I thought this would help all taking MCATs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

masterMood

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Seeing as the verbal section is the toughest part for most students to do well on, this article gives some good advice
http://www.unmc.edu/Community/ruralmeded/model/preprof/improving_mcat_verbal_ability.htm

Improving MCAT Verbal Ability

My advice is:

Talk about the difficulty of the verbal score whenever you have the opportunity.

Ask what the student's SAT verbal score was as that is an indication of trouble if it was below 650 and English is a first language.

Advise humanities students not to take their verbal ability for granted and to prepare to be challenged by the MCAT.

Tell all students to take a practice MCAT verbal section timed as soon as possible in college (freshman year is not too early) and expect to get an actual verbal score on the actual exam that is one number lower than the practice score.

Ask if the student has trouble recognizing vocabulary and, if so, recommend flash cards.

From freshman year on, encourage students to read such publications as "The Times Literary Supplement," "The New York Review of Books," "The New Yorker," "The Economist," "Atlantic," and to tear out articles to read while waiting for their laundry, waiting on line, etc.

I also developed a reading list, with tremendous input from Columbia University faculty and postbacc premeds, that I give out.

Query the student as to what kinds of mistakes s/he's making to try to identify the problem. Common problems are:
*over thinking the answers because they are not definite, as science answers can be
*slow reading speed and/or poor time management
*particular anxiety about verbal work, akin to math phobia
*falling for the distracter
*not being precise in the reading of the question

For many students, reading the questions (but not the answer choices) first, circling key words or references to specific lines in the text, etc. before reading the passage, works very well.

If you have the resources, hire a tutor (a graduate student is often good) to work run a verbal section prep course, beginning in early February. I have seen excellent results with students for whom English is a second language, who have learning differences, or who come from extremely disadvantaged backgrounds.

Early identification of a verbal section problem means the student has enough time to improve. Some improvement can be made with intensive work between April and August, but a self-diagnosis and a junior year start is much preferred.

Members don't see this ad.

That's very good. I think that will help give us some direction on what to focus more on. Thanks dude :thumbup:

SAT verbal below 650 means trouble? Dont you think that number should be a little lower?

Members don't see this ad :)
My solution to sucking at verbal:

Get a comfortable verbal score and max out your sciences! It's difficult to break the 8-10 range in verbal and a higher score requires much more effort than getting your Bio or Physicals into the teens. Sometimes you have to sacrifice a balanced score to get the highest possible total. Practice verbal with EK, get your score up to an acceptable range (7-9+) and aim for the fences in the sciences!

Warning - ADCOMs like balanced scores, so this may be horrible advice. I'll tell you how far my unbalanced score gets me after the cycle.

Here's a list of books that TPR gives out to improve your verbal and reading skills. I'm not sure how useful they are, i've read two so far, they are big and welll..boring aswell. Some of the stuff was intersting though

1. Bate, W. Jackson
The burden of the past and the English poet

2. Campbell, Joseph
The hero with a thousand faces

3. Durant, Will
The story of philosophy
The story of Civilization (multiple volumes)

4. Giroux, Henry A
Schooling and the struggle for public life: Critical pedagogy in the modern age

5. Gould, Stephen J
Ever since Darwin: Reflections in natural history
The mismeasure of man
Questioning the millennium: A rationalist’s guide to Precisely Arbitrary Countdown

6. Haraway, Donna (read)
Primate visions: Gender, race and Nature in the world of natural science

7. Lakoff, George and Mark Johnson
Metaphors we live by

8. Panofsky, Erwin
Meaning in the visual arts

9. Wellek, Rene and Austin warren
Theory of literature

10. Wilson, Edward O
Sociobiology
The diversity of life

Jesus, 650. I got a 630, I might as well quite while still can. That is such a generalization its crazy. Its like saying people who get below a 1150 would have a hard time, common sense.

hey guys, do u think if i sign up for tpr course in april/may, they give me those books on the 1st day of classes, or they'll just tell me to buy those? i'm pondering whether i should order them from amazon now, or wait(i already have more than enough reading material untill may)

... bump. do you all who take TPR get these books on 1st day of classes, or you buy them in a bookstore?

larrry said:
hey guys, do u think if i sign up for tpr course in april/may, they give me those books on the 1st day of classes, or they'll just tell me to buy those? i'm pondering whether i should order them from amazon now, or wait(i already have more than enough reading material untill may)

... bump. do you all who take TPR get these books on 1st day of classes, or you buy them in a bookstore?
bump

larrry said:

Hey

No no they don't give u those, u can just read them for improving ur reading/ verbal skills. Don't buy them they are huge, i've read some of them, just read the one's u find interesting and i also recomend books like Da vinci code, angels and demons, Gifted hands, "Do it right" its the best one. And read like economist and new york times

Cheers

psrai85 said:
Hey

No no they don't give u those, u can just read them for improving ur reading/ verbal skills. Don't buy them they are huge, i've read some of them, just read the one's u find interesting and i also recomend books like Da vinci code, angels and demons, Gifted hands, "Do it right" its the best one. And read like economist and new york times

Cheers
thanks a lot!