Official 2008 Secondary Questions Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In part B:
(optional) Do you have unique experiences or obstacles that you have overcome that were not covered in your application about which you would like to inform our Admissions Committee? (maximum 3000 characters including spaces)

In part C:
If you have already completed you education, if your college or graduate education was interrupted, or if you do not plan to be a full-time student during the current year, describe in chronological order your activities during the time(s) when you were not enrolled as a full-time student.

In part D (MSTP):
Please give a brief description (no longer than 6 sentences) of the area of biomedical science you are most interested in studying.

Side Note:
"The MSTP Admissions Committee expects letters of recommendation submitted on your behalf from all individuals you wrote about as research mentors in the "Significant Research Essay" Section of the AMCAS application."

Members don't see this ad.

hello,

does anyone know what the turnaround time for secondaries should be? i've heard someone saying 24-48 hours, but if you wait a week, does it really matter all that much? just wondering cuz i just got back to the states and have 6 secondaries that i haven't done yet:(

thanks for the help!!!

Just got the University @ Buffalo secondary

lol... only non-biographical question: Please pay us

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got the University @ Buffalo secondary

lol... only non-biographical question: Please pay us
those are the best types of secondaries imo

those are the best types of secondaries imo
from the buffalo secondary

Do you realize that conviction of a felony may preclude licensure in some states?

The default answer is set at no :rolleyes:

I just got the secondary for the University of Kentucky for those interested:
List all the stuff for the pre-reqs just like you did on AMCAS
List all the coursework you plan on taking during the application cycle if you didn't put it on AMCAS
How would you describe your ability to use unscheduled time during the day for learning?
What competencies and qualities should a physician possess for practice in the 21st century?
Describe the most significant community service activity in which you have participated. In providing patient care, should physicians maintain emotional distance or empathize with patients’ emotional states? As a physician, how would you deal with your own emotions?
Describe a situation in your undergraduate education when you felt alive and engaged in learning.
Have you ever been subject to disciplinary action in any of the school, colleges, or universities you have attended?
Have you ever been convicted of a criminal or military offense (other than a minor traffic violation)?
And then for OOS:
[FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica]a).[FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica]Reasons for selecting a medical career;. [FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica]b).[FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica]Things you have done to prepare yourself for a medical education and career;. [FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica]c).[FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica]Personal characteristics and other accomplishments and experiences that you feel help qualify you for the practice of medicine; and,. [FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica]d).[FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica]Why you chose to apply to the University of Kentucky College of Medicine. . [FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica]e).[FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica]Please elaborate on any Kentucky ties: personal, familial, etc. .

The rest is biographical and $50!

good luck everyone!

from the buffalo secondary

Do you realize that conviction of a felony may preclude licensure in some states?

The default answer is set at no :rolleyes:

They want to make sure you're actually paying attention. :D

hello,

does anyone know what the turnaround time for secondaries should be? i've heard someone saying 24-48 hours, but if you wait a week, does it really matter all that much? just wondering cuz i just got back to the states and have 6 secondaries that i haven't done yet:(

thanks for the help!!!

It should be as quickly as you can get it done without compromising any essays you have to write. A week probably won't make a huge difference, and your file won't be complete until your LORs are in anyway. But as a general rule, yes: the sooner, the better.

They want to make sure you're actually paying attention. :D
I had to read that question a few times because I didn't want to answer yes to a question with the word felony in it for some reason :)

hey guys

i have a few questions:

1. For the GW secondary where we enter the courses we took, under the year taken do you actually put the year you took the course or the start of the academic year? so if you took physics in spring of 2005, would you put
2005 or 2004?

2. For the GW secondary, it says i'm supposed to pay the
secondary fee online.. and that after i do that i will get a fee payment authorization code...

how do i do this?. .

3. Does anyone have the link for tulane's secondary?

Thanks so much!!!!

okay scratch question 3, i found the secondary for tulane!

but if someone could help me out with my first 2 questions that would be great :)

hey guys

i have a few questions:

1. For the GW secondary where we enter the courses we took, under the year taken do you actually put the year you took the course or the start of the academic year? so if you took physics in spring of 2005, would you put
2005 or 2004?

2. For the GW secondary, it says i'm supposed to pay the
secondary fee online.. and that after i do that i will get a fee payment authorization code...

how do i do this?. .

3. Does anyone have the link for tulane's secondary?

Thanks so much!!!!

1) Use the year listed on your AMCAS. If you're not sure, put the year of class year you took it in. If you went to college 2003-2007. Freshman = 2004 Soph = 2005 Jun = 2006 Senior = 2007.
2) Pay online, get code, write code on app, send app.

AECOM - invitation
Baylor - online
Columbia-email invite
Cornell-email invitation
GW-email invitation
Eastern Virginia-not sure
FSU- email invitation
Johns Hopkins - online
Ohio state-email invitation
SUNY Downstate-not sure
Tulane-online
UMDNJ-RWJMS-email invitation
UMich - Email Invite
Yale - online

What is FSU?

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got the secondary for the University of Kentucky for those interested:
List all the stuff for the pre-reqs just like you did on AMCAS
List all the coursework you plan on taking during the application cycle if you didn't put it on AMCAS
How would you describe your ability to use unscheduled time during the day for learning?
What competencies and qualities should a physician possess for practice in the 21st century?
Describe the most significant community service activity in which you have participated. In providing patient care, should physicians maintain emotional distance or empathize with patients’ emotional states? As a physician, how would you deal with your own emotions?
Describe a situation in your undergraduate education when you felt alive and engaged in learning.
Have you ever been subject to disciplinary action in any of the school, colleges, or universities you have attended?
Have you ever been convicted of a criminal or military offense (other than a minor traffic violation)?
And then for OOS:
[FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica]a).[FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica]Reasons for selecting a medical career;. [FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica]b).[FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica]Things you have done to prepare yourself for a medical education and career;. [FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica]c).[FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica]Personal characteristics and other accomplishments and experiences that you feel help qualify you for the practice of medicine; and,. [FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica]d).[FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica]Why you chose to apply to the University of Kentucky College of Medicine. .[FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica]e).[FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica]Please elaborate on any Kentucky ties: personal, familial, etc. .

The rest is biographical and $50!

good luck everyone!

Forgot to mention it's an email invite

does anyone know how the secondaries are handled by the following schools? I'm in spain for the summer, so online applications are obviously going to be better. Thanks for any info!

USC
UCLA
UCI
UCSF
UCSD
UofW Seattle
UCD

I applied to some others, but these are my top choices. thanks!

AECOM - invitation
Baylor - online
Columbia-email invite
Cornell-email invitation
GW-email invitation
Eastern Virginia-not sure
FSU- email invitation
Jefferson - not sure

Johns Hopkins - online
Ohio state-email invitation
SUNY Downstate-not sure
Tulane-online
UConn - not sure

UMDNJ-RWJMS-email invitation
UMich - Email Invite
Yale - online

I respect the idea of secondaries, I think it's important for schools to know how a student fits with their mission, etc. But I am getting annoyed with schools that make you enter the same information you entered on AMCAS. For example, why do they ask for GPA? they have GPA from AMCAS...Or why do they ask you to again list activities, etc....that's what the AMCAS is for! Am I missing something?

AECOM - invitation
Baylor - online
Columbia - email invite
Cornell - email invitation
GW - email invitation
Eastern Virginia - not sure
FSU- email invitation
Jefferson - not sure
Johns Hopkins - online
Kentucky - email invitation
Ohio state - email invitation
SUNY Downstate - not sure
Tulane - online
UConn - online
UMDNJ-RWJMS - email invitation
UMich - Email Invite
Yale - online

AECOM - invitation
Baylor - online
Columbia - email invite
GW - email invitation
FSU- email invitation
Jefferson - not sure
Johns Hopkins - online
Tulane - online
UConn - online
UMDNJ-RWJMS - email invitation
UMich - Email Invite
Wash U- email invite
Yale - online

Has anyone else still not received Cornell?

does anyone have the website for yale's secondary? so, we just fill it out and submit even if we haven't recieved anything from them? thanks

https://medapps13.med.yale.edu/msa/msa_web.status

Yeah, you can send it now if you want. I would b/c Yale can take up to a month to change your status to "Received."

Good to know. I sent my secondary in last Thursday because I was bored and had nothing else to do. Yesterday and today I have been checking to see if my status has been changed to received. I was starting to worry because it had not.

I am anticipating having my LOR and my premed committee letter done by July 6th, can I send in secondaries before my LOR are ready or is there no difference in just waiting till after the 6th?

I am anticipating having my LOR and my premed committee letter done by July 6th, can I send in secondaries before my LOR are ready or is there no difference in just waiting till after the 6th?

there's really no difference b/c review won't begin until everything is in. however you should still time your secondary to be received by the school before your LOR's. so if your LOR's get sent out 7/6 (assuming 3-day delivery), then should click submit on your secondary at the latest 7/8.

Darn you Cornell!! Why are you taking so long to send out my secondary. It would have been better if I didn't know that other people had received theirs. Heres hoping they are just going in some weird order.

AECOM - invitation
Baylor - online
Columbia - email invite
GW - email invitation
FSU - email invitation
Jefferson - not sure
Johns Hopkins - online
Meharry - online
Tulane - online
UAB - email
U at Buffalo - no essays
UConn - online
U of Kentucky
UMDNJ-RWJMS - email invitation, no essays
UMich - Email Invite
UMC - email
Wash U - email invite
Yale - online

Instructions to Edit the List

Miller - emailed me this morning, said secondaries will come shortly.

The easy way to make those links is to open two windows to this thread.

In one window, hit reply on the last list, take away the {quote} and {/quote}. Then copy a line from one of the med schools already listed and paste where you want the new one to go. Change the name of the med school.

In the other window, click on the post number that's in the upper-right-hand corner of the post you want to refer to. This will give you the correct url. Paste into where the old url was in the old line, and you're good to go.

:luck::luck::luck:

I know that Albert Einstein's secondary is available online, but some of you all have already received invites?

Has anyone else still not received Cornell?

As of now, I haven't received any yet. I'm going to go on my application and make sure my e-mail address is put in correctly...

I was verified on the 22nd....

I know that Albert Einstein's secondary is available online, but some of you all have already received invites?

I haven't.... :(

I've got a question about the Johns Hopkins secondary. In the section where it says "List below your extracurricular activities, hobbies, interests and travel following entrance to college and indicate your degree of involvement:" should I list shadowing/internships? I did an internship at Johns Hopkins so I really want to list it, but I doesn't seem to fit in the section. Also, where do I put undergraduate research? Why am I listing this at all since it's described in my AMCAS?
Well, hopefully someone will answer this while I'm off waxing poetic about facing adversity. What adversity, you ask, would a middle class white girl face? I will think of something eventually (I hope).

I called the office today, they said they were still working on the entering class of 2007. AMCAS primaries wouldn't even be downloaded until late July/early August, so don't sweat this one yet and work on the other secondaries instead.

edit: not that theirs is so difficult in the first place...

I called the office today, they said they were still working on the entering class of 2007. AMCAS primaries wouldn't even be downloaded until late July/early August, so don't sweat this one yet and work on the other secondaries instead.

edit: not that theirs is so difficult in the first place...

Well, meh to them.

I've got a question about the Johns Hopkins secondary. In the section where it says "List below your extracurricular activities, hobbies, interests and travel following entrance to college and indicate your degree of involvement:" should I list shadowing/internships? I did an internship at Johns Hopkins so I really want to list it, but I doesn't seem to fit in the section. Also, where do I put undergraduate research? Why am I listing this at all since it's described in my AMCAS?
Well, hopefully someone will answer this while I'm off waxing poetic about facing adversity. What adversity, you ask, would a middle class white girl face? I will think of something eventually (I hope).

I'd def include shadowing. You can list research under the extracurricular section. I think they repeat activities in their secondary to make it easier to skim/read. If you don't have any life adversities, you can talk about an experience that troubled you and discuss how to perservered. Good luck :)

yah still no cornell for me. I bet they are going in order they recieve- I was verified the 18th. So I was sent out in the first batch- but I bet they got a million that first day and are working through them alphabetically (I'm a T) or order of verification?? and I mean I bet as in I'm hoping. haha

I got Cornell's email, but I can't open the site!! It opened at work and now at home it just isn't working. Is anyone else having a problem with this?

yah still no cornell for me. I bet they are going in order they recieve- I was verified the 18th. So I was sent out in the first batch- but I bet they got a million that first day and are working through them alphabetically (I'm a T) or order of verification?? and I mean I bet as in I'm hoping. haha

Not verification. i verified june 7. i am at the end of the alphabet actually :)

University of FLorida sent out a pre-2nd further information application.
Is anyone having problems getting this form to work! It just will not submit.

AECOM - invitation
Baylor - online
Columbia - email invite
GW - email invitation
FSU - email invitation
Jefferson - not sure
Johns Hopkins - online
Meharry - online
Tulane - online
UAB - email
U at Buffalo - no essays
UConn - online
U of Kentucky
UMDNJ-RWJMS - email invitation, no essays
UMich - Email Invite
UMC - email
Wash U - email invite
Yale - online

Instructions to Edit the List

Thanks Dr Durden!! You rock.

i think only one person on SDN has received it.

I received Cornell's secondary this morning (I submitted my AMCAS awhile ago and have my mcat scores in already). I thought they might have been sending it out alphabetically since a few people heard a couple days ago. I am in the latter end of the alphabet though, if that helps.

Can someone who has Cornell's secondary tell me what the word/character limits are for their "Why Cornell" essay?

Thanks

The easy way to make those links is to open two windows to this thread.

In one window, hit reply on the last list, take away the {quote} and {/quote}. Then copy a line from one of the med schools already listed and paste where you want the new one to go. Change the name of the med school.

In the other window, click on the post number that's in the upper-right-hand corner of the post you want to refer to. This will give you the correct url. Paste into where the old url was in the old line, and you're good to go.

:luck::luck::luck:

Awesome! Simply awesome! Thanks for getting that started. :thumbup:

Also, can someone who has UMich's secondary also post those questions/word limits online?

Thanks

1) Pick one non-academic activity and describe how it impacted your decision to go into medicine (1500 Char)

2) UM likes diversity of talents, experience, opinions and backgrounds. What do you have to offer UM's diversity? (1500 Char)

I don't have the app in front of me, but this is what I have in my notes. Should be basically correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.