Lay-offs/cut backs with CVS and Walgreens

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharms

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I was reading through some threads about how the Walgreens call center, POWER, may lead to layoffs for pharmacist.

CVS is also piloting call centers in some states. Do you think CVS will start laying off pharmacists?

I don't understand how Walgreens can lay off pharmacists, when they already have the bare minimum working at each store (one pharmacist am shift, one pharmacist pm shift, one pharmacist overnight) in IL. Any idea on how that will work?

What will happen to floaters? I was under the impression floaters only work when a pharmacist calls in sick or is on vacation.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
:thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown:
So I was reading through some threads about how the Walgreens call center, POWER, may lead to layoffs for pharmacist.

CVS is also piloting call centers in some states. Do you think CVS will start laying off pharmacists?

I don't understand how Walgreens can lay off pharmacists, when they already have the bare minimum working at each store (one pharmacist am shift, one pharmacist pm shift, one pharmacist overnight) in IL. Any idea on how that will work?

What will happen to floaters? I was under the impression floaters only work when a pharmacist calls in sick or is on vacation.

:mad::mad:
POWER is going to lead to the decline of pharmacist demand....NO TO POWER....floaters will be fine, they get the hours that no one wants so they will be fine...have you noticed the drop in stocks of walgreens, POWER was a program designed to save Wags money, outsourcing!!..a central location to direct numerous pharmacies to one location and save money....this is there real agenda:smuggrin:phase 1..call centers with techs who are incompetent..phase 2....get rid of half of the pharm techs....and phase 3....get rid of pharmacists...:thumbdown:thumbdown
If you are a pharm student beware of POWER it will cause the loss of many jobs, all these companies do not care about people, they do not care of the 100k+ loans or the amt of school, they only care about the numbers, they think of pharmacists as numbers, they do not care for us....with the decline of the economy and their stock the future is not as bright:(:(

I think it is great that Walgreens have finally created a system that would allow the pharmacists more time to spend with the patient but it can't replace the pharmacists. It may replace some of the techs though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Once a central center...CPO...is set up 1 pharmaicst in a call center can work on 10 pharmacies. Rather than 3 pharmacists who are physically in the pharmacy...the cpo also does filling...they are putting everyone on autofills so that they fill most of the refils and they get shipped to the pharmacy the next day for pick up...less scripts filled....less jobs....I work at wags and we are full in full phase of power...we are losing so many hours and a lot of my pharmacists are being pressured to retire or work in the cpo and take a big pay cut...NO TO POWER!!!!!

What is the point of the chicken little scenario and the multiple postings on different threads?Either explain yourself or go home.

Although it is not chicken little scenario, it is true.

Walgreens now have stores far away (as long as it is in the same state) checking scripts for busier stores. Their system can detect when you are busy and foward the scripts to another store. (Red/Green). When you call their pharmacies, it is automated to a central center.

When they were doing their presentations to me, I was quite annoyed at how they present it as a way to allow pharmacists to have more time to counsel the patient. They also seem to be quite proud that they were the first ones to have drive through.

Last edited:
:thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown:

:mad::mad:
POWER is going to lead to the decline of pharmacist demand....NO TO POWER....floaters will be fine, they get the hours that no one wants so they will be fine...have you noticed the drop in stocks of walgreens, POWER was a program designed to save Wags money, outsourcing!!..a central location to direct numerous pharmacies to one location and save money....this is there real agenda:smuggrin:phase 1..call centers with techs who are incompetent..phase 2....get rid of half of the pharm techs....and phase 3....get rid of pharmacists...:thumbdown:thumbdown
If you are a pharm student beware of POWER it will cause the loss of many jobs, all these companies do not care about people, they do not care of the 100k+ loans or the amt of school, they only care about the numbers, they think of pharmacists as numbers, they do not care for us....with the decline of the economy and their stock the future is not as bright:(:(

The alarmist tone of your thread aside.....You are absolutely correct. Walgreens and Wal-Mart have been working on this for years. The big corporate pharmacy machines do not care about their employees. They see us as a huge expense and nothing more. They cannot change what the government reimburses. They cannot change what the drug companies charge for the drugs. But they CAN control their labor costs and Pharmacists are a huge labor hit.

What is the point of the chicken little scenario and the multiple postings on different threads?Either explain yourself or go home.

It is not a sky is falling scenario. This poster is actually presenting some good information that is important to us all.

more time to counsel pts???? how can we counsel pts when we are busy checking work from other, busier stores????

pharmacists NEVER have "down time".......the DM will always be emailing our butts making sure the schedule is complete, cutting OT hours, making sure the techs complete any training, doing the paperwork, removing out-dates, dusting the shelves, putting away the order, filing the hard copies, calling customers to pick up their prescriptions, etc, etc, etc.........

and as for the whole drive-thru concept?????? how can u be proud of such an invention?????? it single handedly ruined the "profession" and demoted us BELOW the in-n-outs and mcdonald's of the world

not ONCE have i seen someone get mad at in-n-out waiting 20 minutes for their double-double.........the same can NOT be said at my job

When they were doing their presentations to me, I was quite annoyed at how they present it as a way to allow pharmacists to have more time to counsel the patient. They also seem to be quite proud that they were the first ones to have drive through.

Nowadays, there is only one pharmacist working at a store at a time. Everyone knows the corps are greedy but no one has explained how this system would replace the pharmacist?

more time to counsel pts???? how can we counsel pts when we are busy checking work from other, busier stores????

pharmacists NEVER have "down time".......the DM will always be emailing our butts making sure the schedule is complete, cutting OT hours, making sure the techs complete any training, doing the paperwork, removing out-dates, dusting the shelves, putting away the order, filing the hard copies, calling customers to pick up their prescriptions, etc, etc, etc.........

You described my former store EXACTLY! As far as verifying other stores' rx's, we would just bypass 'em if they were illegible, etc.

I doubt CVS will catch up, computer-wise, for a while. The "new" system rollout has had problems and they're cash-poor from acquiring Longs.

The alarmist tone of your thread aside.....You are absolutely correct. Walgreens and Wal-Mart have been working on this for years. The big corporate pharmacy machines do not care about their employees. They see us as a huge expense and nothing more. They cannot change what the government reimburses. They cannot change what the drug companies charge for the drugs. But they CAN control their labor costs and Pharmacists are a huge labor hit.

Do you actually work for Wags now or are you just giving us your opinion again, silly?

nowadays, there is only one pharmacist working at a store at a time. Everyone knows the corps are greedy but no one has explained how this system would replace the pharmacist?

exactly.

Members don't see this ad :)

Thats simple. If your store can do 1000 scripts without losing customers, why open another Walgreens a few blocks away? (ie decrease in need for pharmacist).

When Rite Aid goes bankrupt and CVS want to buy them up, why keep the stores (and pharmacist) that are in the same region open when you can just send the patients a few block down.

Thats simple. If your store can do 1000 scripts without losing customers, why open another Walgreens a few blocks away? (ie decrease in need for pharmacist).

When Rite Aid goes bankrupt and CVS want to buy them up, why keep the stores (and pharmacist) that are in the same region open when you can just send the patients a few block down.

Why open the store a few blocks away?? Because the customer is going to go to the most convenient store. In my city, we've opened 5 new pharmacies within a 4 square mile area in the last 2 years. Why would you do that?? A company could just build a bigger pharmacy with more pharmacists and save on land and building costs. But it turns out that the customer will go to the pharmacy that is closer to home, 99% of the time. If wallgreens cut down the number of its pharmacies, therefore making it a more inconvenient drive, some other company would come in and build a new building closer to people's houses in order to get their business. That's at least my experience where i live..

And there is no way the government would let walgreens and cvs merge!!.. There's no way they would allow that kind of monopoly power in the retail pharmacy business. It's a freaking retail business!

Just curious, do you think walgreens is going to go bankrupt in the near future?? Because i was under the impression that walgreens is poised for massive growth in revenue and profits due to the expanding role of pharmacists and the increasing number of prescription drugs.

:thumbup:

Hate to break it to you, but Wags is still opening stores a few blocks away (albeit more slowly due to the economy). I have two in my area and they just bought another corner not 8 miles from my store.

Do you honestly think CVS can afford to acquire Rite Aid in the near future? Wags will get them first.

Just curious, do you think walgreens is going to go bankrupt in the near future?? Because i was under the impression that walgreens is poised for massive growth in revenue and profits due to the expanding role of pharmacists and the increasing number of prescription drugs.*
Nope, don't think so.* Don't know about "massive growth in revenue", though.* Times are volatile/unpredictable right now.* Hopefully, this nasty recession will not last long term...

You also forget that the profit is not only coming from the pharmacy but also the front ends. Without the pharmacy, can Walgreens compete with 7-eleven in term of convenience or Warmart in term of price? Of course not.

:(:(:(WAGS AND CVS MAKING THE DRIVE THRU, AND OTHER BS IS THE REASON WHY THE PHARMACY PREFOSSION HAS LOST IT CREDIBILITY AND RESPECT OVER THE YEARS, GONE ARE THE TIMES WHEN WE ARE THE PROVIDERS OF KNOWLEDGE, TODAY WE ARE THE ONLY THING THAT IS GETTING IN THE WAY FROM THEM AND THEIR DRUGS, THATS WHY THEY RUSH US AND DONT CARE. WAGS AND CVS HAVE LESS RESPECT FOR PHARMDS AS WELL....POWER IS THERE ANSWER TO MAKE MORE PROFIT FOR THEMSELVES, AND THE TECHS AND PHARMD'S ARE SUFFERING.....I AM REPEATING THIS POST BECAUSE I AM TRYING TO SPREAD THE TRUTH, I HAVE SEEN WHAT THEY ARE DOING AND I AM TRYING TO PROTECT MY PROFESSION AND YOURS AS WELL....THIS IS SERIOUS TIMES...WE ALL NEED TO BE KNOWLEDGEABLE AND PREPARED:idea::idea:

:(:(:(WAGS AND CVS MAKING THE DRIVE THRU, AND OTHER BS IS THE REASON WHY THE PHARMACY PREFOSSION HAS LOST IT CREDIBILITY AND RESPECT OVER THE YEARS, GONE ARE THE TIMES WHEN WE ARE THE PROVIDERS OF KNOWLEDGE, TODAY WE ARE THE ONLY THING THAT IS GETTING IN THE WAY FROM THEM AND THEIR DRUGS, THATS WHY THEY RUSH US AND DONT CARE. WAGS AND CVS HAVE LESS RESPECT FOR PHARMDS AS WELL....POWER IS THERE ANSWER TO MAKE MORE PROFIT FOR THEMSELVES, AND THE TECHS AND PHARMD'S ARE SUFFERING.....I AM REPEATING THIS POST BECAUSE I AM TRYING TO SPREAD THE TRUTH, I HAVE SEEN WHAT THEY ARE DOING AND I AM TRYING TO PROTECT MY PROFESSION AND YOURS AS WELL....THIS IS SERIOUS TIMES...WE ALL NEED TO BE KNOWLEDGEABLE AND PREPARED:idea::idea:

i get the feeling you are on a one-way trip to ban town. stop quadruple-posting dude! :eek:

Turn off the caps lock, please.

Instead of making dire predictions, why don't you offer more insightful information...or are you just another troll?

Do you mind NOT multiple posting (of the same topic) on different threads, please?

Thanks

Qwead: I can understand your worries as a tech. I agree that some tech positions will be outsourced. It is getting tough out there. I hope you well.

Where's the spelling police when you need 'em (aka confetti)?:laugh:

Dude...RELAX!!!! You have a good point and you have made it...several times. I appreciate you filling us in on Walgreens efforts to further destroy the profession. Multiple posting of the same information is irritating and could get you banned...especially since you are a new member.

How about moving on and telling us what you think we should do about it.

Im sorry, i turned off the caps lock, however....1. I am not a dude, but a lady 2.i am only relaying this information for the benefit of everyone and 3. there is nothing that we can do, unless you have a labor union that will protest such a thing or have an agreement to protect jobs....sorry everyone for annoying you, i am really sorry but i am just very passionate about my profession:(:(:(

Walgreens pharmacists in the Chicago area are unionized, already.

Nowadays, there is only one pharmacist working at a store at a time. Everyone knows the corps are greedy but no one has explained how this system would replace the pharmacist?
You've missed something. The busy stores have staggered and overlapping pharmacist shifts, e.g. 8-4, 11-7, 2-10. If a lot of the pharmacist checking is done remotely in the central office, these stores can now cope with no overlapping coverage, and the middle shift will be cut.

That's true but no overlapping is nothing new. These corps have been against overlapping even in a busy store but the problem is that not too many pharmacists are willing to work just a 4 hour shift. Another problem is lunch time. The pharmacy would have to close if there's no overlap.

I think it is great that Walgreens have finally created a system that would allow the pharmacists more time to spend with the patient but it can't replace the pharmacists. It may replace some of the techs though.
Be careful what you wish for... "More time to spend with the patient" in reality could very easily degrade into being the brunt of 'lengthy conversations' with them about their insurance copays being too expensive, or having to ring up a shopping cart full of Tena diapers because you don't have enough tech hours left to hire a cashier...

ps. BMBiology, quoting you was nothing personal. You just happened to write two posts I wanted to respond to :)

Ringing up diapers is not glamorous but hell, pay me $53 an hour and I will ring up colace, condoms and lubricant with a smile.

In the area I live in, Walgreens is starting to shorten the length of time that certain pharmacies are open (previously 8 am to 10 pm and now 9 am to 9 pm). They have it worked out so that 2 pharmacists can run a non-24 hour store ....splitting the work schedules among the two pharmacists alone, while they used to have a few extra shifts for floaters or a 3rd pharmacist when the pharmacies were open longer hours. THAT combined with the "Power" system is how they will be able to keep their doors open with less pharmacists.

One day each week, each of the two pharmacists will work a 9 am to 9 pm shift (without overlap) and no, they will not be closing for for the pharmacist to have lunch....they expect the pharmacist to have lunch while present and on duty. *Forgot to add, the other days of the week, they will have overlap.

In the area I live in, Walgreens is starting to shorten the length of time that certain pharmacies are open (previously 8 am to 10 pm and now 9 am to 9 pm). They have it worked out so that 2 pharmacists can run a non-24 hour store ....splitting the work schedules among the two pharmacists alone, while they used to have a few extra shifts for floaters or a 3rd pharmacist when the pharmacies were open longer hours. THAT combined with the "Power" system is how they will be able to keep their doors open with less pharmacists.

One day each week, each of the two pharmacists will work a 9 am to 9 pm shift (without overlap) and no, they will not be closing for for the pharmacist to have lunch....they expect the pharmacist to have lunch while present and on duty. *Forgot to add, the other days of the week, they will have overlap.

That is how it works at my current job...and it sucks big time. Work every other weekend, 12 hour shift every week and 10 hours on Saturday with no breaks or lunches. Only two hours of RPH overlap on Mondays and Tuesdays. It is the crappiest schedule I have ever worked.

Still slightly better than CVS. They have not changed thier hours. Some of thier pharmacists work 14 hour days by themselves.

I don't see what all the complaining is about. If you work for WAGs you get what you sign up for. Corporations are about making money. It doesn't matter if it's a pharmacy, a bank, or anything else. They want to help the consumer get the money out of their wallets anyway they can and put it in their own with as few hands in between as possible. Healthcare is no different. So if they want to run a more efficient business and take a few hands out of their cophers in the mean time, big deal, that's what they do. I wouldn't want to work in that environment any more than anyone else, but if I did work there, I'm not going in with my eyes shut and complaining about the kick in the pants every day either. Besides, who's filling the centralized scripts, verifying, filling the robots (I'm assuming their running scriptpros or some such.). My guess is they'd have to be run by RPh's for verifying and pharm techs for filling. Not sure what the pay difference is, but the only job loss I can see is the combining of inefficiencies at spread out pharmacies into a single position allowing for increased efficiency all around.
Sorry for :beat:

Did you for one second think that WAGs or any other retail chain is in the business to keep you employed? The only reason you have a job is because the State Board requires a pharmacist to be present when the pharmacy is open. If it were not for that single fact, these corporations would eliminate your job in a heartbeat. One should never get the impression that businesses are there to make you money; they are there to make themselves as much money as possible.

As for this POWER thing, it's going to eliminate many tech jobs. Not everything can be centrally filled(ie how will a worried mother get her antibiotics for her sick 1 year old? how will Johnny get his pain medication after being discharged from the hospital? will the 65 yo man wait a whole day for his viagra?) ie the pharmacist needs to be on duty legally for a place to be open!! The need for pharmacists is still there. Don't worry your job isn't going anywhere. I think we all need to be more concerned about the entitlement attitude of some of the students/pharmacists here.(You are not entitled to provided a job!!!) We're no better than welfare patients complaining of their $2 copays!!!

Still slightly better than CVS. They have not changed thier hours. Some of thier pharmacists work 14 hour days by themselves.

Thats pretty much every CVS in AZ, 14 hour shifts, 2 pharmacists.

Unless its 24 hours then its 12 hour shifts and only 4 pharmacists.

Well, as I have posted before, I have been with Walgreens for 2 years as a tech. We're in phase 1, bracing ourselves to see nightmare 2.

Here's what I view as a few of the problems:

1. This whole thing is supposed to be customer-service oriented and to increase customer service. How is this supposed to happen when we're putting EVERYONE on auto refill, thereby pissing patients off that have told us 3 times to take them off auto refill (but we don't remember every single person because there is no way to denote this on their profile). This has a few effects: now we're wasting time trying to open those god-awful bottles to put the drug back, we're wasting time re-entering counts on sims, and most of all, what a TIME SINK to take off every prescription off auto-refill (it's not just a click of a button). Now we have a line of people in the drive through and out window because we have less techs thanks to CPO. And also we have more scripts on the counter to fill because NO BODY wants to be on auto refill. Everyone complains that they have WAY too much medication and they get very angry.

2. We end up having to do everything twice if it comes from CPO. It gets double filled, now we waste time trying to figure out what the hell is gong on and readjust our counts. Time sink.

3. A few complaints I've had: they don't like all 12 of their 30 day supply scripts in 30dram vials in 12 separate bags. They view walgreens as wasting and not environmental friendly. We have patients that REFUSE to take the plastic bags that CPO sends us because they view it as wasting. So we have to redo everything! Oh but we're supposed to be spending more time with patients. Sorry but one or two techs and one pharmacist is not gonna cut it. Patients aren't going to wait around and deal with the crap, they'll take off and go to their local cvs, publix, walmart whatever.

4. OOS - Cenfill is taking our OOSes out of stock and leaving them as an unnecessary TPR for the next day, not informing us or leaving a comment about anything. when it comes to ordering, we have to go over every single exception to see what cenfill is trying to do to make sure that we have everything on hand for the next day, as we promised to our patient.

5. This pipe dream is supposed to be patient oriented and spending more time with the patient. Filling someone's prescriptions across the state and then having some technician with an ipod in their ear take their phone call seems incredibly impersonable! What happen to Walgreens? Twenty years ago, walgreens was about customer service, now they're 150% bottom line oriented. Walgreens execs told me at a meeting that we are NOT to tell people that their medication is being filled elsewhere and being shipped in. Yeah well good luck keeping that from the public. When people find out, they get pissed off and they don't trust it. People have already transferred their scripts out. Then they're talking to someone in orlando about their issues, they come into the pharmacy and start yelling at us about the issue and we have no idea who they talked to, what they even talked about or what the problem even is! HUGE breakdown in communication -- and this is not just a "kink" that needs to be worked out! Yet more time to be wasting on just one patient with one or two techs and a pharmacist.

6. Lastly, there's tons of other things going on that's too minute to explain but enough to cause confusion and chaos in the pharmacy, but has anyone else noticed that they've cut down on the warehouse orders? Stuff like nexium and singulair and budeprion, we don't even have in stock! We're effing oosing Lyrica or promethazine! What happened to cutting costs by cutting down orders from cardinal? And no, we can't rely on cenfill to fill things like lyrica or promethazine because chances are, THEY DONT HAVE IT! and it takes way too long to hear back from them to know if they do! They'll hold it there until 15 minutes til we close, and we get dumped with about 40 scripts. Thank God I'm not in a 24 hour store cause they get dumped with over 200 at 8am that they're not going to ship but are promised at 9am. But now a patient comes in, we don't have things like nexium, so we tell them, "I'm sorry but come back tomorow and we'll have it for you." That's warranting a response of, "I'll take my script back, thanks but no thanks!"

7. Last and certainly not least, walgreens has done everything in its will with power to completely cut off their employees' passion for their job. Nobody cares anymore. My pharmacy manager has completely changed his attitude and has no more passion. He's upset with this system, doesn't agree but is going with it for 4 more years until he can retire. But he said that they killed his passion, and they've definitely killed my co-workers passion

This whole system sounds like a REALLY bad case of group-think.

I don't care what happens at this point. I plan on bailing out and working with Watson that opened down the street from me even though walgreens has informed me that I would be saved from the technician lay off because of my priority. I could careless since they could careless as well. This company isn't going to be "the #1 pharmacy that America trusts" for long.

In any case once I'm a pharmacist, I don't ever plan on walking into another walgreens ever again. Not because of power but because of their general poor attitude towards their employees. Just take a look at their insurance that they offer to full time employees. Seriously, get real!

That's just my moaning and groaning on this situation.

Thank you...finally someone who understands...I am in phase 3 and it is terrible so many problems...do you know why the cfo of wags quit??

I wouldn't say that the future of pharmacy is "doomed", but I would say the future of walgreens is doomed. Really poor choice of management on this POWER.

Everybody can speculate from a third party position, but until you're actually working in the phases behind the counter and you fully understand walgreens' old and now new system, you really can't say anything about POWER. Personally, I have heard from District Pharmacy Supervisors to pharmacists to regular techs, not one person has found this system to be efficient. It's not about the anger from jobs being cut, it's about the aggravation and now the death of passion for our job because everything is now out of our hands and in someone else's in Orlando. I can't provide answers for patients. All I can do is sell. everything is out of my hands as I get yelled at for something that was done in Orlando and I can't even fix because I don't know what the problem was. It's tremendously aggravating and even MORE aggravating for the person on the other side of the counter. No answers? calling someone you can't see face to face? If I were the patient, I'd go somewhere else, too.

I agree and they have, our store is a high volume pharmacy which averages 600-800 scripts a day, we still average that however they are mostly refils from CPO that on one wants to pick up...people do not like to be told when to pick their stuff up they will tell you when they are ready to go there...personally my manager has had a change of heart just like yours, she was really enthusiatic about her job, now all she wants to do when she gets in is hope the day ends quickly so she can go home, the same attitude as everybody else in the pharmacy. The problems and complains are overwhelming and are causing alot of dissaray and loss of interent, and most importantly passion for the profession...i hope the wags execs stop looking to fill their bottomless pockets and start filling their bottomless hearts

Be afraid. Especially if you lack any type of clinical skills.

If your MO is to sit back and verify...there is no need to pay a PharmD $50+/hr to sit in a pharmacy and verify scripts. It can be done from a remote location.

For all this whining, I haven't heard of a Pharmacist coalition, florida based or otherwise, trying to fight this. Haven't heard of any national battlecries or threats to walk.

Know why? Cause walgreen's puts the green in your pocket. There would always be a pharmacist willing to bend over and lube up for $55/hr., no matter what the hellish environment. And that's not walgreens fault, that's our fault. We let this happen. Blame corporations all you want, it's our fault.

For all this whining, I haven't heard of a Pharmacist coalition, florida based or otherwise, trying to fight this. Haven't heard of any national battlecries or threats to walk.

Know why? Cause walgreen's puts the green in your pocket. There would always be a pharmacist willing to bend over and lube up for $55/hr., no matter what the hellish environment. And that's not walgreens fault, that's our fault. We let this happen. Blame corporations all you want, it's our fault.

That and because pharmacy schools don't breed leaders. They breed little soldiers that do as they are told.

This is the major reason why I gave in my 2 weeks notice today. I've decided that the working conditions of retail are just too ridiculous for me to deal with as a full time job, and i only get paid $51 an hour. Although I have enjoyed working with the people in the company, I've decided not to be a slave to the system. I'm gonna do LTC

One of the large LTC companies is owned by Walgreens