Tufts MBS Program 2011-2012 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
was hoping I'd get into my one waitlist this year and give up my spot but had no such luck, so i'm joining you guys in the fall!!!

I was accepted awhile back (beginning of april) and now i'm looking into everything..

What have most people decided to do for housing? see everyone in august!

Members don't see this ad.

Are there any students in the area that are willing to give me a tour of the campus on Thursday? Ill be there around 11-3. PM me if you can.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Guys, I have been accepted recently and am trying to decide where to go. Anyone here has any info or plans on completing Master's thesis away from Tufts? e.g. your home state?

Thanks!

Congratulations to future MBS'ers and best of luck to those on the wait-list!

I have just completed the MBS classes, and thought I'd check back on SDN for the first time in more than a year to try to answer some questions you guys might have. I would never have known that these SMP's existed if not for SDN, so just by reading this, you are already on the right track to dig yourself of whatever hole you are in(for me, undergrad gpa 2.7).

I went to open house last year, and was very impressed with the Sackler building, where you will be spending most of your waking hours, so that sealed the deal for me with regards to the Tufts vs BU decision. I have heard great things about the program both coming in, and throughout with regards to people getting into med school. The inaugural class now have >90% acceptance rate, though that's like 3 or 4 years ago, and their admissions policy was more stringent for the 1st class, so people came in strong already.

I personally LOVED my experience here. This was the year that I really found myself, and was pushed to the max of my abilities. You'll hear that of most MBS'ers. The classes we took were:

1st semester: Integrated tests M1
Biochemistry (my fav class - I will be TA'ing this next semester)
Genetics

Cell Bio
Molec Bio
Immunology
Histology
(called Cell tissue organ biology)

Thanksgiving Break

Pharmacology
Introduction to Clinical Medicine (this class was a real crap-shoot, but the lecturer will change for next year, so who knows?)

2nd Semester :
HOLY CRAP it was a lot harder for me (I have really bad memory, but am good at more conceptually difficult things)

Pathology (I have a love/hate relationship with Dr. Kwan. I love the man, but HATE the tests he writes. If you study all the main ideas and understand them, it will only get you ~80% on the tests; to get the other 20%, you need to memorize EVERYTHING on EVERY slide. However, during volunteering, I came to realize that this is probably one of the most useful classes you will take.)
Physiology (more conceptual, like biochem)
Anatomy (TON of material, 1st test hit me like a wall of bricks and I never recovered enough to make up for it.)
Nutrition (EZ and interesting)
Elective (OMFG, please for your own good unless you have a spectacular memory, PICK GAIT ANALYSIS!!!!!)

I'm emphasizing 2nd semester b/c it is fresh in my memory, and was a lot tougher to get A's in.

The 1st semester, your grade depends on the Med students' average. Be warned though, despite their pass/fail policy, med students still average 80-85 in all the classes, so the cut-off for an A in MBS is usually about a 90. A lot of people have difficulty because they are fresh out of college and are not used to the amount of material you have to learn. The tests are all integrated. For example: you are currently taking biochem/genetics/cell bio - on the fourth monday, you will have 1 big exam that includes all of the courses you are currently taking. Some people like this, others don't, but I personally found this to work out excellently for two reasons:
1. A lot of the material from the classes overlap with each other, helping you reinforce your knowledge, and giving you a better understanding of the bigger picture.
2. By having all the tests together, you do not have to prioritize one class over another, and can learn everything as it is being taught.
Advice: Go to class, and all the reviews/tutoring sessions. Study in small groups of 2-4 people to keep each other on track. I know this sounds stupid, but PAY ATTENTION in class, you get so much more out of it when you are actively learning. After class, immediately review. Do not procrastinate; it is much easier to remember the material if you review it immediately after class. Lastly, personal tutoring is free, sometimes its helpful just to have a more experienced person to study with. Shameless self-promotion: I will be tutoring next year, so please don't hesitate to ask :D(I get paid per hour).

In the 2nd semester, your grade depends on fellow MBSers, despite everything they tell you, YOU WILL BE COMPETING against yourselves. Electives vary wildly with regards to difficulty, and all I can say is pick gait analysis. Do not let your guard down the 2nd semester, I hope I got that through...
Tests will be separated for each class, meaning most people will be constantly cramming for the test of the week, and their scheduling is pretty terrible, so you will see a rapid acceleration in the frequency of tests as the semester progresses.
Advice: Don't slack off after winter break; keep up your work ethic. The semester starts off deceptively slow, with only 2 classes, and you will be tempted to procrastinate just due to the lack of pressure. These 2 classes quickly build up to all 5 classes at the same time, so if you get behind initially, it is a steep uphill battle from there. Try your best to stick with the strategy of reviewing all the classes right after class as well as going to class. The people who did this were most successful.

Tufts MBS program was very intense, very rewarding; you'll be so happy at the end for giving it your all.

For those of you thinking of applying this cycle, I say do it, but don't apply for too many schools (you really need to focus on studying). Your chances for med school will definitely be lower than after the full year, but if you do well in Med foundations 1, you still have a good chance.

If you guys have any questions, shoot me an email and I'll try to answer em for you. Once again, congratulations, and good luck!:xf:

Reactions: 1 users
wow thanks for the info fish that's really awesome to know!

Unfortunately I'm not worried about the curriculum at the moment. I'm actually worried about trying to find housing..

What exactly is everyone doing? I'm not from Boston or anywhere in the area so I'm having trouble trying to find housing.. and for those of you like fish who are completing the program, what did you or your classmates do for housing?

Where are places you'd recommend to live? areas? etc? and any other tips? I honestly have no idea how to handle the housing situation... thanks!!!

Unfortunately I'm not worried about the curriculum at the moment. I'm actually worried about trying to find housing..

What exactly is everyone doing? I'm not from Boston or anywhere in the area so I'm having trouble trying to find housing.. and for those of you like fish who are completing the program, what did you or your classmates do for housing?

Where are places you'd recommend to live? areas? etc? and any other tips? I honestly have no idea how to handle the housing situation... thanks!!!

Hi Jk, most of my friends commute to school by the T (subway system). There is a T stop at the Tufts medical center, which is connected to Sackler(the building where all your classes are). As such, any apartment that's close to a T stop will be ok. If you want to be in walking distance, and don't mind spending $1000/month with 1 roomate, you can take a look at the Metropolitan apartment building, it's super-nice, and a 3 minute walk to Sackler. One of my friends lives in a really crappy apt 30 min T ride from school, and even that costs him >$600, so there ya go.

Hey JK, I don't live in Boston either so I am just starting to look for a place now. You can check out this website to get you started: http://www.tufts.edu/med/admissions/phpd/housingforphpd.html
It has a PDF graph showing where most Tufts grad students live (Crambridge, Somerville, Medford), and information about the Boston neighborhoods including cost.

My plan is to secure a year's lease before I get over there and if that isn't possible then I would fly over there a week or two before classes and look for housing locally while crashing at a friend's place or staying in a hotel. I imagine in a major city like Boston there would be a lot of turnover with rooms and new housing opportunities opening up frequently.

I have been advised to anywhere by the green line, or in Brookline/Allston/Brighton, Cambridge/Somerville, Back Bay, South End, and the Leather District. ...that's a lot of places to be thinking about. Any MBSers have some input?

Hey JK, I don't live in Boston either so I am just starting to look for a place now. You can check out this website to get you started: http://www.tufts.edu/med/admissions/phpd/housingforphpd.html
It has a PDF graph showing where most Tufts grad students live (Crambridge, Somerville, Medford), and information about the Boston neighborhoods including cost.

My plan is to secure a year's lease before I get over there and if that isn't possible then I would fly over there a week or two before classes and look for housing locally while crashing at a friend's place or staying in a hotel. I imagine in a major city like Boston there would be a lot of turnover with rooms and new housing opportunities opening up frequently.

I have been advised to anywhere by the green line, or in Brookline/Allston/Brighton, Cambridge/Somerville, Back Bay, South End, and the Leather District. ...that's a lot of places to be thinking about. Any MBSers have some input?

Hey apricot, thanks for the info yeah I've looked on the tufts site and searched several websites but it's a bit overwhelming and very difficult considering I'm not near boston haha

are you planning on living alone? I originally was looking for a 1BR or studio but it seems like it's pretty darn expensive... it seems like rent goes way down when you get one or two roommies.

but it's also difficult to find roommates so i'm not sure and I'm not a big fan of finding randoms (especially those not in the same program as us since hours are different and there might be difficulties)..

I dunno if anyone has any advice, either prior MBSers or future ones that have already secured housing, i'd really appreciate it!

I mean it's just crazy that on craigslist I can find a 1 BR for 1600 and a 2Br for 1700 lol might as well have two bedrooms to myself for an extra 100 bucks.

Last edited:
Hello all

I just received my acceptance in the mail today...and have a few questions about the program

I had a low science gpa during my undergrand 3.25ish (but for the most part I had good ECs, recs, PS, and mcat score (33 12V 11BS 10PS) .

I am currently wait listed at a couple medical schools as well.

I am still uncertain if the SMP route is the way to go (rather then simply taking post bacc classes)

Does this program seem worthwhile for me? And they told me that I must inform them by june 23rd..since i am still waiting on some other programs and such..will they allow me to have more time in deciding?

Sorry for these seemingly basic questions..I just want to make sure I make the right decision.

Hello all

I just received my acceptance in the mail today...and have a few questions about the program

I had a low science gpa during my undergrand 3.25ish (but for the most part I had good ECs, recs, PS, and mcat score (33 12V 11BS 10PS) .

I am still uncertain if the SMP route is the way to go (rather then simply taking post bacc classes)

Does this program seem worthwhile for me? And they told me that I must inform them by june 23rd..since i am still waiting on some other programs and such..will they allow me to have more time in deciding?

Sorry for these seemingly basic questions..I just want to make sure I make the right decision.

Keep in mind that the 1st semester is essentially identical to the Med students' with the exception of some extracurricular stuff. A lot of my fellow classmates are in the same boat as yourself. But still, I can't give you definitive advice on this decision, up to you.

Hello all

Hey hey, i'll try to help out, though I definitely agree that we can't make the decision for you..

being waitlisted means you're definitely right on the cusp and being in an SMP might help push you over the top. Also, having the high MCAT and everything else good aside from the GPA makes an SMP ideal. If you can really put your effort into getting straight A's you'll show med schools you can do med school and get in easily.

plus one thing I'm looking into is if I get into tufts I could possibly waive the courses I took and make first year easier..

however it's definitely important to be warned that if you don't do well in an SMP (which is very possible) you kill your chances at going to med school...

the big issue is that post-bacc courses won't improve your GPA all that much and if med schools know you're doing an SMP and doing well at it that may sway them more...

good luck and maybe we'll see you in the fall!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone, i'm going up to boston this saturday to look for housing..

If you're looking for roommates right now it's me and another MBSer.. feel free to PM me if you're interested.. soon please cause I gotta figure out how big of a place to look for..

Does anyone know the average GPA and MCAT of those accepted to this program? Or would anyone who was accepted mind posting their stats? Also, how many students are in each year's class? Thanks! :D

Does anyone know the average GPA and MCAT of those accepted to this program? Or would anyone who was accepted mind posting their stats? Also, how many students are in each year's class? Thanks! :D

Earlier in the thread someone mentioned the class size as being around 80 but she wasn't sure. I think it's probably around there but at most it's 100. I'll email one of the people tomorrow and ask for you.

And i have no idea what the GPA and MCAT are, but i'll tell you mine. I think I'm a little different though and I think my GPA is a little higher than normal SMPers.

I got a cGPA of 3.72 and a sGPA of 3.5. My MCAT was 29 and then 28 and I retook it on May 28th pending score release on June 28

i just found out i am waitlisted for the mbs at tufts . does anyone know if you can check where you are on the waitlist or have any idea about my situation?? i really want to get in and wondered if anyone has heard of anything i can do to improve my chances??:oops:

i just found out i am waitlisted for the mbs at tufts . does anyone know if you can check where you are on the waitlist or have any idea about my situation?? i really want to get in and wondered if anyone has heard of anything i can do to improve my chances??:oops:

I don't really know how the waitlist works for tufts or how the turnover is, but I hope you can get in! If it's like med school, when I was waitlisted to FSU I sent in any updates on what I did, I sent in other recommendation letters and I wrote a letter of intent. Maybe that would help?

I doubt they'd tell you where you are on the list though.. but i could be wrong. good luck!

mannnn have people been finding places to live? It seems like all the turnover occurs on sept 1... which is kinda sucky for us.. why did tufts mbs have to start on aug 19!? ahhhh!

Hey I was wondering about the top 25 guaranteed admissions part...

Is the interview for admission for the following year (11-12) or the year after that (12-13)

Congratulations to future MBS'ers and best of luck to those on the wait-list!

I have just completed the MBS classes, and thought I'd check back on SDN for the first time in more than a year to try to answer some questions you guys might have. I would never have known that these SMP's existed if not for SDN, so just by reading this, you are already on the right track to dig yourself of whatever hole you are in(for me, undergrad gpa 2.7).

I went to open house last year, and was very impressed with the Sackler building, where you will be spending most of your waking hours, so that sealed the deal for me with regards to the Tufts vs BU decision. I have heard great things about the program both coming in, and throughout with regards to people getting into med school. The inaugural class now have >90% acceptance rate, though that's like 3 or 4 years ago, and their admissions policy was more stringent for the 1st class, so people came in strong already.

I personally LOVED my experience here. This was the year that I really found myself, and was pushed to the max of my abilities. You'll hear that of most MBS'ers. The classes we took were:

1st semester: Integrated tests M1
Biochemistry (my fav class - I will be TA'ing this next semester)
Genetics

Cell Bio
Molec Bio
Immunology
Histology
(called Cell tissue organ biology)

Thanksgiving Break

Pharmacology
Introduction to Clinical Medicine (this class was a real crap-shoot, but the lecturer will change for next year, so who knows?)

2nd Semester :
HOLY CRAP it was a lot harder for me (I have really bad memory, but am good at more conceptually difficult things)

Pathology (I have a love/hate relationship with Dr. Kwan. I love the man, but HATE the tests he writes. If you study all the main ideas and understand them, it will only get you ~80% on the tests; to get the other 20%, you need to memorize EVERYTHING on EVERY slide. However, during volunteering, I came to realize that this is probably one of the most useful classes you will take.)
Physiology (more conceptual, like biochem)
Anatomy (TON of material, 1st test hit me like a wall of bricks and I never recovered enough to make up for it.)
Nutrition (EZ and interesting)
Elective (OMFG, please for your own good unless you have a spectacular memory, PICK GAIT ANALYSIS!!!!!)

I'm emphasizing 2nd semester b/c it is fresh in my memory, and was a lot tougher to get A's in.

The 1st semester, your grade depends on the Med students' average. Be warned though, despite their pass/fail policy, med students still average 80-85 in all the classes, so the cut-off for an A in MBS is usually about a 90. A lot of people have difficulty because they are fresh out of college and are not used to the amount of material you have to learn. The tests are all integrated. For example: you are currently taking biochem/genetics/cell bio - on the fourth monday, you will have 1 big exam that includes all of the courses you are currently taking. Some people like this, others don't, but I personally found this to work out excellently for two reasons:
1. A lot of the material from the classes overlap with each other, helping you reinforce your knowledge, and giving you a better understanding of the bigger picture.
2. By having all the tests together, you do not have to prioritize one class over another, and can learn everything as it is being taught.
Advice: Go to class, and all the reviews/tutoring sessions. Study in small groups of 2-4 people to keep each other on track. I know this sounds stupid, but PAY ATTENTION in class, you get so much more out of it when you are actively learning. After class, immediately review. Do not procrastinate; it is much easier to remember the material if you review it immediately after class. Lastly, personal tutoring is free, sometimes its helpful just to have a more experienced person to study with. Shameless self-promotion: I will be tutoring next year, so please don't hesitate to ask :D(I get paid per hour).

In the 2nd semester, your grade depends on fellow MBSers, despite everything they tell you, YOU WILL BE COMPETING against yourselves. Electives vary wildly with regards to difficulty, and all I can say is pick gait analysis. Do not let your guard down the 2nd semester, I hope I got that through...
Tests will be separated for each class, meaning most people will be constantly cramming for the test of the week, and their scheduling is pretty terrible, so you will see a rapid acceleration in the frequency of tests as the semester progresses.
Advice: Don't slack off after winter break; keep up your work ethic. The semester starts off deceptively slow, with only 2 classes, and you will be tempted to procrastinate just due to the lack of pressure. These 2 classes quickly build up to all 5 classes at the same time, so if you get behind initially, it is a steep uphill battle from there. Try your best to stick with the strategy of reviewing all the classes right after class as well as going to class. The people who did this were most successful.

Tufts MBS program was very intense, very rewarding; you'll be so happy at the end for giving it your all.

For those of you thinking of applying this cycle, I say do it, but don't apply for too many schools (you really need to focus on studying). Your chances for med school will definitely be lower than after the full year, but if you do well in Med foundations 1, you still have a good chance.

If you guys have any questions, shoot me an email and I'll try to answer em for you. Once again, congratulations, and good luck!:xf:

best post ever. i love you

Hey! first post on student doc!

got into the program and sent the deposit. Anyone still looking for apartments and doesn't have housemates. Looking to get a decent place and split it with a few people so the rents still manageable.

Send me a "PM", I guess that means an email through student doc

Oh and if anyone found a decent reality site to find listings, please share some of that listing love

see everyone in Boston

hey everyone!

I'm meeting ms stephens-hicks tomorrow, the director of the MBS program and if you have any questions, please let me know asap and I'll ask her for you and let you know the answer!

Also, I found out by talking to Tara Risi that the class size will be 115 this year and they move our classes to posner hall

Hey JKC, do you happen to know how many of those 115 seats have filled up?

Hey JKC, do you happen to know how many of those 115 seats have filled up?

I do not actually. Sorry!

But I'll try to remember to ask tomorrow and let you know!

Can you ask her how many students/class (or %) matriculate to Tufts eventually, and how many students/class matriculate to allo overall (I think they only have a number like 95% from the first class entered a professional school, but I'd like to know for allo specifically).

Hey guys, so I talked to the director of the MBS program today and asked a couple questions. Here you go:

Class size of 2011-2012
up to 100 but havent determined it fully yet (Tara Risi says it is 115)

How many years has the program been around?
This will be the 5th Class

Location of classes? Will it be with Med Students?
Most classes will be in Posner Hall this year due to larger class size. Med school classes are separate but it is the same course with the same exams taught by the same teachers. They just teach it twice at different times.

Waitlist - Is the class full?
No it is not full they are still in the process of evaluating candidates

How many students per class or percent matriculate to TUFTS med eventually?

She doesn't know off the top of her head but a good number do. Best bet would be to email admissions or something.

How many students per class matriculate to ALLO overall?
Also doesn't know off the top of her head but a good number as well.

Classes recorded online?
Yes through TUSK. Majority are though i dont know if all are.

Waiving classes for first year? Is it just for tufts med school?

Actually, tufts doesnt waive classes so you'd have to repeat the classes.

Volunteer Opportunities? Sharewood?

Sharewood is the one most do since you work alongside a med student and it's well established. but there are other chances. She actually heads them up so you can speak to her about it

Where do most people come from? male to female ratio?
Actually a lot come from california each year. As for other info, contact admissions for those stats.

Schedule?
Online but it's Fall = August to december and Spring = Jan to mid may probably the 3rd sunday

Certificate?
IMPORTANT!!! This year they areNOT doing the certificate option starting this year. I think something like the federal government isn't providing funding for it or something. but NO certificate option anymore.

Hope this helped you guys out a little bit.

Also I just finished my housing search and it is definitely ROUGH if you've never lived in a place like Boston. So PM me if you have any questions and I can try to help you guys out!

Last edited:
Hey everyone, I got a couple PMs asking about help for boston housing, so rather than having to respond the same thing to each one I figured I'd post what I wrote to one person on here:

This is really long, so sorry about that but i hope it helps. Sorry about the grammar and spelling too, don't feel like proofreading it or anything. lol

So i tried all three ways. Realtors are not the nicest people out there. My recommendation would be, if you're looking for at least a 3 or 4 bedroom place then go through a realtor. Otherwise they don't really care about 1 BR or studio people. I had DOZENS of appointments get canceled and many more realtors who didnt even return my phone call or email - either because the realtor wasn't caring enough to show me the place or because the place gets rented within an hour. Here's the thing about realtors - they charge a fee (usually a month's rent) and that sucks off the bat. But also, realtors want to make the most money they can - and leasing a 3 br for 3000+ makes them way more money than a 1000 dollar place. Also tons of people call in for 1000 dollar places so realtors seldom advertise them. Finally, DON'T tell a realtor you're keeping you options open and you're willing to live anywhere with as many rooms (1, 2, 3 etc.) - i thought this would help them cause there'd be more places available, but apparently realtors don't want to do all this searching for you finding and showing you 1, 2 and 3 BR places all around town just to have you sign somewhere else.

Also, it appears that 90 percent of the turnover in Boston occurs on Sept 1. So it's kinda difficult to find an August 1 move in and you might have to live in a hotel or somewhere for a couple weeks. I was also told it's a complete mess on sept 1 and you can't rent a truck anywhere in the entire state of massachusetts so i guess be prepared if you move sept 1. And they said people leave tons of furniture out - so if you're moving with no furniture like me - lets meet up and we'll go searching around town for the best pieces of furniture when people move out haha

I'd say if you had 3-4 people for a large place and if you know what specific area of town you want to live in - then a realtor might be a good idea. Otherwise, use craigslist or this other website i'll talk about in a sec and just make appointments - meet the realtor, see the place, and if you like it, get it. if not oh well.

Yes, use craigslist. But be very careful. There was a scam on there that I almost fell for and they looked pretty freakin legit. Not until I looked at the website they stated they were going through did I realize it was fake. Basically, if it's too good to be true (like a 900 dollar apartment that's supposed to be 4000 bucks) then it's not true.

The third way - which kinda helps with narrowing places down and showing them on a map (it uses craigslist as well) is www.padmapper.com

That place is pretty freaking awesome cause it maps out the area with listings for both apartments and people looking for roommates.

Also, there's a low chance you'll find something but in the drop down menu on craigslist next to the search for box, you can list places by "no fee" and "by owner". Usually these places will save you that ridiculous one month rent fee.

As for where you want to stay - it's really up to you. I heard parts of south boston are kinda sketchy but the parts I saw weren't too bad. I also heard that there are a couple spots near the ruggles orange stop where there are a concentrated number of students in an area so crime is a little higher there. All in all I never really had a problem or was worried about crime while I was there. Though I wasn't walking around past about 8 or 9. I'm also from miami so that might factor in as well. lol

I'd say if you can help it - not to find a place that requires you to transfer. We're right on the orange line - and it seems like transferring from the red line to the orange line - the red line gets there first, then the orange. this is awesome when you're going home since you take the orange, get off and jump on the red. But sucks when you're going to campus because you just miss the orange and have to wait another 10 min for the next one (orange line usually comes every 10 min). This is just my experience though - i switched red to orange like 4 times while i was there and it happened every time. I'm not sure about the green line - but it kinda blows cause you have to go like north of chinatown and come back down... I think the best places are along the orange line - so ruggles, symphony and mass ave, back bay station - bay village, chinatown.

Bay village is an interesting spot. I saw a decently nice studio for 1200 - high ceilings and decent sized and i also saw two tiny tiny studios for 995 and 1095. They were no fee which was nice. I don't remember the link or whatnot but it was on cortes and berkeley. The manager was a super nice guy, really friendly and the berekely one is .2 miles or a quick walk across a major street and a little further to the back bay orange stop. The downside is there doesn't seem to be much in the bay village area. You'd have to walk towards chinatown or something. It's also about a .6-.8 mile walk to tufts med - not bad at this time of year but i don't know about the winter. I'm not a snow kinda guy (being from miami, lol)

The north end isn't too bad but the places are super tiny, expensive and kinda crappy so I recommend not living there though it's not too far from haymarket stop on the orange.

Also, beacon hill is not only on the red line, but it's also on a giant hill lol so it's a bit of a walk up and down the hill. It all depends on how far you're willing to walk or ride the T. you can find super super cheap nice places in the brookline area. But I didn't want to do a 30 min T ride to tufts med every morning and night.

Also remember to factor in the cost of a monthly pass - if I remember correctly it's 45 bucks for a student.

Finally, there's this place right behind tufts med that I ended up renting from. it's pricey but the places are decent sized and you get a discount being a tufts student. There's also no fee. But the rent is like 1395 or 1500 a month only hot water included. They only have 2 left for an august move in. The 1395 is for a 1 BR junior apartment - the living room is TINY. The 1500 is for a pretty darn nice 1 BR apartment - decent sized living room. I liked the 1 BR a lot but it was just too pricey.

Remember though, places get rented in Boston in like hours. So these places may no longer be available. I had one realtor call me 15 minutes before we were supposed to see an apartment to tell me it got rented.

Hope this helps and if you have any other questions about it, shoot me a PM and I'll try to answer it if I can.

I'm looking for apartments, found a few listings for 2 and 3 bedroom pads. Does anyone need a housemate? PM me to look at some places and figure something out

Hey guys! I have been looking for housing and found a place on Newbury St in Downtown Boston(3 miles away from campus by car and a 10 min subway ride.) It's $995/person but it includes all utilities. I am looking for a female roommate to share the room with me. PM me if you're interested! I need to find someone by the end of the week!

Hey everyone, just got my acceptance and so am now scrambling for housing. Let me know if anyone else is looking. I prefer to be close to campus (ideally walking distance)

Hey guys,

Congrats on getting into the MBS program! I am an MBS student from the 2010-2011 year, and I am looking for someone to rent a room in my apartment. The apartment is 3 bedrooms, and it's in East Cambridge right next to the subway's green line. It's about 30 minutes commute (door to door) to Tufts.

PM me if you're interested!

Hey guys,

Congrats on getting into the MBS program! I am an MBS student from the 2010-2011 year, and I am looking for someone to rent a room in my apartment. The apartment is 3 bedrooms, and it's in East Cambridge right next to the subway's green line. It's about 30 minutes commute (door to door) to Tufts.

PM me if you're interested!

I'm looking for a MALE roommate. You'll be living with 2 former MBS students (both male). The rent is $850/month plus utilities (which usually average from $50-$100 a month), and you get your own room.

Hey everyone I'm looking for one more roommate. My friend and I will both be in the Tufts MBS program and found a nice 3 bedroom apartment in Bay Village (literally a 5 minute walk to the Tufts Med Campus).

Last edited:
If anybody still needs housing send me a PM! I have an open bedroom in the Metropolitan luxury apartment literally right next door to campus. Lease is available to start any time in August.

Hi Guys!

I'm a little stuck on how to draft this personal statement. Any helpful tips/suggestions out there from the successful applicants? Any advice would be great!

Thanks again, and congrats! :)

Hey there!
I don't know if this thread is still active, but I'm visiting this Friday (April 20th, 2012 :p) and would love to sit down with some current students! As well, I would really like to attend a class or two. Is anyone free on Friday or know who I could contact?
Thank you all very much! I hope everyone had an amazing year.
Best,
Caroline

Hey there!
I don't know if this thread is still active, but I'm visiting this Friday (April 20th, 2012 :p) and would love to sit down with some current students! As well, I would really like to attend a class or two. Is anyone free on Friday or know who I could contact?
Thank you all very much! I hope everyone had an amazing year.
Best,
Caroline

Hi Caroline,
I was an MBS student last year and I've been accepted to Tufts Medical School this cycle :) I'm not on-campus anymore but I think there are some current MBSers on the 2011-2012 Tufts Application Thread so maybe you'll be in luck if you post on there? Also try checking in with the PHPD office by phone call (617.636.3918) or email ([email protected]) before you arrive... Maybe they could hook you up with someone or at least let you go in on your own?

I think they do have class this Friday: 9 am-12 pm and then 1-2 pm.

Good luck and if you have any questions, feel free to PM me!

obviously it worked for you- any advice on Tufts v Georgetown SMP; how many people got in to med school the first year (why did you wait?), all the normal questions...

What are my chances if I apply now for fall 2012 with a 24 MCAT, sGPA 3.3 cGPA 3.4
2 Publications, Strong LOR and ECs.

What are my chances if I apply now for fall 2012 with a 24 MCAT, sGPA 3.3 cGPA 3.4
2 Publications, Strong LOR and ECs.

I don't think you should be applying to this program. Yes, your gpa is on the low side, but assuming you have an upward trend you should be alright. You're within 1 SD of the average anyway, so not too much to worry about. Your pubs should help make up for this (at some level anyway). Taking this program and doing anything short of excellent would hurt you.

Your mcat is CLEARLY the weakest point in your app. You're almost 2 SDs below the average. Just spend a few months cranking out some passages and retake in July or August. But only retake when you're CONFIDENT you can get 33+.

Don't do this program: costs a bunch of money, and one slipup could eliminate your chances.

when you say slipup are referring to get a low gpa? What gpa is considered good are completing this program. Would a 3.5 from a SMP like Tufts be considered negative on one's application? thanks.

You guys are on the wrong year for the MBS thread. Please see and/or post to the 2012-2013 thread. Thanks.

Hey guys, I am applying to Tufts MBS for Fall 2013 admission this spring. I'm taking the MCAT April 26th, so my scores won't be available until the end of May...does anyone know if the adcom would review (not necessarily make a decision) my application before they receive my test score?

Thanks in advance!