have zoonotic bacteria falling onto the carpet as I make my way to the washroom to take the shower. Please someone whos had experience with wildlife animals inform me on how to literally enter my house after my volunteer shift lol.

Members don't see this ad.

Can you change clothes on site? Most of the advice I've seen is to wash your shoes before getting into your car, and then put your clothes in the washing machine as soon as you get home. You can change after work and put your dirty clothes in a plastic bag to transport.

Reactions: 1 user
I would be more worried about bringing in stuff your pets could catch. If you have a laundry room that's accessible through the outside of your house, pass by there first and take off your scrubs/clothes and then go inside and take a shower. You might be a little overly paranoid, though. :p

Members don't see this ad :)
Not to make you even more paranoid, I got viral meningitis working with wildlife. That really sucked. But that's the only thing I've ever gotten sick of and I worked with lots and lots of wildlife.

Just wash your hands and be mindful of making sure to shower and change into clean clothing after your shift.

Reactions: 1 users
Can you change clothes on site? Most of the advice I've seen is to wash your shoes before getting into your car, and then put your clothes in the washing machine as soon as you get home. You can change after work and put your dirty clothes in a plastic bag to transport.

Ok I'll change my clothes after my shift, but what happens if the bacteria is in my hair instead. What happens if the bacteria gets on my belongings? LOL sorry if I sound insane but I am genuinely concerned.

Also I'm not going to be working in the rabies sector, but is it still recommended to get the rabies vaccination regardless?

Not to make you even more paranoid, I got viral meningitis working with wildlife. That really sucked. But that's the only thing I've ever gotten sick of and I worked with lots and lots of wildlife.

Just wash your hands and be mindful of making sure to shower and change into clean clothing after your shift.
I got chlamydia from a bird at work. To this day my doctor doesn't believe it was from a bird. . . neither do my friends. :(

Reactions: 11 users
I haven't had any bad experiences with zoonoses working at the wildlife center in my area (granted I've only been there about 9 months), and my orientation left me really paranoid about them too. I just wash my hands obsessively and try to be conscious about not touching my face while at work. I come home and take a shower right away, and I also have a separate pair of old tennis shoes I just wear there.

Last edited:
I got chlamydia from a bird at work. To this day my doctor doesn't believe it was from a bird. . . neither do my friends. :(

I feel like it's because you used Chlamydia vs Chlamydophila. I see that you can use both (at least per the internet), but I think we've always been taught the latter. I'd hope a doctor would have actually heard of "parrot" fever at least at some point in med school, but maybe not.

I feel like it's because you used Chlamydia vs Chlamydophila. I see that you can use both (at least per the internet), but I think we've always been taught the latter. I'd hope a doctor would have actually heard of "parrot" fever at least at some point in med school, but maybe not.
Isn't Chlamydophila just the phylum that Chlamydia is included in? The avian vets at work always said Chlamydia and that's what came up as positive so that's what I've always used. Thanks for the heads up! :) Off to defend my honor with this new information!

Also I'm not going to be working in the rabies sector, but is it still recommended to get the rabies vaccination regardless?
I know I am not permitted to work with main rabies vector species because I haven't been vaccinated yet, and working with low risk mammals don't worry me too much. I wear gloves for most of the mammals anyway in case they do bite, and then I know the facility where I work requires lots of follow-up and testing if someone does get bitten by anything (pretty sure this is standard anywhere). And we're really careful with any animals with any neuro signs. Also, from what I understand, rabies is really treatable if it's caught early (correct me if I'm wrong, that's just what I got from class).

Isn't Chlamydophila just the phylum that Chlamydia is included in? The avian vets at work always said Chlamydia and that's what came up as positive so that's what I've always used. Thanks for the heads up! :) Off to defend my honor with this new information!

Never really traced the whole classification of it, but possibly(I'd check but I'm getting read to clean up the piggies and go to bed). I just know that our exotics vet said Chlamydophila psittaci in our avian class so I just always thought of it as genus and species.

ETA: Apparently it has been reclassified to Chlamydia per Wikipedia...but Wikipedia also still lists Clamydophila as genus on the side bar.

I have volunteered/interned with a wildlife rehab organization for about two years. My suggestions would be to have a specific pair of shoes you only wear to that facility, change your shoes before getting in your car, change your clothes asap as soon as you get home. I have yet to contract some outrageous zoonotic disease. :) This is not to say don't be careful-- there is a reason they educate you about these things during orientation-- but it is to say don't be paranoid to the point where you are paralyzed with fear from doing anything. Be smart, wash your hands, follow protocol. Wear gloves if you feel it would be wise/your rehab center protocol asks for it it; I almost always wear gloves when cleaning waterfowl cages, for example. I do wash my scrubs separately from the rest of my clothes as well.

In terms of getting vaccinated for rabies-- I personally wouldn't worry about it unless you want to work with rabies vector species. I am not rabies vaccinated, and the only things I am exempt from working with are raccoons, bats, and whatever other RVS mammals we happen to get in occasionally. That leaves me with squirrels, chipmunks, rabbits, woodchucks, possums, waterfowl, raptors, the whole host of songbirds, amphibs and reptiles, etc. Lots of species. Not too major of a limitation, in my opinion.

Enjoy your wildlife adventures! You're coming in at a good time, baby season will very soon be upon us. :)

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Also, from what I understand, rabies is really treatable if it's caught early (correct me if I'm wrong, that's just what I got from class).
This is not entirely true. Once signs appear it's not very treatable, and still considered 100% fatal at that point (a handful of people worldwide have recovered). If the vaccine series is started quickly after exposure, it is effective in preventing the disease.

Ok I'll change my clothes after my shift, but what happens if the bacteria is in my hair instead. What happens if the bacteria gets on my belongings? LOL sorry if I sound insane but I am genuinely concerned.

You should have a locker or other space for any stuff you bring with you. If you're that worried, leave it in the car. Have a pair of shoes just for the job. When you get out of the car to go into your house, change your shoes and leave the work shoes in the car. When you get inside, take all of your clothes off and wash them. (It would be great if you could change at work, like in a bathroom or something, then just bag the clothes there.) Get into the shower, use soap and shampoo and all that good stuff. Wash your hands after work and before going home, wash your hands before you eat or stick your fingers in your mouth and don't eat raccoon poop.

Also, you say you aren't working in the rabies sector, but raccoons are pretty big on the rabies scene, so I would definitely be vaccinated if you're going to be working with bats, raccoons or skunks in particular.

This is not entirely true. Once signs appear it's not very treatable, and still considered 100% fatal at that point (a handful of people worldwide have recovered). If the vaccine series is started quickly after exposure, it is effective in preventing the disease.

Okay thanks; that's what I thought but didn't want to go posting misinformation. :p

Chlamydia psittaci in birds = avian chlamydiosis
Chlamydia psittaci in humans = Psittacosis

Not to make you even more paranoid, I got viral meningitis working with wildlife.
My sister got meningitis from our pet turtle when we were really young - she's OK now but we were never allowed any more pet reptiles growing up. Not an illness you want to mess around with :/

My sister got meningitis from our pet turtle when we were really young - she's OK now but we were never allowed any more pet reptiles growing up. Not an illness you want to mess around with :/

Wut? Salmonella meningitis I assume. Did she put the turtle in her mouth repeatedly or something? Did they actually culture Salm, was she septicemic? It's a pretty rare condition, unless we're talking unsupervised babies.

Used to be Chlamydia psittaci, then they differentiated out some Chlamydophila spp. from the Chlamydia spp. It's now Chlamydophila psittaci (avian virus), but Chlamydia trachomatis (human STD).

I have been working with wildlife for years (the majority of that time was before I got my rabies vx, FYI). I have never had a single problem, and this is coming from someone who is a nail biter.

Use common sense, it goes a long way. Wear gloves, change said gloves between animals, and just wash your hands. I never did anything like changing shoes/clothes before entering my house. I would have been more careful if my college apartment had pets.

Frankly, I feel like my risk of contracting something is higher in GP. Typically, with wildlife rehab/medicine, the handling is at a bare minimum. The risk to contract something definitely exists, but you're not letting a raccoon lick your face like you would a puppy (not that you should....).

I have been working with wildlife for years (the majority of that time was before I got my rabies vx, FYI). I have never had a single problem, and this is coming from someone who is a nail biter.

Use common sense, it goes a long way. Wear gloves, change said gloves between animals, and just wash your hands. I never did anything like changing shoes/clothes before entering my house. I would have been more careful if my college apartment had pets.

Frankly, I feel like my risk of contracting something is higher in GP. Typically, with wildlife rehab/medicine, the handling is at a bare minimum. The risk to contract something definitely exists, but you're not letting a raccoon lick your face like you would a puppy (not that you should....).

This. The emphasis on minimal handling is really big, and unless it's a baby/really small animal, we always have something between us and the animal, whether it be gloves or a blanket/towel when we hold them. I haven't had any problems with the wildlife, and then in contrast my work on a farm is very hands on and doesn't leave time for frequent handwashing, and I have ended up with a couple cases of ringworm which I link back to that. Not a big deal but it traces back to differences in handling and exposure.

Also, I'm not saying that because I haven't had any problems you won't either; I know plenty of people do and I have pretty minimal experience relatively, I was just saying that some care with handling should go a long way to minimizing risk.

Last edited:
Also, from what I understand, rabies is really treatable if it's caught early (correct me if I'm wrong, that's just what I got from class).

"Caught" is probably a misleading way to put it, but yeah, you're right. If you're treated soon after being exposed, treatment is almost 100% effective. But if it progresses to clinical signs before being caught, then it's essentially 100% fatal.

That's why exposure isn't too huge of a deal as long as you recognize the exposure and seek treatment. The cases that have bad outcomes (in the U.S.) are pretty much always unknown exposure (transplant recipient, bat getting indoors while sleeping, etc.) or people not reporting exposure (dog bite without seeking medical care).

"Caught" is probably a misleading way to put it, but yeah, you're right. If you're treated soon after being exposed, treatment is almost 100% effective. But if it progresses to clinical signs before being caught, then it's essentially 100% fatal.

That's why exposure isn't too huge of a deal as long as you recognize the exposure and seek treatment. The cases that have bad outcomes (in the U.S.) are pretty much always unknown exposure (transplant recipient, bat getting indoors while sleeping, etc.) or people not reporting exposure (dog bite without seeking medical care).

It's worth noting, though, that treatment with post-exposure prophylactic vaccines is very expensive.......the required series of PEP shots can cost $2000-$3000 (0r more) per person in the US. Depending on what doctor/hospital/ER, it might be closer $5000 per person.