Prostate Cryoablation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AlexanderJ

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Steph, or anyone else, what do you think of the prospect of prostate cryoblation for prostate cancer vs. radioactive seeds or external beam XRT? I just had a patient during my ER rotation during my TY year that is having some urinary retention after a prostate cryoablation procedure. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Cryoablation has more side effects than brachy or external beam. It is an experimental procedure reserved for those who fail brachy.

Hi,

I've seen a hospital where cryosurgery used quite often as primary therapy for early stage CaP in poor surgical candidates (yes, in lieu of seeds or external beam). It's been around for awhile, but before urethral warming catheters and gas driven cryoprobes, the complication rates were too high and so it was used mainly for salvage. Some urologists (even in private practice) are gaining confidence with it, and it looks alot like PSI with a brachytherapy plate, TRUS guidance, and needles in the perineum. I looked at the literature once for a presentation and some authors claim to have found something as good as radiotherapy. Five-year biochemical recurrence rates are similar. I agree with Niraj, though, complication rates still seem higher and there is a close to 100% chance of impotence. Of course there's not a whole lot of long term data yet.

Urinary retention is a big complication b/c of edema and obstruction by sloughed necrotic urethra (ouch!). Long term perineal pain and edema is possible too. They use thermometer probes to monitor how cold the rectum is getting so they get fewer bowel/rectal symptoms than PSI or external beam.

There's controversy but, assuming the longer-term data is favorable, it may become more widely accepted, especially for patients who already have ED. If you want the references I found, send a message to me and I'd be happy to pass them along. There's even one about EBRT as salvage for failure post-cryo.

Members don't see this ad :)
There's even one about EBRT as salvage for failure post-cryo.

Anyone have any experience treating patients with previous cryo for salvage? Basically, patient has a rising PSA after cryo (Just under 10), and the urologist did met w/u and a pelvic MRI which shows a recurrence at the R SV.

A few small series suggest it's safe feasible and effective but only one I can find that uses doses >70 Gy.

I'm forgetting the psa trajectory after cryo. Does it not go down close to zero? What was this chap's nadir? If it went down low, and then popped to 10, ya think it might be out of the barn and ADT? Or, does it not go down really and this is just somewhat higher than after treatment?

Data is very unremarkable. I wonder why the continued push for non salvage situations. Seems like it just leads to problems like this.

I'm forgetting the psa trajectory after cryo. Does it not go down close to zero? What was this chap's nadir? If it went down low, and then popped to 10, ya think it might be out of the barn and ADT? Or, does it not go down really and this is just somewhat higher than after treatment?

Had a chance to review the chart finally. Pt had bilateral G3+4=7 disease with an initial PSA of 13. Had cryo last year and 2 mos following that, PSA went down to 1.9. Apparently since then, there's been multiple rises to the recent value of 10.4. It's not clear from the GU note, but basically he was started on Lupron for the initial rise after 1.9 Now the urologist gets an MRI pelvis which shows R SV involvement without LN involvement. So essentially he has castrate-resistant disease and the uro thinks this is related to the SV that wasn't adequately addressed with cryo.

If I were to get a bone scan and that was negative, would it still be ridiculous to offer this guy local salvage therapy? Obviously with the theoretical increase in morbidity for EBRT after cryo, I want to be damned sure I am dealing with local rather than systemic disease. The fact that this guy has a PSA rising on lupron would seem to put that in doubt, correct?

Data is very unremarkable. I wonder why the continued push for non salvage situations. Seems like it just leads to problems like this.

The data is very unremarkable, particularly in intermediate- and high-risk disease.

Unfortunately, it seems like the guys who would potentially pursue a urorads model but can't would rather just cryo everything they come across. Ridiculous, until you realize that some of them even fly people out to the bahamas and Mexico for HIFU.

If I were to get a bone scan and that was negative, would it still be ridiculous to offer this guy local salvage therapy?

I probably would not offer him local treatment. I base that off of extrapolation of the post-prostatectomy salvage radiation experience.

http://jco.ascopubs.org/content/25/15/2035.long
F1.medium.gif

Fig 1. (A) Kaplan-Meier estimate of the overall progression-free probability after salvage radiotherapy. (B) Progression-free probability after salvage radiotherapy stratified by preradiotherapy prostate-specific antigen 0.50 or less (blue), 0.51 to 1.00 (yellow), 1.01 to 1.50 (gray), and more than 1.50 ng/mL (red).

I probably would have done local therapy when they started Lupron post-cryo... i.e. If the post-cryo PSA was trending up, time to start XRT +/- ADT. Too late now.

Agreed. We do salvage beam and/or brachy in post-cryo, and those patients do seem to have more issues. Why go with a relatively untested modality as your first line when there are several well established treatments available?

Last edited:
I probably would not offer him local treatment. I base that off of extrapolation of the post-prostatectomy salvage radiation experience.

I probably would have done local therapy when they started Lupron post-cryo... i.e. If the post-cryo PSA was trending up, time to start XRT +/- ADT. Too late now.

Didn't think about extrapolating to post-prostatectomy salvage RT data, but good point. It's a lost cause when a PSA is >2 typically hence why the RTOG trial uses it as a cutoff for enrollment. Good analogy.

Why go with a relatively untested modality as your first line when there are several well established treatments available?

Unfortunately, it seems like the guys who would potentially pursue a urorads model but can't would rather just cryo everything they come across. Ridiculous, until you realize that some of them even fly people out to the bahamas and Mexico for HIFU.

Cryo makes a GU more $$$$ than EBRT if they don't have ownership in a linac.