Official 2008 Secondary Questions Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

whateva07

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I saw one from last year like this but none for this year...Seeing how people are beginning to submit their primary application, I thought it would be a good idea to start this for any questions, concerns about secondaries from any med school.

Admin Note: This thread is now closed. Please refer to this thread for part 2 of this thread :D.

Members don't see this ad.

I just realized AMCAS says med schools wont get the first batch of applications til june 21st, so I guess there are no secondaries out there...or am I wrong?

Don't ya wish the adcoms who sometimes lurk around here would just post the secondaries for their school? Ahhh, the life of a dreamer

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't ya wish the adcoms who sometimes lurk around here would just post the secondaries for their school? Ahhh, the life of a dreamer

When will the first secondaries be out? Anyone have an estimate?

Also will it be posted on their website? or do we have to wait for them to email us?

I think a few schools already have secondaries out. Yale and perhaps Tulane, maybe more. If you're applying to either of these, go to town. Otherwise, chill out or if you're really anxious look up last years questions and answer those (although the questions this year may be different to some extent).

agreed!

*bump

Don't worry guys... seasons starts tomorrow. G'luck Yall!

Tulane's is posted on their website. They don't screen for secondaries, apparently.

anybody get secondaries yet?

don't mean to sound stupid but i can NEVER figure this out..thought I'd finally ask. but what does "bump" mean???

Hey you all, if you do a search for the 2007 thread you will find a lot of the prompts. Most secondaries don't change from year to year.

I know Duke's is the same cuz my friend filled it out and described it as being the same way someone did the previous year.

I also know USF has the same essays as does UF and other Fl. schools.

Do a search for secondary prompts and the 2007 thread should come up. I should know since I just did a search for someone today so I could give them the USF prompt since they are doing EDP and I figured they could start their essay early so they could get it edited and everything in early enough.

Members don't see this ad :)
post the link for people here?

when did people start receiving their secondaries last year?

I just noticed that the AMCAS red message about transmitting applications to schools today is gone... bring on the secondaries!

I just noticed that the AMCAS red message about transmitting applications to schools today is gone... bring on the secondaries!

Where is that?

Yah your right its gone. It used to be seen when you logged out.

Yah your right its gone. It used to be seen when you logged out.

What did the message say?? I just got verified today so I guess it wasnt on my application

What did the message say?? I just got verified today so I guess it wasnt on my application

The message wasn't on your application itself. After you logged off it said something like "Verified applications will be made available to schools starting June 21st." Again, not those exact words, but something similar.

bump up to the top.

Some are getting non-screened secondaries

just got ohio states secondary. bunch of fill in the blanks, they ask if you ever lived in ohio, for crimes, etc. reapplicants they ask to list 6 schools they ahve previously applied to (not sure why) and then there are two brief essays:

1. In your own words, define altruism and provide an example or two where you exhibited altruistic behavior in your past activities.
(600 words or less)

2.In the space provided, describe your motivation for a career in medicine and experiences you have had that helped confirm this desire.
(600 words or less)

GW:

What is your specific interest in the MD Program at GW? What opportunities would you take advantage of as a student here? Please restrict your answer to ten lines.

FSU:

Travel
Indicate your significant travel experiences and include the circumstances.
Fun And Diversion
Indicate what you do for fun and diversion (hobbies, special interests, etc.)
Miscellaneous
Identify any other traits, habits, experiences, interests, etc., that a professor or advisor would not normally learn about you.
Parents
For both mother and father, give the following:

* Where they were raised
* 4-5 traits that would describe him/her to a stranger
* Traits you get from him/her
* Your rapport with him/her
* His/her hobbies or interests

Siblings
Give names, ages and a few brief comments about your brothers and sisters.
Practice Vision
In what field of medicine do you envision yourself working ten years from now?
ACT/SAT Scores (if any)
Please enter your ACT and SAT scores if you have taken these tests.
Self-Critical Essay
Write a critical analysis of your personal and scholastic qualifications for the study of medicine and the realization of your professional ambitions.

just got ohio states secondary. bunch of fill in the blanks, they ask if you ever lived in ohio, for crimes, etc. reapplicants they ask to list 6 schools they ahve previously applied to (not sure why) and then there are two brief essays:

1. In your own words, define altruism and provide an example or two where you exhibited altruistic behavior in your past activities.
(600 words or less)

2.In the space provided, describe your motivation for a career in medicine and experiences you have had that helped confirm this desire.
(600 words or less)

Sandlot, you beat me to it... I just got my OSU secondary too.

I'm in line for review - FINALLY! Does anyone know if Cincinnati does pre-screens? I've heard they are pretty quick on sending out secondaries, so I'd like to know at point I should freak out. :D Thanks!!

what do you write for secondaries that ask how long is your address good til...what if i gave my home address and it is good for forever! or at least 10 more years

just got an email from UMDNJ-RWJMS today. no secondary, they just want me to fork over LORs and cash.

what do you write for secondaries that ask how long is your address good til...what if i gave my home address and it is good for forever! or at least 10 more years

I also was wondering this, but decided to go with the date of 01/01/09, since they definitely won't need to send me anything application-related once 2009 rolls around :D

I have a question about the OSU secondary: how are we supposed to know whether we want university housing or not right off the bat? How is everyone answering this? Put in a request for it now and then back out later if you decide you'd rather live off campus? Does anyone know what the majority of first year med students do?

Another question, what is the difference between rural and small town for the classifications of where you grew up? Did you only grow up rural if you lived outside of city limits, or is it rural if you are in a farming community? My hometown was a population about 5,000, if that helps anyone determine which I should pick.

Meharry Medical College: They let you create an account and file your secondary application independent of the primary submission....

http://www.applyweb.com/apply/meharry/menu.html

Could someone please post Drexel, Rosalind Franklin, Dartmouth, UNC, Wake Forest, or New York Medical College as they become available? My primary won't be ready for submission until mid-July. Thanks. Super helpful thread!

Cornell sent theirs out today. you need a password to get in, but the essay is about why you chose cornell.

If anyone gets a 2ndary from an IL school, would you please post? Thanks!

does anyone know if columbia needs to invite you to fill our their secondary, or if you just create an account with that thing on their website?

I didn't get the cornell one today- I guess they are going out in batches

Baylor's is available online. I was allowed to create a login even though they haven't gotten my AMCAS yet. It's a lot of stuff about how much you worked through college or if you are the first member of your family to attend college, then a really general essay (2000 characters) about whatever you want to talk about that wasn't mentioned in AMCAS.

http://www.bcm.edu/admissions/?PMID=1776

(600 words or less)

(600 words or less)

OSU has had the same secondary questions for quite some time now. At least 3 or 4 years. It is nice to be able to answer the same questions although i am sure they will be comparing my application from last time. I will have to come up with something entirely new. don't want to make that mistake.

we should make a list of all the secondaries available and continue to update it. According to some other people this is what I have gathered so far....

GW
Eastern Virginia
Einstein
Columbia
Eastern Virginia
SUNY Downstate
Tulane

we should make a list of all the secondaries available and continue to update it. According to some other people this is what I have gathered so far....

We should also include whether it is available online or sent through email.
People who have info about evms, einstein, and suny downstate fill in the 'not sure.'

Columbia-online
Cornell-email invitation
GW-email invitation
Eastern Virginia-not sure
Einstein-not sure
Ohio state-email invitation
SUNY Downstate-not sure
Tulane-online
UMDNJ-RWJMS-email invitation

Does Eastern Virginia send out secondaries or do you need to go to the website and do it?

People who have info about evms, einstein, and suny downstate fill in the 'not sure.'

Columbia-online
Cornell-email invitation
GW-email invitation
Einstein-not sure
SUNY Downstate-not sure
Tulane-online
Yale - online

Columbia-online
Cornell-email invitation
GW-email invitation
Einstein-not sure
SUNY Downstate-not sure
Tulane-online
Yale - online

UMDNJ-RWJMS doesn't have a secondary. They just e-mail you a form to include with your $75 application fee.

EVMS' secondary is online, but they don't want you to submit it until they invite you to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.