am I cut out for psych?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

osteodoct

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I just started sx rotation (1st rotation) as a third year, and I'm hating it!...anyhow, I'm a pretty low key person that likes ordered days-is psych for me? I am interested in it, but I've yet to actually work in psych ward. is the lifestyle fabulous? I am looking for good hours, etc.

Members don't see this ad.

Don't go into this field just because of better hours. Common, is that what you're going to say at your interview?

I wouldn't judge until you do your psychiatry rotation. Then make a decision. If you're interested in psychiatry, make sure your rotation is at a place that actually gives you a good exposure to it.

Yes the hours are better, but there are things about the field that could be interpreted as worse.

E.g. I saw one of my patients at the mall, and the same guy threatened to kill me a few weeks earlier. In other fields, you see a patient and they're thanking you for saving their life. In this field, you're committing patients against their will. You think they're going to be happy when they see you?

osteodoct said:
Hi,
I just started sx rotation (1st rotation) as a third year, and I'm hating it!...anyhow, I'm a pretty low key person that likes ordered days-is psych for me? I am interested in it, but I've yet to actually work in psych ward. is the lifestyle fabulous? I am looking for good hours, etc.

I actually don't think psych days are all that ordered. Perhaps looking at a schedule, it may appear so- you have a patient that marches through the office every half hour, or hour...etc. However, the emotional aspect of this is hardly 'ordered.' I am personally a high intensity junkie, so I love this.

Members don't see this ad :)
osteodoct said:
Hi,

Your message says nothing about why you might be "cut out" for psychiatry. You only mentioned liking ordered days and good hours. People on this board are going to need more to help you out...

osteodoct said:
I am interested in it, but I've yet to actually work in psych ward. is the lifestyle fabulous? I am looking for good hours, etc.

A little words of wisdom about working inside of a psychatric hospital.

* You MUST have nerves of steel.
* You MUST have TONS of patience.
* You MUST want to help people no matter what the circumstance is.
* You MUST have self control (Some patients will try to piss you off)

The lifestyle is not pleasant.... simply because you will often have patients threatening your life ( perfect example in whopper's case) or you might have a patient snap and will try to kill you RIGHT inside the ward..

Oh and don't forget to know the laws by heart... a simply screw up means a lawsuit.

outofhere said:
I actually don't think psych days are all that ordered. Perhaps looking at a schedule, it may appear so- you have a patient that marches through the office every half hour, or hour...etc. However, the emotional aspect of this is hardly 'ordered.' I am personally a high intensity junkie, so I love this.

You would've loved my afternoon then. Scheduled intake cancelled, but suicidal guy shows up unannounced in waiting room. Nurse & I see him, decide he needs hospital, we directly admit. phone calls, etc for this put me 15 minutes behind, but first revist shows 10 minutes late for 20 min appt. Bipolar, depressed, not doing so hot--takes a full 20, so I'm now 10 minutes late for 2nd revist, who is deaf. Arrives with interpreter, wife, and FMLA form along with new increase in panic attacks. Wants me to say he doesn't have to go to work, I try to explain via ASL interp why that's a bad idea. Change his meds, etc., explaining all this and issuing samples means I'm now 20 minutes behind for next 20 minute visit as the following one arrives... Revisit #3 is relapsing on cocaine, doesn't see connection between cocaine use, depression, and ongoing desire to keep drinking....and on it goes. Day's winding down now--but I'll be here 2 hours doing paperwork. :(

At least I remembered to put some hefeweisen in the fridge....

OldPsychDoc said:
Day's winding down now--but I'll be here 2 hours doing paperwork. :(

Just admit that you guys LOVE doing them paper work!

Oh and don't forget to know the laws by heart... a simply screw up means a lawsuit.

Ummm, that's why there is always malpractice insurance, someone will always try to sue you. Hopefully, the more people that sue for bull****, the more attorneys and judges throw the crap out of court!

There are a lot of different psych practice environments once you're done with residency or fellowship: inpatient, outpatient, consult-liaison, forensic, child (inpt and outpt), addiction psychiatry, emergency psych, etc.

Some of these environments are ones in which you will periodically face the threat of violence and have to deal with agitative/combative patients; others aren't.

There's really a place for everyone, as long as you're interested in the basic principles/practice of the field and you find it intellectually stimulating to study. :thumbup:

psychmom1 said:
Ummm, that's why there is always malpractice insurance, someone will always try to sue you. Hopefully, the more people that sue for bull****, the more attorneys and judges throw the crap out of court!

Malpractice insurance can help.... however it wont help if theirs an on going investigation and wont stop the supervisor from screaming atcha :)

Ok, I do have patience..(?). I do have lots of self control when dealing with people that annoy me, and I do want to help pts. I'm not sure about the nerves of steel part. Are there steps you can take to minimize your risks (having a huge male nurse at your office, etc?). I'm a petite female. Also, working in an outpatient environment would lower these risks as well, correct?.

I'm just a "low-key individual"..intoverted, like time to think decisions through, etc. I know for sure that surgery is not for me. I like psych in general..i'm hoping I like my rotation too.

Anuwolf said:
A little words of wisdom about working inside of a psychatric hospital.

* You MUST have nerves of steel.
* You MUST have TONS of patience.
* You MUST want to help people no matter what the circumstance is.
* You MUST have self control (Some patients will try to piss you off)

The lifestyle is not pleasant.... simply because you will often have patients threatening your life ( perfect example in whopper's case) or you might have a patient snap and will try to kill you RIGHT inside the ward..

Thanks for describing your typical day. It really sounds interesting to me :) Maybe it is not structure that I necessarily need? I love examing what make people tick. I love personality disorders and understanding what (biology or social events) led up to the development of them. I like trying to change a person's motives, thought processes, etc to help the patients mental status. And I also think I'll enjoy prescibing and seeing improvements or even just maintenance. I like studying the biochemical differences between the mentally ill and the healthy. But this is all just in theory; I know the real test is if I like it in practice. I understand that parts of psych can be challenging- someone wanting to kill you-yikes! I guess that concept doesn't bother me right now. I was just wondering if it does tend to be more of a "better" lifestyle in terms of hours. (but that by itself is not the only reason I am looking into psych).

OldPsychDoc said:
You would've loved my afternoon then. Scheduled intake cancelled, but suicidal guy shows up unannounced in waiting room. Nurse & I see him, decide he needs hospital, we directly admit. phone calls, etc for this put me 15 minutes behind, but first revist shows 10 minutes late for 20 min appt. Bipolar, depressed, not doing so hot--takes a full 20, so I'm now 10 minutes late for 2nd revist, who is deaf. Arrives with interpreter, wife, and FMLA form along with new increase in panic attacks. Wants me to say he doesn't have to go to work, I try to explain via ASL interp why that's a bad idea. Change his meds, etc., explaining all this and issuing samples means I'm now 20 minutes behind for next 20 minute visit as the following one arrives... Revisit #3 is relapsing on cocaine, doesn't see connection between cocaine use, depression, and ongoing desire to keep drinking....and on it goes. Day's winding down now--but I'll be here 2 hours doing paperwork. :(

At least I remembered to put some hefeweisen in the fridge....

You are right. I think I wanted to know if there is a certain predominant personality type that fits into psych. I like studying psych. Not sure how I will react in the psych ward.

Big Lebowski said:
Your message says nothing about why you might be "cut out" for psychiatry. You only mentioned liking ordered days and good hours. People on this board are going to need more to help you out...

osteodoct said:
Ok, I do have patience..(?). I do have lots of self control when dealing with people that annoy me, and I do want to help pts. I'm not sure about the nerves of steel part. Are there steps you can take to minimize your risks (having a huge male nurse at your office, etc?). I'm a petite female. Also, working in an outpatient environment would lower these risks as well, correct?.

I'm just a "low-key individual"..intoverted, like time to think decisions through, etc. I know for sure that surgery is not for me. I like psych in general..i'm hoping I like my rotation too.

Hi there.

Have you ever considered doing some volunteer work at the state psychiatric hospital? You would gain so much for what you’re going to put yourself into. I admit that I’m not a doctor, however I’ve been inside of a psychiatric hospital 5 times total as a patient… 3 of the times I was baker acted. (Florida state law) I can honestly tell you that I was not the nicest person in the world on those 3 baker acts. I’m sure that the Tylenol with codeine (I was addicted to the medication at the time) mixed with the Penicillin did not help the situation. (The penicillin makes me cranky and bitchy) I admit to giving the psychiatric assessment nurses a hard time… I Even told my inpatient psychiatrist to go (bleep) himself and to go (bleep) off… simply because I DIDN’T WANTED TO BE THERE and that I knew that I would not be sleeping in my comfortable private bed for 3 days.

About the nerves of steel part, you need to NOT be afraid or fear of a patient that threatens your life. Or don’t take things personally.

I will discuss things later as I’m getting ready for bed! (Need to get up early in the morning!)

"About the nerves of steel part, you need to NOT be afraid or fear of a patient that threatens your life. Or don’t take things personally. "

Are you serious??

:confused:

psisci, How serious do you want me to get?

Have you ever considered doing some volunteer work at the state psychiatric hospital? You would gain so much for what you’re going to put yourself into.

Unfortunately, it is rather hard if not impossible to volunteer in a psych ward due to patient confidentiality and the Hippa laws.

psychmom1 said:
Unfortunately, it is rather hard if not impossible to volunteer in a psych ward due to patient confidentiality and the Hippa laws.

It all dependeds on where you are from.. Here in South Florida.... Anybody without any felony's and have a clean background can volunteer... of course theirs some strict rules to obey.

http://www.dcf.state.fl.us/institutions/nefsh/volunteersmain.shtml for more