The Official 3/23/13 MCAT Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Redpancreas

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Figured I'd start this one out. I'll be registering for the MCAT first thing tomorrow. Who else is taking it on this date? How do you all plan on studying over the school year?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm taking it in March too haha.
I'm taking a reduced course-load this semester and next.

I work 6 hours a week in lab right now, I have biochemistry, and two no work outside of class classes & volunteering 6 hours a week. I've started the first two chapters of everything except O.Chem and I've taken one physical science practice section. It's rough.

Next semester I'll have 9 hours a week in lab, two no work outside of class classes, and one 3 hour a week class & volunteering 8 hours a week.

Yay! What about everyone else?

In! I am starting SN2ed's schedule near the end of december. Unfortunately I will be in school but am taking a light load and will put it off if I don't have time to study. I usually have a lot of free time, even when I have a heavy courseload, so I will be getting up at 7 and doing a few hours and then doing a few hours in the evening. Hope it works

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm conflicted; I'm super anxious to start studying and psyched up for the whole deal, but I'm also intimidated by the fact that I'll only have a slightly lightened courseload (16 hours, one course will be relatively easy) and no reduction in EC commitments...

Oh well, positive thoughts lol

I'm conflicted; I'm super anxious to start studying and psyched up for the whole deal, but I'm also intimidated by the fact that I'll only have a slightly lightened courseload (16 hours, one course will be relatively easy) and no reduction in EC commitments...

Oh well, positive thoughts lol

Great! It doesn't seem like anyone doing what I'm doing but I'm trying to modify the Sn2 schedule to go over a 5 month span starting now. I'll try to get a schedule up for critiquing soon when I can. Feel free to post your own plans!

Great! It doesn't seem like anyone doing what I'm doing but I'm trying to modify the Sn2 schedule to go over a 5 month span starting now. I'll try to get a schedule up for critiquing soon when I can. Feel free to post your own plans!

i am by no means an expert, and i am taking it in May. but i'll share my schedule for you guys to critique/consider.

In two days: second MCAT diagnostic (from Barron's)

By the end of November: finish in depth content review for all subjects, using Kaplan review books, Barron content review, MCAT review.org, textbooks, (possibly Nova physics), and random internet/youtube/wikipedia sources.

By the end of 2012 (if we are still alive after 12/21): finish all EK 1001 questions. The goal before 2013 is to absolutely name my content knowledge. Also, I will take a Barron's full length at the end of November and at the end of December; one after thorough content review and one after EK 1001 problems.

From january 2013 to my test in May, i will most likely enroll in a prep course so i can have access to both AAMC full lengths (which i know i can buy separately) AND review company full lengths. My goal during these 4+ months is to do every single AAMC and prep company full lengths so that i'll be ready.

And throughout these months...i'll be doing the EK 101 verbal passages and as many others as i can find. i am also reading 45 minutes of the economist on a daily basis.

MCAT will either save or break my application...and with an institutional action on my record...there's no room for errors.

So, score goals anyone?

VR: 14 - 15 (I was a humanities major, so hopefully, this will pay off dividends.)
BS: 13+
PS: 12 (Undoubtedly my weakest subject at the moment, but confidence is the key.)

I'm planning to take the test in Early/Mid April, but I'll definitely be keeping tabs on this thread.

I'm in.

Not much time to study because of work so I'm starting early. Two GS exams done so far. I guess from my results I'm hoping for 35+, assuming I can bring up my verbal... :-/

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm officially registered! It took me so long to get on the site because it was always on hold but today it looks like things eased up. Thanks for sharing your schedule with me. I thinking I'm going to have content down by the end of this January and then I will have access to the BR full lengths soon after. Somewhere mid January, I'll take AAMC 8 because that's the only one I'll have left. My goal is to break 30 on that AAMC and then I will spend the rest of my time trying to get an even better score.

i am by no means an expert, and i am taking it in May. but i'll share my schedule for you guys to critique/consider.

In two days: second MCAT diagnostic (from Barron's)

By the end of November: finish in depth content review for all subjects, using Kaplan review books, Barron content review, MCAT review.org, textbooks, (possibly Nova physics), and random internet/youtube/wikipedia sources.

By the end of 2012 (if we are still alive after 12/21): finish all EK 1001 questions. The goal before 2013 is to absolutely name my content knowledge. Also, I will take a Barron's full length at the end of November and at the end of December; one after thorough content review and one after EK 1001 problems.

From january 2013 to my test in May, i will most likely enroll in a prep course so i can have access to both AAMC full lengths (which i know i can buy separately) AND review company full lengths. My goal during these 4+ months is to do every single AAMC and prep company full lengths so that i'll be ready.

And throughout these months...i'll be doing the EK 101 verbal passages and as many others as i can find. i am also reading 45 minutes of the economist on a daily basis.

MCAT will either save or break my application...and with an institutional action on my record...there's no room for errors.

I'm not an expert but I haven't heard many good things about Barron's? Did they change some of their material?

Yeah, I'll probably be retaking it at this time.
Got a 31 the first time thanks to a horrible verbal. Redoing TPRH Wkbk Verbal/ EK101 and starting TBR Verbal + TPRH ICC Verbal.

I figure two a day up till february should cover them all and hopefully make it like a fun hobby.

Also, audio osmosis should refresh me on the sciences so I'll be blastin that on my ipod at every chance i get. Might even play it while i sleep LOL.

Anyway, its a pleasure to meet you all!

finish all EK 1001 questions.
WOW. You, my friend, are a BAUWS if you can complete them all. Thats over 4000 questions! No doubt you'll feel right at home with the sciences, content wise anyways.
But be careful, because that could easily take up ALL your time.

Registered!

This will be my 2nd MCAT (first score from 2010 will be expiring before I matriculate in 2014)

Hoping to improve on my old score (13/11/10)

Need to get 11+ in Biological Sciences :)

Good luck all :luck:

I will be taking it in March. I am shooting (God willing) PS:13+ V: 11+ BS: 12+ and writing section S+ (juuuuust kidding) :)

Goal : 43 :D

Really Happy with 35

Satisfied with 32

OK with a balanced 30

I took the verbal section of AAMC 3 a couple months ago (really dumb of me to waste it) and got a 13 so I have a lot of hope to at least score high in one section.

MCAT or die for me. This is go time. Prayers and all... even though I'm not a religious person....This date is my line in the sand. I am not a risk taker and I've chickened out a couple times now.... this is it....

Reactions: 1 user
So what is everyone's study plans? SN2'd, prep courses, ect.

I'm doing a TPR online course, as well as doing my own version of SN2'ds schedule with TPRH material and spread out over 5 months due to me taking classes next semester.....so we'll see how it works out. Good luck to everyone, it's going to be a bear but we can do this!

Last edited:
Well as for me, I'm listening to audio osmosis then hitting ek1001 hard to nail down the concepts. All the while doing 2 verbal passages a day under 14mins.

Should be done with audio osmosis in a month. From then on, its TBR/TPRH practice passages straight till the new year. After that, I'll be doing practice tests up until March. Anyone doing something similar?

Good thing about being a retaker, content review is SO much easier.

I had registered for this exam also. Officially will start studying today.

Plan-
Review Berkeley Review for chemistry, organic chemistry and Biology. Then 1001 Q from EK. Then Passages from TPRHL and TBR.
Physics- Nova Physics for review and then 1001 Q from EK, then TBR and TPRHL for passages.
Verbal- BR Verbal Passages, then EK verbal 1 month before exam. Also get a lot of verbal practice from Full Length Exams. Also will be reading New Yorker and The Economist on the Side.

1 month dedicated to just full length exams and review of full length exams. Goal is to do at least 10, including all AAMC exams.

Goal-

Physical Science = 15
Biological Science = 13+
Verbal = 12+

My GPA IS CRAP. Cumulative = 3.38. Science = 3.1. All or nothing baby, go hard or go home.

Last edited:
My GPA is also low, 3.6 overall and 3.3 science when i apply

do you think that an extremely high MCAT can effectively make up for a lowish GPA? obviously I can't score a 40, but i am wondering if a 35-36 would be enough for someone in my position?

thanks!

I had registered for this exam also. Officially will start studying today.

Plan-
Review Berkeley Review for chemistry, organic chemistry and Biology. Then 1001 Q from EK. Then Passages from TPRHL and TBR.
Physics- Nova Physics for review and then 1001 Q from EK, then TBR and TPRHL for passages.
Verbal- BR Verbal Passages, then EK verbal 1 month before exam. Also get a lot of verbal practice from Full Length Exams. Also will be reading New Yorker and The Economist on the Side.

1 month dedicated to just full length exams and review of full length exams. Goal is to do at least 10, including all AAMC exams.

Goal-

Physical Science = 15
Biological Science = 13+
Verbal = 12+

My GPA IS CRAP. Cumulative = 3.38. Science = 3.1. All or nothing baby, go hard or go home.

Looking to study with someone in NYC or Brooklyn, mostly to keep up motivation and bounce off questions. Let me know if you're interested!

Registered today for 3/23. Second time for MCAT. 24 on first go round (8/8/8) Starting off with content review with course saver MCAT videos. I like them a lot. Anyone looking for study partner in Houston, Tx let me know. :)

Hi everyone, this will be my second attempt at the MCAT! Im using the BR for everthing except verbal which I have all EK 1001 and 101 verbal book and TPRH Verbal book. Studying is going great I have started with physics following the S2ned schedule which is going great. However the BR chapters take awhile for me to read which is good because I actually understand everything this time!😊 I am hoping for a 30++++ because my last MCAT was low considering since I didnt study as much! This time around I am doing much better with balancing MCAT studying time. So hopefully it pays off. Good luck to you all taking this beast of a exam!

Hey Everyone, I am signed up for the march 23rd mcat! I really wanted the april 4th one, but EVERY SINGLE SITE (up to a 6 hr. drive from me) was full only 2 days after opening the dates! Crazy!
I plan to do the 4 month SN2ed plan. 4 months is only one month away, so hopefully I will finish my audio osmosis before i get to the 4 month plan.

I changed to pre-med not that long ago, I was wondering what has everyone done for "diagnostic" tests? Should I do a diagnostic test before I do any studying at all to see where I stand. Thanks to all of you who have the answers!

I'm pretty much decided on that March 23rd date. Do you guys know how far in advance the spots start filling up? I'm not used to planning stuff that much in advance, so its just a little weird for me. I mean if they generally stay open up until 2 months before the test I'd rather wait till then. Not 100% sure I'll be ready for the March 23rd test and don't wanna have to reschedule.

But anyways, I took a first diagnostic test last week with no studying and got a dismal 21 (6/6/9). I still have my goal set for a 35, but I realize I'm a looong way off. As far as my study plan goes, I'm going with Chad's videos and BR for physics and gen chem. Then EK for bio, ochem, & Verbal passages. I will try to get all the content review done by the end of December, then take another practice test to see where I'm at. I'm thinking about also enrolling in a TPR course starting in January so I get the extra practice material and exams, but not sure yet. But, does anyone have inspiring stories of really low diagnostics turning into 30s on the real thing? I'm really gonna try to go all in with this MCAT studying, it is THE equalizer.

Hey Everyone, I am signed up for the march 23rd mcat! I really wanted the april 4th one, but EVERY SINGLE SITE (up to a 6 hr. drive from me) was full only 2 days after opening the dates! Crazy!
I plan to do the 4 month SN2ed plan. 4 months is only one month away, so hopefully I will finish my audio osmosis before i get to the 4 month plan.

I changed to pre-med not that long ago, I was wondering what has everyone done for "diagnostic" tests? Should I do a diagnostic test before I do any studying at all to see where I stand. Thanks to all of you who have the answers!

Check the "Breaking Down the MCAT" sticky thread for info on "diagnostic" tests.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile

Also registered for 3/23 MCAT! I plan to begin studying after this semester, so mid-December. I have all the EK and a lot of Kaplan materials that a friend gave me. I will also be purchasing some AAMC exams.

I'm a little nervous that EK and Kaplan might not prepare me to the degree I want to be prepared. I've heard from some to use what you have and study the crap out of it, but I've heard from others that the only way to get a 35+ score is to use TBR or TPR.

How do you all feel?

I'm thinking about taking a winter Princeton review course....then study on my own after that. I need a plan but I was thinking about doing the Sn2ed plan...sadly I still need to take physics II and OCHEM II Both with labs....:/ what do you all think about that? Opinions?!

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using SDN Mobile

Already halfway done with content review - took just one week thanks to audio osmosis!
Of course, I was only able to follow the topics so easily because of my vigorous prep the first time around.
Should be good in another week, then hittin up EK1001 Series and continuing verbal.

Next will be TPRH/TBR passages in December/January. Then practice exams up till March.

Already halfway done with content review - took just one week thanks to audio osmosis!
Of course, I was only able to follow the topics so easily because of my vigorous prep the first time around.
Should be good in another week, then hittin up EK1001 Series and continuing verbal.

Next will be TPRH/TBR passages in December/January. Then practice exams up till March.

That's awesome, halfway through content review in a week. Are you concerned at all about forgetting a lot of the details by the March test date? Because that's one thing I'm concerned about after reading some of the posts here about not tryna do any content review more than 3-4 months before the exam. I don't see too much truth in that because as long as you're ramping up the hours in the final month or two before the test, then how can the early studying hurt.

That's awesome, halfway through content review in a week. Are you concerned at all about forgetting a lot of the details by the March test date? Because that's one thing I'm concerned about after reading some of the posts here about not tryna do any content review more than 3-4 months before the exam. I don't see too much truth in that because as long as you're ramping up the hours in the final month or two before the test, then how can the early studying hurt.

Yeah, there is some wisdom behind that advice. If you do your content review WAY befoore your test, you're bound to forget some stuff around your actual test period...IF you just stop reviewing that is.

I plan on continually reviewing all the material even after I'm done. It keeps things fresh, and you're certain to pick up on details you missed the first time around not to mention you feel really comfortable with the topics if youve seen them so many times/for so long.

time is usually better spent on practice passages than more review but, in this case, since there is still so much time till march, and the content review takes no more than 2 weeks to go through each time, it seems wise to include that continuous review into a study plan.

Hi everyone,

I just registered for a spot on the exam today! Very excited to get started on studying! ^_^

Hey everyone!

Just registered today!

Goals:
Would be ok to get VS 10, BS 10, PS 10
Would be happy to get VS 12, BS 12, PS 12
Would be elated to get a balanced 40+

Study plans:
I actually began studying slowly back in August after taking the AAMC FL3 to figure where I stood at that point (but I was warned that this test was easier than the actual exam)
Content review - mainly Berkeley Review, supplemented with Princeton Review Hyperlearning (and ExamKrackers for days I really just can't be bothered with all the details), I also tried the Audio Osmosis and just found myself not paying attention to it as I tried to multitask
Practice problems - EK 1001 for topics I struggle with, Princeton Review/Berkeley Review problem sets, Kaplan practice sections, and Kaplan/AAMC full lengths
I should be set to start practice exams by mid-December while continuing with a second round of content review. I'm taking my sweet time to get through all of this material! :)

Other obligations:
Masters thesis research - 40+ hours per week (hence, taking my time)
Volunteering/extra-curriculars - ~10 hours per week

Good luck everyone!

I just registered for March 23rd. This will be my first round at this MCAT gig.

Goals:
VR 10-12
BS 13-15
PS 11-14

For the Bio and Gen Chem stuff I'm pretty confident. I tutor Gen Chem (on a regular basis) and sometimes Biology (I'm majoring in Cellular Biology and I am in love with the subject). Organic I'm decent, but Physics will be the fun guy!

I start studying after I finish this semester in December. I'm using the TBR for chem, physics, and organic; EK for biology with TBR as a supplement. As for the VR I'm using the EK 1001 book. I'll try to find another good VR book. Hopefully I can get all my review December - mid to end Jan. Then practice tests on the weekends along with miscellaneous review after school starts!

Good Luck to all! :thumbup:

Hey guys,

I am currently scheduled for the Jan 24th mcat in southern CA and due to some unfortunate circumstances I am going to have to reschedule for March 23rd.

If anyone here originally wanted and STILL wants to take the test in Jan in CA please pm me.

Thanks! :)

Hey everyone!

I am officially signed up for the 3/23 date as well! I am going to be using the Sn2ed study plan to power through and hopefully score in the 30's! This is the second time I'm taking the exam, the first time I scored about a 22 with a rush study session of online Kaplan course that did not help! Look forward to keeping in touch with you all.

Hey everyone!

I am officially signed up for the 3/23 date as well! I am going to be using the Sn2ed study plan to power through and hopefully score in the 30's! This is the second time I'm taking the exam, the first time I scored about a 22 with a rush study session of online Kaplan course that did not help! Look forward to keeping in touch with you all.

similar story. i got a 23 with Princeton Review and did not take it seriously. Following Sn2ed's study schedule and hopefully the hard work pays off this time around.

Hey so how do the TBR passage scores correlate with a FL practice test. Like I find that I am getting 75-85% of the TBR questions right which they say corresponds to a 10-12 scaled score. But I mean, this is right after reviewing the material and the passages are all testing the same thing. I imagine that taking these TBR passages would be much easier than taking a FL because in a FL, you don't know what topics they'll throw at you. Way easier doing 7 passages in a row on one thing than doing 7 passages on 7 different topics.

So basically, what's a good score on those TBR practice passages? For those that have taken the real thing or at least full practice tests, how did your scores correlate with the practice passages from TBR or even EK in class exams?

Hey all. Just registered for the 3/23 MCAT. Hoping and praying that all goes well. I'm gonna do most of my studying over Christmas break. It's been no days off for me because I'm coming off of an 18 hour semester!! It will all pay off in the end though!!!

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using SDN Mobile