Studying more effectively: Study from textbooks or review books?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

topsurgeon2010

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a really hard time staying caught up and always fall behind in my readings to the point where I just have to cut my losses and move on to the next subject. If I read material from Boron Medical Phsyiology (which is heavy on physical science concepts) or even Ross Histology and take notes it takes me at least five hours to get through one chapter and I often fall behind just because I can't keep this up everyday. If I just read the chapter straight through and highlight or underline it takes me a hour or 1.5 hrs which is completely doable but the problem is I don't remember majority of the stuff or the minor details after a few days.

Should I be reading from densely-written textbooks or save my time and use something less dense (i.e. Constanzo, Lange Series, BRS, etc)? I don't go to class and we don't get powerpoints or lecture notes so using textbooks is my primary source for learning. I know my problem is that I need to learn how to study more effectively and not worry about writing every detail down but I would appreciate any advice or suggestions! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Dude, you're paying 200K for an education. If you don't get lecture notes or powerpoint slides, why wouldn't you go to class? Quit being lazy and attend class, then you'll know what you need to focus on in your reading!

I have a really hard time staying caught up and always fall behind in my readings to the point where I just have to cut my losses and move on to the next subject. If I read material from Boron Medical Phsyiology (which is heavy on physical science concepts) or even Ross Histology and take notes it takes me at least five hours to get through one chapter and I often fall behind just because I can't keep this up everyday. If I just read the chapter straight through and highlight or underline it takes me a hour or 1.5 hrs which is completely doable but the problem is I don't remember majority of the stuff or the minor details after a few days.

Should I be reading from densely-written textbooks or save my time and use something less dense (i.e. Constanzo, Lange Series, BRS, etc)? I don't go to class and we don't get powerpoints or lecture notes so using textbooks is my primary source for learning. I know my problem is that I need to learn how to study more effectively and not worry about writing every detail down but I would appreciate any advice or suggestions! Thanks!

The trick is to figure out a way that will give you multiple passes over the same information.

What worked for me (I'm not saying it will work for you) was that:
- I'd attend lecture and take notes (first pass)
- that evening I'd audiocast the lecture at double speed and review my notes (second pass)
-If time allowed, I'd look at a review book for the material and make sure I'm picking up and understanding the high yield concepts (third pass)
-ideally, I can use the weekend to power through a text chapter on the material. Nothing too thick, but Costanzo physio, Medium Robbins, etc are pretty doable. (fourth pass)
-Then the week before the test hit practice questions hard (fifth pass)

I know this sounds like a lot, but if you make goals and stick to them, it's manageable. The key is to never let yourself fall behind. If you stay caught up from the start of the block, you have time to make all the passes you need.

By the time you get to the test, you'll have hopefully seen the most important points enough times from enough different sources that you'll feel comfortable with any way they ask you about it on the test.

Members don't see this ad :)
The trick is to figure out a way that will give you multiple passes over the same information.

What worked for me (I'm not saying it will work for you) was that:
- I'd attend lecture and take notes (first pass)
- that evening I'd audiocast the lecture at double speed and review my notes (second pass)
-If time allowed, I'd look at a review book for the material and make sure I'm picking up and understanding the high yield concepts (third pass)
-ideally, I can use the weekend to power through a text chapter on the material. Nothing too thick, but Costanzo physio, Medium Robbins, etc are pretty doable. (fourth pass)
-Then the week before the test hit practice questions hard (fifth pass)

I know this sounds like a lot, but if you make goals and stick to them, it's manageable. The key is to never let yourself fall behind. If you stay caught up from the start of the block, you have time to make all the passes you need.

By the time you get to the test, you'll have hopefully seen the most important points enough times from enough different sources that you'll feel comfortable with any way they ask you about it on the test.

Did you even read the OP's post? He wasn't asking for study tips in general. He was saying that since he doesn't attend class and since his lectures aren't online and there are no powerpoints to download, he doesn't know what he should be using to get through the material in a timely fashion.

Dude, you're paying 200K for an education. If you don't get lecture notes or powerpoint slides, why wouldn't you go to class? Quit being lazy and attend class, then you'll know what you need to focus on in your reading!

Thanks for the responses so far but just to clarify--I actually have to go PBL since attendance is required but I go to probably about 70-80% of our lectures but they are a total waste. Half the time faculty are talking about their own research which will never be on the USMLE or the other half they are just terrible lecturers and I don't get anything out of it--they're will bea few good lectures here and there but don't know if its worth going to every lecture for those few gems. A group of us share our own lecture notes but its still nothing worthwhile. I thought I would better spend my time just reading on my own

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses so far but just to clarify--I actually have to go PBL since attendance is required but I go to probably about 70-80% of our lectures but they are a total waste. Half the time faculty are talking about their own research which will never be on the USMLE or the other half they are just terrible lecturers and I don't get anything out of it--they're will bea few good lectures here and there but don't know if its worth going to every lecture for those few gems. A group of us share our own lecture notes but its still nothing worthwhile. I thought I would better spend my time just reading on my own

Suit yourself, but I still say if you're paying 200K to get an education and they don't even provide you with powerpoints or stream the lectures, I'd go to class. Anyone can read a textbook.

As for what books to use, I can't help you. I never, ever pick up a textbook.

Did you even read the OP's post? He wasn't asking for study tips in general. He was saying that since he doesn't attend class and since his lectures aren't online and there are no powerpoints to download, he doesn't know what he should be using to get through the material in a timely fashion.

Gee, far be it from me to provide more information than requested (with the caveat that he might have to modify it) in the hopes that the OP might be able to apply it to his situation... including the way I used both texts and review books.

Gee, far be it from me to provide more information than requested (with the caveat that he might have to modify it) in the hopes that the OP might be able to apply it to his situation... including the way I used both texts and review books.

i appreciated your comment, it was definitely helpful!

basically my problem is that i get too worked up on the small details which causes me to take forever in reading and writing up my notes..i need to learn how to discern which information is important because I won't ever be able to remember every single minute detail no matter what I do

Check out FA and Goljan for the high yield points

The school year is already a semester old. How did you do this semester?

I echo the idea of attending class. The people who skip class are typically those who have powerpoints or lecture notes or their lectures podcast. You don't have any of those things. Why wouldn't you go to class?

I don't understand the sentiment of preferring to wade through multiple dense textbooks when you could just take a few hours out of your day to go to class and take notes on what the professor says.

There are many options, and it really depends on the lecture and test style of the lectures AS WELL AS how you study.

For example, in my first year, all exams came from class lecture. But then I had to do my own preparation for the class shelves. My Second year was "know everything about everything and come to class if you want." Well, the lectures were 45 minutes each, with 15 minutes of wasted time between them, a drive to school, they didnt cover everything, and I had to read anyway. So what did I do? Learned everything on my own.

In this thread:
- Lectures
- Skeleton Book / Review Book
- Flesh Book / Reading Book
- Skin Book / Reference Book
- First Aid
- Qbanks / QBooks
- Review Materials

In general, the rhetoric goes something like this:
(1) Lectures. Lectures SHOULD BE the best resource for studying. If well-done and are relevant to step/shelf/class exam studying, you are best off going to lectures. However, this doesn't always pan out, and may not be best for you. Honestly, there were six of 160 people attending lecture towards the end of my 2nd year.

(2) Skeleton Book. The skeleton book is a review book, like a Goljan or Rapid review. There are two ways to use it. Read it first so you know what the topics you are going to read about actually are, allowing you to focus on the "important stuff" rather than trying to learn "everything." Alternatively, you can read it last, when you are trying to review all the material you learned in the final week before the exam.

(3) Flesh Book. The flesh book has some real meat in it. It has more than just the outline, but not all the skin, nerves, and hair that completes the person. This is a Medium Robbins or a Lange-Illustrated Biochemistry/Pharmacology. These are the books you are going to read through, take notes from, and build your own study guide. This is the book you spend the most time with, especially if you are teaching yourself and not going to class. This may be a supplement to class reading.

(4) Skin Book. The skin book is the reference guide. This is Harrison's, Big Robbins, Lehringer Biochemistry. You couldnt finish this book if you tried, even if you had two years. It is impractical, but has literally EVERY detail about everything known about what you are learning. Read this book when you want to know more details or the topic is too superficially covered in the Flesh Book.

(5) Question Book. A must have. It is the week of the exam use, to practice multiple choice questions and get some details you might have missed or forgot. You can use PreTEst -Subject, Robbins Qbook, Lange Qbook, Kaplan, UWorld, whatever. Do something to practice taking questions. This happens to also double as a Step Prep.

(6) First Aid. This is your life line (together with or without Goljan + Goljan Audio). Take notes in the FA as you move through your studying. Only highlights, important stuff, not every little detail.

(7) Review Materials. Piracy is illegal. Don't steal copyrighted material. That being said, GOljan Audio, Kaplan lectures, etc. are out there. I actually used Kaplan legit, and I learned more from them then I did from any lecture at my school. That is a sad realization, but the stuff I actually USE in my clinical years are things I took from the Kaplan lectures in Board prep, not the BS that got spouted at me in lecture.

My Suggestion for the non-class goer:
(1) Skeleton Book + Flesh Book mandatory
(2) Skin Book maybe, its expensive and you may never get to it
(3) If 1st year, you can slack on Qbooks and FA, if 2nd year its an absolute must for both Qbooks and FA

Read the skeleton book in a weekend, familiarize yourself with topics and vocabulary.

Read the flesh book for two weeks, taking notes either on your own or in the skeleton book.

ReRead Skeleton Book and Notes in the weekend before the third week

Do Qbook / Qbank in the third week, with the test on the friday of the third week.

Variations, timing, whatever, are clearly variable and well be determined on your program, course, and own study habits.

There are many options, and it really depends on the lecture and test style of the lectures AS WELL AS how you study.

For example, in my first year, all exams came from class lecture. But then I had to do my own preparation for the class shelves. My Second year was "know everything about everything and come to class if you want." Well, the lectures were 45 minutes each, with 15 minutes of wasted time between them, a drive to school, they didnt cover everything, and I had to read anyway. So what did I do? Learned everything on my own.

In this thread:
- Lectures
- First Aid
- Qbanks / QBooks
- Review Materials

(1) Lectures. Lectures SHOULD BE the best resource for studying. If well-done and are relevant to step/shelf/class exam studying, you are best off going to lectures. However, this doesn't always pan out, and may not be best for you. Honestly, there were six of 160 people attending lecture towards the end of my 2nd year.

(2) Skeleton Book. The skeleton book is a review book, like a Goljan or Rapid review. There are two ways to use it. Read it first so you know what the topics you are going to read about actually are, allowing you to focus on the "important stuff" rather than trying to learn "everything." Alternatively, you can read it last, when you are trying to review all the material you learned in the final week before the exam.

(3) Flesh Book. The flesh book has some real meat in it. It has more than just the outline, but not all the skin, nerves, and hair that completes the person. This is a Medium Robbins or a Lange-Illustrated Biochemistry/Pharmacology. These are the books you are going to read through, take notes from, and build your own study guide. This is the book you spend the most time with, especially if you are teaching yourself and not going to class. This may be a supplement to class reading.

(4) Skin Book. The skin book is the reference guide. This is Harrison's, Big Robbins, Lehringer Biochemistry. You couldnt finish this book if you tried, even if you had two years. It is impractical, but has literally EVERY detail about everything known about what you are learning. Read this book when you want to know more details or the topic is too superficially covered in the Flesh Book.

(5) Question Book. A must have. It is the week of the exam use, to practice multiple choice questions and get some details you might have missed or forgot. You can use PreTEst -Subject, Robbins Qbook, Lange Qbook, Kaplan, UWorld, whatever. Do something to practice taking questions. This happens to also double as a Step Prep.

(6) First Aid. This is your life line (together with or without Goljan + Goljan Audio). Take notes in the FA as you move through your studying. Only highlights, important stuff, not every little detail.

(7) Review Materials. Piracy is illegal. Don't steal copyrighted material. That being said, GOljan Audio, Kaplan lectures, etc. are out there. I actually used Kaplan legit, and I learned more from them then I did from any lecture at my school. That is a sad realization, but the stuff I actually USE in my clinical years are things I took from the Kaplan lectures in Board prep, not the BS that got spouted at me in lecture.

(3) If 1st year, you can slack on Qbooks and FA, if 2nd year its an absolute must for both Qbooks and FA

Read the skeleton book in a weekend, familiarize yourself with topics and vocabulary.

Read the flesh book for two weeks, taking notes either on your own or in the skeleton book.

Do Qbook / Qbank in the third week, with the test on the friday of the third week.

Variations, timing, whatever, are clearly variable and well be determined on your program, course, and own study habits.

Wow, great post; thank you!

Suit yourself, but I still say if you're paying 200K to get an education and they don't even provide you with powerpoints or stream the lectures, I'd go to class. Anyone can read a textbook.

As for what books to use, I can't help you. I never, ever pick up a textbook.

I've gotten Honors so far in all my second year classes and stopped attending class after two weeks. I don't even listen to lectures or read the textbook - I rely purely on our scribe service (except when I'm the one scribing, THEN i listen to the lectures). Just because it helps you to listen and go to class doesn't mean it works for everyone. I find the tedium of having to listen to someone explain something to me a lot less productive than simply reading it, absorbing it, and learning it.

Some textbooks are pretty good, although review books in general are much better (to the point where my Micro class did away with textbooks entirely). I'm taking our pathology/pharm class and although it's pretty big, I find Robbins (and I use the Big version) to be a solid source. I also read fast though, so it might be counterproductive for some to use.

In this thread:
- Lectures
- First Aid
- Qbanks / QBooks
- Review Materials

This is a FANTASTIC guide, I wish there were a rep system. :thumbup:

The only thing I'd say is that for some people who can read faster, you might be able to get through Big Robbins. You might not retain everything but the salient points generally come through. Also my class lectures generally teach us 80-85% of the material we need to know for Step 1 but not necessarily in depth or too much in depth depending on the individual lecturer... so I find that a good way to keep yourself grounded for each exam is to supplement with a tough resource (like Goljan, UWorld, etc) to know what you should ultimately take away from what you're learning (and add to your knowledge base). It can be a bit overwhelming but it works out for the better in the end.

I've gotten Honors so far in all my second year classes and stopped attending class after two weeks. I don't even listen to lectures or read the textbook - I rely purely on our scribe service (except when I'm the one scribing, THEN i listen to the lectures).

Re-read the original post, then re-read what you just said, especially the bolded part. The poster said they don't get lecture notes, powerpoints, or anything else. He's relying entirely on textbooks and doesn't know what's important or not. Heck, I wouldn't either if I didn't get some hint from the professor in the way of lecture notes (or scribe notes, like you) or powerpoints or something. He's randomly reading textbooks and taking five hours to get through one chapter. I'd be struggling too if I was in his position.

Just because it helps you to listen and go to class doesn't mean it works for everyone. I find the tedium of having to listen to someone explain something to me a lot less productive than simply reading it, absorbing it, and learning it.

Again, you're reading it from your scribe service. And when you're the one doing the notes, you listen to the lectures. Why? Because it's important to have some guideline as to what's important. Otherwise, you'll spend five hours on one chapter in a dense textbook. You're basically proving my point.

Some textbooks are pretty good, although review books in general are much better (to the point where my Micro class did away with textbooks entirely). I'm taking our pathology/pharm class and although it's pretty big, I find Robbins (and I use the Big version) to be a solid source. I also read fast though, so it might be counterproductive for some to use.

I never said textbooks and review books weren't good, but until you know what the professor expects you to know, it's counterproductive to spend numerous hours trying to wade through textbooks, as evidenced by the OP's dilemma.