2008-2009 University of Kentucky Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shemarty

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
1. How would you describe your ability to use unscheduled time during the day for learning?

2. What competencies and qualities should a physician possess for practice in the 21st century?

3. Describe the most significant community service activity in which you have participated. How did it affect you?

4. Describe an experience or situation which made you feel grateful.

5. In providing patient care, should physicians maintain emotional distance or empathize with patients’ emotional states? As a physician, how would you deal with your own emotions?

6. Describe a situation in your undergraduate education when you felt alive and engaged in learning.

And the following essay is only for OUT OF STATE students:
This is an opportunity to describe more about yourself to the Admissions Committee. The Personal Comments section of the AMCAS application is not an acceptable substitute. In the essay, please address the following points:

a.) Reasons for selecting a medical career;

b.) Things you have done to prepare yourself for a medical education and career;

c.) Personal characteristics and other accomplishments and experiences that you feel help qualify you for the practice of medicine; and,

d.) Why you chose to apply to the University of Kentucky College of Medicine.

e.) Please elaborate on any Kentucky ties: personal, familial, etc.

Members don't see this ad.

So are you actually applying to all of these schools, or are you just making the threads? I'm just curious is all...

So are you actually applying to all of these schools, or are you just making the threads? I'm just curious is all...

I'm just making the threads to keep everything organized. You can click on my MDApps link to see where I'm actually applying.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am a reapplicant after being on the alternate list at UK for the 2008 cycle. I just received my secondary application today and I just want to make sure I am correct in assuming that even if I send my secondary application in and have all of the letters of recommendation and everything there, my file will not be complete until around August 8th when I get my new MCAT score. My old one will be on there, but I am retaking on July 8th. Does anyone know if I am correct in this? Thanks and good luck!

Doesn't the AMCAS get sent to the schools without the new MCAT score, or does that wait too? I know UK will send out secondaries if they only have your contact info from AMCAS, but I doubt they'd call you "complete" if they don't have your full AMCAS. I figure the PS is pretty important for their process.

Couldn't hurt to have everything done though, so it's ready ASAP.

Yeah, the AMCAS does get sent in with the old score and it also states that I will be taking it again July 8th. The reason I was asking is that I take the MCAT next Tuesday and if it isn't going to make a difference to wait a week to send in my secondary since they won't have my new score until August 8th, then I am going to just focus on the MCAT and do the secondary next week. However if it does make a difference, I sure as heck will be filling it out here real quick.

I am a reapplicant after being on the alternate list at UK for the 2008 cycle. I just received my secondary application today and I just want to make sure I am correct in assuming that even if I send my secondary application in and have all of the letters of recommendation and everything there, my file will not be complete until around August 8th when I get my new MCAT score. My old one will be on there, but I am retaking on July 8th. Does anyone know if I am correct in this? Thanks and good luck!

Correct, you won't be considered complete (and they generally won't make a decision on your app) until they receive your second MCAT. However, they will still look at the rest of your app beforehand. The following thread may be of some assistance: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=531841

with 7 essays..UKY is definitely going on the backburners for right now.

Ok this sucks...Ive written 6 of the essays, and now I just realized that UKY has some special LOR form.....Do we really have to send these in, or do you think they will accept interfolio letters?

Im hating myself right now.

Ok this sucks...Ive written 6 of the essays, and now I just realized that UKY has some special LOR form.....Do we really have to send these in, or do you think they will accept interfolio letters?

I didn't do anything with the form and they got my LORs just fine from VE. So I think the form is optional.

I didn't do anything with the form and they got my LORs just fine from VE. So I think the form is optional.
awesome, i really didnt feel like driving two hours to give them the form and stamped envelope...ill call on monday to verify....My professors are gonna think im crazy, bc I just emailed them!

They definitely take Interfolio. I had the same issue last year, but it worked out fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got an email from Kentucky. They won't be screening files for interviews until the middle of next week. Just thought I'd let you guys know.

I just got an email from Kentucky. They won't be screening files for interviews until the middle of next week. Just thought I'd let you guys know.

Much appreciated. I haven't bothered looking up when the first interview day is though. Anyone know off hand?

I don't have an answer to your question, but I just thought I'd share that my buddy who was on the alternate list with me at UK for this past cycle just got a call today and is accepted! Him and I just took the MCAT last week, so I can't even imagine how good he feels right now. That was random, but just thought I'd share...

I don't have an answer to your question, but I just thought I'd share that my buddy who was on the alternate list with me at UK for this past cycle just got a call today and is accepted! Him and I just took the MCAT last week, so I can't even imagine how good he feels right now. That was random, but just thought I'd share...

Yeah, I had the same thing happen to a guy I know too. Maybe it's the same guy?

Anyway, I never would expect an acceptance at this point, but wouldn't it be nice?

Yeah, I had the same thing happen to a guy I know too. Maybe it's the same guy?

Anyway, I never would expect an acceptance at this point, but wouldn't it be nice?

Is the guys name Mark? I definitely would never expect an acceptance at this point, but would gladly scramble around to find a place and move down there along with getting loans real quick. Wishful thinking though, I know.

Nice essays....and I was thinking about applying here too. Peace out UK

Wow, I had no idea UK's essays were so bad/ so many... I do not want to write all these essays!!!

Is the guys name Mark? I definitely would never expect an acceptance at this point, but would gladly scramble around to find a place and move down there along with getting loans real quick. Wishful thinking though, I know.

No, his name's not Mark. So I guess that means they're sending out a bunch of acceptances?

I did hear that they went ahead and increased the class size by 10 in anticipation of the rural-track thing going through. Perhaps they're getting to that now, or maybe a bunch of people just dropped. Whatev.

Wow, I had no idea UK's essays were so bad/ so many... I do not want to write all these essays!!!

Yeah, it's some work. I guess it's nice to give them as much info as possible beyond the primary, but they sure are thorough. Somehow not having a word/character limit seems to make it harder.

Relax about the essays. I only wrote a decent sized paragraph for each of them last year.

Hey where did you end up at anyway? I never did hear where it was.

Anyone have their status page updated yet? I mean, it doesn't even say they've received some of the stuff I know they have. Maybe it won't move until next week when they look at apps?

Hey where did you end up at anyway? I never did hear where it was.

Anyone have their status page updated yet? I mean, it doesn't even say they've received some of the stuff I know they have. Maybe it won't move until next week when they look at apps?

Mine has everything updated except the letters of recommendation, but I am pretty sure that none of mine have made it there anyways since the people who wrote me letters took their sweet time. My letter from my Pre-Med Review Board was the first one they wrote and was done back in June and the person in charge of sending it out just got on it yesterday...I wish UK would also list online if they got that signature sheet.

On the pre-req page they ask you to fill out, it has 3 spaces for biology and chemistry classes, but only 2 are required, do you think I should use up all 3 spaces, or just fill in the exact required number?

On the pre-req page they ask you to fill out, it has 3 spaces for biology and chemistry classes, but only 2 are required, do you think I should use up all 3 spaces, or just fill in the exact required number?

I just filled in the two that fulfilled the pre-reqs. I had a bunch of BIO classes, but I figured they just wanted the ones to consider for fulfilling the requirements. I did this last cycle and they didn't seem to have a problem with it.

So I've written the 7 main essays, but I am stumped on the "Out-Of-State" essay. That one's a killer :eek: It's basically asking you to write another personal statement! How long was everyone's answer to this one?

Also, I have a letter packet on Virtual Eval's from my advisor, so I'm a little stumped on what to put in the letters of recommendation slot, and do I need to indicate anywhere that it's virtual evals?

So I've written the 7 main essays, but I am stumped on the "Out-Of-State" essay. That one's a killer :eek: It's basically asking you to write another personal statement! How long was everyone's answer to this one?

Also, I have a letter packet on Virtual Eval's from my advisor, so I'm a little stumped on what to put in the letters of recommendation slot, and do I need to indicate anywhere that it's virtual evals?
2 pages.

Not double-spaced? That's about what mine ended up, didn't know if it was too long. How long did it take everyone to be complete at KY? Anyone know when interview offers start?

Anyone know when interview offers start?

Looks like it should be mid-this week that they start looking at the files. I assume that interview invites for EDP-ers and then everyone else will follow.

As of 7/25, my status changed to "Sent to Screening." Anyone else get this?

Mine didn't change to "Sent to Screening", but changed to "[FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica][FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica]Evaluation(s)/Recommendation(s) - Missing Info" .[FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica]Does this just mean that they haven't received my letters?

Not double-spaced? That's about what mine ended up, didn't know if it was too long. How long did it take everyone to be complete at KY? Anyone know when interview offers start?
not double spaced

Mine didn't change to "Sent to Screening", but changed to "[FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica][FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica]Evaluation(s)/Recommendation(s) - Missing Info" .[FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica]Does this just mean that they haven't received my letters? .
Mine is Evalulations-received....why the hell dont they just put screening?

Mine is Evalulations-received....why the hell dont they just put screening?

Mine is that too.. although I just got an e-mail today that they had picked up my LOR's. When I went to check my status though, it listed me as complete on 7/22... so I think maybe they're just slow at updating the status pages.

Just an update for you guys: today my status changed from "Sent to Screening" to "Interview(s) To Be Scheduled." I haven't gotten an email yet, but I guess I should expect one soon.

Where does it say that your app is complete or being screened? Under the "check status" tab? Mine doesn't say that anything is missing, but then it doesn't say that it is complete either. Should I have received an email when all materials were in?

Just an update for you guys: today my status changed from "Sent to Screening" to "Interview(s) To Be Scheduled." I haven't gotten an email yet, but I guess I should expect one soon.

If you look through the "Kentucky Status" thread from last cycle, it looks like some people waited upwards of a month between status changes to "Interview(s) to be Scheduled" and the actual e-mail invite.

Got that this morning too, guess it's a good thing! I was only "sent to screening" for 1-2 days.

So I just saw someone in the UofL thread asking for where good hotels are and I started wondering the same thing for UK. What's a good/close/clean/non-sketchy hotel for interview day?

I've been staying in lexington for years for horse shows and I always stay at La Quinta. It's seriously cheap, nice enough and close to restaurants, etc. It's less than a 5 minute drive to campus.

Oh, plus they have breakfast! Did anyone get their interview scheduled yet?

Oh, plus they have breakfast! Did anyone get their interview scheduled yet?

Not here, but I'm hoping it's coming up soon-ish. It looks like it took almost a month last cycle, so I guess they're lining up the EDP applicant interviews first.

Not here, but I'm hoping it's coming up soon-ish. It looks like it took almost a month last cycle, so I guess they're lining up the EDP applicant interviews first.

That's what I figured. I'm just excited to go to Lexington, it's one of my favorite cities and I love being there :love: . I'm really hoping for one of those Saturday interviews.

That's what I figured. I'm just excited to go to Lexington, it's one of my favorite cities and I love being there :love: . I'm really hoping for one of those Saturday interviews.

Oh man, a Saturday interview would be cool! I wouldn't have to take a day off work. I'm paid hourly, so I'm not looking forward to the fact that interviews will not only cost the travel/lodging, but also the lost wages from skipping a day of work. :(

how long was everyones 7 main essays, if you got an interview please answer this.

Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.