Prostate Single Fraction Treatment Discussion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
CONCLUSIONS
In this evaluation of BC and PC RT episodes from 2015-2019, we found that shorter-course RT resulted in lower costs vs. longer-course RT. SCRT was also more common in hospital-affiliated sites. Future research focusing on potential payment incentives encouraging SCRT when clinically appropriate and applicable in the two most common cancers treated with RT will be valuable as the field continues to prospectively evaluate cost-effective hypofractionation in other disease sites.
Guessing they don't post the actual costs....

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
And protons were excluded. Simul's excoriating this paper on Twitter.
One of the authors also doesn’t seem to understand the multiplier used for PPS exempt rates. What a disaster of a paper.

Episode will be posted on this tonight - @NotMattSpraker

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Coming soon to a Red Journal near you:

BRIEF REPORT|ARTICLES IN PRESS

Trends in Utilization and Medicare Spending on Short-Course Radiotherapy for Breast and Prostate Cancer: An Episode-Based Analysis from 2015-2019

Published December 07, 2023

PURPOSE
Evidence supports the value of shorter, similarly efficacious, and potentially more cost-effective hypofractionated radiotherapy (RT) regimens in many clinical scenarios for breast cancer (BC) and prostate cancer (PC). However, practice patterns vary considerably. We used the most recent Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services data to assess trends in RT cost and practice patterns among episodes of BC and PC.

METHODS AND MATERIALS
We performed a retrospective cohort analysis of all external beam episodes RT (EBRT) for BC and PC from 2015-2019 to assess predictors of short-course RT (SCRT) utilization and calculate spending differences. Multivariable logistic regression defined adjusted odds ratios of receipt of SCRT over longer-course RT (LCRT) by treatment modality, age, year of diagnosis, type of practice, as well as the interaction between year and treatment setting. Medicare spending was evaluated using multivariable linear regression controlling for duration of RT regimen (SCRT vs LCRT) in addition to the covariables above.

RESULTS
Of 143,729 BC episodes and 114,214 PC episodes, 80,106 (55.73%) and 25,955 (22.72%) were SCRT regimens, respectively. Median total spending for SCRT regimens among BC episodes was $9,418 (IQR, $7,966-$10,982) vs. $13,601 (IQR, $11,814-$15,499) for LCRT. Among PC episodes, median total spending was $6,924 (IQR, $4,509-$12,905) for SBRT, $18,768 (IQR, $15,421-$20,740) for moderate hypofractionation, and $27,319 (IQR, $25,446-$29,421) for LCRT. On logistic regression, receipt of SCRT was associated with older age among both BC and PC episodes, as well as treatment at hospital-affiliated over freestanding sites (p<0.001 for all).

CONCLUSIONS
In this evaluation of BC and PC RT episodes from 2015-2019, we found that shorter-course RT resulted in lower costs vs. longer-course RT. SCRT was also more common in hospital-affiliated sites. Future research focusing on potential payment incentives encouraging SCRT when clinically appropriate and applicable in the two most common cancers treated with RT will be valuable as the field continues to prospectively evaluate cost-effective hypofractionation in other disease sites.
Fortunately, I don’t think anyone takes what is published in the red journal too seriously anymore.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
The senior author is from MSKCC, and they use medicare rates to analyze costs in that paper.

MSKCC is receiving far more than medicare rates for their short courses of RT. The freestanding sites are much more likely to be receiving medicare rates or close to it. Also, MSKCC is PPS-exempt which may also have other ramifications for increasing reimbursement.

Therefore the whole premise of cost reduction by doing short courses at big academic centers is false when viewed under the lens that:
1. The academic centers get paid more for short courses
2. Short courses are of benefit to academic centers because patients coming from far away aren't going to stay for long courses
3. Forcing short courses on poor payer mixes at freestanding centers will bankrupt them (also benefiting academic enters)

Reactions: 6 users
I deleted all my tweets on this, because I realized it doesn't matter. These people have an agenda. Hubbard is on this paper. ROCR is mentioned in discussion/conclusion. This is a white paper for ROCR and to **** over freestanding. I just come off as angry/unhinged.

This paper has egregious errors, is poorly done and I cannot believe it was not only accepted, but is being promoted.

Not one of them would respond to any of the errors. They cannot conceive Simul would be able to pick apart a trash paper, because they are Gods and I am a mere mortal.

I am so embarrassed that this is what goes for scholarship. If this was submitted to an economics or business journal, it would have been desk-rejected. It is junior-high level work at best.

Let it all burn to the ground. We are future Sloan/MDACC employees. Just get that KY ready and bend over.

• Sad
  • Angry
Reactions: 10 users
I deleted all my tweets on this, because I realized it doesn't matter. These people have an agenda. Hubbard is on this paper. ROCR is mentioned in discussion/conclusion. This is a white paper for ROCR and to **** over freestanding. I just come off as angry/unhinged.

This paper has egregious errors, is poorly done and I cannot believe it was not only accepted, but is being promoted.

Not one of them would respond to any of the errors. They cannot conceive Simul would be able to pick apart a trash paper, because they are Gods and I am a mere mortal.

I am so embarrassed that this is what goes for scholarship. If this was submitted to an economics or business journal, it would have been desk-rejected. It is junior-high level work at best.

Let it all burn to the ground. We are future Sloan/MDACC employees. Just get that KY ready and bend over.

Please don't give up

Reactions: 4 users
Please don't give up
We need you to push back against the mainstream academic narrative because they control all traditional information flows.

Reactions: 1 users
It's not giving up. It's just time to find another route. They will accept shoddy scholarship to make a policy point.

Happy to send you our unpublished episode on it. decided against putting it out in the world.

That is too bad, why not publish the episode? like you said, time to find another route, this podcast is your route.

@RealSimulD

Simul, for what it's worth my ASTRO membership is up for renewal. Based on your advocacy, I'm going to tell them to stuff it. ASTRO has long been antagonsitic to non-academic and non-mega health systems but recent evidence has shown that the Red Journal has turned into a mechanism for social advoacy & repoistory for (mostly) useless science. The fact that all serious RO research is presented at ASCO is probably the main manifestation of this.

Fight on!!!

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The fact that all serious RO research is presented at ASCO is probably the main manifestation of this.
ASCO is boring, come to ESMO! 😝

Reactions: 2 users
It's embarrassing that these people think it's good. Or proud of getting something accepted to the Red Journal. Other than a few sections (radbio, GI, physics), I just don't get how the editorial staff and chief feel that it's high quality. I'm mesmerized by what gets through. And, obviously harped about this - I know others agree - but then the same people cheer it on. It's so interesting how people talk to me to my face or on phone about how they feel about the state of affairs and then publicly say it's amazing.

For a medical student to have pride in work that frankly isn't good - it's not fair to them. At some point, someone is going to let them know that all of this was useless and not high level scholarship. It's the "everyone gets a trophy" mentality. If all the social justice/environment/bad econ work gets through b/c the reviewers don't have the sklil set / experience to properly critique it, none of it has meaning or value.

Reactions: 5 users
It's embarrassing that these people think it's good. Or proud of getting something accepted to the Red Journal. Other than a few sections (radbio, GI, physics), I just don't get how the editorial staff and chief feel that it's high quality. I'm mesmerized by what gets through. And, obviously harped about this - I know others agree - but then the same people cheer it on. It's so interesting how people talk to me to my face or on phone about how they feel about the state of affairs and then publicly say it's amazing.

For a medical student to have pride in work that frankly isn't good - it's not fair to them. At some point, someone is going to let them know that all of this was useless and not high level scholarship. It's the "everyone gets a trophy" mentality. If all the social justice/environment/bad econ work gets through b/c the reviewers don't have the sklil set / experience to properly critique it, none of it has meaning or value.

The reviewers likely have “experience” in these types of papers…meaning they’re from huge academic centers where these findings support their mission.

They know the issues with the paper…they just don’t care.

I'll say that I wish you hadn't. You have a platform to criticize this and a pretty captive audience. If not on Twitter, then on SDN. You, along with the Becktas and Storeys and Scarborough's of the world need to continue calling this out for what it is.

But, forget the authors. The conclusions do make sense - more freestanding places do longer fractionation schemes (> 30fx for prostate, > 20fx for breast) than hospital affiliated - including but not limited to PPS-exempt centers. And, SCRT at all centers will be cheaper than LCRT at all centers.

BUT, there is no controlling for cost of hospital affiliated. Lots of hospitals getting paid higher rates than freestanding on a per fraction basis. Literally the definition of HOPPS. Ignored.

I don't see anyone cheering this on though on SoMe... just people mostly being negative and PPS-exempt attendings being mostly milquetoast in their support of it.

• Love
The reviewers likely have “experience” in these types of papers…meaning they’re from huge academic centers where these findings support their mission.

They know the issues with the paper…they just don’t care.

As we are all seeing now across multiple domains, the search for Truth is no longer the mission of academia.

• Love
Is there anything we can do to fight the ROCR? It is disgusting that Astro leadership is pushing this self-serving piece of legislation. This is a negative externality at its finest - akin to me asking everyone else to pay my bills while I sit back and sip good scotch (that you also pay for).

Here’s a novel idea: how about you ROCRers learn to compete with other centers by your own efforts and merits, not by rigging the system through gas-lighting the public and politicians.

I'll say that I wish you hadn't. You have a platform to criticize this and a pretty captive audience. If not on Twitter, then on SDN. You, along with the Becktas and Storeys and Scarborough's of the world need to continue calling this out for what it is.

But, forget the authors. The conclusions do make sense - more freestanding places do longer fractionation schemes (> 30fx for prostate, > 20fx for breast) than hospital affiliated - including but not limited to PPS-exempt centers. And, SCRT at all centers will be cheaper than LCRT at all centers.

BUT, there is no controlling for cost of hospital affiliated. Lots of hospitals getting paid higher rates than freestanding on a per fraction basis. Literally the definition of HOPPS. Ignored.

I don't see anyone cheering this on though on SoMe... just people mostly being negative and PPS-exempt attendings being mostly milquetoast in their support of it.
For prostate protons, all the requests come from academic centers and they ask for 44 fx.

Community docs more likely to do LDR - the cheapest form of RT.

They exclude the most expensive / longest course (majority done at HOP) and the least expensive (majority done in community). It's actively stacking the deck.

The numbers are all jacked up.

Look at the percentages of patients getting short course breast / prostate at hospitals/freestanding. They cut and paste the exact same numbers.

They do not mention prior authorization even once. This is the driver, I have internal data that shows this.

The people with their names on this paper didn't even TRY to think about what they were saying. ASTRO wanted a message, so they wrote it.

Reactions: 6 users
At some point, someone is going to let them know that all of this was useless and not high level scholarship. It's the "everyone gets a trophy" mentality.
Not sure about this.

The overwhelming majority of well intended research appears mostly useless. Our retrospective reviews and database studies are close to useless. Most basic science research is of marginal value to those outside of the esoteric culture of the researchers. Most exciting research is not reproducible.

To me, the issue with much DEI and medical economics research is that there are an infinite number of analyses to be performed for problems that sometimes have relatively simple solutions.

If you're worried about improving the value of radonc (already relatively cheap AF aside from certain high dollar ventures) and want to reduce excess fractions, go ahead with your case based payment model, just don't provide exceptions. It's simple.

If you want to get rid of health care disparities across class...well that's complicated, but the first thing you can do is give away health care to those who can't afford it.

I don't think the notable personalities in our field are really interested in the simple solutions...why? Because it means sacrifice.

the search for Truth is no longer the mission of academia

The search for truth is tough, and truth as it relates to human behavior can be almost too harsh to bear. Large medical school/academic hospitals are more corporatist than ever. This is what the problem is IMO regarding medical academics, the corporate influence in academia, not any nefarious academic narrative. Regarding academics outside of medicine? Not really applicable to us.

Is anyone publishing "An analysis of savings expected with elimination of the PPS exempt system of cancer centers" or "A comparative analysis of ROCR with and without proton exemption in terms of total cost of care"?

Those would be brave papers.

Not sure about this.

The overwhelming majority of well intended research appears mostly useless. Our retrospective reviews and database studies are close to useless. Most basic science research is of marginal value to those outside of the esoteric culture of the researchers. Most exciting research is not reproducible.

To me, the issue with much DEI and medical economics research is that there are an infinite number of analyses to be performed for problems that sometimes have relatively simple solutions.

If you're worried about improving the value of radonc (already relatively cheap AF aside from certain high dollar ventures) and want to reduce excess fractions, go ahead with your case based payment model, just don't provide exceptions. It's simple.

If you want to get rid of health care disparities across class...well that's complicated, but the first thing you can do is give away health care to those who can't afford it.

I don't think the notable personalities in our field are really interested in the simple solutions...why? Because it means sacrifice.

The search for truth is tough, and truth as it relates to human behavior can be almost too harsh to bear. Large medical school/academic hospitals are more corporatist than ever. This is what the problem is IMO regarding medical academics, the corporate influence in academia, not any nefarious academic narrative. Regarding academics outside of medicine? Not really applicable to us.

Is anyone publishing "An analysis of savings expected with elimination of the PPS exempt system of cancer centers" or "A comparative analysis of ROCR with and without proton exemption in terms of total cost of care"?

I like this a lot. This is the kind of discussion that these "thought leaders" should be having. I am so deeply disappointed. Maybe this seems dramatic. But I had respect for nearly all of the authors on that paper. But, I was wrong. Shills. Cheerleaders. Whatever you want to call them. But, this is not academic, meaningful or helpful. It's shoddy, shoddy work. And then saying "led by a PGY3". Don't do that to that kid. That's not fair. What resident is truly "leading" these types of efforts?

ROCR - yes, do it, no exceptions. Fixes fractionation problem, saves a little money

Free care - sure, that's one way to do it. Probably the easiest. But, people don't like other people getting free stuff, especially if they have to pay for it themselves.

Brave papers for sure. No one in the academy has the courage to write them. Very few in community have resources and infrastructure.

I see this paper as a line in the sand. I thought these people - at least some of them - were on the side of right. They most certainly are not.

Papers like these make me wish the peer reviews were open. Hard to comprehend how/why they didnt adjust for location/geography; or even mention it in the Limitations

• Love
Not sure about this.

I will gladly fund someone to write them if anyone knows of anyone willing to do it.

But, here lies the problem

Red Journal is ASTRO. ROCR is ASTRO. If you write something, anonymized, that is negative towards ROCR or ASTRO, it is simply not going to get published.

The reviewers are actively selected. They know who is going to favorable towards it or unfavorable. If it's about OA and for whatever reason the editor is excited about it, it may come to a guy like me. If they don't care for it, maybe it will go some academic that treats prostate that has zero interest in actually learning about it, review it, and say "there is no evidence, no reason to publish".

So, you write something like that about PPS-exemption, it won't get published in RJ. But, it may in JCO. But, JCO actually reviews things well and has far higher standards.

This sort of thing is why I'm despondent. The circle-jerk mentality is hard to break. They all reference each other. They don't want to be 'less wrong'. They could care less about the truth. It's about them, not the science.