NYCOM Discussion Thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I also had Leheste, he was very nice and we had a pretty cool discussion about the conflict between the US and Russia. He is very knowledgable and I believe he heads up the neuroscience research at NYCOM.

Hi, just wondering did you choose the morning or the afternoon interview session to get Dr Leheste? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

There was no choice on the day I went. All interviews that day were conducted in the afternoon. There are certain days that you can choose which part of the day to interview. If you are asking because you want to interview with him specifically and are wondering which session to choose, I can't help ya, sorry. I am sure you can call the school and find out.

I received my interview letter today from NYCOM, didn't think it would come since it's been so long since their notification of receipt of my primary. Pretty excited.

Members don't see this ad :)
I received my interview letter today from NYCOM, didn't think it would come since it's been so long since their notification of receipt of my primary. Pretty excited.

I interviewed this past Wed. Nov. 12th and they said it was only the second week of interviews. Sit tight- they start interviewing later than most schools.

Hey Hokie06,
I remember you!! lol Our interview group was with Dr. Blazey. :)

Hey!!! nice to see you too! hahahah were you last ones to interview with Dr. Blazey that day?

That was me!! The one who couldn't stop laughing when that guy was talking about the coral he collects... hahahahah gotta love him. He was a cool guy though.

Anybody know the name of the male D.O. interviewer the morning of 11/11? I know he specializes in OMM and this was his first year interviewing, if that helps at all. I never wrote his name down and it's completely slipped my mind. Thanks.

if it's his first year interviewing, it's not Saggio.

It could be: Gilliar, Van Arsdale, Yao, Terzella, Flaum. That more or less covers every male "OMM specialized" doctor we have in the department that I've seen so far. Any of those ring a bell?

Just got a call from Admissions. They sent me an interview invite and it came back to them, because they accidentally merged my permanent and mailing addresses into one incorrect address. I checked my AACOMAS app to make sure this wasnt my mistake but everything was right. I guess they just typed it incorrectly into my file. I dont know how long ago the letter was sent, but now I will be interviewing in late January. Im thrilled to have an interview, but wish I could have done it sooner, just because I will probably have to make a deposit for another school before then! They received my aacomas app in late august so it had been a long time. If anyone is anxious, maybe check to make sure the address they have on file for you is correct?

I will be interviewing late January as well, what date did you get?

Last edited:
if it's his first year interviewing, it's not Saggio.

It could be: Gilliar, Van Arsdale, Yao, Terzella, Flaum. That more or less covers every male "OMM specialized" doctor we have in the department that I've seen so far. Any of those ring a bell?

Thanks, that narrows it down a bit. He was new, so I don't think it was Gilliar either. I might just call the admissions office to be positive...

Hey!!! nice to see you too! hahahah were you last ones to interview with Dr. Blazey that day?

I was just reading last year's NYCOM thread and someone wrote that "rumor has it that anyone who interviews during the first two weeks of November were already accepted pre-interview, and the interview is just a formality."

If that's true, sickkkkkkkkkkk we are innnnnn.

I was just reading last year's NYCOM thread and someone wrote that "rumor has it that anyone who interviews during the first two weeks of November were already accepted pre-interview, and the interview is just a formality."

Yep I heard that rumor too! I hope we all get in hhahahah. I just found out I got wait listed to Bradenton, so im very anxious for some good news haha. hopefully we will hear back from NYCOM soon!!

I went to interview at VCOM last monday and im supposed to hear back from them tomorrow! The interview was pretty casual but long! Three separate people interview you for like 15-20 minutes. If were accepted, we're supposed to be receiving a call after 3pm tomorrow :scared:

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Ohhhhhhhhh wow that's awesome!! You said their program over at VCOM is pretty great so that would be good to hear some good news from them tomorrow. I still haven't gotten my DO letter to them, but they should be receiving it around Monday or Tuesday so hopefully I'll be complete there soon so they can review my file.

I was waitlisted at Bradenton, too! I was so disappointed. I loved that school. However, I wrote on my secondary that I wasn't sure yet if PBL was right for me (just trying to be honest) so I think that may have hurt my chances, since they ONLY do PBL. Then I sat in on the session and was so impressed by PBL. Ughhh very frustrating to be honest sometimes!! lol

Oh man I hope we get into NYCOM, too. NYCOM is pretty high up on my list, so hearing some good news would be a great relief. I hope it isn't actually going to be "around the holidays" that we hear, because it would suck to have to wait that long.

i would LOVE it if that rumor were true. NYCOM is my top choice :-/ and the anxiety is killng me!! people in past threads said that they called NYCOM a few weeks after their interview and the woman in admissions told them whether they were accepted or not. anyone know anything yet?

i would LOVE it if that rumor were true. NYCOM is my top choice :-/ and the anxiety is killng me!! people in past threads said that they called NYCOM a few weeks after their interview and the woman in admissions told them whether they were accepted or not. anyone know anything yet?
i called last week (1 week-post interview) and no decisions were made yet. some one should call this week, as it is 2 weeks post interview now.

Nycom is my top choice too.. i really really hope i get in there, im not even submitting my other secondaries.. (prob not the best idea, but w/e)

During the interview, one of the current students there told us not to worry since we were the few first groups to interview at NYCOM, assuming that we would all get in!! Have faith guys!! I'm sure we will all get in!! If I don't receive anything until the end of next week, im definitely going to call!

During the interview, one of the current students there told us not to worry since we were the few first groups to interview at NYCOM, assuming that we would all get in!! Have faith guys!! I'm sure we will all get in!! If I don't receive anything until the end of next week, im definitely going to call!

ayyy this all makes me optimistic but at the same time i don't want to get my hopes up ya know [even though at this point they already are!!]?

i'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Hi, when did u send ur primary. I send mines late october by when u think i will know about NYCOM. thanks

I interviewed on 11/6. Did they say how long it takes to get back to us? I have heard nothing yet.

I wouldn't say it's guaranteed, but you guys are certainly in a good position since you're interviewing so early. Any school is going to want to interview and invite their "A" picks first ;)

Best of luck all!

I wouldn't say it's guaranteed, but you guys are certainly in a good position since you're interviewing so early. Any school is going to want to interview and invite their "A" picks first ;)

Best of luck all!

Awesome, thanks a lot!!! Keeping my fingers crosseddd. (They should have a smiley icon for crossed fingers. I'll be optimistic and give it a :thumbup:!)

I was wondering if anyone can help me. NYCOM emailed me and told me they recieve my primary 2 weeks ago. How long does it take for them to get back to me regarding an interview. I just was wondeirng what is the time frame. Im always checking if i receieve something in the mail.lol.

I totally understand how you feel. I have a feeling we will hear back the week after Thanksgiving. Just be patient guys! I'm sure we will all get in. Since we all interviewed the first two week, our chances are looking really good if our interview went well! :)

This is definitely the most stressfull part of the entire process...I'm in the same boat as you guys but I am sure everything will be fine and our patience will pay off.

ditto! its so frustrating becuase i have an interview at WVSOM on dec 8th and I really don't want to spend all that money traveling down there if i do get in to NYCOM. i wish there was a way to find out earlier!! wishful thinking.

good luck everyone!

ditto! its so frustrating becuase i have an interview at WVSOM on dec 8th and I really don't want to spend all that money traveling down there if i do get in to NYCOM. i wish there was a way to find out earlier!! wishful thinking.

good luck everyone!

I have a feeling we will find out before Dec. 8th. I think they often tell you a longer amt of time, so that if you don't hear after 2.5 weeks, you don't start freaking out and calling.

good luck everyone!
Yep, me too. I have NSU on Dec 5, LECOM-B on Dec 10, and LECOM-Erie on December 11. Would be a shame to spend my Christmas bonus on unnecessary travel expenses, but even if it does come to that and I do get into NYCOM afterwards I don't think I would mind. I just want to get in somewhere already, it would be a huge load off.

I was there one the 6th. Do you know anything about these LECOM schools? I am hearing that they only do PBL. Does anyone know the story with that whole situation?

I was there one the 6th. Do you know anything about these LECOM schools? I am hearing that they only do PBL. Does anyone know the story with that whole situation?

LECOM-B does only PBL. However, LECOM-E offers 4 different learning pathways, including PBL and LDP (lecture-discussion pathway).

wow i think i might just blow them off in that case. I don't think I would want to go the PBL route. I have been learning my way for 16 years, don't think it would make sense to switch up during the most important years of my academic career.

anyone know how they will notify us .. by mail, phone, email? has anyone else tried calling? i think i might at the beginning of next week just to see if there has been any progress.

you will find out by snail mail, but you can try to call admissions to see if the committee has "met and made any decisions"

anyone know how they will notify us .. by mail, phone, email? has anyone else tried calling? i think i might at the beginning of next week just to see if there has been any progress.

Do you mean the week of Dec. 1st?

I think we will start hearing from them the first week of December. :(

Hey guys, here are NYCOM's match lists from 2004-2008, in case anyone's interested. Carry on. :)

Attachments

• NYCOM Match List 2004.pdf
    94.8 KB · Views: 1,315
  • NYCOM Match List 2005.pdf
    82.6 KB · Views: 1,219
  • NYCOM Match List 2006.pdf
    69 KB · Views: 854
  • NYCOM Match List 2007.pdf
    67.3 KB · Views: 994
  • NYCOM Match List 2008.pdf
    69.1 KB · Views: 3,114
haha sorry I didn't mean to sound like I know for sure. I "think" we will hear back the week after thanksgiving hahaha. Sorry!

Is anyone going to call tomorrow about decisions?? I'm scared to call lol their admissions office is a bit intimidating.

Is anyone going to call tomorrow about decisions?? I'm scared to call lol their admissions office is a bit intimidating.
i was going to call.. but i wanna cut them some slack.. half the office is probably not there due to the long weekend.. assuming they are open all together.. but if someone does call.. please do tell how things go..

Yeah I just remembered they're probably closed altogether. lol

I called wednesday. The receptionist in the admissions office was not very intimidating...so don't worry about that. She did tell me that adcom was planning on meeting shortly after the Thanksgiving break. Monday??? It is impossible to tell and the anticipation is pretty unbearable. If anyone hears anything back from them, please post, as will I.

I called wednesday. The receptionist in the admissions office was not very intimidating...so don't worry about that. She did tell me that adcom was planning on meeting shortly after the Thanksgiving break. Monday??? It is impossible to tell and the anticipation is pretty unbearable. If anyone hears anything back from them, please post, as will I.

I've called them in the past and they were less than friendly :rolleyes: Hmmm shortly after Thanksgiving?? I wish soooo badly I could find out ON Monday because I wuld rather not go on my TOUROCOM interview on Tuesday... :thumbdown: I prefer NYCOM.

I'm in!!!!!!!!!

SIKE!!! Hahaaha can't wait to hear as well!