USUHS Medical Waiver

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pilotdoc

Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a conditional acceptance at USUHS, just got my med back from DODMERB -disqualified! I am an active duty Army pilot, perfect scores on my PT, no problems, BUT I had a knee reconstruction and disc surgery about 4-5 years ago. All my med records state that I have no limitations, I can fly helos and airplanes daily. BUT, DODMERB says my knee is good, back no good. I just spoke with Denise Anderson at USUHS and she said that I have to apply for a waiver at an office at the Pentagon. She made it seem like it was just a paperwork drill. (Oh, and my medical was accepted for an HPSP - how does that work?!) Just wanted to see if anyone has been through the process and if they can offer any tips. I appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad.

I would PM alli cat...she went through all the waiver mess last year. I would do it soon though b/c from what I hear it can take a while.

good luck

I got a waiver for HPSP. I think it took about 2-3 weeks. It has to go through the Office of the Surgeon General.

Ed

Members don't see this ad :)
So why haven't you PMed me yet? Afraid I'll bite?

hahaha wow, inside joke

Pilotdoc,

Had the same thing happen, (not for knee),... I had just finished a classII flight physical (with the mother rucker stamp) and got the same crazy response from UHUHS. It ended up being no big deal to get the waiver, but I did "follow-up" frequently.

Delta

Thanks for the responses regarding this frustrating process - in order to process my waiver, I need to see an orthopedic surgeon to get a letter stating that I have no limitations, etc. My waivers (knee, back) for flying duties are supposedly looked upon very favorably for the waiver process. If the active duty side, particularly the aviation side with the more rigorous flight physical, approves a waiver, they most likely will. I was told that if I got the orthopod's letter to them by the end of this week I would get an answer by the end of next week - very different from most of the processes I've been through in the military! Now, the trick is to get in to see an orthopod quickly - I am currently on temporary duty at Fort Sam Houston, TX for the Officer Advanced Course, luckily a major in my class is an ENT and has friends in the ortho section at BAMC and Wilford Hall - funny world.
Sorry about not sending the PM Alli Cat - hope no offense was taken, just got back to the computer after a few days away!

Pilotdoc,

Sounds like you're at the right place at the right time!!! Good luck w/ the paperwork.....

Delta

Originally posted by pilotdoc

Sorry about not sending the PM Alli Cat - hope no offense was taken, just got back to the computer after a few days away!

(IN A HUFF)

~Alli

;)

Bottom line:
If you can breathe and have the letters MD (or DO) after your name, you can get a waiver for just about anything.
Half the medical corps has some kind of PT or other profile.

Just an update for anyone who needs or will need a medical waiver for USUHS. I saw an orthopod a week ago last Friday, faxed the paper work last Tuesday morning to Denise Anderson, and found out it was approved yesterday. So, less than a week from when she got the paperwork, the waiver was done. For those who have spent any time in the military, that is an INCREDIBLE turn around time - it says alot about the administrative personnel at USUHS.

Reactions: 1 user