How do you tell if a disorder is SEX-Linked

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

axp107

UCLA>> Italian Pryde
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Given a pedigree for example, how can you tell if a disorder is sex-linked or autosomal?

Aw gosh, I forgot all of my genetics.. last time I did them was back in high school in ap bio :-O

Members don't see this ad.

Given a pedigree for example, how can you tell if a disorder is sex-linked or autosomal?

Aw gosh, I forgot all of my genetics.. last time I did them was back in high school in ap bio :-O
For sex-linked
Assuming father carries normal/wild type sex chromosomes

X dominant with XX mom (she has the disorder) ----> all progeny get it (the disorder)

X dominant with Xx mom (she has the disorder) ------> half of all progeny get it

x recessive with Xx mom (unaffected) ------>female progeny are normal, half of males get it

x recessive with xx mom (affected)-------->female progeny are normal, all of males get it

You can make up other scenarios where the father carries the abnormal chromosome that's dominant/recessive. And also do F1, F2 etc generations.

If men are affected and never carriers and women are mostly carriers and very rarely affected, it's an X-linked disorder.

the big giveaway that I usually see is if you see a majority of one sex getting the disease, i.e. usually males since they only get one copy of the X chromosome and 1 of Y.

hence they have a higher probability of expressing a sex-linked trait. their mother usually doesn't express the disease since she has 2 copies of X chromosomes, and if its recessive, her dominant copy will prevent her from expressing the disorder.

I dunno about sex-linked dominant traits, i'm sure they're out there but I've never heard anything about it.

sorry if this doesn't make sense, i'm pretty tired lol :sleep:

edit: just saw foghorn's post...great summary of the possibilities

Members don't see this ad :)
For sex-linked
Assuming father carries normal/wild type sex chromosomes

X dominant with XX mom (she has the disorder) ----> all progeny get it (the disorder)

X dominant with Xx mom (she has the disorder) ------> half of all progeny get it

x recessive with Xx mom ------>female progeny are normal, half of males get it

x recessive with xx mom-------->female progeny are normal, all of males get it

You can make up other scenarios where the father carries the abnormal chromosome that's dominant/recessive. And also do F1, F2 etc generations.

Well said.

Just to elaborate, there are two more cases (which don't assume that the father is normal!):

X dominant with X father (he has the disorder) ----> Daughters get it (the disorder)

X recessive with xx father (he has the disorder) and Xx mother (she seems normal) ----> half female progeny have it, half males have it (the disorder)