2009-2010 University of Miami Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1. "Have you ever been the recipient of any action by a high school, college, university or any other academic institution for conduct violations and/or unacceptable academic performance?"

Is this different from the institutional action question on AMCAS which I already explained on AMCAS (I had an academic warning for not taking full courseload)?. confused about repeating information...

Should I call the admissions office?

Members don't see this ad.

chiming in to say I got the secondary too, i do NOT think they screen- they used to, but in the '2010 updates' or whatever it says they don't. still though, the initial email left me wondering (about how a decision was being made to send a secondary . . . ?)

in any case, i am above their MCAT but below their GPA so we will see how it goes I guess. good luck everyone! :)

For the grades part, it says Organic Chem 2/Biochem. Does that mean we can put either grade if we took both? I got an A in biochem, B in orgo2. Thanks for the help!

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay, so I got the secondary on Friday, and I filled out all the basic, easy stuff and saved it, planning to take the weekend off (which was great, btw -- District 9 was awesome!) and come back to the application today to finish the essays. So today when I log into the application, I get this message:

[SIZE=+1]No terms are currently available.[/SIZE]
You may save data, but you will not be able to submit the application until a term is available.

WTF? Anyone else getting this when they save and come back later?

EDIT: Nevermind. I'm dumb. I followed the wrong link. Haha

Last edited:
called...said to just send them your explanation of the institutional action again.

anyone know how to answer "has your education been continuous since graduation from high school" if you went directly from high school to college but have been out of school since graduation. Does this count as "non continuous"?

thanks...did you ask about the character limit by any chance? that looks like a pretty small space lol.

Just to make sure, UMiami DOESN'T use the AMCAS LOE system so we have to send each letter to them individually?

What I mean is, can they download straight from AMCAS if we've got our LOEs on there?
Thanks!

Just to make sure, UMiami DOESN'T use the AMCAS LOE system so we have to send each letter to them individually?

What I mean is, can they download straight from AMCAS if we've got our LOEs on there?
Thanks!
"This medical school participates in the AMCAS Letters service." from amcas.

Has anyone who e-mailed them their FAP gotten a response yet to submit their application?

The essays are pretty much:
-Name a significant healthcare experience 1875char
-Why Miami 1000char

Is the only way to check your app status to send them an email (according to their application instructions)? I feel this is a very evil way of preventing us from compulsive status checking...

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone who e-mailed them their FAP gotten a response yet to submit their application?

The essays are pretty much:
-Name a significant healthcare experience 1875char
-Why Miami 1000char

I sent my FAP to them yesterday and haven't heard back yet.

Is the only way to check your app status to send them an email (according to their application instructions)? I feel this is a very evil way of preventing us from compulsive status checking...

You can call them - they are pretty helpful.

I called them about the fee waiver today and they said they aren't going to start processing them until Friday.

I called them about the fee waiver today and they said they aren't going to start processing them until Friday.

aww man...i really wanted to be complete by end of this week lol

soooo sorry if this has been answered but are the non-science list stuff like community,travel, etc. supposed to be outside of your AMCAS? Thanks!

soooo sorry if this has been answered but are the non-science list stuff like community,travel, etc. supposed to be outside of your AMCAS? Thanks!

Anything non-science is good, AMCAS stuff included.

So what do I say to:

"Briefly describe the one healthcare experience you have had that most significantly influenced your decision to study medicine. Do not send or simply copy information from your personal statement in your AMCAS application."

where the one thing I have already brought up in my AMCAS...Do I just elaborate on it...?

So what do I say to:

"Briefly describe the one healthcare experience you have had that most significantly influenced your decision to study medicine. Do not send or simply copy information from your personal statement in your AMCAS application."

where the one thing I have already brought up in my AMCAS...Do I just elaborate on it...?

Sure - just dont use stuff from your PS verbatim.

Submitted this bad boy yesterday.

woops posted on wrong school thread *delete

just submitted! :D

How long did you wait before calling to check whether you're complete? Is tomorrow too soon?

just submitted! :D

How long did you wait before calling to check whether you're complete? Is tomorrow too soon?
don't forget about the picture :)

I submitted yesterday and I might call tomorrow....

Do all applicants get to complete a secondary application? No. If you are a Florida resident you must have at least a 3.2 undergraduate GPA. If you are a resident of another state you will need to have a cumulative undergraduate GPA of at least 3.6. All applicants must have a minimum composite MCAT score of at least 24.

This is what it says on their website, and it also states that

My cumulative GPA is only 2.9. Is there still a chance I can get a secondary application from the Miller School of Medicine? There is if you are a Florida resident and have subsequently done post-bac or graduate work (at least 15 credits of either must appear on your AMCAS application) and have a GPA of at least 3.5. Post-bac and graduate work is not considered when sending secondary applications to non-Floridians.

So I am OOS, and I received a secondary, yet my GPA i think does not meet their quals, so does that mean they actually read my application and decided to give me a secondary, i'm a bit confused because people here are saying they don't screen. About what percent gets secondaries? anybody know

don't forget about the picture :)

I submitted yesterday and I might call tomorrow....

on the application site it says you have to email them for status checks, have people been calling?

Do all applicants get to complete a secondary application? No. If you are a Florida resident you must have at least a 3.2 undergraduate GPA. If you are a resident of another state you will need to have a cumulative undergraduate GPA of at least 3.6. All applicants must have a minimum composite MCAT score of at least 24.

My cumulative GPA is only 2.9. Is there still a chance I can get a secondary application from the Miller School of Medicine? There is if you are a Florida resident and have subsequently done post-bac or graduate work (at least 15 credits of either must appear on your AMCAS application) and have a GPA of at least 3.5. Post-bac and graduate work is not considered when sending secondary applications to non-Floridians.

So I am OOS, and I received a secondary, yet my GPA i think does not meet their quals, so does that mean they actually read my application and decided to give me a secondary, i'm a bit confused because people here are saying they don't screen. About what percent gets secondaries? anybody know

all receive secondaries, this is a change for the 2010 cycle. the most up to date info is on the the "changes for 2010" tab on the website http://www6.miami.edu/UMH/CDA/UMH_Main/0,1770,2600-1;14190-2;66095-3,00.html

they just seem to have not updated the rest of their site.

on the application site it says you have to email them for status checks, have people been calling?

Actually there is some sort of status check on the applicant page.... mine says: Payment accepted, data sent - pending confirmation...

Actually there is some sort of status check on the applicant page.... mine says: Payment accepted, data sent - pending confirmation...

yeah i saw that too but it wasn't very helpful haha, mine says the same as yours. i think they gave us the email option b/c we have to send pics in and so we can check on lors

They do not screen for secondary. One of the OOS in our class had below a 3.6 so what they put is just a general guideline, and yes they do need to update their website.

all receive secondaries, this is a change for the 2010 cycle. the most up to date info is on the the "changes for 2010" tab on the website http://www6.miami.edu/UMH/CDA/UMH_Main/0,1770,2600-1;14190-2;66095-3,00.html

they just seem to have not updated the rest of their site.

thanks a lot! Now I have to decide whether to pay or not. Do they accept FAP? I sent them my info, but heard nothing. Going to school in Miami would be nice.

I'm a UM alum and will answer questions you may have about the university from a student perspective. I'll be checking in on this thread every week or so for new questions. What I won't answer:

What are my chances?
How do I improve my chances?
What does the admissions committee mean by ... ?

Sent in FAP info on Friday and got an email back from the telling me what to input so I did not have to pay. Everyone should have gotten emails or should be getting them soon.

I know their e-mail says that you have to mail in LORs, but this school is also listed on AMCAS as a participant in their letter service. What are you guys doing about your letters?

I know their e-mail says that you have to mail in LORs, but this school is also listed on AMCAS as a participant in their letter service. What are you guys doing about your letters?

They go through AMCAS.

Sent in FAP info on Friday and got an email back from the telling me what to input so I did not have to pay. Everyone should have gotten emails or should be getting them soon.

What email address did you send it to you? i sent my last Wednesday and still no response. Did you just forward a copy of the FAP email?

What email address did you send it to you? i sent my last Wednesday and still no response. Did you just forward a copy of the FAP email?

I forwarded my Fee Waiver email to [email protected]. If it means anything I called last Friday and gave them my name, and then they told me to forward the email. Maybe you can call them and then re-send?

I'm a UM alum and will answer questions you may have about the university from a student perspective. I'll be checking in on this thread every week or so for new questions.

Did you attend the main campus? what do you think of the regional campus? what do you think are the advantages/ disadvantages for each campus? all i know is that Boca is a smaller town with a much smaller class. I applied to both because I thought each would be good in its own way.

also can you look at my mdapps and tell me, what are my cha . . . ? just kidding :)

I totally forgot that I didn't submit this secondary yet...:smack:
I'm hoping to churn out the two essays today, but I have a question about the first one. What do they mean by "healthcare experience"?

Does it have to be something I did (ie. volunteer work, research etc...) or can it be something that happened which I observed? I was going to write about a tragic hospital experience one of my family friends went through (that I was there for) but I wasn't sure if that counts as a "healthcare experience" thoughts???

I'm hoping to churn out the two essays today, but I have a question about the first one. What do they mean by "healthcare experience"?

Does it have to be something I did (ie. volunteer work, research etc...) or can it be something that happened which I observed? I was going to write about a tragic hospital experience one of my family friends went through (that I was there for) but I wasn't sure if that counts as a "healthcare experience" thoughts???

better hurry, don't they only give you like 2 weeks to fill it out?

i guess that's a good strategy though. wait until a lot of people have submitted their amcas, unleash the secondaries all at once, and give us two weeks: go!

i guess they must then spend the next couple months sifting through our enormous pile . . . i dont know how anyone finds out their status, lol. i called and the woman couldn't tell me, so I emailed and nothing back with that yet either.

well, good luck everyone! at least we should all start hearing stuff around the same time, right?

No offense but the is one of the worst medical schools on the east coast.
You'll do a lot of your work at Jackson Memorial Hosptial which IMO, is similar to what you would find it some second world country at best. Terrible hosptial to say the least. But if that's the kind of education you want they go for it. One of the surgery Professors is not only incomptent but mentally ill. This school was promising at one time but seems to have grown out of control. At one time, my family was one of the biggest financial contributors to UM, in fact my family built part of this Jackson Mem hosptial. My grandfather would be rolling over in his grave if he knew how it turned out.

Remember UCF just opened a medical school as well. I hope it fairs better than UM.

No offense but the is one of the worst medical schools on the east coast.
You'll do a lot of your work at Jackson Memorial Hosptial which IMO, is similar to what you would find it some second world country at best. Terrible hosptial to say the least. But if that's the kind of education you want they go for it. One of the surgery Professors is not only incomptent but mentally ill. This school was promising at one time but seems to have grown out of control. At one time, my family was one of the biggest financial contributors to UM, in fact my family built part of this Jackson Mem hosptial. My grandfather would be rolling over in his grave if he knew how it turned out.

Remember UCF just opened a medical school as well. I hope it fairs better than UM.

Hi, troll. Can I pet you?

My grandfather would be rolling over in his grave if he knew how it turned out.

perhaps he would also be rolling over in his grave if he knew his grandson was such a dumb ass. :thumbup:

So...any real answers to my question?

Not trying to be mean here, just want some opinions on what I have a question about. But I'll keep the reputation of the school in mind for later.

So...any real answers to my question?

Not trying to be mean here, just want some opinions on what I have a question about. But I'll keep the reputation of the school in mind for later.

maybe you should have included the context of the 'healthcare experience' because we are too lazy to remember/ look up what the actual question is.

if it's the one that asks what led you to want to study medicine . . . i think it would be ok? i mean, it's kind of an odd question- i'd think most people realize they want to go into it first, then get experience second. unless you just happened to be a patient yourself, or whatever. i don't know. i think i said something about when i worked at the hospital. but of course i'd already known at that point i wanted to enter medicine, which is why i applied for the job in the first place . . . but i described it as the experience that kinda crystallized it for me i guess

Hi, troll. Can I pet you?
LOL And what's that I see as your Avatar? Classy. Tell me you're not going to medical school?,

perhaps he would also be rolling over in his grave if he knew his grandson was such a dumb ass. :thumbup:
Yeah, no I'm more certain he would be rolling over in his grave because a UM surgeon botched my surgery so bad that there is no hope for recovery. And that he abandoned me post surgery, and that he examined my in thethe middle of a OB/GYM waiting room. Need any more examples of my wonderful care there? If this particular surgeon is an sample of what UM has, God god, scary and they shouldn't be educating future physicians that's for sure. Oh but I had an outstanding 3rd year resident so perhaps there is some hope for this place.

Yes, I talked to a MPH who did his residency there and he couldn't wait to get out. Told me a few stories about the lovely care in their ER.

Last edited:

I've called them to ask, and they say it could be anything healthcare related. Your personal experience, your family/friend/relative's experience, or your experience working in healthcare, doesn't matter.

Is there anything on the website about research opportunities and/or community service? it seems there is nothing specific and I've tried to search everywhere. I know its a big research university, but what about the opportunities for med students to get involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.