2008-2009 UT Southwestern Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shemarty

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Describe the setting which you envision conducting your medical career. Also include how and why you think this setting would help fulfill your interests related to the practice of medicine. (Word/Char limit currently unknown. Someone post when they find out, and I'll update this)

Members don't see this ad.

At this time our Supplemental Application site is still down. I wanted to pass on to you (as I have received many e-mails asking) the character limit of the topic question.

The topic question field is an unlimited text field.

I've received some questions regarding the deadline to submit the supplemental application. The deadline for submission of the supplemental application is 1 October.
Is there an additional fee to submit the supplemental application? No, there is no additional fee.

Just a reminder, the topic is this:
Describe the setting which you envision conducting your medical career. Also include how and why you think this setting would help fulfill your interests related to the practice of medicine.

I want to thank you again for your application and your interest in UT Southwestern. I will keep you posted of our progress.

Regards,

Anne

Anne P McLane
Associate Director of Admissions

Was the word count also unlimited in the past?

Members don't see this ad :)
It was limited. This is from last year's

"In the text box provided below, describe the setting in which you envision conducting your medical career. Also include how and why you think this setting would help fulfill your interests related to the practice of medicine. (This text box will scroll and allow for numerous lines. However, please limit your answer to 500 words or less if possible.)"

I just got a recent email from SW, they still said it was limitless but the essay should be limited to one page roughly.

Any news on how much longer until they post?

Don't think so.

Is there no secondary fee?? :confused:
I just submitted

Is there no secondary fee?? :confused:
I just submitted

Nope. I applied to a handful of Texas schools for less than it costs to apply to one school through AMCAS.

What, no secondary fee? How are they able to do this? I thought the reason why the other schools charged $100 was because looking through the secondaries was so labor intensive and took over three hours to review each one.

What, no secondary fee? How are they able to do this? I thought the reason why the other schools charged $100 was because looking through the secondaries was so labor intensive and took over three hours to review each one.

gpa*10+mcat+X=screen then review if MCAT >20? and GPA>3? to see if x points is assigned.

Most schools have a forumla. Do u think BU is going to read 10K+ applications?

because Tx is the best! :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
ignore this bump. i'm doing administrative things.

I honestly need to stop lurking...

Does anyone know when they're mailing interview invites? I know they said they're not going to be behind because of their delayed secondary, but I thought they started them earlier than this last year...

I honestly need to stop lurking...

Does anyone know when they're mailing interview invites? I know they said they're not going to be behind because of their delayed secondary, but I thought they started them earlier than this last year...

Their interview scheduling site is still down so I figure they need to get that up and running before they send out invites. I think that they are supposed to start interviewing on August 23rd (3 weeks from now) so hopefully they will get everything up and running this week so they can send out invites.

And last year they did start before now.

MSTP there is no secondary :). All I had to do was send letters!

Woot!

MSTP there is no secondary :). All I had to do was send letters!

Woot!

I looked on their MSTP website and it hadn't been updated from last year's round of application. I guess I'll just send in letters anyway?

I looked on their MSTP website and it hadn't been updated from last year's round of application. I guess I'll just send in letters anyway?

Hopefully? At least that's what I did lol.

Just a heads up, I phoned UTSW and the admissions dept told me that they plan on having the website to check your status up within a couple of weeks. I'm not sure if this means much, but she did inform me that around that same time they will begin sending out interview invites.

Hopefully this happens sooner than later!

They also said they had not decided upon when to start interviewing because of all of the delays.

Am I crazy or am I unable to find a place to pay a fee- is there a secondary fee there??? I know Tech had one!

How elaborate should we go into describing each activity? It says "list", so right now it's pretty bare, just one sentence each.

How elaborate should we go into describing each activity? It says "list", so right now it's pretty bare, just one sentence each.

List = List.

I just got an interview invite via email for September 6th.

I just got an interview invite also, but it was for 9/27 cuz I am OOS... it was also before I turned in the secondary...Did all of you get presecondary invites also?

Got an invite for 9/20 without secondary! Do I still need to submit the secondary or should I celebrate having one less secondary to do?

I would definitely still do it. I heard SW often gives out interviews like this based off of grades/MCAT/etc. I'm pretty sure they'll look at your total package though when deciding who gets in or not.

Got an invite for 9/20 without secondary! Do I still need to submit the secondary or should I celebrate having one less secondary to do?

I'd still do it anyway. The last thing you want to happen is fly all the way out to Dallas for your interview, walk into the room, and have your interviewer open up your file and say "So I noticed you didn't bother finishing our secondary..."

I got an invite pre-secondary also. I'm submitting mine tomorrow though.

Anyone figure out how to check if they got your letters/are you complete yet?

Anyone figure out how to check if they got your letters/are you complete yet?

I have access to a status page, but I can only get to it from the link they sent with my interview invite email.

So, I guess you have to receive an invite first. :confused:

Can some one explain what they mean by "medical setting"? I am having trouble with this one....

setting= where you anticipate working? thats how i interpreted it

Ok, thats what I was thinking, it just seemed very broad...I guess thats a good thing though...thanks

Nevermind, I found it.

Last edited:
I might be the only one who is getting frustrated with this essay topic.
[FONT=굴림]Topic: In the text box provided below, describe the setting in which you envision conducting your medical career. Also include how and why you think this setting would help fulfill your interests related to the practice of medicine..
[FONT=굴림].
[FONT=굴림]I was wondeirng if anyone could give me an insight with approaching this topic. I am especially confused about second question. Do we need to explain how this future setting would correlate with our experiences from the past? like research, volunteering, and etc..
[FONT=굴림]Also, did you just start the paragraph stating your interest? ex. I want to be a doctor concentrating on publich health doing blahblah... or did you start with experiences that made you get interested with whatever your future goal is..
[FONT=굴림]I hope anybody who has done this could give me brief outline on how they did it, so I would know where to start..
[FONT=굴림].
[FONT=굴림]Thanks,.

[FONT=굴림]Topic: In the text box provided below, describe the setting in which you envision conducting your medical career. Also include how and why you think this setting would help fulfill your interests related to the practice of medicine..

[FONT=굴림]I was wondeirng if anyone could give me an insight with approaching this topic. I am especially confused about second question. Do we need to explain how this future setting would correlate with our experiences from the past? like research, volunteering, and etc..
[FONT=굴림]Also, did you just start the paragraph stating your interest? ex. I want to be a doctor concentrating on publich health doing blahblah... or did you start with experiences that made you get interested with whatever your future goal is..
[FONT=굴림]I hope anybody who has done this could give me brief outline on how they did it, so I would know where to start..

[FONT=굴림]Thanks,.

I agree...I am having a very tough time with this one...still...any help would be greatly appreciated.

[FONT=굴림]Thanks,.

i started off with what i wanted to do. then i provided reasoning for it, based on past experiences. you can't know that you want to do something unless you've already had exposure to it, so i would be sure to have backup for any claims you are making

Have they sent out a second batch of interview invites yet?

any females know what we're supposed to wear to the southwestern friday event? jeans appropriate?

any females know what we're supposed to wear to the southwestern friday event? jeans appropriate?

I am a male, and when I was there, people were wearing everything from tshirt and shorts to suit and tie. Go for a more business casual look, because I think that is the best even medium. Jeans might be a bit too casual. Hope this helps.

I am a male, and when I was there, people were wearing everything from tshirt and shorts to suit and tie. Go for a more business casual look, because I think that is the best even medium. Jeans might be a bit too casual. Hope this helps.

The email that that they sent me telling me about the time change said the dress code was casual.

The email that that they sent me telling me about the time change said the dress code was casual.

I interviewed on the second day of interviews, so they did not say anything. I wore jeans, and no one said anything... I guess it does not matter...

Hey guys. I will be unable to attend the Friday pre-interview day (obviously I will be there for Saturday). Can anyone tell me what, in particular, they talked about on Friday that is not covered on Saturday? Is it a significant disadvantage to not going on Friday?

Status
Not open for further replies.