Official 2008 Secondary Questions Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can someone who has Cornell's secondary tell me what the word/character limits are for their "Why Cornell" essay?

Thanks

200 words

Members don't see this ad.

8. List below all medical schools to which you are applying, plan to apply, or have applied to in the past and indicate year of application. (attach an additional page if necessary ) Optional response, used for demographic purposes only.

9a. Have you previously applied to any medical school? No ☐ Yes* ☐

9b. *REQUIRED if you have applied previously to any medical school: Attach a separate sheet describing what you have done since your last application, including any coursework, awards, achievements, employment, volunteer work, or health care experience.

11. List below any of your college coursework that has been taken as on-line, distance learning, or correspondence coursework.

12. List below all graduate and/or professional schools (other than medical schools) to which you are applying, plan to apply, or have applied in the past, and indicate specific college or graduate program and year of application.

13. List all graduate and/or professional tests taken with approximate dates; i.e., GRE, MCAT, DAT, etc.

14. Did you take any preparatory course for the MCAT? No ☐ Yes ☐ If Yes, which course:

15. Do you give us permission to contact your preprofessional adviser, current or former professors, current or former employers, or recommenders for additional information concerning your application? No ☐ Yes ☐

18. Provide the name and the nature of your relationship to the person whom you have asked to write your peer character reference letter.

(Name) (Relationship)

PERSONAL STATEMENT Name

Class of 2012 AAMC#

Please describe your particular strengths, accomplishments, and/or characteristics that will add to the diversity of the University of Florida College of Medcine. Please limit your response to one page.

RESEARCH TRACK Statement of Interest Name

Class of 2012 AAMC#

OPTIONAL: Please describe your interest in the University of Florida College of Medicine’s Research Track, including previous research experience. Please limit your response to one page.

i only put the biographical questions i thought were interesting.

Members don't see this ad :)
On the website for tulane, it says:

"Dear Applicant:
We have been notified that you intend to submit an application for admission to Tulane
University School of Medicine’s entering class of 2008. We are pleased that you are interested in
our program and would like to ensure that your application process proceeds as orderly and
conveniently as possible. It is not necessary that you receive confirmation of receipt of your
application by AMCAS before proceeding with the following steps; you may proceed
immediately."

So does that mean I can submit my secondary w/o being verified from AMCAS??

AECOM - invitation
Baylor - online
Columbia - email invite
Cornell - email invitation
GW - email invitation
Eastern Virginia - not sure
FSU - email invitation
Jefferson - not sure
Johns Hopkins - online
Kentucky - email invitation
Meharry - online
Ohio state - email invitation
SUNY Downstate - not sure
Tulane - online
UAB - email
U at Buffalo - no essays
UConn - online
UF- email
U of Kentucky
UMDNJ-RWJMS - email invitation, no essays
UMich - Email Invite
UMC - email
Wash U - email invite
Yale - online

Instructions to Edit the List

What's the exact wording of the Why Cornell question?

If you are not attending college during the 2007-8 academic year, what are your plans? Please limit your statement to less than 200 words.

and

Please write a brief statement giving your reasons for applying to Weill Cornell Medical College. Please limit your statement to less than 200 words.

AECOM - invitation
Baylor - online
Columbia - email invite
GW - email invitation
FSU - email invitation
Jefferson - not sure
Johns Hopkins - online
Meharry - online
SUNY Upstate - Email Invite
Tulane - online
UAB - email
U at Buffalo - no essays
UConn - online
UF- email
U of Kentucky
UMich - Email Invite
UMC - email
Wash U - email invite
Yale - online

I added SUNY Upstate to the list. I'll post the questions later. I am late for class =P

Update: No Secondary Essays... just simple questions they ask you to fill out as well as entering in Courses with Grades. I don't see why they can't look at AMCAS to see all that.

AECOM - invitation
Baylor - online
Columbia - email invite
GW - email invitation
FSU - email invitation
Jefferson - not sure
Johns Hopkins - online
Meharry - online
Tulane - online
UAB - email
U at Buffalo - no essays
UConn - online
UF- email
U of Kentucky
UMich - Email Invite
UMC - email
Wash U - email invite
Yale - online

im still waiting....

Members don't see this ad :)
AECOM - invitation
Baylor - online
Columbia - email invite
Dartmouth - online
GW - email invitation
FSU - email invitation
Jefferson - not sure
Johns Hopkins - online
Meharry - online
Tulane - online
UAB - email
U at Buffalo - no essays
UConn - online
UF- email
U of Kentucky
UMich - Email Invite
UMC - email
Wash U - email invite
Yale - online

http://www.mdapplicants.com/viewprofile.php?id=8131

I received an email from Vermont telling me I can access the supplemental online now, but due to some technical glitches I can't yet- I'll post the question when I can acess it- tonight hopefully. Just wanted to let everyone know that its out.

just got a snailmail letter from the University of Rochester stating that their secondary will be here and available for submission beginning July 6.

Yale is on our list of available secondaries and listed as online. But you need an id and password...do u have to wait to receive an email invite first if not how do u set it up to enter their application

Only three of the schools that I applied to have secondaries available and I have only received one actual invite (GW). When do you think the rest of these schools will get their secondaries out?

Yale is on our list of available secondaries and listed as online. But you need an id and password...do u have to wait to receive an email invite first if not how do u set it up to enter their application

You can create a username and password here. Good luck!

I applied to some of the schools on the list.

If I haven't heard anything, does that mean i didn't make the cut yet?

These are the specific schools:
AECOM
Meharry
Tulane
SUNY Downstate
Jefferson
Dartmouth

I applied to some of the schools on the list.

If I haven't heard anything, does that mean i didn't make the cut yet?

These are the specific schools:
AECOM
Meharry
Tulane
SUNY Downstate
Jefferson
Dartmouth

I don't know about some of those, but I haven't heard from JMC or SUNY Downstate either. I think they're just taking their time. Other threads say that some schools aren't going to get around to downloading AMCAS primaries until July (next week).

Dartmouth's secondary can be found online here. They said they will send a snail mail invite too.

Do I need to do anything for medical schools to received my MCAT score or do they automatically receive it from AAMC? I released when I took the test a year ago but I haven't done anything recently to indicate that I want it sent to schools.

Vermont's is just biographical information, where have you lived stuff, choose courses that fill prereqs, more info about activity frequency, and a random "additional info" section without any guidence.

is this some random essay that i should do but they don't tell me i should? the more specific directions say "Please list any additional information that you feel the admissions committee should be aware of during the application evaluation process."

let me know your thoughts.

when i filled out my amcas application i checked the box for taking an mcat between may and sept 2007 (checked may 11th in the pull down menu) obviously that score is already added. could the fact that i checked that box hold things up even though the date has passed. since may 11th was in the pulldown menu i figured that i had to mark it. anyone else confused/concerned about that?:confused:

hey guys, quick question...

How formal/informal should our secondary responses be? I know they should have correct grammar, punctuation, etc. but what tone??? Should it be like we are talking to a friend or more like a job interview? I ask because my mom read some of my answers and she said that it sounded too chatty.

just wondering what ya'll thought :)

Do I need to do anything for medical schools to received my MCAT score or do they automatically receive it from AAMC? I released when I took the test a year ago but I haven't done anything recently to indicate that I want it sent to schools.

If you've taken the tests, the scores should be uploaded automatically into AMCAS. That's how the schools will get it, though some will ask for additional information on your secondary.

when i filled out my amcas application i checked the box for taking an mcat between may and sept 2007 (checked may 11th in the pull down menu) obviously that score is already added. could the fact that i checked that box hold things up even though the date has passed. since may 11th was in the pulldown menu i figured that i had to mark it. anyone else confused/concerned about that?:confused:

I was thinking that, but since I filled it out after I got my scores, I didn't check it. It's intended for people who still haven't received their scores, as on the final application, it'll say something like 'this student is not planning on taking any additional MCATs'. So yeah, that could hold up your application.

Email invite today

Optional Essay

What additional information, if any, do you wish to provide the Admissions Committee that may be important in the evaluation of your candidacy? You may include anything in this essay that you feel is relevant. For example, many applicants have encountered various challenges in their backgrounds (e.g., coming from a low-income family, having to work a large number of hours per week while going to college, experiencing educational disadvantages in their pre-college years, following an unusually difficult course of study, changes in schools, time away from school, etc.). The Admissions Committee takes many factors into consideration when assessing performance. If your path to medicine has not been direct, please elaborate. If you feel that you have encountered significant disadvantages and would like the Admissions Committee to take them into consideration, you are invited (not required) to provide this additional information. (Limit response to 500 words.)

Re-applicant Essay
Individuals who are reapplying are required to submit a statement indicating what has changed since the previous application (e.g., additional academic work, new letters of evaluation, work or volunteer experience, etc.). (Limit response to 500 words.)

I was thinking that, but since I filled it out after I got my scores, I didn't check it. It's intended for people who still haven't received their scores, as on the final application, it'll say something like 'this student is not planning on taking any additional MCATs'. So yeah, that could hold up your application.

actually, i was just looking at the application print out and it lists your scores and then says additional intent date may 11th but i obviously already have scores for that date displayed 1 centimeter above. i don't think it's a big deal. :luck:

For the Johns Hopkins secondary, the recommendation section is titled "Letter of Recommendation" and the only person they ask you to list is your pre-health advisor. I was about to click send for all five of my letters when it occurred to me that JH may not want them. To send or not to send, that is the question.

ok this may sound really stupid..but are we supposed to mail in our secondaries in those big yellow envelopes??

ok this may sound really stupid..but are we supposed to mail in our secondaries in those big yellow envelopes??

I was assuming that we were supposed to just fold them up and put them in a normal envelope, but now that you mention it, I'm curious what other people do.

I use the big yellow envelopes. I thought everyone did

This has no affect on admissions, but if you're wondering, I mail them in small envelopes.

Question about the GW secondary, or any of these early automatic secondaries...
If I've completed the secondary but I know my LORs won't be ready for a couple of weeks, should I wait to send the secondary closer to when the LORs are ready? Or should I go ahead and submit the secondary and just send the LORs when they're ready...

GW sent their app out last Friday...I'd rather not sit on it for like 3 weeks to wait for LORs, but not sure if it makes a difference or if it's better to wait...thanks guys

Question about the GW secondary, or any of these early automatic secondaries...
If I've completed the secondary but I know my LORs won't be ready for a couple of weeks, should I wait to send the secondary closer to when the LORs are ready? Or should I go ahead and submit the secondary and just send the LORs when they're ready...

GW sent their app out last Friday...I'd rather not sit on it for like 3 weeks to wait for LORs, but not sure if it makes a difference or if it's better to wait...thanks guys

I'm in a similar situation and I decided to send out my completed secondary once I was finished. My LORs should be out in like a week, so I figured that it would probably take a week or so (maybe even longer) for GW to acknowledge receipt of my secondary so it would all even out in the end.

I'm in a similar situation and I decided to send out my completed secondary once I was finished. My LORs should be out in like a week, so I figured that it would probably take a week or so (maybe even longer) for GW to acknowledge receipt of my secondary so it would all even out in the end.

As long as your secondary comes in before your LOR's, you're good. And it doesn't take 2 weeks. GW received my secondary 2 days after I mailed it out.

Committee letter question:

If my committee interview isn't until July 26 and it takes 3 weeks to compose the committee letter to post on virtualevals, am I fine in terms of the timeline? Or am I starting to fall behind?

If July 26 + 3 weeks is fine, I was thinking about moving my interview to a slightly later date to interview with a different committee member.

I'm nervous because my GPA is crap and I really want to get everything to schools earlier than non-SDNers ;)

I received an email from Vermont telling me I can access the supplemental online now, but due to some technical glitches I can't yet- I'll post the question when I can acess it- tonight hopefully. Just wanted to let everyone know that its out.

I tried to fill out Vermont using the link they sent me, but it just brought me to the registration page, which told me so wait until they sent me an email to fill out the secondary -- is there some trick I'm missing?

hello,

so, here is baylor's essay prompt:

"indicate any special experiences, unusual factors or other information you feel would be helpful in evaluating you,
including, but not limited to, education, employment, extracurricular activities, prevailing over adversity.
You may expand upon but not repeat AMCAS application information.
2000 character limit."

what if I don't have any special experiences/unusual factors? should i just leave the space empty? thanks

Maybe I missed it but I see that UAB is on the list of secondaries but I don't see the actual questions posted anywhere. If someone could post those that would be awesome.

Just got U of Miami email invite this morning. I will post questions later; gotta go to work.

I tried to fill out Vermont using the link they sent me, but it just brought me to the registration page, which told me so wait until they sent me an email to fill out the secondary -- is there some trick I'm missing?

Thats what happened to me- call the office tell them what happened and they reset up your page.

i have not received vermont yet and they send it to everyone whats goin on?

MCW sent out the link and password to me this morning for the secondary. I don't have much time to explore it but I don't believe there are any additional essays, they just want to know what letters you will be submitting (Committee, individual, or packet), your picture, and some dinero.

Has anyone seen Indiana's secondary?

Status
Not open for further replies.