2008-2009 U Penn (University of Pennsylvania) Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shemarty

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
There is no formal essay on the secondary application.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
U Penn LOR Requirements:

2 minimum, 1 must be science. No maximum

Last edited:
Do they have a requirement on the number of science LORs?

Members don't see this ad :)
only a pre med advisor or committee letter is required: (from the website link above)

Letters or VirtualEvals from your school's pre-health advisor or career services office are preferred. If you do not have the services of a pre-health advisor please submit at minimum of two letters from faculty members who know you well, at least one of whom represents a science department.

you guys need a thread for this?? upenn has the easiest secondary on the planet man

......you jus pay money and click a button your mouse.

Just a heads up that U Penn is sending secondary applications on July 1st!

It is probably unnecessary to start a thread for every school you have applied to (or many of the schools you have applied to), especially for a school like UPenn, who has no secondary prompt (just send money and press a button). A 2008-08 secondary prompts thread will probably be in the works soon enough (or may have already been created).

I already created the 2008-2009 secondary prompts thread, and I'm creating a school-specific thread for each school (not just the ones I've personally applied to) so that I can link the prompt and LOR requirements back to the main index.

I know that it's particularly unnecessary for a school where there isn't even a prompt, but this thread still provides a place for people who have applied to U Penn to come and meet each other.

Sorry if you found it to be useless :(

I already created the 2008-2009 secondary prompts thread, and I'm creating a school-specific thread for each school (not just the ones I've personally applied to) so that I can link the prompt and LOR requirements back to the main index.

I know that it's particularly unnecessary for a school where there isn't even a prompt, but this thread still provides a place for people who have applied to U Penn to come and meet each other.

Sorry if you found it to be useless :(

I find it useful - it's nice to not have to scroll through dozens of posts concerning schools that I'm not applying to.

Members don't see this ad :)
I find it useful also. It's much easier than reading about all the other secondaries.
In regards to making a thread for a school with no prompts, if she didn't neurotic SDN'ers would revolt. "Where is U Penn's secondary thread?? Why don't they have a secondary???" This way, they know there is a secondary, and what it is.

They don't screen, but they will gladly accept your money!:thumbup:

Irony:

It is probably unnecessary to start a thread for every school you have applied to (or many of the schools you have applied to), especially for a school like UPenn, who has no secondary prompt (just send money and press a button). A 2008-08 secondary prompts thread will probably be in the works soon enough (or may have already been created).

This was later posted on the 2008-2009 Secondary Application Thread:

So does each school get it's own thread? Because if it does, I can't find the SLU one. Personally, I like having a thread for each school...
If it isn't linked in the first post, we don't have it yet.

I immediately started a SLU Secondary Thread :rolleyes:

sweet, thx for the clarification, but you didn't need to go through all that. I can see how individual threads may be helpful, but wonder if they will get lost in the mix, with all the medical schools SDNers are applying to. It's nice that you are starting the threads though. :)

PS: I am not trying to be a butthole, but I don't see that is irony....

Last edited:
sweet, thx for the clarification, but you didn't need to go through all that. I can see how individual threads may be helpful, but wonder if they will get lost in the mix, with all the medical schools SDNers are applying to. It's nice that you are starting the threads though. :)

PS: I am not trying to be a butthole, but I don't see that is irony....

Maybe it's not "irony," and I'm using the word wrong. :oops:

Anyway, I just saw the post about "where's the SLU thread?!" and chuckled a little bit because I remembered the post about "SDNers will revolt!" in response to your earlier comment.

Penn is awesome :) Awesome secondary (no essays) and awesome admissions website where you can see all your decisions (no waiting for snail mail here!) and keep track of your status (like if your LOR's have made it there yet, if they've received your LOIs etc).

Penn had by far one of the nicest, and informative admissions application pages :) I love schools that require nothing to be mailed, lol.

Secondaries
Shemarty: Submitted: 7/1, Letters rec'd: ??, Complete: ??

That may have been the easiest secondary I have had yet.

Secondaries

Rowerlauren: Submitted: 7/1, Letters rec'd: ??, Complete: ??

Secondaries
rplyler1: Submitted: 7/1, Letters rec'd: ??, Complete: ??

Quick question:

What do you think they mean by this question on the secondary:

Please check up to three (3) activities to which you have demonstrated commitment and leadership. (Your AMCAS application will describe your involvement in detail)

Do they just want us to pick the activities that we devoted the most time to? or had official leadership positions? or were the most important to us?

... are they only going to look at these three activities when reviewing the application? what's the point of the question?

Quick question:

What do you think they mean by this question on the secondary:

Please check up to three (3) activities to which you have demonstrated commitment and leadership. (Your AMCAS application will describe your involvement in detail)

Do they just want us to pick the activities that we devoted the most time to? or had official leadership positions? or were the most important to us?

... are they only going to look at these three activities when reviewing the application? what's the point of the question?
I picked the most "leadershipy" positions...hope they look at my other activities

Secondaries
seven87: Submitted 7/1, Letters rec'd: ??, Complete: ??

I picked the most "leadershipy" positions...hope they look at my other activities

Yeah I had that debate and was torn by 4 activities... oh well.
They better look at my other activities, but it's fine if they view those activities as the most important to me... since they are.

Yeah I had that debate and was torn by 4 activities... oh well.
They better look at my other activities, but it's fine if they view those activities as the most important to me... since they are.

mm.. yea, i don't know. i can't really choose... and it's different depending on what they want. if they want what's most important to me (ie commitment), i would pick research over something else that's more leadershipy, but i wouldn't really call research leadership.

I, for one, appreciate that you are starting a thread about each secondary. Makes it much easier to ask school related questions than one monster thread

Has anyone else not received this yet?

Secondaries
seven87: Submitted 7/1, Letters rec'd: ??, Complete: ??
dr drummer: Submitted: 7/1, Letters rec'd: ??, Complete: ??

Hey guys, I just submitted mine and paid for it... but, the submit button is still there. It looks like I didn't even submit it!

I didn't even get a screen saying "thanks for submitting." Is this normal? I got a payment confirmation page... but nothing to confirm that they actually received my app.

EDIT: It seems as though we can edit your application until we are complete? As long as we save, they have it.. I guess.

Secondaries
Shemarty:
Submitted: 7/1, Letters rec'd: ??, Complete: ??
Rowerlauren:
Submitted: 7/1, Letters rec'd: 7/1, Complete: ??
rplyler1:
seven87:
Submitted 7/1, Letters rec'd: ??, Complete: ??
dr drummer:

Thank you virtual evals for being way on time!

Hey guys, I just submitted mine and paid for it... but, the submit button is still there. It looks like I didn't even submit it!

I didn't even get a screen saying "thanks for submitting." Is this normal?

Try logging out and logging back in. Then scroll down to supplemental application and see whether it indicates you are complete or not.

Thanks!

still weird that you can edit your supp. even after submitting it

Secondaries
Shemarty:
Rowerlauren:
rplyler1:
seven87:
dr drummer:
copingmethods: Submitted: 7/1, Letters rec'd: ??, Complete: ??

Secondaries
Shemarty:
Rowerlauren:
rplyler1:
seven87:
dr drummer:
Myuuchan: Submitted: 7/1/, Letters rec'd: ??, Complete: ??

Does anyone have the link to the application log in? The one posted above doesn't seem to be working anymore. It's sending me to a screen that's asking for a "Pennkey" and a password.

Thanks.

Here is the link to the secondary.

I actually haven't received the e-mail inviting me to fill this out yet. I just knew that it was available, knew that they didn't screen, so I used the "forgot your password?" feature to have a new temporary password sent to me.

Secondaries
Shemarty:
Rowerlauren:
Submitted: 7/1, Letters rec'd: 7/1, Complete: 7/2
rplyler1:
seven87:
dr drummer:

I received the official invite today.

Secondaries
Shemarty:
Rowerlauren:
Submitted: 7/1, Letters rec'd: 7/1, Complete: 7/2
rplyler1:
seven87:
dr drummer:
chad5871: Submitted: 7/2, Letters rec'd: ??, Complete: ??

Here is the link to the secondary.

I actually haven't received the e-mail inviting me to fill this out yet. I just knew that it was available, knew that they didn't screen, so I used the "forgot your password?" feature to have a new temporary password sent to me.

Hm. I tried that and it didn't work for me.

When did everyone receive the email from Penn? Was it after their AMCAS was submitted or after it was verified? (I submitted on 6/18 and it just got verified early this morning)

Does this error mean anything to anyone?

There was a problem saving some of your information.
The following information was not saved:
* Special Circumstances response must not exceed 1000 characters.

I do not have a response...

I'm getting the same error even though I also don't have an optional essay. I've tried calling but looks like they've already left for the weekend. Please let me know if you figure it out...

I'm getting the same error...I hope they get around to fixing it soon

Status
Not open for further replies.