*~*~*~*Tips for Entering your "Work and Activities" in AMCAS*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I had an internship with NASA for two summers, the first summer was the summer after my Freshman year and I am also working there this summer.

The first summer I really had no technical skills (I'm a Biomedical Engineer) so I worked directly with some clinicians verifying and validating their data that they accumulated from case studies.

This summer I am working with the engineers doing ultrasound, building and soldering a circuit board for a device that non-invasively measures intracranial pressure, etc.

My question is: Is it okay to list the first summer as Research and the second summer as an paid internship even though I have the same boss/am working in the same place?

Also, how highly do adcoms look on Intercollegiate Sports. I run cross-country, indoor track, and outdoor track and it really is like having a full time job, not to mention traveling almost every weekend. It really didn't give me much time to do many other activities. There is really hitting home right now because I can only fill up 10 out of the 15 spots on AMCAS although I did group a lot of stuff together because it naturally goes together.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

As a result of the involved research I do, I've been fortunate enough to be accepted into several professional organizations/societies.
If I were to list these organizations under one lump "activity" and then just bullet them in the description, who should I list as the contact (since its pertaining to different organizations/societies within one activity listing)? Or should I not lump them all together?

1) If the entry is primarily about the frat, and you want to include a variety of other experiences gained through the frat, then "Other" might be a good category to pick.

If you have the space, you might split out the nonmedical community service and list it separately, unless you have plenty of additional nonmedical volunteerism.

2) Was it employment, shadowing, or what? Were you unpaid? How much face time did you have with sick people during the experiences, and what did you persoanlly do for them?

1) Yes, it is about the frat. I have fairly significant non medical volunteering already so I don't feel like I should take up the additional entry just for the hours done with my frat.

2) Pharmacy - Nonpaid. It was a mixture of watching what a pharmacist did and helping around the pharmacy (mainly the latter). Ie. getting patient's prepared prescriptions, putting meds back, record filing, etc.

Dental - Nonpaid. Mixture of watching and helping out. Watched various procedures (extractions, filings, etc). Got patients from waiting room to chair, suctioning (I could def "smell" the patients for this :laugh:), etc.

Thanks ahead of time for your suggestions!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all! This thread is so helpful but I couldn't find an answer to one of my questions. I'm hoping someone can help me out.

I started training as a hospice volunteer in February after my grandfather told me how much it helped to have palliative/hospice care for my grandmother. I have one more segment to go (vigil training this week). I'm out of town for the second half of June and won't be able to start actually volunteering until July.

The training is pretty intense- there was a lot of lecture type stuff but also a lot of self-reflection and shadowing current volunteers on visits and vigils. I obviously don't have my own patients yet, but even just the training had a pretty profound impact on me and I'd like to have it on my application when I submit on June 1st.

If I make it clear that I'm not trying to soup up the experience (I'd call it hospice volunteer in training, make it obvious that I haven't started on my own yet, and focus on my motivations for doing it, what I've gotten out of the training, and how I hope to actually apply it) is it ok to have it on there?

Thanks for your help!

Hi, I traveled to two countries abroad (one in Africa and other in Asia) prior to starting freshman year. This experience was with my parents and I only got to volunteer in the Asian country. However, the experience was meaningful in that I learned a lot about other cultures and has taught me a lot about undeserved populations.

1) Do you think I can/should include this as an experience on AMCAS?
2) And if so, would it have the same merit as a study abroad program?
3) Finally, would this be listed under "Other"?
1) You can include it, since it was significant to you.

2) It would depend on the reflections you share about the experience, how long you were there, and whether you did some volunteering in the Study Abroad host country also.

3) Other, or Community Service if you mainly want to focus on that aspect of the experience.

I had an internship with NASA for two summers, the first summer was the summer after my Freshman year and I am also working there this summer.

The first summer I really had no technical skills (I'm a Biomedical Engineer) so I worked directly with some clinicians verifying and validating their data that they accumulated from case studies.

This summer I am working with the engineers doing ultrasound, building and soldering a circuit board for a device that non-invasively measures intracranial pressure, etc.

1) My question is: Is it okay to list the first summer as Research and the second summer as an paid internship even though I have the same boss/am working in the same place?

2) Also, how highly do adcoms look on Intercollegiate Sports. I run cross-country, indoor track, and outdoor track and it really is like having a full time job, not to mention traveling almost every weekend. It really didn't give me much time to do many other activities. There is really hitting home right now because I can only fill up 10 out of the 15 spots on AMCAS although I did group a lot of stuff together because it naturally goes together.
1) Yes, and for the first summer, I'd name the activty something like 'Research Assistant for XXXX Project', or somesuch. And for the second, maybe something like 'Engineering Internship in XXXXX Project.' Sounds pretty cool.

2) This will vary by individiual adcomm member. Some won't 'get it' so your description of your sport involvement needs to make clear the time, dedication, sacrifices, teamwork, etc that was involved. Don't assume this will be understood.

It's pretty common to list only 9-10 activities, so don't stress about having less than 15.

As a result of the involved research I do, I've been fortunate enough to be accepted into several professional organizations/societies.
If I were to list these organizations under one lump "activity" and then just bullet them in the description, who should I list as the contact (since its pertaining to different organizations/societies within one activity listing)? Or should I not lump them all together?
I think that lumping is a good idea. Since they are research-related societies, couldn't you list your PI to vouch for your membership? Alternatively, list the most important membership's info and contact person (like a membership secretary) in the header, and then after the narrative about that organization, say Other Research-related societies, and bullet them below.

1) Yes, and for the first summer, I'd name the activty something like 'Research Assistant for XXXX Project', or somesuch. And for the second, maybe something like 'Engineering Internship in XXXXX Project.' Sounds pretty cool.

2) This will vary by individiual adcomm member. Some won't 'get it' so your description of your sport involvement needs to make clear the time, dedication, sacrifices, teamwork, etc that was involved. Don't assume this will be understood.

It's pretty common to list only 9-10 activities, so don't stress about having less than 15.

Okay, thanks for the advice.

I think I have a pretty good description for the sport (I made it one of my most meaningful experiences). I described we are back to back national champions, I participate in the sport all year as opposed to one semester, I explained the times we practiced and how we are gone almost every weekend, I explained how I was the team captain this past year, and I explained what the team meant to me and how it has impacted my life.

I think that lumping is a good idea. Since they are research-related societies, couldn't you list your PI to vouch for your membership? Alternatively, list the most important membership's info and contact person (like a membership secretary) in the header, and then after the narrative about that organization, say Other Research-related societies, and bullet them below.

Thank You!

2a) Pharmacy - Nonpaid. It was a mixture of watching what a pharmacist did and helping around the pharmacy (mainly the latter). Ie. getting patient's prepared prescriptions, putting meds back, record filing, etc.

2b) Dental - Nonpaid. Mixture of watching and helping out. Watched various procedures (extractions, filings, etc). Got patients from waiting room to chair, suctioning (I could def "smell" the patients for this :laugh:), etc.
2) They weren't community service, unless they were within a free or low income clinic, even though you volunteered. They were certainly shadowing. The first doesn't sound like it was a clinical experience (though it is medically relevant). The second could be considered clinical experience when the visit wasn't for a routine cleaning/checkup.

a) How would you feel about listing the first under Other, naming it Volunteer Pharmacy Tech and Pharmacist Shadowing?

b) The second could be listed under Volunteer-Medical/Clinical, named Dental Assistant and Dental Shadowing (unless it was the hygienist you were working with), with the narrative giving the relative proportion of "sick" patients vs routine care and then listing what you did. If it was mostly shadowing, or mostly well people, you could use the Other designation for this one too, so as not to appear to be "upselling" the activity.

If you want to group them together, then definitely use "Other."

I started training as a hospice volunteer in February after my grandfather told me how much it helped to have palliative/hospice care for my grandmother. I have one more segment to go (vigil training this week). I'm out of town for the second half of June and won't be able to start actually volunteering until July.

The training is pretty intense- there was a lot of lecture type stuff but also a lot of self-reflection and shadowing current volunteers on visits and vigils. I obviously don't have my own patients yet, but even just the training had a pretty profound impact on me and I'd like to have it on my application when I submit on June 1st.

If I make it clear that I'm not trying to soup up the experience (I'd call it hospice volunteer in training, make it obvious that I haven't started on my own yet, and focus on my motivations for doing it, what I've gotten out of the training, and how I hope to actually apply it) is it ok to have it on there?
Since it was clearly a significant experience go ahead and list it. I'd probably use the "Other" designation, since you didn't actually volunteer yet. Then be sure to mention hours of volunteer time in future update letters, Secondary essays if given the opportunity, or during interview conversations.

I explained how I was the team captain this past year, and I explained what the team meant to me and how it has impacted my life.
Sounds good. And even for those adcomms who are dedicated, life-long couch potatoes, the fact that you attained a leadership experience within the sport will reflect well on you in their eyes and make your application stronger.

On my personal statement I wrote about what influenced me to pursuing an application to medical school. There is also a section that asks about your experiences. The three most influencial are what I wrote about in my personal statement so it sounds very similar if not identical. Any thoughts about this? Keep the same or re-word it? Or, pick three other unrelated as the most significant. I don't want it to seem that I just cut and paste from my personal statement.

Someone put this question up in the WAMC, but I felt it was more appropriate here: I was actually wondering about a similar situation - in my PS I talked about three formative experiences, and these happen to overlap with the three most meaningful experiences. I don't feel that my other activities were truly the most meaningful; would it not be appropriate to pick the same three activities and just elaborate on them (ie, not be redundant, but describe them in more detail) in the 'most meaningful' section? I would guess that most people talk about the most meaningful activities at least somewhat in their PS..

Members don't see this ad :)
Merging related threads

Someone put this question up in the WAMC, but I felt it was more appropriate here: I was actually wondering about a similar situation - in my PS I talked about three formative experiences, and these happen to overlap with the three most meaningful experiences. I don't feel that my other activities were truly the most meaningful; would it not be appropriate to pick the same three activities and just elaborate on them (ie, not be redundant, but describe them in more detail) in the 'most meaningful' section? I would guess that most people talk about the most meaningful activities at least somewhat in their PS..

Sounds good. And even for those adcomms who are dedicated, life-long couch potatoes, the fact that you attained a leadership experience within the sport will reflect well on you in their eyes and make your application stronger.

Should I make it take up a separate spot in my work/activities section? Or just keep it included with the "Intercollegiate Sport" description.

when listing physician shadowing, is it necessary to go into the stuff you saw/specific things that appealed to u?

or is it just easier to list the name specialty hours..hospital and be done with it?

cause I shadowed at 3 diff hospitals and esp with the 700 char limit I dont think i can elaborate them all under the limit. 3 activities list for them seems kind of excessive though

when listing physician shadowing, is it necessary to go into the stuff you saw/specific things that appealed to u?

or is it just easier to list the name specialty hours..hospital and be done with it?

cause I shadowed at 3 diff hospitals and esp with the 700 char limit I dont think i can elaborate them all under the limit. 3 activities list for them seems kind of excessive though
Group them all together, select "other" for the activity type. Don't fill in hours per week, just put total hours in the description. For contact info, put in the info for the first doctor you shadowed (or the doctor you shadowed the most) then put in the additional contact info for the other 2 doctors in the description. You don't need to describe what you learned, adcomms know what shadowing is.

I feel like I might be forgetting something, but that's the basic idea

1) I do not have anything under the leadership category. However, while involved in musical theater/choir in college, I did have leadership positions, such as heading up a publicity team, or being a alto section head. Should I list these separately from my other musical theater/music entry, under "leadership," or simply explain my experiences involved leadership in my main entry?

2) I was awarded many scholarships for college in high school, such as National Merit Scholarship and a scholarship awarded based on artistic achievement. I did not use any of the scholarships awarded. These should not be listed, correct?

P.S. Thank you Catalystik for all your help. We really appreciate it.

ONE more question, then hopefully I'm done:

Would it be O.k. to list my study abroad experience in the Work/Activities section? I did a public health program at Tsinghua University in China, and spent time in clinics, hospitals, and a special needs orphanage. My time there was an important factor in my decision to do a postbac program. This obviously doesn't come across simply in my class listing, but I guess the experience technically counts as school work.

hello,

As part of my research: I developed a large study with my PI and consider it to be one of my "most meaningful" experiences. In the 1325 character description box for most meaningful experiences, should I go into some detail in describing the study and how it came to be? Or should I just stick to a more humbling "why it was a meaningful" experience.

I already gave a very brief background of the study in the 700 character "experience description" box.

On a similar issue, I received an institutional recognition for my work on this study which I've already listed as a separate "honors/awards/recognition" experience. There, I marked it also marked it most meaningful experience, in which I take a humble approach on why it was meaningful. Do you think I should jumble these two experiences into one (since they are inter-related)?

Is it better to list based on positions held or by the organization, given that I've done many different things for the organization?

For example, I've taught science to grade school students every summer since 2005 under a non-profit organization. Since 2006, I've been a photographer for this same summer program and in the summer of 2009, I was the director of Photography. In 2006, I piloted/founded an English tutor program (not part of the summer program) under the same organization. I was the program administrator and English tutor during the academic year from 2006-2009. This served the low-income community.

Do I lump this all under the same organization umbrella, even though I had a much greater involvement in the English tutoring position? Or do I split it out based on the program within the organization? Does this all go under Community Service/Volunteer (or tutoring? or leadership?).

in my PS I talked about three formative experiences, and these happen to overlap with the three most meaningful experiences. I don't feel that my other activities were truly the most meaningful; would it not be appropriate to pick the same three activities and just elaborate on them (ie, not be redundant, but describe them in more detail) in the 'most meaningful' section? I would guess that most people talk about the most meaningful activities at least somewhat in their PS..
'Most meaningful' experiences aren't necessarily those that led to thoughts of a career in medicine.
Some overlap is fine, but you only have so much space to 'sell yourself' so try not to duplicate information much. Elaborating or expanding on the details would be acceptable.

Should I make it take up a separate spot in my work/activities section? Or just keep it included with the "Intercollegiate Sport" description.
It depends on how much you want to highlight the Leadership (especially if it's the only one you have with that designation) and if you have enough space to say what's necessary if you are grouping activities. Since strong leadership is hard to come by, many would give it its own space, a lot would give that sport its own space and add the leadership into the name given to the activity, and a few would group it with all the other sports. You get to decide the best way to present what you want adcomms to know.

1) I do not have anything under the leadership category. However, while involved in musical theater/choir in college, I did have leadership positions, such as heading up a publicity team, or being a alto section head. Should I list these separately from my other musical theater/music entry, under "leadership," or simply explain my experiences involved leadership in my main entry?

2) I was awarded many scholarships for college in high school, such as National Merit Scholarship and a scholarship awarded based on artistic achievement. I did not use any of the scholarships awarded. These should not be listed, correct?
1) See my response to the post above this one.

2) I would not list most scholarship awards based on achievement/activities while in HS.

Would it be O.k. to list my study abroad experience in the Work/Activities section? I did a public health program at Tsinghua University in China, and spent time in clinics, hospitals, and a special needs orphanage. My time there was an important factor in my decision to do a postbac program. This obviously doesn't come across simply in my class listing, but I guess the experience technically counts as school work.
it's fine to list it (just as you could for research you got class credit for or community service done for a class requirement). I'd use the "Other " designation.

Hi guys, don't know if this question has been asked or not ...

if you put an award down, how do you enter the "hours/ week" for it??? I tried to put N/A on AMCAS, but it wouldn't let me.

Personally, i don't think the hours/week function should be there for the award. It's not like you calculated how many hours you worked in order to get that award .. it's silly.

1) As part of my research: I developed a large study with my PI and consider it to be one of my "most meaningful" experiences. In the 1325 character description box for most meaningful experiences, should I go into some detail in describing the study and how it came to be? Or should I just stick to a more humbling "why it was a meaningful" experience.

I already gave a very brief background of the study in the 700 character "experience description" box.

2) On a similar issue, I received an institutional recognition for my work on this study which I've already listed as a separate "honors/awards/recognition" experience. There, I marked it also marked it most meaningful experience, in which I take a humble approach on why it was meaningful. Do you think I should jumble these two experiences into one (since they are inter-related)?
1) AMCAS gives guidelines in their instructions for how to use the extra space, but they are a suggestion, not a requirement. You can use the space as you wish. Since this is the first year this extra space has been made available in this way, we have no experience to know how creative applicants will get in their use of it.

2) Many would put the two together to save explanation if they had enough space to say what was needed. Giving its own space highlights the accomplishment more. It's your choice, as there is no right or wrong way.

Is it better to list based on positions held or by the organization, given that I've done many different things for the organization?

For example, I've taught science to grade school students every summer since 2005 under a non-profit organization. Since 2006, I've been a photographer for this same summer program and in the summer of 2009, I was the director of Photography. In 2006, I piloted/founded an English tutor program (not part of the summer program) under the same organization. I was the program administrator and English tutor during the academic year from 2006-2009. This served the low-income community.

Do I lump this all under the same organization umbrella, even though I had a much greater involvement in the English tutoring position? Or do I split it out based on the program within the organization? Does this all go under Community Service/Volunteer (or tutoring? or leadership?).
If you aren't short on space, you can split out the most important elements and list them separately, or you can group activities, like those releated to teaching on their own. Or the leadership components on their own. Or the photoography under Artistic Endeavor. But those with a space crunch do put multiple roles within an organization within a single space. It seems to me it would be hard for your to discuss so many variate roles adequately if you did the latter in your specific situation.

It's common that an activity qualifies for several different categories, Whichever you choose, make sure the name you give covers the other categories and/or else make them clear in the description you give. If this is your main source of community service, be sure to use that at least once. Leadership and teaching are other valued categories. Be strategic and make choices that give balance to your application.

if you put an award down, how do you enter the "hours/ week" for it??? I tried to put N/A on AMCAS, but it wouldn't let me.

Personally, i don't think the hours/week function should be there for the award. It's not like you calculated how many hours you worked in order to get that award .. it's silly.
Don't fill it in at all. AMCAS lets you leave it blank.

1) AMCAS gives guidelines in their instructions for how to use the extra space, but they are a suggestion, not a requirement. You can use the space as you wish. Since this is the first year this extra space has been made available in this way, we have no experience to know how creative applicants will get in their use of it.

2) Many would put the two together to save explanation if they had enough space to say what was needed. Giving its own space highlights the accomplishment more. It's your choice, as there is no right or wrong way.

thanks so much Catalystik!

I'm not sure if this has been discussed yet (and if so my apologies):
Can anyone comment or shed some light on whether presentations/posters conducted at small-time university events should be included in your AMCAS application?

I shadowed through my school's shadowing program. So should I list the coordinator of that program as my contact person, or just the two doctors I shadowed? One of them was a while ago, so I'm not sure if we will remember me anymore just in case amcas decides to call him up or something.

question:

I'm in a social fraternity and have held two officer positions and am on two committees. In the description box should I just put "positions held" and give brief descriptions for each position? I'm also putting this as a meaningful experience. just confused on how to approach writing the description

I'm not sure if this has been discussed yet (and if so my apologies):
Can anyone comment or shed some light on whether presentations/posters conducted at small-time university events should be included in your AMCAS application?
I think it's most appropriate to include mention of these activities at the end of the Research space that is related to the topic presented.

I'm in a social fraternity and have held two officer positions and am on two committees. In the description box should I just put "positions held" and give brief descriptions for each position? I'm also putting this as a meaningful experience. just confused on how to approach writing the description
You could use narrative form or bullet points. A subtitle within the body of text for Positions Held works fine. Or you could tell the tale chronologically, showing how you took increasing responsibility over time. Or, if space is an issue, you might split out the Leadership positions and list them on their own to have more room for description.

Merging related threads

Group them all together, select "other" for the activity type. Don't fill in hours per week, just put total hours in the description. For contact info, put in the info for the first doctor you shadowed (or the doctor you shadowed the most) then put in the additional contact info for the other 2 doctors in the description. You don't need to describe what you learned, adcomms know what shadowing is.

I feel like I might be forgetting something, but that's the basic idea

I shadowed through my school's shadowing program. So should I list the coordinator of that program as my contact person, or just the two doctors I shadowed? One of them was a while ago, so I'm not sure if we will remember me anymore just in case amcas decides to call him up or something.

Use the coordinator for your contact, since it covers both experiences.

I'm struggling on what I should put as my three most meaningful activities

Currently:
semester abroad in French Polynesia (cultural interactions and independent field project)
Academic coordinator (expanded study group program)
dance choreographer

I am thinking about taking out my dance choreographer and replacing it with a shadowing experience because: it confirmed my interest in medicine, I got to see doctors in action both in clinic and the OR, and while I know that my three most meaningful dont have to be medically related, I thought having atleast one would be helpful since I am applying to med school... However, I've only been shadowing for a few weeks while I've been involved in dance for 3 years.

Lastly, would living in a student cooperative be something worth putting in my works and activities. I've lived in the coops for 2 years now and I've met some of the most interesting people in my life and have definitely shaped who I am today. Living in a coop also entail workshifts and a focus on sustainable living. Since I am already at 15 activities, I would take out my involvement in the Hepatitis B Project (only started this may, clinical work, vaccination and educational outreach to under-served asian populations. I only included it because I was hoping by the time interview hits, I will have gained some cool experiences so they can ask me about it then) Though, I could possible combine some of my activities so I do not have to take out the Hep B Project.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Hey guys, I wanted to get your input on an activity that I would (possibly) like to include in my application. For the hobbies category, I was thinking about including an activity that I did throughout high school: I got my blackbelt in tae kwon do my senior year of high school. Although I no longer have time to train at my gym, I still like to practice my forms on my own and have continued to do so throughout college. Can I still write about this/is it worthwhile? Also, I was hoping to sort of "group" this with a more recent hobby that I picked up while in college: photography. During my study abroad semester in Spain, I decided to take a class in photography and fell in love with it. I love developing film and taking pictures. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance. This thread is BEYOND amazing. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Quick question.

I have verifiers for my master's scholarship - my supervisor. However, I do not have any verifiers for my undergraduate scholarships and awards. Should I just input my own name as a verifier? Or Should I try to find someone else? I was thinking of just putting down the information of University's registrar but then I thought they might not have access to scholarship/awards from previous years.

Thanks for answering!!!

Quick question.

I have verifiers for my master's scholarship - my supervisor. However, I do not have any verifiers for my undergraduate scholarships and awards. Should I just input my own name as a verifier? Or Should I try to find someone else? I was thinking of just putting down the information of University's registrar but then I thought they might not have access to scholarship/awards from previous years.

Thanks for answering!!!

If in doubt, you can confirm it with your university's registrar directly, but I should think they have a record of *everything*. Go with them.

I have a question about course placement:

Let's say I'm a transfer student

Would you include your AP courses that are counted for credit under your current or former institution?

My undergraduate institution mentions (emphasis on mention... does not go into depth) Dean's List semesters and honor societies on its official transcript. Thus, is it redundant of me to list these in my AMCAS "Work Experience/Activities" ?

My undergraduate institution includes the mention of "dean's list" and honor societies on its official transcript. Thus, is it redundant of me to list these in my AMCAS "Work Experience/Activities" ?

No, since your official transcript is not a part of your application. You should list them.

No, since your official transcript is not a part of your application. You should list them.

thank you! So I suppose to save space, perhaps I can join them together into one category and in the "experience description" just list the dates of the awards?

should i use bullet points to get the main points across or should i use complete sentences in paragraph format?

Status
Not open for further replies.