NDBE Part I-does anyone know how its curved?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mike05tusdm

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello-Does anybody know exactly how the curve is done to convert your raw score into your actual score? Does anyone have any of the actual numbers used from past year?

Basically, I want to know how many questions I need to get correct on each section to pass with a 75 score. Right now doing old tests and after going through the decks twice I'm getting about every 2 out of 3 questions right.

Thanks, Mike

Members don't see this ad.

The actual raw score to standardized score from 2002 is not yet released. Maybe some upper classman (now D4s) can share with us the conversion chart from their score reports. The latest one I have in my possession is from 1998 released ASDA exam.

To pass with a standardized score of 75, I think that you'll need to get roughly 50/100 correct in Micro/Patho, Biochem/Physio, and Anatomic Sciences sections. For Dental Anatomy, you'll need to score higher to obtain a passing 75 standardized score, maybe like a ~70/100 correct.

It's really not hard to pass with a 75, in my opinion.

Hey, Thanks for the response. Were those numbers you gave the actual 1998 numbers or just off the top of your head? Do you know what the actual 1998 numbers are for what's needed to pass? It seems like it's not too difficult to just pass and it may seem like I'm aiming low but I'm trying to get through Boards with the minimum amount of stress.

Members don't see this ad :)
that's a December 98 exam conversion table.
think the winter exam curve is a bit less than the July exam? since I think most of the people who take the Dec exam are those re-taking it after more preparation, therefore scores are less curved?

That is a good point.
I actually think they curved more in winter.
can anyone who took it already give us some info on this?

Originally posted by drillerNfiller
Although most people do take it for their first time in July, the released score conversion from december 1998 does not specify if it is the first timers or not. .

According to a document on the ADA website, the curve is only based on scores of first timers from ADA-accredited schools.

After talking to ADA's National Board of Dental Examiners on the phone, this is what I got:

1) I spoke to the Testing scoring manager, Dr. Kramer after waited and transferred 3 different times

2) A conversion scoring chart will not be given to us when we receive our scores

3) A conversion scoring chart for July 15, 2003 exam will be available when and if this particular exam is released in 3 years to ASDA (in 2006). A score conversion chart is accompanied by its released examination.

4) There is no curving when I inquired about the "curve" for the July exam, this is what Dr. Kramer had explained to me.

A standardize score of 75 is required to pass the examination, after each examination, the test committee (who made up the exam) get together to judge the fairness of the examination based on first-time exam takers' performances. It is at this time, the committee decides what raw score out of 100 should be set to equal a 75 standardized score for each section.

If an exam is considered fair and simple, the testing committee will set a higher raw score to equal standardized score of 75. If an exam is considered more difficult (like this year's Dental Anatomy section), then the raw score will be much lower to equal a standardized score of 75.

He further explaned that if two candidates both scored a raw score of 88 in a same section of the exam (let's say Anatomical Sciences), but they took the Part 1 exam at a different date (one in July 2002 and one in July 2003), these two candidate's performance is not the same because the exams are different. One could've been a lot easier than the other. Raw scores should not be used to determine how well a candidate performed.

So each exam is "judge" after the test date by the test committee and not "curved" to see whether the standardize score of 75 should be set with a higher or lower raw score.

5) Why does it take 6-8 weeks to receive our score report?

Dr. Kramer explains that this amount of time is needed to do the following:

a) test committee to judge that particular exam to set the score chart

b) to check all forms match on booklets and answer key (bubble sheet)

c) to check all candidate information is correct (some hand writings by candidates are simply impossible to read and understand by staff). Staff cross-matches with the registration forms

d) if answers bubbles left unanswered detacted by the machine, staff will go back to double check in manually to be sure that's the case

e) scanning of the bubble sheets by machines

6) On our score report, there are no raw scores given, only the standardized scores. You'll see one standardize score per section and an average standardized score. On the bottom of the score report, you'll also receive information on how well or terrible you did in comparison to everyone that took the same test that day (percentiles)

That's it for now, is this waiting of the score report killing anyone? I personally had some nightmares and pleasant dreams about it. I'm both excited and a nerve wrack to see my scores. 4 more weeks!!

hi ,
does that mean , its easier to score in july exam than decemeber ??
i remember having heard the other way round !!!!!

I asked Dr. Kramer about that specific question (is July exam more difficult usually than the December exam), his reply is "NO". Any one exam can be easy or difficult, it all depends on the test committee who makes up questions for that particular exam. Dr. Kramer said that a test committee does not purposely make the July exams more difficult than December exams.

It is all just rumors that July exams are harder than December exams and that July's raw scores are set lower to equal a standardized of 75 than the December raw scores.

A NBDE part 1 can be difficult or easy at any given session, it all depends on the testing committee on how they feel about the exam based on the performances after the testing date to set the score conversion.

A candidate can score a 86 on one exam during one year and another candidate can score a 76 on another exam during another year, but both of these raw scores can equal the same standardize score.

Long story short, no particular exam is easier than the other based on when it was given as we had assumed previously.