Georgetown PBPM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jbjennin

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone starting in Georgetown's PBPM program this summer?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm starting in the fall...

It looks like I will be joining you this summer...

Members don't see this ad :)
As will I, what classes are you taking?

Same here. and Calc I... Where are you from? Have you received some kind of packet w/info from GU? I feel like I'm walking in the dark. I live in NJ and am familiar with D.C. but still could use some fyi.

I recently applied to the program starting in the Fall. How long did it take for you to hear back from admissions? Thanks!

I think it was about 3 weeks for me.

I waited four weeks and wrote an email to Amy the academic coordinator.. she told me they sent an email ONE week earlier... which I NEVER got. They must have made a mistake with the email address. She then forwarded me an acceptance so ultimately it ended well..

I would write them just to 'check up', it may be the same situation.. Good luck!

You guys should really consider dropping Gtown post bacc if you have other options. Gtown has a really bad program. Arrogant teachers and staff, etc. The fact they couldn't even get your application straight should be a big red flag. They screwed mine up, and I didn't take the warning of other former Gtown students. Your application mishap is only the first of many times they will sc*ew you over. I ended up paying, because the school is incredibly overrated (even as a top 30 school) Read the reviews!

You guys should really consider dropping Gtown post bacc if you have other options. Gtown has a really bad program. Arrogant teachers and staff, etc. The fact they couldn't even get your application straight should be a big red flag. They screwed mine up, and I didn't take the warning of other former Gtown students. Your application mishap is only the first of many times they will sc*ew you over. I ended up paying, because the school is incredibly overrated (even as a top 30 school) Read the reviews!
so how did you end up? Did you get into medical school?

Members don't see this ad :)
and also did not receive an acceptance letter until i emailed to check the status of my app. does any know when the program actually starts? also, i have received no additional information regarding a deposit, course selection, etc - have others?

Please, If You Have Other Options Do Not Go To Georgetown. It Will Be One Hassle After Another, I Can Assure You. I Finished A Couple Weeks Ago And To Top Off My Awful Experience, They Lost My Transcript Request. Add This To The List (1) Screwing Up My Grades For Two Courses, Screwing Up My Registration 2 Out Of 3 Semesters, Sending My Acceptance Letter To The Wrong Address, Professors That Belong At Community College, Etc, Etc. It Is An Awful Program! (sorry about every word being in caps - problem with SDN)

I think I'll be attending Georgetown during the summer, too. Excited to get to know everyone!

Why are you so bitter that you find it necessary to troll the forums badmouthing GTown at every possible opportunity?

Please, If You Have Other Options Do Not Go To Georgetown. It Will Be One Hassle After Another, I Can Assure You. I Finished A Couple Weeks Ago And To Top Off My Awful Experience, They Lost My Transcript Request. Add This To The List (1) Screwing Up My Grades For Two Courses, Screwing Up My Registration 2 Out Of 3 Semesters, Sending My Acceptance Letter To The Wrong Address, Professors That Belong At Community College, Etc, Etc. It Is An Awful Program! (sorry about every word being in caps - problem with SDN)

Why are you so bitter that you find it necessary to troll the forums badmouthing GTown at every possible opportunity?

Excellent question, jbjennin. TheBozz1975, can you please tell us more about your experience there? It seems that by blaming the profs/ administration as you have in other posts we're not getting the whole story here since no one else in the forums rants about G-town they way you do. Your posts don't give us any insight into where you're coming from. We would (at least I want to) to know more about you and your experience there. Did you find the classes to be too hard and not do well? Did you study with other postbacs or on your own? Stats and undergrad background would be helpful too so that we have a better idea of where you're coming from. Otherwise, it's hard to understand why you hated it so much.

I have a very detailed posting about Georgetown in the post bacc review sticky thread. In short, the salient points about Georgetown are:

1) community college level professors
2) RAMPANT cheating - on exams and sabotage in labs
3) incompetent post bacc admin staff
4) incompetent Georgetown staff
5) a "short mans syndrome" meaning that Georgetown thinks it deserves to be a top 10 school and has a collective "chip on its shoulder"
6) not a selective program - they accept almost every applicant into the post bacc program - it is a money generating outfit pure and simple. last year they accepted too many people and didn't have room for them all in the sections.

Since someone asked about my background... I got a 3.9 GPA from Georgetown's post bacc. That's not to say it's easy though. I had a 3.8 in undergrad from a top 10 school. Few people are getting 3.9's in the post bacc program. This is not a thread written out of bitterness - I am genuinely reaching out in the hopes that others can get a better post bacc experience

I have a very detailed posting about Georgetown in the post bacc review sticky thread. In short, the salient points about Georgetown are:

5) a "short mans syndrome" meaning that Georgetown thinks it deserves to be a top 10 school and has a collective "chip on its shoulder"
6) not a selective program - they accept almost every applicant into the post bacc program - it is a money generating outfit pure and simple. last year they accepted too many people and didn't have room for them all in the sections.

Since someone asked about my background... I got a 3.9 GPA from Georgetown's post bacc. That's not to say it's easy though. I had a 3.8 in undergrad from a top 10 school. Few people are getting 3.9's in the post bacc program. This is not a thread written out of bitterness - I am genuinely reaching out in the hopes that others can get a better post bacc experience

There obviously is more to your story than you are sharing. You've now posted this diatribe at least a dozen times.

There is not "obviously more to [the] story". I've given very detailed posts on Georgetown's problems. If you don't want to take my advice, then by all means sign up for 1.5-2 years of headaches from recalcitrant professors and admins, $25-30K down the drain, and no linkages. What a deal! Don't lose your place in line!

I strongly agree with points 2, 3, 5, and 6. I finished the program last year with a 3.8 and have several acceptances this year, but I would never want to go to anything Georgetown-related after that experience.

I strongly agree with points 2, 3, 5, and 6. I finished the program last year with a 3.8 and have several acceptances this year, but I would never want to go to anything Georgetown-related after that experience.

Would you say the same for the SMP?

Would you say the same for the SMP?

To be completely honest, I am not familiar with the SMP program very much. However, during a recent interview, the medical school student that was giving our tour was in the SMP program, and he had very similar complaints about being at Georgetown for that program. Needless to say, it was interesting bonding over our mutual dissatisfaction with the Georgetown experience.

After a year in the program, what did you all think of it?

I'd love to hear up-to-date information. I think I heard somewhere that they changed directors?

I've read good and bad things about almost every post bacc program that I was considering. I did, in the end, decide on Georgetown and will be starting in September later this year. I visited Gtown, UVA, UPenn, Bryn Mawr, Scripps, USC and Columbia. After applying and visiting each, I decided that I was much more attracted to the less structured programs, like Georgetown, UPenn, USC and Columbia. Of course they do have structure to a certain degree, but I didnt get the feeling that the program staff held your hand through the process. I think that all of the above mentioned programs offer fantastic resources and opportunities to their students. It really just comes down to what you (the student) wants and under which sort of academic/program circumstances (small v large classes, 1 v 2 years, ratio of students to advisers, etc) you can do best academically.