Any U.S IMGs out there applying for 2007?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

billydoc

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All!
Just wanted to know how the American / Canadian IMGs are doing. Any interviews? Any pre-matches. Stats etc? I'm not yet there myself, but thought may get some advice from the upperclassmen? Did your school matter at all, or they view it as just foreign, ande don't care about the carib ranking (you know top 3, 4, 5 whatever)?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Bump.
Anybody at all? I wonder if my question is too 'foreign" for this forum, if you get my drift?

Thanks

I didn't know there were many/if any spots really open for IMG's to start in 2007? Did you mean to ask your question re: 2008?

Members don't see this ad :)
Not an IMG/FMG here, but I've encountered a number of foreign grads on the interview trail.

Let me just start with some stats for myself.
-------------------------------------
USMLE step 1: 98/243
USMLE step 2 CS: passed
USMLE step 2 CK: 89/219
Doctor of Chiropractic (from National University of Health Sciences in Lombard, IL)
Went to Saba University School of Medicine
US Citizen

PM&R
- 23 applications
- 11 interview offers (Nassau, UT Southwestern, OSU, LSU, ECU, Eastern Virginia, Thomas Jeff., Albert Einstein, Marianjoy, U.of Miami, Mercy Pitt)
- 2 rejections (U.of Virginia, RIC)

Internal Medicine Preliminary year
- 27 applications
- 10 interview offers (Greenville SC, ECU, Jewish & Christ in Cincinnati, UofVir., West Virginia, Bassett, York, New Hanover, Saint Raphael)
- 1 rejection (Morristown)
-----------------------------------------------
My words of advice:
It is getting extremely difficult for IMGs to get interview offers. IMGs typically get the great majority of their interviews and match spots in New York...but of course those programs aren't the best either. St. George and Ross have the greatest number of IMG matches each year (I think SGU had the most last year). I think this is both because the programs are used to, and comfortable with the IMGs from those schools, AND because of the shear number of them is far greater than the other caribbean schools.
Board scores, board scores, board scores. I believe I got my interviews based on two main things: Step 1 scores and previous chiropractic experience.
Program directors are looking for people who KNOW PM&R is what they want to do. So do a rotation or two in PM&R and get letters of recommendation from those attendings.
Other than that, I really don't know what to tell you. Oh, also, get your step 2 CS and CK done and passed as soon as possible. Some programs won't even extend an invitation because you don't have them done. IMGs can not participate in the Match unless they've passed all 3 exams by the rank-list date (Feb.21st this year). So program directors aren't gonna waste their time interviewing someone they aren't 100% sure will pass all their exams.
Let me know if you have any more questions.

Let me just start with some stats for myself.
-------------------------------------
USMLE step 1: 98/243
USMLE step 2 CS: passed
USMLE step 2 CK: taking in 3 days
Doctor of Chiropractic (from National University of Health Sciences in Lombard, IL)
Went to Saba University School of Medicine
US Citizen

PM&R
- 23 applications
- 10 interview offers (Nassau, UT Southwestern, OSU, LSU, ECU, Eastern Virginia, Thomas Jeff., Albert Einstein, Marianjoy, U.of Miami)
- 2 rejections (U.of Virginia, RIC)

Internal Medicine Preliminary year
- 27 applications
- 9 interview offers (Greenville SC, ECU, Jewish & Christ in Cincinnati, UofVir., West Virginia, Bassett, York, New Hanover)
- 1 rejection (Morristown)
-----------------------------------------------
My words of advice:
It is getting extremely difficult for IMGs to get interview offers. IMGs typically get the great majority of their interviews and match spots in New York...but of course those programs aren't the best either. St. George and Ross have the greatest number of IMG matches each year (I think SGU had the most last year). I think this is both because the programs are used to, and comfortable with the IMGs from those schools, AND because of the shear number of them is far greater than the other caribbean schools.
Board scores, board scores, board scores. I believe I got my interviews based on two main things: Step 1 scores and previous chiropractic experience.
Program directors and looking for people who KNOW PM&R is what they want to do. So do a rotation or two in PM&R and get letters of recommendation from those attendings.
Other than that, I really don't know what to tell you. Oh, also, get your step 2 CS and CK done and passed as soon as possible. Some programs won't even extend an invitation because you don't have them done. IMGs can not participate in the Match unless they've passed all 3 exams by the rank-list date (Feb.21st this year). So program directors aren't gonna waste their time interviewing someone they aren't 100% sure will pass all their exams.
Let me know if you have any more questions.

Thanks DC2MD and everybody eho responded. I actually was accepted to SABA and ROSS. Went to ROSS, but withdrew for some really exacerbated health issues while on Dominica. I STILL HAVE MY ACCEPTANCE TO A COUPLE OF cARIB SCHOOL, AND WAS JUST ABOUT TO GO THIS jANUARY. bUT, i THINK i'VE GOT PRETTY GOOD SHOT AT d.o PROGRAMS, AND EVEN SOME MID TO LOW TIER md sTATE SCHOOLS. i'M IN ny, and (oops just noticed caps lock on...I wasn't screaming, just too lazy toretype :laugh: ). So what do you say dc2md, if you had to do it over whould you have gone D.O? PM&R or may be neurology is where it is for me. I also got 16 yrs of an RN and licensed acupucturist with M.S in O.M under my belt. of course it would be easier taking the carib route. But i was accepted to Ross before MCAT became a requirement. So I'll still have to take it. Saba doesn't require it yet butthey could let me in no earlier than next September./ So i might as well take a shot at D.O.
congrats btw on such high USMLE pass. Wow.

Best of luck to you :thumbup:

If time isn't really an issue, I'd definitely go for DO or U.S. MD. I went into Saba because I got out of chiropractic in Sept. of one year and would of had to study for the MCAT and wait 1-2yrs to get into a US school. Instead, I figured I'd shave off a couple years and get started. The educational experience is no less in caribbean...but it's a he11 of a lot easier when you're applying to residency programs with a DO or US MD degree.

If time isn't really an issue, I'd definitely go for DO or U.S. MD. I went into Saba because I got out of chiropractic in Sept. of one year and would of had to study for the MCAT and wait 1-2yrs to get into a US school. Instead, I figured I'd shave off a couple years and get started. The educational experience is no less in caribbean...but it's a he11 of a lot easier when you're applying to residency programs with a DO or US MD degree.

Thanks. yeah, i know. i actually went to ROSS for a couple of semesters, trying to save on the premed game. But as I've said had to withdraw. The time is certainly an isuue. I'm 36 and 1/2, and probably won't get in U.S before 2008. But so is "the rest of the story" very important. I figured I'm already older, but I can work, and sort of up and down regulate my income, support my family, take some upper level classes, hopefully rock the MCAT.
I was just asking that b/c many of my buddies from ROSS are kind of telling me to forget about U.S and just go Carib. But they haven't gone through the match yet. I weigh your opinion a lot more.

Thanks again, and the best of luck on your journey :D

It is getting extremely difficult for IMGs to get interview offers. IMGs typically get the great majority of their interviews and match spots in New York...but of course those programs aren't the best either.

I'm an IMG (graduated 2004) and had no problem getting interviews in surgery--only one rejection for an interview. My IMG colleagues did exceptionally well, too.

The keys:
--kick @$$ on Step 1 and Step 2!
--pick your school wisely
--do electives at places you would consider for residency
--be humble and aggressive

Hey guys!
Just wanted to see if anybody else wanted to contribute to this thread. Most of you are probably closed to being done with the interviewes. Can any Carib IMGs add some of your opinions/experiences of how well (or not) you did in 2007 interview process? Any prematch offers? I'm quite torn between going to Carib again, or trying to hammer the MCAT for D.O. I know common sense dictates go with D.O, but that's additional year and a half (I'm getting close to being 37 :eek:). And yes I know that past performances are not guarantees of the future results. But pls give some feedback on US IMG interview trail :D

Thanks