By popular demand: studying for a 43

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rabbit36

Lagomorphadelic
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
A lot of people have asked if I could lay out what exactly I did when studying for the MCAT. To the best of my ability to explain it, here it is. Before you take all this to heart though, keep in mind that all brains are different! The first "completely cold" MCAT I took, I got a 30, so I probably had a much more solid base to build on than some other may have. Also, I have always been extremely good at holding huge amounts of information and have a very good "working memory". Also understand the luck or "random" component of test day. If I were to take the test again, even after extensive studying, I'm 99% sure that I would score 2 or more points lower than I did the first time. That's just the nature of it, it's all about the averages and catching it on a good day. That said, here's a summary of the strategy I undertook with the explicit aim of scoring above 40:

I started dabbling in studying about a year ahead of time, but since it was so far ahead, the studying was pretty sporadic and relaxed, more just brushing up on some tough topics. I started to pick up the pace about 5 months before the test. For books, I liked Nova's MCAT physics and chemistry books, the Kaplan prep books, and the ExamKrackers series for practice with sample questions. Depending on how much science you've taken, it may be review and fine-tuning or very intensive and at times overwhelming. I can't stress enough that you should try to have all your pre-recs done before you take the test if this is possible. I really didn't have to study biology or ochem much at all because of my comfort with the material. When taking these classes, don't study to pass, study to understand and retain- this is always good advice IMO! For me it was more review and perfecting certain areas since I took many science courses during undergrad and really loved them.

As a strategy, I would say first be aware of every subject of every section that is tested- you cannot prepare for the unknown (the books I mentioned above gloss over basically everything you need to worry about, in about as much depth as is needed). I personally don't think that reading the same material over and over is that helpful, so ExamKrackers was extremely helpful for me; it has more questions than you will ever be able to do, and I think doing problems is much more effective at cementing the concepts and strategies in your head than passively reading. Obviously you need to study first, but you need to do a lot more than that if you want a very high score. This is how I recommend you go about it:

If you can in any way afford it, consider taking a course.
I did take a course, and while for me, the strategies and course itself were not so useful, the huge amount of online practice tests, quizzes, and workshops I got access to were probably what allowed me to do so well. If you don't want to read this whole thing, I'll say it here and you can peace out: the key is practice! We've all heard it before so it's easy to dismiss, but seriously, after a certain point you can study as much as you want and you wonder if it's even getting through. Doing the problems in the format of the test, reading the passages and getting your timing down will literally (ok not literally) tell you if the information really is getting through. Disappointment is excellent: a problem you get wrong on a practice test (granted you make an effort to understand why and address it afterwards) is a problem you will not get wrong on the real thing. Practice tests are also available from the AAMC for $35 a pop here if that's the only reason you'd take a course. If you think this is expensive, just wait till you get to applying and interviewing...but believe that it's all worth it in the end.

Start by reading Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Ochem, and Verbal prep books to varying degrees, trying to get the key concepts and problem solving strategies. Stay away from textbooks early on: they go into way too much detail and will overwhelm and misguide you. Use textbooks only later on when you're fine-tuning subjects and want a slightly deeper grasp or different wording (sometimes things just click when you read them another way, no?) This alone should take up to a few months, especially if you're in school or you work, but you should really try to be fairly disciplined.

The next step is to systematically find and eliminate your weaknesses.
This is where practice is absolutely key. ExamKrackers is a great great start: take a day (i.e. about 1-2 hours) to do a subject in one of the books, say electrochem, which will be about 100+ easy to difficult non passage-based questions. Just do a bunch in a row (50-100) and see how you did. Chances are, if you're like me or most people, you will get about 80% wrong. It's funny and gut-wrenching to make the jump from reading review material to doing problems, but it's a good thing to be humbled. Look at what you got wrong- know why and go back to the prep books in those topics. Do this kind of troubleshooting again and again (in Thermochem, Kinematics, Optics, Redox...) all the sections you have any problems with. This is how you do it. If you learn how to systematically whittle down your trouble spots, you will become increasingly confident that there are no topics or questions that even are trouble spots. Don't let anybody tell you otherwise, that's a gooood feeling.

-At this point, I recommend writing on a few sheets of paper a list of all the topics, sub-topics, and equations (e.g. Thermodynamics, Ideal Gas Law, Nernst equation, Bernoulli's equation, Hardy-Weinberg, Kinematics, etc. etc.) and triage your trouble areas. Which topics are you clueless on, which ones are difficult to retain, which ones do you always make stupid mistakes on, which problems take you more than a few minutes to solve... Seeing everything summed up on a few sheets of paper makes it infinitely more manageable. Seriously! Remake this list again and again from memory, each time making little annotations, jotting the relevant equations from memory, making your own connections. This will make it a lot easier for you to jump around your head during the test. You should be more or less done doing heavy (i.e. novel) studying ~1+ month before the test.

Now take a full-length practice test if you haven't already done so, which I say you should have.
Use a Saturday and do it first thing in the morning. Do the whole test, do not take more than 10 minutes between sections, do not take extra breaks, take it in a private, quite place like a study room at a library. It should take up to 5 hours. At first it is exhausting, but you'll get used to it after a few times. Online full-lengths are great because they give you instant scores, as well as areas you did poorly on and explanations of the right and wrong answers. Also, while ExamKrackers is nice, it's a total misrepresentation of what the test will be like. You need to become great at doing the MCAT's passage-based questions. By this point your knowledge should be solid, even if you don't think so. Practice is what pulls it all back out after you think you've lost it. Your brain needs to learn how to quickly access the relevant information, what passage info to discard as useless, and how to not waste your time. The information is in there, so now it's training rather than studying. The trick is to get to the point where you don't really think or stress about it, you just do it automatically and quickly. From this point on, you should focus on doing well in online full-length and subject tests. Just do test after test. It doesn't matter if you bomb them, after getting the same problem type wrong 3 or 4 times you probably won't again

I pretty much quit everything for ~3 weeks before and devoted almost all my days to tests in some form (I decided to take it in June so I would have a month after graduation, a great move). The last 2 weeks I really did take a timed 5 hour test every day about 5 days a week, completely resting the day before the test. I wanted to get completely used to taking a full-length realtime test at 8am. It takes your body and mind some time to adjust to this, so it really matters.

This is what worked for me, but keep in mind that the actual number of the final score is a bit of luck. Out of all my practice tests, my highest was 42, and my average was more around 38. My real test just happened to come at the right time and covered the right material, and I straight up just guessed right in a few cases.

This strategy basically focuses on Physical Sciences, which remember is only one section. Biology was not really an issue for me, and for most people verbal is f-ing hard to improve on after a certain point. Get ExamKrackers 101 verbal passages and do all of them timed, groups of 6-7 passages in 60 minutes. Then take all of the online verbal tests you can. You'll get better but it's much harder to improve than something like physical or biology which is just memorizing/learning and getting your problem solving skills down. You need to learn to not read too deeply, pay attention to detail and nuance in the questions, and hold the important underlying ideas/points of a passage in your head while you're answering its questions, then leave it behind when you get to the next passage. If people want more on verbal, I can post a more in-depth musing, and same for bio/ochem or the writing sample. I hope this helps anybody who's completely overwhelmed and lost with where to start. Aim for the highest score possible rather than some arbitrary number like 43. Remember anything above 35 is fantastic. Also, remember everything else that matters in this process!!! The MCAT is traditionally the most obsessed about, and- believe it or not- it's your friend, since it's the one part of your application you can really improve in a relatively short period. It can also help to quell some questions about earlier science grades. But always remember that plenty of people have been rejected by every school they applied to even with 40+ MCATs and high GPAs. Patients are not multiple choice and schools are quite aware of this. As hard as you work on the MCAT, work on everything else- letters, grades, research, ECs, statement, and why the hell you want to be a doctor. Know yourself and it will show.

Good luck studying and not freaking out too much! :D

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Thanks so much for posting! You're an inspiration to us all.

Please do post your verbal strategy if you get a chance. I need all the help I can get.

:luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Dude you couldve been on the movie 21. Didn't that guy get like a 44 or 45. Great score best luck to ya!

Thanks for the info, I read each and every word of it.

For the practice material, did you focus mainly on EK books or was there other prep books you used too (Kaplan/Princenton/Berk. Review)?

Would you mind posting a more detailed explanation for how you prepped for the verbal reasoning? Did you use any strategies during the verbal such as mapping the passage, or just reading for the main idea, etc? Again, thanks for the advice!

Believe it or not, Organic is still giving me trouble. I know everyone says MCAT Orgo is easy, but I repeatedly get answers wrong and on some questions, I don't even know what concept I'm supposed to be drawing from. If you wouldn't mind posting your Oganic strategy, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Hey guys. Thanks for your feedback. I'll post some verbal stuff and can talk about orgo in the next couple of days. Pretty busy right now, but I promise it'll be up!

Yeah the guy in 21 apparently took the mcat got like a 45 in the movie. Also had a 4.0 gpa at MIT and was applying to harvard for a free ride scholarship.

The character in "21" had a 1590 SAT score, 44 MCAT score, and a 4.0 GPA at MIT. Almost perfect, but not quite there.

Members don't see this ad :)
Based on a true story too I think

The main character of the MIT Blackjack Team, Ben Campbell, has not been entirely accurate and many of the key plots have been exaggerated for the purpose of Hollywood. The main character is based on the true story of Jeff Ma, however such mentions of the character's GPA, MCAT/SAT results should not be construed as being fact. To prevent myself from derailing out of topic, I want to congratulate Rabbit36 on an amazing score and I want to thank you for spending the time to post your suggestions for others.

Yeah once again to derail from OP, the guy from the true story about 21 don't think he took the MCAT. I think the producers put that in.

Thanks OP for the great advice and congrats on the 43! If only I had read about this before writing for the first time. I think where I went wrong was systematically eliminating my weaknesses. Instead, I tried to ignore them and hope they wouldn't come up. ie. most of organic chem.

Thanks Rabbit36, I took the MCAT last August, and like you said verbal is my weak point and I do not really even know how to improve it. I consistently get low scores on that, so if you could lay out in detail or send me a PM of how you improved (if you needed too as some people have a natural talent for that section), let me know. Include what books, time period, practice etc..... Thanks

Ok, so now on to the wonderful world of VR! Thanks for your patience everyone, I suddenly came upon a big ball of being busy. I know it’s a long time in SDN world :p

So as everyone who’s tried knows, verbal is overwhelmingly the most difficult section to improve on. As pre-meds, we’re either used to learning facts and concepts and being tested on them, or reading works and essays to write papers on them. Either way, we’ve learned to read to understand, and if not to understand, then at least to memorize the relevant information. But we’re not reading the VR passages for school, and we’re definitely not reading them for fun, so we shouldn’t read them the same way.

The biggest problem is usually that people will get bogged down in the details of the passage, and especially on those philosophy/literature/humanities passages, it can be hell. The MCAT will very rarely ask you about a specific detail in a passage, because the test makers know that if you know how to read, you can just look it up, and that doesn’t test your ability to think critically. You need to get the basic idea of each paragraph, and then move on. This, however, doesn’t mean that you should just gloss over a passage, like during a late night studying adventure when you read the same page 3 times and still don’t know what it said. If you end up reading the whole passage again to find what you need to answer a question, wow, just don’t do that. They give you scrap paper, so use it! Jot down briefly the main idea of each paragraph as you finish each, just enough so that if a question requires it know where in the passage the information will be. Keep in mind while you’re reading passages what kind of questions the MCAT usually asks:

-Which, if true, would most weaken the author’s main argument?
-Which of the following would the author be most likely to agree with?
-According to the passage, blah blah blah is significant because…
-Based on the author’s main argument, [apply to some other situation]
-Which of the following statements from the passage is not supported by evidence?

A lot of these questions assume you know the author’s main idea and argument, so you’d better be sure you know what it is before you move on to questions. It’s usually much simpler than most people make it out to be, something like:

Too much litigation ---> system backed up ---> author wants change; 2 solutions, change unlikely

That’s a whole passage right there, from a vague memory of some practice test passage. If you need to know what the solutions are, why the system is backed up, why a change is unlikely, it’s in the passage. Each of your little paragraph gists you wrote on scrap paper can narrow your search down so it’s quick (e.g. solution 2 is found in paragraph 3). But what if the questions never ask you about those? You’ve wasted your time focusing on things that won’t help you. I think VR is the hardest to finish in the given time, so every second counts.

The only reason we read the passage is to answer questions, so we should read it that way. So what the hell does that mean? Well, when reading a passage, realize that it was written. Very Zen, but let me say that another way. Ask yourself in the back of your head while you’re reading: why did the author include this information, is this opinion or fact, who’s opinion is this, how might a question test this? Basically, keep yourself critical and engaged the whole time. This is called active reading for you terminology nerds. Just don’t fall into reading it like a textbook. It’s but one hour of your life, so you can afford to spend it reading in such a strange way.

Aside:
At this point, I think I should address a likely subset among us: those who will never use ‘strategies’ out of some subconscious sense of pride. Trust me, I was there. We know we can read a passage and move on to answer questions about it. We don’t always need to refer back to the passage, we just read the answer choices and choose the one that seems right. We can hold a picture of the passage in our head. How’s that working out? If well, great, but I doubt you’d be reading this, so let me just say that doing some minimal scratch paper notes is definitely a help. It takes a little bit of effort at first and feels unnatural, but it becomes more natural. We’re trying to re-train ourselves to read in a completely different way, so it takes practice! Everyone’s gonna have a slightly different style, but it ends up being very useful because however smart you are, it’s all about time! While I’m on this aside, I should also say that VR is unique in that you don’t need outside knowledge, and in fact outside knowledge can hurt you. Think of it as jury duty: use only what is given to you in the passage (and arguments/assumptions implicit in it). This may be a problem especially in natural science passages, since a lot of us are science dorks and think we know. If the author is arguing for a completely wrong hypothesis, it doesn’t matter if we know a more reasonable one, the author is right.

Ok, now back to something, or actually, why don’t you digest this so far and tell me what’s unclear, what you’d like me to address next, where you always stumble, what passage type you HATE, and I can gear things to where everyone’s at. In the meantime, don’t forget there are at least five other things potentially as important as the MCAT for an application, and at the very least GPA. If you think it’s just too much, picture yourself as med student and then as a resident 6 or so years from now. You need to learn to handle a lot. I personally think that’s one reason why schools make the admissions process so nebulous and multi-faceted. So do your homework, change some old people diapers, do some research you’re honestly interested in, get to know some professors beyond class but not in an annoying pre-med trying to get a letter way, and ask yourself what you really believe in, why you want to be a doctor rather than a P.A. or nurse or teacher or missionary or investment banker, cause for a given reason any of those may be better routes. Don’t do anything because of how people will see you or because of the name, do it because it’s perfect for you and you will be happy (even if stressed). Med schools want to make great doctors, and they can see character and passion as well as sheer intellectual ability. Ok, off the high horse. Let me know if this stuff is helping! Rabbit out

Reactions: 1 user
OK, so the last post was a rattling off of some basic strategies and priorities to have when doing VR. I found these useful as a start, sort of causing me to click on, realize I needed to approach passages and questions very differently. But another common question is: how do you relate these strategies to actually doing better? After all, most review/prep materials and courses will more or less give the same kind of advice I have. Obviously many many people have tried to follow it yet still have not done as well as they had hoped. And this is though. You may be really trying to put these tips to use, and be confident your answers are best, but then when you finish a practice test you're still getting many wrong. You may even understand why yours weren't the best answers, but still don't know why you didn't see that before you knew the right ones. A lot of people wonder if there are certain publications you should read, ways to study, or real secrets to unlock the verbal section.

As far as studying, I'd say no. By this point, anything that will help you (like difficult vocabulary and how to manage dense, convoluted arguments) should either be with you or not. Reading about topics you think may be on VR is not only an impossible guessing game, but it's ultimately pretty worthless because again, you really don't need any outside information. However, understand that these passages do come from real publications, so if you want some exposure to some of the kinds of writing you'll see, read popular informative magazines like Discovery, Popular Mechanics, Newsweek, Time and the like. The more difficult passages (e.g. philosophy, literature, legal) seem to come from more field-specific publications and are often very jargony, so there's not much of a sensible way to get exposed (except doing practice tests!) Don't spend too much of your life reading these outside publications, but if you do read them, start reading articles critically, asking: why was this point included; is the author giving their opinion; what is their basic argument; what are they implicitly arguing against?

The biggest recommendation I would give, though, is to do a lot of practice tests! ExamKrackers 101 passages is a start, although you need to be good with timing yourself accurately because that's one of the hardest parts and one you need to get down! Think 6-7 passages in 1 hour. If you take a course, you will have access to many more practice verbal sections and they can walk you through strategies, so that's up to you if it's worth it. It's my opinion that if you actually use their resources and work hard at it instead of hope you'll improve simply through osmosis, it's definitely worth it. No matter how high your score would have been without a course, it would have been higher with a well-utilized course. But that's up to you. It is a large chunk of money, especially considering the other costs of applying. These are insignificant if you get into a school, but the money still hurts.

If anyone else has any other advice or books/resources they think really help, please post! This section is substantially more difficult to give a step by step recipe for improvement than PS, but I've tried my best to explain some big insights I needed to gain in order to start doing well on verbal. I wish everyone luck preparing for this test, and if you have specific issues please ask me. I'm anything but an expert, but it is nice to get another person's advice sometimes when you feel you've hit a dead end.

Some excellent and detailed recommendations. Congratulations on your interviews at UCSF and Columbia. It's great especially considering that your cGPA is below 3.0. Some people here claim that these schools don't even look at your application if you have below 3.0 or even 3.4. Great job not only for your perseverance to study for the MCAT, but also for your fortitude to apply to some of the best schools in the world with low GPA in spite of what people on SDN would have you believe.

Great Job! Thank you so much. My problem is that I can only do 5 passages in one hour. I guess practice is the only way to improve VB part.

Hi Rabbit36, you said "ExamKrackers is a great great start: take a day (i.e. about 1-2 hours) to do a subject in one of the books, say electrochem, which will be about 100+ easy to difficult non passage-based questions. " Do you mean 1001 questions? I heard they are easier than the real test. Even the book itself says it may not help you alot if you've already score over 10. What do you think of those practice questions?

Thanks for your post OP. I'm scheduled for Mar 28 MCAT exam. I noticed that you said that you took full length timed tests daily leading up to the exam. I plan on taking full length timed tests weekly leading up to the exam beginning Dec 18, which is when I'll have completed my content review, but am willing to switch to bi-weekly possibly.

I have access to the online Kaplan course and have multitude of practice exams. During the month before the exam, I'm afraid that taking full length practice apart from AAMC would hurt my score because no other test can compare to the AAMC exams.

Did you practice with other full lengths aside from AAMC during those critical 2to 3 weeks prior to the exam?

Hi Rabbit36, you said "ExamKrackers is a great great start: take a day (i.e. about 1-2 hours) to do a subject in one of the books, say electrochem, which will be about 100+ easy to difficult non passage-based questions. " Do you mean 1001 questions? I heard they are easier than the real test. Even the book itself says it may not help you alot if you've already score over 10. What do you think of those practice questions?

Yes, I meant 1001 questions. I think the questions are terrible if you're trying to get a feel for the test, but I think they're good for making sure you have the content down pretty well. That's why I suggest you do these very early in your studying. They let you know where your biggest gaps are. You shouldn't be using these in the last few months, because it's true that they are definitely not representative. But there are a lot of questions, so it's great exposure to the topics and depth of knowledge you should have, rather than how challenging the test questions will be (since the real test questions are based on passages and rely on critical thinking, much harder than just pulling up knowledge like in the EK books).

Thanks for your post OP. I'm scheduled for Mar 28 MCAT exam. I noticed that you said that you took full length timed tests daily leading up to the exam. I plan on taking full length timed tests weekly leading up to the exam beginning Dec 18, which is when I'll have completed my content review, but am willing to switch to bi-weekly possibly.

I saved the majority of my tests until the last month or so, rather than spacing them out over six months. A big part of it is making sure you're completely in MCAT mode on the day you take the test. You shouldn't really have to think about it, it should just feel like another practice test. I personally think it's easier to be that way if the last month you're living and breathing the test. I took it in June and pushed aside all other obligations for a month so I could do this. If you want to start with practice tests because you're done with content and don't know where to go next, try a full-length about every month or 3 weeks, and in between them make sure you do every single quiz/content review/subject test available to you. Even go back and do them twice after a few months to see if you can get the ones you got wrong. If the last month you do a full-length bi or tri-weekly (or even more), it will stop feeling like such a long test. It probably seems impossible to do that many 5 hour practice tests so often, but that's because you haven't built up your stamina yet. No matter how often you do them, though, be sure to take them in a test-like environment (not your house) and at 8:00 am (or whatever time you're taking the test at). Of course, this is just how I did it, and it's possible it would be a really bad method for you. Keep this in mind. If you think this final month 'blitz' strategy will burn you out, DON'T DO IT!! I was literally about 2 days from total burnout the day I took my test, so I guess I just timed it perfectly.

I have access to the online Kaplan course and have multitude of practice exams. During the month before the exam, I'm afraid that taking full length practice apart from AAMC would hurt my score because no other test can compare to the AAMC exams.

Did you practice with other full lengths aside from AAMC during those critical 2to 3 weeks prior to the exam?

I think the Kaplan tests are great in terms of their actual content and structure, very similar or even more difficult than the real thing in my experience. However, I feel like Kaplan's scaling is much more generous, so you score much higher than you will on the AAMC tests. This is why people freak out when they've done all kaplan tests and feel good, and then start AAMC tests and drop 5+ points. No matter how you space out the practice tests, do save the AAMC tests for last. Not only is the scaling more accurate, but the actual format (i.e. test interface) is identical, so you can be comfortable with highlighting and marking questions exactly as you'll do it on the test (for example taking kaplan's tests on my computer, I could only highlight on block at a time in a passage, which made it somewhat worthless, but on AAMC tests you can highlight as many separate sentences as you want, although they won't remain highlighted after you leave the passage). So if you take tests twice a week and have ~8 AAMC tests, then yes the last month do only AAMC. I hope that helps.

Great thread Rabbit. Will be coming back to this one in the future...

I'm planning on a June 2010 MCAT, which would be approximately 1 month after finishing my last post-bac science course. Would you suggest not even picking anything up until about June 2009, or would it be beneficial to start looking at some material now? My fear is that I will be a little rusty (last science course I took was 4 years ago) and that the PS section might be the most difficult for me. Any thoughts/advice is much appreciated.

Depending on what your post-bac courses will be, I'd say really focus on those. Nothing makes it easier to study for the MCAT than having mastered the concepts already. That way, when you're preparing for the test, you're really just brushing up. Of course, if your courses don't include physics, chem, o-chem or gen bio, then supplement with your own study plan for the lacking subject. Physical Sciences is absolutely the most material-heavy section, so if you're really rusty on these, yes, start looking at material in text books and review books. Just don't start studying for the MCAT (i.e. passages, strategy, etc.). If this makes any sense, I feel like too much familiarity with the MCAT may breed false confidence and complacency, not to mention burnout. Maybe that's totally wrong though. Only you can really be sure how much you need to study to feel you've mastered what will be on the test. Just be aware of every single subject that can come up and in how much depth, and take it from there to address all your weaknesses. I wish you luck. Your foresight and plans to start preparing well ahead of time are great strengths, and if you use this same foresight with the other aspects of your application (obtaining good letters, volunteer and clinical experience, research if you want) then you'll do great when it's time to apply!

hey..Can anyone tell me if I should be alarmed of the 16 i had on my first practise test..I ve been studying for abt 2 month...I am taking it in january and I am really scared

Yes, I meant 1001 questions. I think the questions are terrible if you're trying to get a feel for the test, but I think they're good for making sure you have the content down pretty well. That's why I suggest you do these very early in your studying. They let you know where your biggest gaps are. You shouldn't be using these in the last few months, because it's true that they are definitely not representative. But there are a lot of questions, so it's great exposure to the topics and depth of knowledge you should have, rather than how challenging the test questions will be (since the real test questions are based on passages and rely on critical thinking, much harder than just pulling up knowledge like in the EK books).

I saved the majority of my tests until the last month or so, rather than spacing them out over six months. A big part of it is making sure you're completely in MCAT mode on the day you take the test. You shouldn't really have to think about it, it should just feel like another practice test. I personally think it's easier to be that way if the last month you're living and breathing the test. I took it in June and pushed aside all other obligations for a month so I could do this. If you want to start with practice tests because you're done with content and don't know where to go next, try a full-length about every month or 3 weeks, and in between them make sure you do every single quiz/content review/subject test available to you. Even go back and do them twice after a few months to see if you can get the ones you got wrong. If the last month you do a full-length bi or tri-weekly (or even more), it will stop feeling like such a long test. It probably seems impossible to do that many 5 hour practice tests so often, but that's because you haven't built up your stamina yet. No matter how often you do them, though, be sure to take them in a test-like environment (not your house) and at 8:00 am (or whatever time you're taking the test at). Of course, this is just how I did it, and it's possible it would be a really bad method for you. Keep this in mind. If you think this final month 'blitz' strategy will burn you out, DON'T DO IT!! I was literally about 2 days from total burnout the day I took my test, so I guess I just timed it perfectly.

I think the Kaplan tests are great in terms of their actual content and structure, very similar or even more difficult than the real thing in my experience. However, I feel like Kaplan's scaling is much more generous, so you score much higher than you will on the AAMC tests. This is why people freak out when they've done all kaplan tests and feel good, and then start AAMC tests and drop 5+ points. No matter how you space out the practice tests, do save the AAMC tests for last. Not only is the scaling more accurate, but the actual format (i.e. test interface) is identical, so you can be comfortable with highlighting and marking questions exactly as you'll do it on the test (for example taking kaplan's tests on my computer, I could only highlight on block at a time in a passage, which made it somewhat worthless, but on AAMC tests you can highlight as many separate sentences as you want, although they won't remain highlighted after you leave the passage). So if you take tests twice a week and have ~8 AAMC tests, then yes the last month do only AAMC. I hope that helps.

Thanks for the great advice and sharing the tools that helped you become a great success on the MCAT!

Thanks for sharing!

This is why people freak out when they've done all kaplan tests and feel good, and then start AAMC tests and drop 5+ points.
I hadn't done all the Kaplan tests, but after the first ones I did, this is exactly what happened to me. I think people should save 4 or 5 AAMCs for last, but do the AAMCs 3 and 4 first. That way you go upwards and after doing some Kaplans can do better on AAMCs 5-10.

the verbal section is the hardest for me. i never seem to grasp the full details of the passage. i guess it's because i am an immigrant and english was my second language. Verbal section always get me.

any way to help me improve on this? i am currently taking a Princeton Review course but the strategies that they taught me is too time consuming. i normally just read and answer the question.

Hey congrats on the super mcat score! What materials did u have throughout your entire study schedule. Besides the EK set, did u use all the 1001 series, any BK? I m signed up for the Kaplan course and I have the EK set and the 101 for VR. Not sure if i should be getting other stuff

Hey congrats on the super mcat score! What materials did u have throughout your entire study schedule. Besides the EK set, did u use all the 1001 series, any BK? I m signed up for the Kaplan course and I have the EK set and the 101 for VR. Not sure if i should be getting other stuff

Not to be mean, but if you read his posts you have seen that he did problems in EK 1001 chem and physics and didn't use anything for bio since he was strong.

I know you didn't really touch on bio because you said you were strong on it, but I was wondering if there was any advice you had about the BS section in particular.

Also, did you usually read your passages for the BS and PS sections? I know some people say they don't for PS and the extra time helps them out a lot.

Thanks so much,

-LIS