30+ MCAT Study Habits- The CBT Version

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

omegaxx

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
1) Your individual scores and composite score
PS=14 VR=13 WS=Q BS=14 Composite=41Q

2) The study method used for each section
PS&BS: Reviewed all the materials (except Organic Chem, because I just finished a year long O. Chem course and knew it like the back of my hand). Practiced.
VR: Practice, practice, practice.

3) What materials you used for each section(Kaplan, TPR, Examkrackers, AAMC, etc)
Princeton Review all the way.

4) Which practice tests did you use?
Princeton Review all the way.
I also bought AAMC 4-6 for building confidence two weeks before the actual exam.

5) What was your undergraduate major?
Pharmacology & English, although I took the exam after sophomore year so I just had the prereq sciences and five English courses under my belt.

6) Any other tips you may have for those of us who still have this test lurking over us?
Read smartly, and read a lot, not just textbooks and scientific papers and newspaper, but also materials in the humanities department.

7) How long did you study for the MCAT?
2.5 months (~10 weeks), averaging ~3 hrs/day.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
No matter if the individual or composite is correct, s/he can make that mistake with that score and get away with it =P

10 PS, 11 VR, 11 BS: 32 R

Although it doesn't seem orthodox, I didn't study for Verbal or Biological Sciences nearly at all. Just kind of "winged it". All of my time (7 weeks at 4 hours a day) were spent on PS.

3) What materials you used for each section(Kaplan, TPR, Examkrackers, AAMC, etc)
The only thing I studied were practice questions. Took a million sample quizzes from Kaplans question bank

Every AAMC test. I would definitely suggest this.

Medical Sciences (Biology w/ Chem minor)

6) Any other tips you may have for those of us who still have this test lurking over us?
Study questions. QUESTIONS QUESTIONS QUESTIONS. The more you see the more you realize what the question is asking. Read a lot to get your reading proficiency and speed up.

Take AAMC's over prep company's full-lengths, especially for your last five before the exam. Last week or two should just be practice tests. I did one every day for 2 weeks to train my mind to take a 4/5 hour test.

6 1/2 weeks at 4 hrs a day

Members don't see this ad :)
11 PS, 9 VR, 11 BS: 31 Q!

EK: Bio, verbal
BR: Chem
Orgo and physics were really not in any need to review much, I had really good classes in these subjects

3) Which practice tests did you use?
AAMC 3-11 (PS,VR, BS)
3 13 10 13
4 13 9 11
5 13 8 11
6 11 8 12
7 11 9 12
8 12 10 13
9 11 9 11
10 11 9 13
11 12 9 12

4) What was your undergraduate major?
BS. Kinesiology
MS. Human Physiology

5) Any other tips you may have for those of us who still have this test lurking over us?
Never give up, ever. For verbal, don't bother reading a ton, just get used to the type of questions they ask on the AAMC tests. Be confident and you will do well!

6) How long did you study for the MCAT?
5 months (1-2 hrs/day)

11 PS, 12 VR, 12 BS: 35Q

I used EK and Kaplan (I got the free ebooks when they were available) for BS and PS. I read the chapters and did the practice questions in the book. I also used Nova Physics to help refresh my mind since it had been so long since I'd taken it.

I didn't do anything special for verbal. I planned to but after I started taking the AAMCs I felt like I was ok since I was scoring above 10.

3) Which practice tests did you use?
I used the AAMC practice tests only. I didn't take all of them because I started taking them too late. I think I took 3, 4, 5, 9, 10, 11. I wanted to take the later ones so I skipped some in the middle.

4) What was your undergraduate major?
Computer Systems Engineering

5) Any other tips you may have for those of us who still have this test lurking over us?
The AAMC practice tests are awesome. I took them in a "distracted" environment (Starbucks with earplugs) so I would be more than prepared for the real deal. Take as many of them as you can.

6) How long did you study for the MCAT?
I studied probably 10-15 hours a week for three months.

PS: 11,VR: 12, BS: 14, WS: Q

Total Composite: 37Q
Test date: 5/26/11

PS- Read the sections of the Princeton Review physics book that I was weak in...did some practice problems
VR- Just did practice passages from TPR book
BS- Read the sections of the Princeton Review bio book that I was weak in...I didn't really study orgo since I was TAing this subject at the time
WS- Did the writing samples on AAMC 10 and 11

3) What materials you used for each section (Kaplan, TPR, Examkrackers, AAMC, etc)

PS: The Princeton Review
VR: The Princeton Review
WS: Nothing really
BS: The Princeton Review

TPR Diagnostic-25
AAMC 3- 32
AAMC 4- 31
AAMC 9- 35
AAMC 10- 33
AAMC 11- 35

AAMC Avg~33

Biochemistry

First off, you will most likely feel like crap after taking your test. I left the testing center with the feeling that I didn't break a 30. So don't void or sign up for a retake until you see your score since post-test day feelings DO NOT correlate to your actual score.

Started my TPR class in January, which met 8 hours a week until April. I went to most of the classes but didn't start hardcore studying until May. This gave me 3 weeks of solid MCAT prep. However, you really start your MCAT prep your freshman year of college with the pre-reqs. Take them seriously, do well, and truly understand the material. It works wonders. Good luck everyone!

PS: 12, VR: 10, BS: 10
Composite: 32 O
(5/20/11 Test Date)

PS: Heavy content review (since I was 3 years removed from physics and gen chem). Lots of practice quizzes/section tests from Kaplan.
VR: Practice passages. Is there any other way? :laugh:
BS: Didn't really study for BS, as my science courses really prepared me well for this section. My test day score was extremely disappointing compared to what I consistently got on practice tests (either 12 or 13). I chalk it up to nerves and just wanting to get the heck out of the 80 degree testing center...
WS: Did the AAMC practice writing samples. Never got them scored, just got used to writing about weird prompts under time constraints.

3) What materials you used for each section (Kaplan, TPR, Examkrackers, AAMC, etc)
Kaplan, AAMC.

Kaplan (1-4) and AAMC (8-11)

Neuroscience

-When practicing FL verbal, pretend that you only have 55 minutes instead of 60. The real MCAT passages are longer than AAMC practice VR, so you'll eat up more time reading. I rushed through the last passage on my real test day, which I'm assuming is what dropped my VR score from an average of 12 to a 10 on test day.
-You're going to feel like crap when you're done. For a whole month I thought I didn't break a 30. I signed up for another test day and everything. You have to remember that it is scaled and there are experimental questions, and you will most likely get a better score than you expect. Don't let the nerves take over!!

Took Kaplan class from January to March. Studied independently through April, then hit the practice tests once I was done with finals (last week of April).

2nd MCAT (5/26/2011): 12PS 13VR 14BS; Composite: 39O (99+ percentile)
1st MCAT (5/1/2010): 11PS 8VR 11BS; Composite: 30P (75th percentile)

The stuff below is how I prepared for my 2nd MCAT (39O). I used Kaplan the first time and do not recommend the Kaplan MCAT book AT ALL. TL;DR at the end for people like me who don't want to read the whole thing.

2) The study method used for SCIENCE sections
  • Read and review one chapter of EK per day (2-3 hours)
  • Read very carefully (no skimming) and pay special attention to the bolded and highlighted words/concepts
  • Keep a record of ANY particularly difficult concepts on a separate page (I called mine "Things I need to review")
  • Complete in-lecture questions as you read and review
  • Take a break and do the 30-minute in-class exam for the chapter completed (30 min)
  • Wait till the next day to review the exam: Don’t review immediately because you will still think about most questions in the same erroneous way which led you to miss them the first time. Instead, wait a day and review the missed questions with a fresh mind.
  • After finishing each subject, I would refer to the "Things I need to review" page and study topics I had difficulty with by seeking other sources: Wikipedia, Khan Academy and Google searches.
  • tl;dr summary: Read one EK chapter, do in-lecture questions, take a break, do 30-minute exam, wait a day, review.

3) What materials you used for each section
  • Examkrackers: MCAT Physics + Khan Academy videos
  • Examkrackers: MCAT Chemistry
  • Examkrackers: MCAT Biology
  • Examkrackers: MCAT Organic Chemistry
  • Examkrackers 101 Passages in MCAT Verbal Reasoning
  • tl;dr summary: EK science books, EK 101 Verbal

• AAMC 4, 5, 6R, 7R, 8, 9, 10, 11, Kaplan FL9
  • I found the old MCAT practice exams which have ~60 more questions
  • These longer exams train you to time yourself better and last longer :rolleyes:
  • My practice test results: http://goo.gl/LZRfV (For FL's and EK 101 Verbal)
N0vKw.png

• Biology
  • Neuroscience (minor)

Reviewing your practice exams/questions (SUPER IMPORTANT!):
  • Keep a separate notebook to write down concepts and formulae that you did not know/understand which led you to miss the question
  • Don’t make this long, just one or two succinct notes per question
  • Over time these will add up and will be extremely helpful
  • Often, knowing more about the wrong choices would have helped you eliminate them and pick the right one. So, also make notes about any concepts in the wrong choices that you didn’t know/had difficulty with.
  • tl;dr summary: Keep a list of succinct notes about concepts you had difficulty with on missed questions. Review this list several times
Verbal
  • I went from an 8VR to 13VR simply by doing a lot of practice
  • Whenever I had the chance, I would do a 60-minute exam from the EK 101 Verbal book and review it the next day (total of 14 60-minute exams)
  • Obviously, I also got verbal practice as part of the full-length (FL) exams
  • After you do enough practice, you will consciously/subconsciously recognize the underlying patterns to MCAT verbal questions
  • tl;dr summary: TONS of practice and careful review a day later

• Studying: 12 weeks; <3h/day; 4 days a week (weekends plus one day off per week :D)
  • Practice Exams: 8 exams in 3 weeks
  • I maintained a very flexible schedule that covered about 3-4 chapters a week

TL;DR:
  • Score: 39O (12PS 13VR 14BS)
  • Studying: Read one EK chapter, do in-lecture questions, take a break, do 30-minute exam, wait a day, review.
  • Books: EK science books, EK 101 Verbal
  • Practice: Lots of full-length (FL) exams, especially the older, longer MCAT practice exams
  • Reviewing: Review a day later and keep a list of succinct notes about concepts you had difficulty with on missed questions which you should review several times
  • Verbal: TONS of practice and careful review a day later

Final thoughts:
Like any standardized test, the MCAT can be mastered with enough practice. The key is to do LOTS of practice to shift your mindset into MCAT-mode, which is different from the thinking/mindset you use in most undergrad classes. Do not take test-prep lightly (as I did the first time around) and give it your best shot from the very beginning.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask/PM.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
1st MCAT (5/1/2010): 11PS 8VR 11BS; Composite: 30P
2nd MCAT (5/26/2011): 12PS 13VR 14BS; Composite: 39O

The stuff below is how I prepared for my 2nd MCAT (39O). I used Kaplan the first time and do not recommend the Kaplan MCAT book AT ALL. TL;DR at the end for people like me who don't want to read the whole thing.

2) The study method used for SCIENCE sections
  • Read and review one chapter of EK per day (2-3 hours)
  • Read very carefully (no skimming) and pay special attention to the bolded and highlighted words/concepts
  • Keep a record of ANY particularly difficult concepts on a separate page (I called mine "Things I need to review")
  • Complete in-lecture questions as you read and review
  • Take a break and do the 30-minute in-class exam for the chapter completed (30 min)
  • Wait till the next day to review the exam: Don’t review immediately because you will still think about most questions in the same erroneous way which led you to miss them the first time. Instead, wait a day and review the missed questions with a fresh mind.
  • After finishing each subject, I would refer to the "Things I need to review" page and study topics I had difficulty with by seeking other sources: Wikipedia, Khan Academy and Google searches.
  • tl;dr summary: Read one EK chapter, do in-lecture questions, take a break, do 30-minute exam, wait a day, review.

3) What materials you used for each section
  • Examkrackers: MCAT Physics
  • Examkrackers: MCAT Chemistry
  • Examkrackers: MCAT Biology
  • Examkrackers: MCAT Organic Chemistry
  • Examkrackers 101 Passages in MCAT Verbal Reasoning
  • tl;dr summary: EK science books, EK 101 Verbal

• AAMC 4, 5, 6R, 7R, 8, 9, 10, 11, Kaplan FL9
  • I found the old MCAT practice exams which have ~60 more questions
  • These longer exams train you to time yourself better and last longer :rolleyes:
  • My practice test results: http://goo.gl/LZRfV (For FL's and EK 101 Verbal)

• Biology
  • Neuroscience (minor)

Reviewing your practice exams/questions (SUPER IMPORTANT!):
  • Keep a separate notebook to write down concepts and formulae that you did not know/understand which led you to miss the question
  • Don’t make this long, just one or two succinct notes per question
  • Over time these will add up and will be extremely helpful
  • Often, knowing more about the wrong choices would have helped you eliminate them and pick the right one. So, also make notes about any concepts in the wrong choices that you didn’t know/had difficulty with.
  • tl;dr summary: Keep a list of succinct notes about concepts you had difficulty with on missed questions. Review this list several times
Verbal
  • I went from an 8VR to 13VR simply by doing a lot of practice
  • Whenever I had the chance, I would do a 60-minute exam from the EK 101 Verbal book and review it the next day (total of 14 60-minute exams)
  • Obviously, I also got verbal practice as part of the full-length (FL) exams
  • After you do enough practice, you will consciously/subconsciously recognize the underlying patterns to MCAT verbal questions
  • tl;dr summary: TONS of practice and careful review a day later

• Studying: 12 weeks; 3h/day; weekends plus one day off per week :D
  • Practice Exams: 8 exams in 3 weeks
  • I maintained a very flexible schedule that covered about 3-4 chapters a week

TL;DR:
  • Studying: Read one EK chapter, do in-lecture questions, take a break, do 30-minute exam, wait a day, review.
  • Books: EK science books, EK 101 Verbal
  • Practice: Lots of full-length (FL) exams, especially the older, longer MCAT practice exams
  • Reviewing: Review a day later and keep a list of succinct notes about concepts you had difficulty with on missed questions which you should review several times
  • Verbal: TONS of practice and careful review a day later

Final thoughts:
Like any standardized test, the MCAT can be mastered with enough practice. The key is to do LOTS of practice to shift your mindset into MCAT-mode, which is different from the thinking/mindset you use in most undergrad classes. Do not take test-prep lightly (as I did the first time around) and give it your best shot from the very beginning.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask/PM.

Wow Sorry to waste this post, but you murdered the MCAT. Great Job and great score.

It's about time that I posted as much of my personal strategy that I can in this thread. To be honest I'm kind of ashamed that I haven't yet! Without further ado, here is Vihsadas's Personal MCAT Strategy (err...mostly, I think.):

1) Your individual scores and composite score:

PS: 15
BS: 14
VR: 11
WS: S
Composite MCAT: 40S

As a general note, practice will always be the most important part of your MCAT preparation…for any section. You should make time to do as many practice exams as you possibly can and to do practice problems as you are doing your content review. For the MCAT, you need to become comfortable with the testing format, the types of questions, and the manner in which concepts and information is tested. Being familiar with these aspects of the exam can only come through long and thorough practice of MCAT material. If you are diligent and really put forth maximal effort into practicing the material, you will start to gain an intuition about MCAT questions, and how to approach them. Accordingly, the number one mistake made by MCAT studiers is to only review the material in great depth, and to neglect actually taking timed, full-length practice MCAT exams. In fact, you must do both.

PS:
Understanding Concepts and Developing an Intuition – The best way to approach this section is to be extremely curious about the concepts presented. When you are reviewing a particular concept you should constantly be asking yourself “WHY?” Doing so will refocus your thought process from one of memorization to one of understanding. In fact, you must understand why all of the equations are the way they are, and why they make logical sense. One way to facilitate this process is to try and work through what you think should happen without worrying about the numbers at first. Often, students have memorized an equation and will just settle for plugging values into an equation in order to try and arrive at an answer. Unfortunately, this process often bogs the student down in number crunching at the expense of understanding what is actually going on. The latter is extremely important for the MCAT.
Thus, when you are doing physics and chemistry problems, the first thing you should do is think about the general result you would expect from the situation given. Only when you have understood what should happen conceptually, should you begin number crunching. For instance, if you are dealing with an acid base buffer problem and the question asks, “What will the pH be after I add X amount of Y substance?”, the first thing you should do is ask yourself, “Would I expect the pH to increase a little or a lot, stay the same, or decrease a little or a lot?” Once you think through the concepts, you’ll be more confident in your numerical answer as well as have an understanding of why your numerical answer is correct. After all, the MCAT is a thinking test. If you do not understand the concepts you simply will not be able to confidently answer a fair number of problems on the real exam. That being said, even though I have stressed the importance of concepts, you still must also know all of the relevant equations, and be comfortable with manipulating those equations. Both concept understanding and skill in formula manipulation are necessary for success on the MCAT PS.

Additional Note: When we say we are doing "Content Review" in terms of PS, this includes doing practice problems along with your content review to absorb the material. For physics and chemistry, an integral part of learning to understand the material is to work through problems to make the logical process more concrete in your mind. Thus, do sectional tests, practice problems and practice passage (but not timed, full lengths!) when studying.

Learning to be Highly Proficient with Simple Math – This is a point that is grossly overlooked both by students themselves and test prep companies. In my opinion, the most important factor that separates the average speed test taker from one who can finish the PS section with 10-20mins remaining is the ease at which the latter uses estimation methods, tricks with formula manipulation, and answer elimination techniques to reduce the amount of scratch work necessary to complete a problem. On my real exam, I used no more than ¼ a single-sided page for scratch work on the PS. Because I was intensely comfortable with order of magnitude estimation, decimal estimation, log estimation, dimensional analysis and conceptual knowledge I could eliminate answer without too much written math. Sure, you could use the formulas to explicitly solve each problem, but using estimation along with formula manipulation will save you whole minutes on the real exam. In previous posts I have highlighted one example of this:
Estimation trick for pH and log calculations

In addition, you must be completely comfortable with orders of magnitude estimation. You should be able to figure out just from estimation what the order of magnitude of the answer should be. This will aid you in eliminating one or two answers right away. One way to start to get good at this is to treat every number in scientific notation:
If X = n x 10^-4 and Y = p x 10^8, then Y/X = (p/n)x 10^(8 + 4).
You must be completely fluent in order of magnitude manipulation like this. Definitely practice it.

You should also become familiar with estimating the decimal values of weird looking fractions and the fractional values of weird looking decimals. For instance, .3145/.6021 might look difficult, but it’s approximately = ½. This kind of estimation is usually sufficient for the MCAT, and GREATLY simplifies the manipulation of formulas and numerical calculations.

Dimensional Analysis – Using the units of physical quantities to your advantage is also often grossly overlooked by students. One way to check your math is to manipulate the units of the quantities you are using while you are manipulating the math.
The following post sufficiently explains one very MCAT relevant way of how you should be able to use dimensional analysis on the PS section of the MCAT:
An example of how dimensional analysis can really save you one the MCAT.

An additional way dimensional analysis can be helpful is if you forget the formula for something. Let’s say that you forgot that one of the formulas for electric potential (Volts) is Volts = Electric field * distance. Let’s say that you know that Voltage is expressed in Joules/Coulomb and Electric field is Newtons/Coulomb. Then, you remember that Work (Joules) = Force (Newtons) * Distance (meters). Therefore, if I multiply Newtons/Coulomb * Distance I get Joules/Coulomb, which is the correct units for electric potential. Usually, this trick will lead you to the right answer!
A word of warning, however, about this last point: Sometimes there will be an extra constant factor needed to arrive at the correct answer. Therefore, only use this technique when you really forget the correct formula and be wary for extra constants! Example:
Let’s say that you know the units of energy are [E] ~ kgm^2/s^2. Knowing that, it would be reasonable to guess that one correct formula for energy would be E = mass*velocity^2. Afterall, mass*velocity^2 has the correct units…but because of how the formula for energy was derived, energy, as you know, is actually = ½ mass*velocity^2.
So while this particular trick with dimensional analysis can be useful, you must not rely on it.

VR:
See the following post: My Verbal Strategy
Just as a note, I wanted to say that I was scoring 13-15s on the verbal practice exams for AAMC CBT 7-10. As a word of warning, please heed the part I mention about being able to do the verbal section with 5-10mins remaining. If you get a monster verbal section like I did on the MCAT, you’ll at least be prepared to get through the entire thing. My real verbal was hard. Really hard. Be prepared!

BS:
Biology is like a Modified Verbal Section – The trick to the BS is treating this section a little like the verbal section. You should definitely memorize everything that you possibly can in terms of biology and organic, but, while your are memorizing you MUST think long and hard about the logic of what you are memorizing. For instance, you can memorize all of the favorable and less favorable conditions that lead to Sn2 or Sn1 or E1 or E2 reactions in organic, but, do you have a conceptual understanding of WHY these different conditions favor one type of reaction over the other. This type of conceptual understanding on the bio section is absolutely necessary for the MCAT. Then, you will have to be able to understand the logic that is presented in the passage (because it will be more convoluted than in the PS) and using the logic set down by the passage, apply what you already know.

Know Intimately what you Expect to be Tested on– One type of logic useful for the BS section is to be familiar with the topics that you would expect to be tested and to use that knowledge to your advantage. Let me give you an example. Let's say you are given a large organic macro-molecule diagram with various keto/acetyl-groups labeled "A" "B" "C" "D". You are then asked "Enzyme X is added to a solution of the macromolecule, which keto/acetyl group do you expect to be cleaved?"
Now let's say you have absolutely no idea what enzyme X does and you have never even heard of enzyme X. What would you do? On the MCAT, with the information I've given you, you should be able to guess what the operative characteristic is that the test-maker is trying to test. I can guarantee that it has something to do with how strongly that "O" is drawing electrons from that C=O bond. So without even looking at the answer choices, you should be able to narrow it down to two possibilities: the highest amount of electron draw, and the lowest amount of electron draw.

Applying knowledge to novel situations – While this is important for the PS section as well, it's much, much more likley to show up on the BS section. You will be asked to integrate many different subjects in one passage and use your conceptual knowledge to find an integrated answer. Sure you know all the oxidation and reduction reactions, but if I gave you a novel reaction could you logic out whether it should be an oxidation or reduction reaction? Then, could you use that information to determine whether that reaction would help or hurt the aerobic capcity of a mammal? Do you understand WHY the oxidation and reduction reactions proceed the way they do? Can you hypothesize mechanisms for different reactions? Do you understand WHY electrons move the way that they do? Always, always, always ask ‘why?’ Then, of course, you still do have to memorize all of the information as well.
It take all of 1) Memorization, 2) Conceptual understanding, and 3) Problem Practice!

Additional Note: Although more helpful for the PS section, doing practice problems during your content review including sectional tests and practice passages can also be helpful to drive home important concepts in the BS section. This is especially true for the organic chemistry section. I definitely recommend doing some practice problems as you finish various sections in your content review, but again, timed full length practice during your content review may not be that helpful. Save those full-lengths for after your content review study months.

3) The practice materials you used
Kaplan Premiere Program Book (2008)
Princeton Review ‘Cracking the CBT’ (2008)
The Princeton Review Verbal Workbook
Kaplan Sectionals and Topical Exams
Kaplan QBank
Monthly Quizzes and Tests from Kaplan Online (Comes with Premiere Program)
Wikipedia and Google (Seriously, for random things I wanted to know)

I studied the Kaplan Premiere Program and Princeton Review Cracking the CBT book side by side. Although there is a large amount of overlap between the two books, each book covers the material from a different angle and there is some information that is not doubled in each section. I found this tactic to be very helpful in gaining a deeper understanding of the material, particularly for the organic chemistry section of the exam.

I made absolutely sure to get my hands on as many practice tests as I possibly could. Altogether I took 20 practice exams. I had access to:
AAMCCBT 3 – 10 and the extra passages from 3R – 9R (8 exams)
Exams that came with the Princeton review ‘Cracking the CBT’ (4 exams)
Free Princeton Review Exam (1 Exam)
Kaplan Full Lengths 1- 11 (11 Exams)
Free Kaplan Exam (1 Exam)
Gold Standard CBT Free Exam (1 Exam)
Two Kaplan Exams on CD, Premiere Program, (2 Exams)

A Copy of my testing schedule is attached to this post.

5) What was your undergraduate major
I started off as a B.Mus in Music Theory at the McGill Conservatory of Music and then started all over again in a joint program in Physics and Physiology in my 3rd year. I finished my undergraduate degree after 6 years.

6) Any other tips you may have
Post-Game Analysis: The most important thing you can do is post-game analysis of your practice exams. Keep a log of the types of questions that you are missing, and why you thought you missed the question. Make sure that you review every single problem, right or wrong on your practice exams. Even though you may have gotten a problem correct, you need to ensure that you got it right with the correct thought process and also, in the most efficient manner possible. Therefore, you need to review every single problem that you do on practice exams. If you do this you will begin to see a pattern about how the MCAT test makers have structured the exam questions, and how to develop what I call ‘MCAT intuition’ about what the correct and incorrect answers are.

What is the test maker thinking? Accordingly, think about what the test maker is trying to test! Really try and figure out what concept or thought process or piece of knowledge the test maker is trying to test with a particular question. If you think about that, you have a better chance of not over-complicating problems and seeing what you are supposed to do. It is important to try and think from their perspective.

Critically think about what you are a doing! Although it seems obvious I guarantee that many of you are not doing this! I know, because when I started studying I wasn’t doing this either. Always ask ‘why?’ and always question the process you are taking. You must always be critically thinking about how you are approaching each problem. Make sure that you are completely aware of exactly what you are doing, and why you are doing it when you are testing.

Practice! The more practice you do, the more familiar you will be with the material in an MCAT format, and the more familiar you will be with doing the calculations or thinking that will be required of you on the MCAT. This is extremely important. Practice as much as you can, and whenever you can.

Ample Content Review: Although practice is definitely more important than studying, in my opinion the best way to study (if you have the luxury of time) is to do solid content review for 1 – 1.5 months and then do a very, very arduous string of practice exams for the next 1 – 1.5 months. I believe that taking full-length, timed practice exams when you lack a cursory knowledge of the topics and material covered on the MCAT is a waste of time. You can’t improve your MCAT test-taking skills if you don’t have the basic MCAT knowledge at hand. Personally, I did 1 to 1.5 months of solid content review with a diagnostic at the beginning, and then 1.5 months of practice exams, reviewing the material between exam days. Note, however, that I did do practice problems in the course of my content review. In fact, practice problems are very important for gaining a solid understanding of some of the concepts, especially in the PS! What I am saying is to avoid doing practice tests during your content review, but practice problems, however, are very important!

In my opinion, the four most important keys to MCAT success are:

1) Practice!
2) Know everything. Really.
3) Understand the Concepts and Logic.
4) Do many, many full length timed practice exams.

In the final days before the exam: In the final 2-3 weeks before you real exam you must develop a routine to get your body and mind ready for test day. For instance, I planned my 'homestretch' for 2.5 weeks before my exam. At this point content review is long ago done with. I'm not really even opening up my books anymore unless there's a random/weird fact I somehow missed. The last 2.5 weeks are for tying up loose ends, final test-taking preparation, and getting yourself into an MCAT Rhythm. Here’s what I did:

1) I took four AAMC CBTs in these final days and I planed 3 day breaks between each of these last four exams so that my actual MCAT was synchronized with this schedule. It is important to make these last exams AAMC exams because they are the closest thing you have to the real MCAT.
2) In addition, I took each of these last four exam at the exact time that I would take my real MCAT, and woke up and went to sleep at the same time that I would on and before real test day.
3) I also restrained myself from going to my refrigerator during breaks, and brought an ‘MCAT lunch and snack’ which was exactly what I would take to the real MCAT to my room on practice test days.
4) In the days between exams, I reviewed the tests (the same way as I suggest above) and also did peripheral content review if there was a particular concept or question I was still shaky on.

By simulating real test taking conditions as close as possible and developing a ‘routine’, when I got to my real exam, it was just another day at the office so to speak. :) My body, my sleep cycle, and my mind were just continuing the routine I had developed over those last 2.5 weeks.

I took the first of the final four tests on a Wednesday, the next on the following Sunday (3 day break), the next on the following Thursday (3 day break), and the final one on the following Monday (3 day break). That way I had a 3 day break until my real exam which was Friday.

I believe that making my last four exam times periodic and treating them like my real exam really helped. When I sat down to do my real exam it really felt like it was nothing unusual from my normal routine. I was prepared, and I had done this before... That helped to calm my nerves and give me extra confidence.

7) How long did you study?
Total time studied: I studied for approximately 3 to 3.5 months for 4-8 hours every day, 7 days a week.

Guys, you really can do this. Just treat the MCAT like a big game, a competition of sorts that you are trying to win at. Get excited about studying and doing better on the next practice exam. If you are able to take that pseudo-masochistic viewpoint, the MCAT almost becomes fun. Put your mind, body, soul…put your entire existence into this MCAT for a few months. Remember, it’ll be worth it in the end. If I can do it, you can to. You just have to figure out the best way for you to gain your own success. Good luck, and kick that MCAT straight in the crotch!

Hey! I was just wondering if you took the kaplan course or any other course? or did you just get the books and study on your own? Thanks!

Hey! I was just wondering if you took the kaplan course or any other course? or did you just get the books and study on your own? Thanks!

Looks like the poster used materials from the Kaplan Premier program and studied on his/her own, mostly. It appears that the best part of going to a test-prep course is the large amount of practice materials that they offer.

Could understand why this person choose two individual major. It's like killing two birds with one stone. You have majors on one side and on the other side is the study habits. Learning at a quicker pace.

Members don't see this ad :)
PS: 11,VR: 12, BS: 14, WS: Q

Total Composite: 37Q
Test date: 9/9/10

PS - went over chapters in TPR, summarized/made my own notes, practice passages in TPR workbook

BS - same as PS; also made flashcards for hormones

V - read TPR strategies, practiced lots of passages/practice tests

PS, BS: TPR
V: TPR, Examkrackers 101 passages (I highly recommend this)
W: didn't practice

The best thing I used was the little Princeton booklet with a bunch of questions for each science section. If you are able to answer all of those questions the science sections will be cake.

Mainly AAMCs. I took almost all of the ones available. I only did a couple TPR tests.

Biology

Discipline and confidence. Only two things you need.

I took TPR class from mid June - August. That gave me about 4 weeks between the class and when I actually took the test. This was the most valuable part of my preparation.

During the course I had two goals: memorize/be familiar with all the science material and become very comfortable with the verbal section.

After the course I took one practice test (usually AAMC) every 3 days. I would take the test then analyze the mistakes I made. After that I would review my notes for the stuff I missed and did practice passages to make sure I got the material down.

My initial score was mid 20s on the first TPR test and went up a few points each time. I peaked with a 40. My last test, AAMC 10, I got exactly the same score I did on the real test.

tl; dr: I took TPR course, studied hard during those 10 or so weeks, and took 4 weeks to do practice tests

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
hey,
the 06/16 people should be posting anyday now...could you pls put your practice test scores up along with what test you used. (i.e. TBR CBT #3: 10PS 10 VR 10 BS) Especially if you took TPR, TBR, or Kaplan FLs. Maybe this could help eliminate all those "which tests are most representative" threads. Thanks!

hey,
the 06/16 people should be posting anyday now...could you pls put your practice test scores up along with what test you used. (i.e. TBR CBT #3: 10PS 10 VR 10 BS) Especially if you took TPR, TBR, or Kaplan FLs. Maybe this could help eliminate all those "which tests are most representative" threads. Thanks!

:thumbup: yea i agree. that would be incredibly helpful.

So... it's about time I contributed to this thread. I am a two timer MCAT examinee. I wrote last July and this past January.

The first score I got was...
PS - 8
VR - 11
WS - S or T foggy memory, too lazy to open THx
BS - 11

I studied, but I didn't really feel "ready". Truth be told you will never feel ready... I took TPR course, and thought it was a great resource. Aside from that the first time I did the test, I only used TPR and Ek101 verbal.

Now... for my 1/28/2011 RETAKE!!!!

1) Your individual scores and composite score:
PS: 12 :) :) :) (Take that MCAT!)
BS: 13
VR: 12 :soexcited::wow:
WS: T
Composite MCAT: 37 T

PS- I would read the material in the prep book (EK, TBR, TPR), then I would go through and do practice problems until I couldn't anymore. I used EK1001 questions as practice for chem and physics. EK was great to reinforce some stuff during content review.

VR - I didn't really "study" much for VR, I have always done well on verbal reasoning. My advice is to be an active reader and get your hands on absolutely everything that you can. Magazines, books, obscure novels whatever. Make sure you keep your cool during your VR section on the test. It will feel unfamiliar and scary. Keep focused, this is the number one deal breaker, once you start to lose your focus... it's over, kiss that 10 goodbye. EK101 is god here, however, I think the TPR stuff is also really awesome.

WS - I actually did practice this section, hence why I got a T. It's a joke to prepare for, learn the formula (Thesis, Antithesis, Synthesis) and know how to make up BS examples to get through this section. Personally I rather like this section right before the BS, found it therapeutic.

BS - The current MCAT is not reflective of the practice tests. For BS, I was fortunate to receive a lot of molecular biology, biochem, and physiology on my test. I had minimal orgo (don't make the mistake of not studying orgo, cuz you can get slammed with 3 orgo passages... yes it has happened). I would recommend taking some advanced classes that require you to look at journal articles and analyze tables and graphs. Those classes were a big help for me. I used TPR and EK Bio for review here.

3) The practice materials you used
The Princeton Review Science Books
The Princeton Review Verbal Workbook
TBR TBR TBR TBR TBR TBR (I attribute my 4 point increase in score to TBRs most amazing physical sciences preparation, HOLLER BERKREVIEWTEACH!
ExamKrackers for Bio, Physics, Chem, along with the 1001 questions
Wikipedia and Google (Seriously, for random things I wanted to know)

I made absolutely sure to get my hands on as many practice tests as I possibly could.

I did AAMC 3-10, and then 11 I did to get myself in gear.
All the TPR exams
I used some of the Kaplan tests for kicks, but the verbal sections were far too easy on these tests.

5) What was your undergraduate major
Physiology (best major ever!)

6) Any other tips you may have
!!!Borrowed the following from Vihsadas!!!!

Post-Game Analysis: The most important thing you can do is post-game analysis of your practice exams. Keep a log of the types of questions that you are missing, and why you thought you missed the question. Make sure that you review every single problem, right or wrong on your practice exams. Even though you may have gotten a problem correct, you need to ensure that you got it right with the correct thought process and also, in the most efficient manner possible. Therefore, you need to review every single problem that you do on practice exams. If you do this you will begin to see a pattern about how the MCAT test makers have structured the exam questions, and how to develop what I call ‘MCAT intuition’ about what the correct and incorrect answers are.

What is the test maker thinking? Accordingly, think about what the test maker is trying to test! Really try and figure out what concept or thought process or piece of knowledge the test maker is trying to test with a particular question. If you think about that, you have a better chance of not over-complicating problems and seeing what you are supposed to do. It is important to try and think from their perspective.

Critically think about what you are a doing! Although it seems obvious I guarantee that many of you are not doing this! I know, because when I started studying I wasn’t doing this either. Always ask ‘why?’ and always question the process you are taking. You must always be critically thinking about how you are approaching each problem. Make sure that you are completely aware of exactly what you are doing, and why you are doing it when you are testing.

Practice! The more practice you do, the more familiar you will be with the material in an MCAT format, and the more familiar you will be with doing the calculations or thinking that will be required of you on the MCAT. This is extremely important. Practice as much as you can, and whenever you can.

Ample Content Review: Although practice is definitely more important than studying, in my opinion the best way to study (if you have the luxury of time) is to do solid content review for 1 – 1.5 months and then do a very, very arduous string of practice exams for the next 1 – 1.5 months. I believe that taking full-length, timed practice exams when you lack a cursory knowledge of the topics and material covered on the MCAT is a waste of time. You can’t improve your MCAT test-taking skills if you don’t have the basic MCAT knowledge at hand. Personally, I did 1 to 1.5 months of solid content review with a diagnostic at the beginning, and then 1.5 months of practice exams, reviewing the material between exam days. Note, however, that I did do practice problems in the course of my content review. In fact, practice problems are very important for gaining a solid understanding of some of the concepts, especially in the PS! What I am saying is to avoid doing practice tests during your content review, but practice problems, however, are very important!

PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE! Stop with the content review, and start with the practice questions. The test isn't going to examine your ability to read a book.

7) How long did you study?

I started in October of 2010, and went straight through Christmas and most of January. I didn't really get serious until after Christmas though. I studied on average 5-6 hours a day. I always studied at the time I was writing my test. I would get up early, and start studying and doing practice questions early.

In conclusion, the MCAT is a beast... do not underestimate it. To those people who are not scoring well above their target score... don't write yet. Yes, miracles do happen and you score 3 points above your practice test average. But this is extremely RARE! I wanted a 33, with a 10 in physical sciences, my last practice test was a 36 or a 37 I think... but a friend of mine scored a 36 on his last practice test and got a 32 on the real deal.

I wish you the best of luck in your MCAT studies, be diligent, keep your head held high, do not let this test think it can win. YOU can beat this b!tch!
:luck:

&#8232;PS: 14, VR: 11, BS: 15, WS: R&#8232;
Total Composite: 40R
Test date: 6/16/11&#8232;&#8232;

2) The study method used for each section&#8232;&#8232;

PS- Examkrackers and Berkeley Review. I read through the EK books about 3 times during the year before the test. During my dedicated study time, I read through BR twice, did all the passages, and took notes on any questions I got wrong. These passages were, IMO, much harder than the actual MCAT and AAMC practice test, but they are great practice.

&#8232;VR- Didn’t practice at all. My practice scores varied from 11 to 15, with no rhyme or reason. I have read a lot of dense material prior to the MCAT, which helped with those incredibly annoying passages. Once you get over 11 in VR, it is a bit of crapshoot.

&#8232;BS- Examkrackers and Princeton Review. I read through EK at least 3 times (I had a dedicated bathroom copy), and I highly recommend it. It is easy to go overboard memorizing things for BS, but EK kept the material to the bare minimum. Princeton Review was really well written, and far more comprehensive, so it would be a great choice for people who haven’t taken biology for a while.

WS- Didn’t practice. Everyone said it didn’t matter, so I believed them.

&#8232;&#8232;3) What materials you used for each section (Kaplan, TPR, Examkrackers, AAMC, etc)&#8232;&#8232;

PS: Examkrackers and Berkeley Review
VR: Nothing&#8232;
WS: Nothing&#8232;
BS: Examkrackers and Princeton Review

&#8232;4) Which practice tests did you use?&#8232;&#8232;
AAMC 3-11 (PS, VR, BS)

&#8232;3- 13 12 13 = 38&#8232;
4- 14 11 14 = 39
&#8232;5- 13 12 13 = 38&#8232;
7- 13 15 14 = 42
&#8232;8- 14 14 14 = 42&#8232;
9- 12 12 13 = 37&#8232;
11- 14 11 14 = 39

Average: 39

&#8232;&#8232;5) What was your undergraduate major?&#8232;&#8232;

Biochemistry&#8232;&#8232;

&#8232;&#8232;Start early. I started casually studying the EK books a year before the MCAT. I kept a book by my bed, in my backpack, by the john, etc. I was able to read through each book several times without burning out. By the time I got to my dedicated study times, I already felt very confident about the basic material, and was able to spend my time fine-tuning for the test.&#8232;&#8232; Also, if you can get a job as a tutor or TA for the sciences, do it. I tutored extensively for orgo and physics, and it really is the best way to learn the material.

7) How long did you study for the MCAT?&#8232;&#8232;

One or two hours a week for the year before the MCAT, and around 25 hours a week for the last 5 weeks. About 200 hours total studying. However, I put a lot of time into my pre-reqs, and I took many upper level courses that helped tremendously (Physiology, Biochemistry, Genetics). The best advice I can give is to start early so you aren’t stressed out close to the test. Good luck!

.1) Your individual scores and composite score..

.PS: 11,VR: 11, BS: 14, WS: S
Total Composite: 36S
Test date: 6/16/11

I didn't take a class and studied on my own.

PS - 100% TBR, all reading + all passages twice + 1/2 EK 1001 physics book

BS - I went overboard with TBR here and not only did all their passages but did everything possible to fully understand the info in the books, including the Molecular & Cell Bio book. I know people say it's too much info but I firmly believe it is the sole reason I did well on the Bio section. I raised my BS score from a 10 on AAMC #3 to consistently scoring 13-15 on the BS section. I knew this was a weak section for me initially so I spent a lot of time on it. I also used TPRH and did all the passages in the science workbook as well as reading their review book twice over.

V - Did about 1/2 of EK 101 book but that's it. My scores here were in the 11-13 range from the beginning so I didn't want to spend too much time on it.

PS: TBR + EK 1001
BS: TBR + TPRH
V: EK 101
W: didn't practice

If I had to choose only one source it would unquestionably be TBR. If you can get to a point that you're consistently scoring 12+ in their practice books I think you have a very good chance of doing well on the actual MCAT.

I did all of the AAMC tests + all of TBR tests. My scores are listed below:

Practice Test Scores - AAMC (in the order they were taken...scores listed as PS/VR/BS)

.AAMC 3: 11/12/10 - 33
AAMC 4: 11/13/11 - 35
AAMC 5: 13/12/13 - 38
AAMC 7: 12/13/13 - 38
AAMC 11: 11/12/12 - 35
AAMC 8: 12/12/12 - 36
AAMC 9 - 12/13/14 - 39
AAMC 10: 12/12/15 - 39

Avg AAMC: 36.6

Practice Test Scores - TBR (PS/VR/BS)

.TBR 1: 12/13/11 - 36
TBR 2 - 12/12/10 - 34
TBR 3 - 11/11/13 - 35
TBR 4 - 12/11/10 - 33
TBR 5 - 12/9/12 - 33
TBR 6 - 11/12/13 - 36
TBR 7 - 11/12/13 - 36

Avg TBR: 34.7

Finance

Make studying for this test your life for at least 5-6 weeks. I would recommend tracking as much info as possible. For example, every day I tracked what I worked on, how many hours I spent on each section, what scores I was receiving etc. Once a week I would go back over the data to figure out where my weak points were and what I needed to focus on reviewing the following week. It also helped me ensure I was studying 8-10 hrs every day.

I studied full time (~8-10 hrs/day) for about 5 weeks. I also studied part time (2-3 hrs/day) for another 5-6 weeks prior to that. In the 5 weeks I was studying full time, I took a practice test about every other day and would alternate b/w AAMC tests & TBR tests, though I saved AAMC 9 & 10 for my final two tests. I probably should've saved 11 for last but I wanted to see what a calculation heavy exam would be like so I took it earlier.

SDN has been an unbelievable source of help for me in this process so I hope this is helpful to others. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions..

First time poster...finally feel like I have something to contribute to the forum.

test date: 6/16/2011...8AM

PS: 12
VR: 11
WS: N
Composite: 36N

2) The study method used for each section&#8232;&#8232;

PS was my weakest section, so I dedicated a month to go through BR's physics and chem books. I did one chapter a day plus a handful of practice passages. I also took break days as I felt were needed so wouldn't burn out. After finishing the BR books, I took a couple weeks to review bio and orgo using EK and mcat-review.org, respectively. I felt pretty confident about BS, so I didn't dedicate as much time as I did for PS.

I used EK 101 to prepare for VR and did essays on the practice CBTs to prepare for WS (but obviously didn't do me much good).

&#8232;&#8232;3) What materials you used for each section (Kaplan, TPR, Examkrackers, AAMC, etc)&#8232;&#8232;

Physics: BR (mcat-review.org for quick review)
Chem: BR (mcat-review.org for quick review)
Bio: EK (mcat-review.org for quick review)
Orgo: mcat-review.org
Verbal: EK 101

&#8232;4) Which practice tests did you use?&#8232;&#8232;

Tests in order taken and scores in PS/VR/BR(total) format
Kaplan diagnostic: 5/12/7(24) took it a year before I started studying
AAMC 4: 12/9/11(32)
AAMC 3: 12/-/12(-)
BR 1: 9/11/12(32)
BR 2: 11/10/13(34)
BR 3: 11/11/11(33)
BR 4: 12/9/10 (31) Panic!!!
AAMC 5: 13/11/13(37) Came back like a CHAMP!
AAMC 7: 11/11/13(35)
AAMC 8: 13/9/12(34)
AAMC 11: 13/11/12(36)
AAMC 10: 12/10/14(36)

11.7/10.2/12.1(34) AAMC+BR average with a range of 31-37

&#8232;&#8232;5) What was your undergraduate major?&#8232;&#8232;

Human Biology

PLEASE DO BERKELEY REVIEW FULL LENGTH TESTS! My AAMC average went from low 30s to above 35 after taking a series of BR FLs. I was very demoralized by BR's level of difficulty at the time but looking back, BR is probably a big reason for achieving 36 on June 16th. Also, I realized that I could have utilized my time better by dedicating more time towards practice tests instead of dedicating too much time on the content review. Majority of the crap I taught myself during the 2 months I was content reviewing was useless on test day and the skills I've obtained through practices tests were much more useful in helping me achieve my score. Honestly, I did not understand a third of the questions on the PS (6/16/2011) as the passages were some of the hardest and trickiest I have ever encountered. Probably on par with the hardest BR passages found in their books (prob harder). Thus, my content understanding was basically useless from the get-go and I had to resort to educated guessing. I clearly remember guessing on ~15 questions and feeling horrible afterwards to the extent that I contemplated voiding. however, I ended up getting above my average on PS. I did definitely benefit from using the dense BR review books for 2 months because PS was my weakest section, but if I were to do it all over again, I honestly believe EK PS books would have been enough. Also, mcat-review.org is a lifesaver. Probably the best studying tool after the practice CBTs.

Finally, don't get discouraged by your practice VR scores...mine went from 11 on a good day to 7 on a bad day...just remember to concentrate on what you are reading.

7) How long did you study for the MCAT?&#8232;&#8232;

62 study days + 25 break days = 87 total days
averaged ~4.8 hours a day (~5-6 hrs in the first couple months and ~3-4 hrs towards the end)...exactly 300 hours of studying/test taking according to the record I kept.

Good Luck and see you on the other side!

Last edited:
Did any of you guys who scored 32+ studied the day before?

I know many people advice not to study - but I still have my doubts.

The Gonzo MCAT Route, by Hastur the Unspeakable, age 27 1/4

1) Grow up in a family that encourages you to be a walking library. Be praised early by your parents for everything you do in connection with a standardized test. These skills will be totally useless in the job market, btw.

2) Lacking a lucrative job, take out some loans and get a humanities/arts degree. Repeat step 2 as needed.

3) Go to a foreign country to get a job with your arts degree(s). Re-evaluate life. Come back and do a post-bac in the sciences.

4) Take an intensive prep course, ~20 hours/week for several months.

5) Work out a very serious routine for practice tests including your breaks: plan for nourishment, hydration, glucose boosters, caffeine if you're a caffeine person, and medication schedules if necessary. Take the tests as if they are the real thing, with breaks and stuff-access controlled.

6) The weekend before the exam, go camping in the woods, preferably on the other side of the country. Get it all right the f*ck out of your system.

7) Study hard the last couple days before the exam. Do a practice test the last day before the exam. Make sure all your ID paperwork and such is packed. Get a good night's sleep.

8) Crank the tunes in your car! Execute snack routine! Show up and WIN!

For me, the snack routine was espresso (more compact than coffee), coconut water (hydration/electrolytes) and many, many yogurts + lara bars. I swear, I ascribe at least one or two points of my score to going camping the weekend before and having worked out my snack routine. It meant that I both cleared my head enough not to panic, and didn't feel "rushed" on the breaks because I knew exactly what I was doing (eat X! drink Y! Pee!), which went a long way toward keeping nervousness at bay.

Eating frequently is also good. Even if you don't think you have to - brain activity uses just about more glucose than anything else you could be doing. A bit of sugar, meted out incrementally, with some complex carbohydrate to back it up can do wonders.

----

Okay, enough with the goofiness: here is the usual rundown.

-----

12 PS / 12 VR / 13 BS
Writing Sample: R
Composite: 37R

I presently feel like stamping this number on my forehead and running around town in my skivvies. I don't know why exactly - I knew I'd get a high score from practice tests, but I thought I might drop a couple of points on the real thing, and 37 is my cutoff number for feeling truly hardcore. I R SRS CAT, I HAZ SRS MCAT. Booyah.

Administration: 6/16/11 2 PM.

2)The study method used for each section&#8232;&#8232;
I'm afraid not all of my study habits are terribly reproducible, but I'll give it a go.

PS: I was a workshop leader (student peer mentoring) in gen chem and physics all year. Basically - this had the same effect as retaking the classes; I hit the material all over again and on a deeper level. However, this didn't help with my ability to do math by hand; what did that was my prep course - this tiny company Altius which I highly recommend, which is only in a few cities right now. Learn to approximate and estimate, practice square roots and trigonometry on the fly. This stuff saved my butt.

VR: I got two arts & humanities degrees before trying to go back to school as a pre-med. So my main emphasis for study was: how does the MCAT do things? Not "what does this question mean literally" but "what does the MCAT want you to understand from this question?" And to that end, largely only the real passages helped. Examkrackers questions had all the wrong logic. :-(

When I ran out of MCAT exam material to practice, I wrote my own MCAT questions for some random essays. It's great practice in learning their logic.

BS: Due to weird scheduling of my post-bac I managed to take gen bio and A&P out of order and was taking the third term of gen bio -- the one that is the basic overview of A&P - AFTER taking A&P for two terms. This meant I hit the same material twice in short order.

The orgo on the MCAT << the orgo in the course sequence at my school: after my first couple tries at real MCAT material I walked into my prof's office and thanked him for making the quizzes so much harder - I could often finish those passages in 5 minutes due to the crunchiness of his teaching methods. Really, though, bio was more important in some ways.

If I was going to condense my advantages down to bullet points, I'd have to say:

* I studied the same thing twice in a row a lot, and often repeated lessons by teaching them to other people in groups - it helps because they'll ask you questions you're not expecting, and then you have to hit another side of a topic.
* Gen chem was indelibly burned into my brain by a summer bootcamp class + the Aleks online study program ($20/month, drills you through problems, great for math too!)
* The prep course gave me a bunch of handy skills for estimating my way through math problems (tricks with gravity, square roots and sines/cosines - I hear Examkrackers has some similar tricks) and that helped a ton.

3) Materials:
I played around with the Examkrackers stuff a bit, but mostly used the Altius test prep book, the AAMC practice exams, and my regular course textbooks + some "subject for dummies" books.

4) Which practice tests did you use?&#8232;&#8232; I took *all* of the AAMC practice exams available plus got some old material through my prep course, and made 36+ on each of them with a seemingly random breakdown dependent on the particular material and scaling. No one section score was less than 11.

I did all the writing portions whenever possible, because half the point of doing the practice tests is to get a feel for it - and if you skip them, you won't expect how tired you get when you reach BS.

I also reviewed practice exam material and did statistics on what types of questions I was most likely to miss.

5) What was your undergraduate major?&#8232;&#8232; Which one? :p Seriously, I'm just a college addict. If I listed them all I'd probably be identifiable under my real name, so PM me if you really need to know. I'm a post-bac science student, and I did a lot of writing/rhetoric.

6) Any other tips you may have for those of us who still have this test lurking over us? See the silly intro of my post for most of it. I really do think getting my snack routine sorted out, and spending the prior weekend letting go for a while, were massively helpful to reduce anxiety. I was INCREDIBLY zen on test day, better than I'd ever expected to be. When I walked out I was so proud of not losing my ****.

For those of you who HAVEN'T got a humanities degree, I want to give you a bit of what I have in a form you can use: Read a lot. Seriously, guys - pleasure reading. Pick up something you don't usually go after: political essays, art history, stuff that's outside the normal set of your interests. Pick a random piece of non-fiction from your college bookstore and spend an hour a day on it. It'll give you a break from the rest of your study time and it'll give you a little bit of that "savvy" quality that really helps with the verbals.

Remaking notecards is way the heck more useful than just re-reading them. I re-did mine three times: started with tiny flash cards (each a single equation or two, a fact to memorize) then consolidated to large flash cards and finally to colorful quarter-page cards. Uniball pens are the best.

7) How long did you study for the MCAT?&#8232;&#8232; I did it in a fairly haphazard way, starting in December. I took the prep course partly because they set me weekly deadlines, and every week from about January to May I did two 2-hour group lessons, a usually-2-hour student study group, a home lesson that was usually around 5 hours, a 1-hour tutor session, and a random number of hours of notecard review & verbal practice time.

I spent about 6 to 8 hours a week preparing for and delivering workshop lessons in chemistry and physics, and was also taking biology classes that at least partly counted as MCAT study.

So I'd estimate that between those things, probably I spent an average of 20 hours a week studying for roughly 5 months before the test.

I took breaks and did not study every single day. I studied the day before the test and, against advice, did a brief notecard review on the day of, but I'm not sure that that was good for anything except getting the jitters out of my fingers.

This is great and thorough information. I was wondering, if you were going to take the MCAT a second time, how long do you think should you wait and study before you take it again to get the biggest leap in your score?

This is great and thorough information. I was wondering, if you were going to take the MCAT a second time, how long do you think should you wait and study before you take it again to get the biggest leap in your score?

3 months of time is plenty to study for everything on the MCAT. Once you get up to 37ish, there's not much you can do to increase your score. Each question becomes a point on or off your final score.

1) PS=11 VR=11 BS=11 Composite=33S

2) For all sections: Kaplan Review Notes, lots and lots of questions, flashcards, diagramming.

3) Kaplan for all; Sorrel's Organic Chemistry for ochem reinforcement, EC books for some bio sections.

4) Kaplan FL's 1-12

5) Marine Science and Visual Arts (double)

6) A few tips that worked for me that may be more unique...

• Diagramming - I know this isn't the case for everyone, but I can’t sit down and read through a list of mechanisms that are all interconnected in the endocrine system and have it all make sense. However, making a drawing - no matter how rudimentary - that connects hormones with source organ, target organ, function, etc. helped immensely. I did this for a variety of topics. Often it was as basic as bubbles in different color ink with arrows connecting them. It really helped, and I found myself reaching back to these drawings in my mind during the actual test.
  • Practice like you’ll play - the MCAT is like a marathon and you should train for it in a similar fashion. When I took my full lengths, I attempted to simulate test day conditions as accurately as possible; I’d pack up a bag of snacks, go to University of Colorado’s Medical Campus’s library, and take the test on a public computer. This meant that the atmosphere was similar to test day (quiet, but with people moving around) on an unfamiliar computer. Furthermore I learned to conserve energy and eat/drink wisely during my breaks to stay strong through the fifth hour. Whenever possible, I’d take the test during a five hour stretch under these conditions - of course it’s not always easy to procure five hours, and in my opinion a full length taken under less than perfect conditions is better than no full length at all. That being said, I’d recommend making every effort to precisely simulate test day conditions.
  • MCAT Question A Day.com - really like this site because if you make an account you get access to their question archive, and these has to be several thousand discreet questions on there. I’d get the email every morning, and answer the day’s question plus a few extra to warm up my brain before diving into full on studying mode. Also great if you’ve got some downtime with your computer; can very quickly pound out a few dozen questions (with explanations!) that will help identify and reinforce weak areas.
  • Flashcards; gotta love em. Threw them in my pocket and took them everywhere with me for a month prior to the test, rotating through subjects. Whether volunteering at the hospital, in between classes, riding the bus, could always pull out a few and cram in some more knowledge.

7) Six months, averaging around 10-20 hours a week depending on other coursework - however I had not had many prereqs in a number of years (nontraditional applicant) and have never taken some of the upper level bio courses that can help with certain MCAT topics.

PS=11 VR=09 WS=O BS=13 Composite= 33O

PS&BS: Read the TPR comprehensive book at first, from which I got the gist of most topics.. I then used the Kaplan books I got from the course.
VR: Practice.. alot.. everyday.

Kaplan and TPR for the sciences.. EK 101 for VR (EXTREMELY HELPFUL!)

Kaplan FLs 1-3.
AAMC 3,4,8-11.

Neurobiology.

Stay calm! Don't ever doubt yourself, because that WILL keep you from getting a great score. Also, try to find time to enjoy yourself in the process. If you're not happy, neither is your brain.

5 months on and off.. I cracked down in the last two months, though, studying everyday for about 1-2 hours. It's not much, but I also did some practice passages / VR prep after. I never burnt out.

Last edited:
So you didn't read the books but you read the content review books? don't get it.

I'll just toss up a little note about how I studied:::

Kaplan Diagnostic: 24
Actual MCAT: 33

While I had copies of TPR, Berkeley Review and Kaplan's all-in-one books -- I didn't read any of them.

I ended up buying the on-demand Kaplan course.

However, with kaplan's on-demand course, I did not use any of their "lessons", "strategies", or "videos" that came with the course. I essentially just read the content review books and took the quizzes.

About 20 days before the real MCAT admin, I began taking one FL per day (I had about 18 of 'em - aamc and kaplan). Many people don't recommend doing this at the risk of burning out, but I was well tempered with such crappy schedules from just finishing up with my final exam prep a couple weeks prior to mcat prepping.

I would take my FL exams during the day and review mistakes at night.

Overall, while I essentially pissed away a large amount of money on materials that I didn't use at all... it turned out well - on the real thing I hit my practice aamc average score on the mark. I am happy.

PM me with any questions.

PS=14 VR=14 WS=R BS=15 Composite=43R

Practice test scores:
Kaplan diagnostic: 34
Practice tests (mix of Kaplan and AAMC): 36, 36, 39, 40, 42, 40, 42, 39, 40

PS+BS: Read through and extensively highlighted the new Kaplan subject textbooks, doing the practice quizzes for each chapter immediately after reading them. After making my way through all of the material, re-read individual chapters that I was having a hard time nailing down, taking detailed notes as I went. In the week before the test, re-read each Kaplan book straight through with no notetaking or further highlighting, redoing the practice quizzes after finishing the entire textbook to test my memory after taking in greater amounts of information.

VR: No studying other than full-lengths. I read a lot as a kid.

Kaplan science review books and practice quizzes, AAMC full-lengths.

Kaplan FLs 1-3.
AAMC 3-11.

Biology.

Do a lot of practice tests, get a feel for the format and individual issues that you have problems with. Know the why behind the what: if you understand what makes a concept work, especially in chemistry/physics, you don't need to remember the exact relevant formulae for 90% of the questions. Just as an example: explain to someone who doesn't have a background in chemistry (little brother, humanities major, etc.) why, in simple terms, a solute raises the boiling point of a liquid but lowers its freezing point, and you'll never mix up the two again.

4 months, all of which while balancing school and a varsity D-I sport in-season. Wrote the MCAT 3 days after coming home from school. Never spending more than 10-15 hours/week until the last week meant I never got burnt out, and I was able to really focus when I turned my attention to studying.

Last edited:
Kaplan offers these giant 1000 page books independently of any formal course (i.e. they prob sell them at barnes and noble). I possessed one of these kaplan giant books - I won it a couple years ago through SDN.

How did you win it through SDN?

Sure, practice scores are as follows:

And I should have clarified: I took a course with Kaplan, which gave me access to their diagnostic, the practice quizzes online and to all of the FLs. However, I got very little out of the classes themselves and ended up missing about half of them for intramural sports; they're aimed towards getting from a ~30 to a mid-30, and beyond that I found the textbooks/practice quizzes (which are also found in the back of each chapter in the texts) to be much more helpful.

Outstanding score :thumbup::thumbup:

Would you mind adding your practice test scores to your post? It would be very helpful.

Sure, practice scores are as follows:

And I should have clarified: I took a course with Kaplan, which gave me access to their diagnostic, the practice quizzes online and to all of the FLs. However, I got very little out of the classes themselves and ended up missing about half of them for intramural sports; they're aimed towards getting from a ~30 to a mid-30, and beyond that I found the textbooks/practice quizzes (which are also found in the back of each chapter in the texts) to be much more helpful.
Wow, your score is not of this Earth, congrats. :thumbup:

I'm taking the Kaplan class now, I read all the review notes and highlighted/took notes. I also made sure to do the end of chapter problems each time I read. Could I ask which of the online resources you used?

Other than the required assignments I haven't done much of the other online material. Now that my class is finished though, all I have to focus on are full length tests and review, so I was thinking of going back and doing some online materials.

Congrats again, that is awesome.

Okay here's a question....possibly the wrong forum for it but I'll try anyways.

For those of you who got accepted to med school and got a 30+ on the MCAT but had to study more than 3 months to do so....how did you do on the USMLE?

Most of the schools I'm applying to only give you 1-2 months off to study for part 1 of the USMLE...so I'm worried that if I've had to study for 6 months for the MCAT in order to do well, I wont be worth a shizza when it comes time to take the licensing exam.

Any thoughts?

Okay here's a question....possibly the wrong forum for it but I'll try anyways.

For those of you who got accepted to med school and got a 30+ on the MCAT but had to study more than 3 months to do so....how did you do on the USMLE?

Most of the schools I'm applying to only give you 1-2 months off to study for part 1 of the USMLE...so I'm worried that if I've had to study for 6 months for the MCAT in order to do well, I wont be worth a shizza when it comes time to take the licensing exam.

Any thoughts?

From what I've heard, you're actually studying for 2 years for the USMLE. Those last few months off to officially study for the USMLE are review and practice time.

Also, this is probably the wrong thread for your question. The USMLE Step 1 forum or Allopathic forum might be more appropriate... it's mostly pre-meds and MCAT takers here.

I STRONGLY RECOMMEND that before you take your MCAT, you read through this thread. My test is tomorrow and I just feel so much better :D

Thanks for the inspiration all you smartypants, I hope to be able to post in this thread in ~30 days :] hah

i strongly recommend that before you take your mcat, you read through this thread. My test is tomorrow and i just feel so much better :hungover:

thanks for the inspiration all you smartypants, i hope to be able to post in this thread in ~30 days :] hah

goodluck!!

I wish I had some great words of wisdom about all of this but I don't exactly. I will just try to provide as much information as I can

1) Your individual scores and composite score: 7/16/2011 (First time test-taker)

VR: 10
PS: 11
Writing: N

Composite: 34N

AAMC scores (In order taken) Composite/ PS/VR/BS

AAMC #8: 33 10/11/12
AAMC #10: 31 10/10/11
AAMC #4: 38 12/13/13
AAMC #3: 37 13/11/13
AAMC #7: 35 10/11/14
AAMC #9: 34 13/11/10
AAMC #5: 35 11/11/13
AAMC #11: 34 11/10/13

AAMC average: 34 (Talk about statistically robust:laugh: )

I just read the EK manuals and did the practice questions/mini exams that were included in the manuals.

Just used the EK lecture questions and exams included in the manuals.
Also used EK 101 Verbal passages.

Every AAMC test. I would definitely suggest this.

Molecular Bio. Took the MCAT after sophomore year and completing all Prereqs.

First off, stay well rested.
Make sure you have gone through all the content before you take an AAMC FL, they are valuable diagnostic tools.

I did not have a rigorous course of study for undergrad physics and took AP Chem in HS. That being said if your background is weak in a particular subject area, I would highly recommend supplementing your EK review (if you chose EK to begin with that is). It is truly designed for those who learned the material well the first time. I feel that I could have performed better in the PS section had I done this. I hear from many of my peers that berkley review is the way to go for the PS section. EK was definitely great for verbal and bio though.

Also for verbal, it can be tough on test day. I averaged a solid 11 on my AAMC tests, but only got a 10 on the real deal. I am happy with this, but feel if I practiced more I could have scored that on the actual test. That being said continue to practice even when you feel you have practiced enough.

Overall, I am happy with my score, but I think I could have performed better. The last 3 weeks of my prep I feel I did not put to use well (in terms of content review) and I probably would have scored better had I supplemented EK gen chem and physics. My advice: EK is excellent, but if you're not really strong in an area combine different prep books. Continue to push yourself to very end. I was content on taking the 34/35 that I was expecting, had I pushed myself further I may have scored in the 35/36 range.

One more thing, be as relaxed as you can when going to take the MCAT. I was not very stressed on test day and I believe this is what helped me focus. I kept comfort in the fact my practice test average was 34 and this allowed me to focus throughout the exam.

Study hard and practice, practice, practice and you will reach your MCAT Goals.

5/14-7/16 ~3 hours each day while doing research full time.

Last edited:

VR: 11 PS: 9 BS: 10 Writing: R Composite: 30R

AAMC average: 28

read concept and do problems

TPR and TBR

Every AAMC test.

Mechanical Engineering 2006 grad. Post-bacc and applying

Do not rush any section. Understand the overall concept. Memorization is too overstated on this test. Concepts and reading comprehension go a long way

6 months while taking classes

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.