July 10 MCAT and AMCAS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MDcation

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys.

I had some questions regarding the MCAT and the AMCAS application.

I am preparing to take the MCAT this July 10th, and eventually the scores will be released somewhere around August 12, 2008.

Should I submit my AMCAS when registration becomes available (in June) or sometime before I get my MCAT scores? Will my AMCAS be verified without my MCAT available if I submit my AMCAS in June or July?

Should I wait for MCAT scores to come in August and then fill out the AMCAS? Will I then be considered a late applicant since the AMCAS application will take a month or so to verify (so around September 2008)?

Your answers will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

You should submit your application as early as possible. If you wait until August, even if you do average or good on the MCAT, you can't count on your application to be looked at until January. If you submit in June, you will have a much higher chance of getting earlier interviews. Study hard for those MCATs as well... but find time for the application.

Thanks for the feedback.

But....

Isn't January far fetched in terms of the adcoms looking at your application?

From the threads that I have read on SDN, completion of secondaries would be in the september-october 2008 range if I opt for waiting to get my score in August and then completing and sending my AMCAS application (AMCAS will perhaps be verified sometime in September).

Am I correct? Anyone?

There is absolutely no reason to wait for your MCAT score to submit the AMCAS. Your AMCAS can take a good 6-8 weeks if you submit it in August (especially now that there's an MCAT every month, August is MUCH later than it used to be for this).

Here's what I'd do:
--Submit my AMCAS in early June. You can get it verified and most schools don't screen pre-secondary and you'll receive their secondaries.
--Meanwhile, get your letters of rec collected and submitted through premed advisor, interfolio, virtualevals, whatever.
--Take the MCAT in July.
--Secondaries are normally sent beginning around 7/15. I can't emphasize enough how essential it is to submit the ones you are sent around this time between then and around 8/14. Do these secondaries and turn them in w/o MCAT information. You letters of rec should have been sent to every school at this point.
--Get your MCAT score in early August. Update all those completed secondary schools about your score to complete your file. Update the schools you haven't received a secondary from yet to get a secondary. Fill out those secondaries by the end of August.

By doing this you're not too far behind the game.

Why would you want to wait until August to submit your AMCAS? Being afraid you might do badly and not wanting med schools to see this is not a legitimate answer. The reason for this is that med schools see all times you've taken the MCAT when you apply. So even if you bombed the MCAT, avoided applying to this cycle, retook the MCAT and nailed it and applied next year, they'd still see that bombed MCAT. I strongly recommend you take my advice.

Edit: Wanting to focus solely on the MCAT is not right either. While studying hard for and doing well on the test is very important, and writing/editing a personal statement, and filling out the rest of the tedious AMCAS can be time consuming, guess what--so is med school. There's no reason you shouldn't be able to handle both if you plan on attending one.