2009-2010 University of Miami Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shemarty

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
PROMPT

Briefly describe your non-science, non-medical experiences and activities in the spaces below. Where appropriate, include dates and length of time of your involvement. Do not send additional pages or send a resume and do not send examples of your work or photocopies of awards or recognition that you have received. Answers will be limited to 375 characters.

• Community Work (organized activities performed for the benefit of the community)
  • Employment (work experiences during the past five years that have been unrelated to science or healthcare)
  • Counseling/Teaching/Leadership (activities as a leader, organizer, counselor, advisor, or teacher)
  • Fine Arts (activities involving dance, drama, music, art, photography, etc.)
  • Sports (organized team sports or recreational activities that you play, watch, or follow)
  • Journalism (activities in which you served as a writer or editor)
  • Travel (describe your most memorable travel experience)
  • Hobbies (what do you do/collect for fun and relaxation)
Briefly describe the one healthcare experience you have had that most significantly influenced your decision to study medicine. Do not send or simply copy information from your personal statement in your AMCAS application. Limit your answer to 1,875 characters.

Why do you want to study medicine at the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine? Be as specific as possible and limit your response to this space. If you specifically chose the Miami campus or the Boca Raton campus to attend, write your response with regard to that campus. Be as specific as possible and limit your response to 1000 characters.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, it's about time someone bumps this thread.

I would love to live in Miami.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, it's about time someone bumps this thread.

I would love to live in Miami.
I lived in Ft. Lauderdale and worked in Miami. I like Lauderdale, could care less about the city of Miami ($20 to get into a bar and then $10 for a beer, blah!). However, the main Dr. I shadowed went to Miami and had a lot of good things to say about his experience. It's a very diverse city and you have a chance to see a ton of great ER cases if that's your thing. The area was also very pretty but down right miserable in the summer (and I'm used to the the FL weather - 10 years down here now).

haha applying to a lot of FL schools huh?
I see you're a fellow Floridian. I'm glad to have so many schools down here. I also dig your 9, 10, 11 MCAT :D. Hopefully I'll see you at orientation next Fall. Best of luck!

I see you're a fellow Floridian. I'm glad to have so many schools down here. I also dig your 9, 10, 11 MCAT :D. Hopefully I'll see you at orientation next Fall. Best of luck!

Thanks, likewise! you've got some great life experience.. best of luck to you

Hey fellow UM hopefuls :) Just took the MCAT yesterday so we'll see how that goes but i have a good gpa (3.91) so hopefully we'll all be at orientation a year from now!!!

I got a confirmation letter from Miami today, but no secondary, which is weird, since I'm 99.9% sure that Miami doesn't screen.

Same here. Acknowledgement is always nice though.

I got a confirmation letter from Miami today, but no secondary, which is weird, since I'm 99.9% sure that Miami doesn't screen.

Yeah - I was really thrown off by this too...I think they used the 2009 response and then immediately corrected themselves and sent an updated '2010' response to me...but both still said 'A decision to send you a secondary application will be made shortly.'

Then it directed me to the Admissions Office website...which I've already poured through.

From their FAQ section:

Do all applicants get to complete a secondary application? No. If you are a Florida resident you must have at least a 3.2 undergraduate GPA. If you are a resident of another state you will need to have a cumulative undergraduate GPA of at least 3.6. All applicants must have a minimum composite MCAT score of at least 24.

And: Up to 75 non-Florida residents may be enrolled in each first year class. As a consequence, residents of states other than Florida are encouraged to apply, but only if they have truly superior academic records (>3.6 cumulative GPA) and exceptional (30+) MCAT scores, and have unique qualifications that the Committee on Admissions would find highly desirable.

so I guess they do kind of screen?

A minimum MCAT of 24 makes for the easiest screen ever.

Members don't see this ad :)
From their FAQ section:

Do all applicants get to complete a secondary application? No. If you are a Florida resident you must have at least a 3.2 undergraduate GPA. If you are a resident of another state you will need to have a cumulative undergraduate GPA of at least 3.6. All applicants must have a minimum composite MCAT score of at least 24.

And: Up to 75 non-Florida residents may be enrolled in each first year class. As a consequence, residents of states other than Florida are encouraged to apply, but only if they have truly superior academic records (>3.6 cumulative GPA) and exceptional (30+) MCAT scores, and have unique qualifications that the Committee on Admissions would find highly desirable.

so I guess they do kind of screen?

Elsewhere on the site they repeatedly say that this year is a new process and they were giving everyone secondaries...so still strange.
(Too lazy to go look that up right now).

Anyone hear anything from Miami? I got the acknowledgment e-mail a while ago, but haven't gotten anything since.

Elsewhere on the site they repeatedly say that this year is a new process and they were giving everyone secondaries...so still strange.
(Too lazy to go look that up right now).

I'm pretty sure they'll give everyone secondaries. This is based on the "Changes to 2010 Application Cycle" section, because I'm guessing it would be most recent/correct.

On that note, hurry up Miami!!

Anyone hear anything from Miami? I got the acknowledgment e-mail a while ago, but haven't gotten anything since.

Me neither. Maybe they're like the California schools and give out secondaries to all the Florida residents first before inviting any OOSers.

Me neither. Maybe they're like the California schools and give out secondaries to all the Florida residents first before inviting any OOSers.

I can smell this one coming next week. "End of this month"

I'm glad Miami is taking a while. It's nice to have some time to work on the already incredible amount of secondaries I have on my plate currently. So, wait as long as you'd like, Miami! ;)

::::crickets:::::

man this thread is empty. and Miami is weird . . .

like the rest of you i got the email saying 'a decision will be made' regarding whether i get a secondary. and i was also under the impression that their secondary is no longer screened. I know the website is confusing but the most recent info (i thought) was that it wasn't screened. this is especially annoying because if the old screen (3.6+ for OOS) was still in place, i wouldnt have paid the $31 to apply since I obviously would not make the cut. hmmm . . . but i guess i feel a little better that it seems NO ONE has gotten a secondary.

Would someone mind posting the secondary prompts? Thanks!

1. What is your favorite episode of Nip/Tuck and why?
2. If you had to rewrite a verse from "Miami" by Will Smith, which verse would it be. Please drop a sample rhyme.

Just added this school. It sounds like they hate on oosers, but I will apply anyway...

"As a consequence, residents of states other than Florida are encouraged to apply, but only if they have truly superior academic records (>3.6 cumulative GPA) and exceptional (30+) MCAT scores, and have unique qualifications that the Committee on Admissions would find highly desirable."

:scared: scared

1. What is your favorite episode of Nip/Tuck and why?
2. If you had to rewrite a verse from "Miami" by Will Smith, which verse would it be. Please drop a sample rhyme.

hahahah this made me lol

3. In 1500 characters or less, explain why Burn Notice is the best show on television.

4. What are your thoughts on this comic?
CSI+Miami+-+Horatio+-+1.jpg

Study in my dorm with the AC on
All night no sleep cause my beepers on
Welcome to Miami (bienvenido a Miami)
Residents asking what med hes on
Calling up the attendings till the break of dawn
I'm going to Miami

praying for an OOS invite here :)

I'm going to Miami

based on your rhyming abilities, im gonna have to grant you an acceptance. welcome to umiami class of 2014 haha

I'm going to Miami

this should be your essay :thumbup:

Where's my secondary!? They lied to us!

I'm a FL resident, UM undergrad, and still no secondary, so I doubt that's the case

just an FYI, i just emailed the school about an update on my AMCAS and they said that I'd have to include my update in my secondary, which will be sent next week. So looks like they're gonna start sending next week.

still nothing.

thats fine with me, i'm behind on the secondaries i already have. of course i'll be mad if i dont get one at all!! :mad: but getting it in few weeks is more than ok with me . . .

Nothing today...

I'm behind, too. I've submitted 6 so far, and have another 4 that I've received but haven't submitted yet, so Miami can take as long as they like as far as I'm concerned. lol

still nothing.

thats fine with me, i'm behind on the secondaries i already have. of course i'll be mad if i dont get one at all!! :mad: but getting it in few weeks is more than ok with me . . .

Does anyone know if they screen for secondaries?

Thought you guys would want to know - the first round of secondaries have been released.

yep.. I just got my sec.. only 2 weeks to submit it..

good luck to all!

Yep I just got mine. Prompts are why Miami, and what healthcare experience led you to want to study medicine.

anyone know if the character count includes spaces?

This secondary form is weird. The page with the pre-req grid won't let me enter actual course names, it just asks for the year it was taken, the institution, and the grade.

Very strange.

just had to play welcome to miami from will smith when i got this secondary haha

So for their short answer questions...are we supposed to think of something not on our AMCAS app or can we just copy paste? Because I got nothing much else to add.

So if I am OOS and I get a secondary, does that mean anything? At first, i applied not realizing this note on their website.

"As a consequence, residents of states other than Florida are encouraged to apply, but only if they have truly superior academic records (>3.6 cumulative GPA) and exceptional (30+) MCAT scores, and have unique qualifications that the Committee on Admissions would find highly desirable."

Do they screen? Should I still do it? Looks like a great school

Status
Not open for further replies.