2009-2010 Morehouse School of Medicine Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shemarty

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
PROMPT

Briefly, explain the reasons for your selections in item #12: [item 12 asks applicants to select what area of medicine they are interested in and what setting they wish to practice in]

14. Type a statement setting forth the key motivational factors in your decision to apply to Morehouse and any information about yourself you feel would be of interest to the Committee on Admission in the consideration of your application. Please keep the response to about one page. (You may want to type your answer in a Word Processor while you are off-line and paste your response here)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi all! I recently received my secondary from Morehouse, and I have three quick questions about their recommendation letters that I hope someone might know the answers to. 1. Is there a specific form that Morehouse has for reference writers to fill? 2. Is there a waiver form for us to sign waiving our rights to read the letters or is such a form not required? 3. Should we send our letters to their admissions office or directly to AMCAS?

Thanks everyone!

I got one too. so glad i got pass their screening.

Members don't see this ad :)
Got my secondary and sent it out within 90 minutes,

To answer someone's question, Morehouse is on the AMCAS LOR system so send your LORs to AMCAS if you haven't already.

And to the person who was worried about getting past the screening I am a hate to burst your bubble the the screen for Morehouse is a very low bar indeed.

The average person accepted to Morehouse has a 26 MCAT and 3.29 GPA.

The screening minimum for schools like U of Wisconsin, who have average MCATs of 30 and GPA of 3.7 or so is only 22 MCAT and 2.8 GPA.

Some state universities even set the GPA minimum at 2.5.

For a school like Morehouse it may be even lower.

So don't think that a secondary from them is indicative of how strong your application is, more like their standards are so low that almost everyone qualifies for a secondary.

To those of you who have received the secondary, would you mind posting the essay questions (if there are any)? I'd like to get a head start while I'm waiting to be verified. Thanks!

14. Type a statement setting forth the key motivational factors in your decision to apply to Morehouse and any information about yourself you feel would be of interest to the Committee on Admission in the consideration of your application. Please keep the response to about one page. (You may want to type your answer in a Word Processor while you are off-line and paste your response here)

quick questions...as far at the % part goes...how much time do you expect to spend doing this and that...how do we even estimate? ask a practicing physician?

also, in the description part are people going to write their story about how they decided they wanted what they want to do? is it another essay basically?

ALSO, as far as the actual essay, is it one page single spaced? or double? i wish they would give character limits on this kind of stuff!

Got my secondary and sent it out within 90 minutes,

To answer someone's question, Morehouse is on the AMCAS LOR system so send your LORs to AMCAS if you haven't already.

And to the person who was worried about getting past the screening I am a hate to burst your bubble the the screen for Morehouse is a very low bar indeed.

The average person accepted to Morehouse has a 26 MCAT and 3.29 GPA.

The screening minimum for schools like U of Wisconsin, who have average MCATs of 30 and GPA of 3.7 or so is only 22 MCAT and 2.8 GPA.

Some state universities even set the GPA minimum at 2.5.

For a school like Morehouse it may be even lower.

So don't think that a secondary from them is indicative of how strong your application is, more like their standards are so low that almost everyone qualifies for a secondary.

Don't you think I know that. I was afraid of them screening me out b/c i'm not AA.

quick questions...as far at the % part goes...how much time do you expect to spend doing this and that...how do we even estimate? ask a practicing physician?

also, in the description part are people going to write their story about how they decided they wanted what they want to do? is it another essay basically?

ALSO, as far as the actual essay, is it one page single spaced? or double? i wish they would give character limits on this kind of stuff!

I believe single space. no character limit = bad b/c we have to worry about not putting too much to where it'll overwhelm the adcoms.

I believe single space. no character limit = bad b/c we have to worry about not putting too much to where it'll overwhelm the adcoms.

My issue won't be putting too much haha...I am getting so used to writing half page essays +/- that I feel like a page is way too much! haha...i just wrote about half of a page and I am hoping it is sufficient...i can't imagine writing double what i just wrote...

anybody write a whole page?

I also recieved my secondary. I should have it sent out tomorrow. I applied EDP, anyone else? Hopefully, my app. will be comeptitive enough.

How did people answer this question?

I have no idea what to say here. :laugh: :(

i past the 2 week on this one and have yet to start this one :p

Members don't see this ad :)
How did people answer this question?

I have no idea what to say here. :laugh: :(

I answered this question based upon what I would prefer...I placed the majority of my time in patient care and the least in administration (although I am sure many physicians spend much more time on administrative duties than they would like).

is morehouse predominantly african american

also what are the avg GPA/MCAT for this school

I had a conversation this weekend with an Morehouse EDP applicant, and he/she made an interesting comment, about which I have a question:

When someone is placed on the waitlist for the 2010 matriculation year, are they eligible to also be pulled from this list for the 2011 year? My understanding is that each year, at all schools, new cycle = clean slate. Has anyone heard of them using old waitlists to recruit their current class?

just got an interview invite! good luck to all.

congrats Jolt21. When were you complete? and are you IS or OOS?

hey quick question for everyone applying to Morehouse:

For anyone that received a secondary or interview invite, what state are you guys from?? I am under the impression that theysend secondaries/interview to GA residents...or people with close ties to the state?? Thanks for the replies..

just got an interview invite! good luck to all.

congrats!!!!! are you in-state and AA?

hey quick question for everyone applying to Morehouse:

For anyone that received a secondary or interview invite, what state are you guys from?? I am under the impression that theysend secondaries/interview to GA residents...or people with close ties to the state?? Thanks for the replies..

I'm out of state and I got one. I'm not AA either.

i'm OOS. was complete...today actually. complete 8/13, interview invite 8/13. 5 hours later.

i'm OOS. was complete...today actually. complete 8/13, interview invite 8/13. 5 hours later.

nice! congrats! do they take long to complete you?

how big are they on being aa? any non-aa got an interview yet?

I don't know how I missed it but I submitted my secondary on July 13 and realized yesterday that I was supposed to mail in a photo! I received an e-mail August 6, however, marking me complete? Did you guys send in photos? I'm going to send mine right away. I'm so frustrated that I sat on this for a month!

I don't know how I missed it but I submitted my secondary on July 13 and realized yesterday that I was supposed to mail in a photo! I received an e-mail August 6, however, marking me complete? Did you guys send in photos? I'm going to send mine right away. I'm so frustrated that I sat on this for a month!

I was complete a month ago and have yet to hear anything and I applied EDP. Getting worried...

i sent my picture yesterday morning. i doubt it got there in 6 hours. i got the complete e-mail before i sent it off. so i think the picture is just for their records.

I don't remember sending a picture. Where would I see that I should send a picture?

I don't remember sending a picture. Where would I see that I should send a picture?
on their secondary page, in the instructions they talk about it. and there is a form.

on their secondary page, in the instructions they talk about it. and there is a form.

Wait, this was a digital picture submission right? I think I did turn that in. I thought we were talking about mailing a picture.

Wait, this was a digital picture submission right? I think I did turn that in. I thought we were talking about mailing a picture.
i didn't see a way to submit it digitally. i mailed it in. if there was a way, then that works too

there is a form that you should print out and attach your picture there and snail mail it to them.

there is a form that you should print out and attach your picture there and snail mail it to them.

I think I'm going crazy. I remember attaching pictures to forms a couple times and mailing them in, but I'm not sure if it was for Morehouse or not. Would I be considered completed if they didn't receive my picture? :confused:

I mean, I feel like that's something I wouldn't have forgotten. I guess I'll e-mail them and see what they say.

EDIT: Actually, I'm just going to send in another picture. If I already sent it in, well then they'll have two lovely pictures of me. haha

Last edited:
I think I'm going crazy. I remember attaching pictures to forms a couple times and mailing them in, but I'm not sure if it was for Morehouse or not. Would I be considered completed if they didn't receive my picture? :confused:

I mean, I feel like that's something I wouldn't have forgotten. I guess I'll e-mail them and see what they say.

EDIT: Actually, I'm just going to send in another picture. If I already sent it in, well then they'll have two lovely pictures of me. haha
haha. judging by your responses, it looks like you forgot. yea, just send one in anyway.

haha. judging by your responses, it looks like you forgot. yea, just send one in anyway.

:laugh: I suppose so. Though, I received a complete e-mail a couple days ago even though the picture form says I won't be complete until the picture is in. :confused:

:laugh: I suppose so. Though, I received a complete e-mail a couple days ago even though the picture form says I won't be complete until the picture is in. :confused:
they said i was complete too although i didn't send it in yet.

Can someone PM me the secondary prompt, if there is one? I need to update it on the first post.

Just got an interview invite for October. I am so excited:). God is great!

hey how soon after your AMCAS was verified did you guys get the secondary application? i was verified tuesday and still havent received any confirmation or anything

hey how soon after your AMCAS was verified did you guys get the secondary application? i was verified tuesday and still havent received any confirmation or anything

About a week or two...can't remember exactly, but it wasn't quick (at least for me). Also, I have been complete for about a month and still haven't heard anything about an interview and I applied EDP.

About a week or two...can't remember exactly, but it wasn't quick (at least for me). Also, I have been complete for about a month and still haven't heard anything about an interview and I applied EDP.

oh wow that stinks..i really want to get this 2nd-ary done before i go back to school

oh wow that stinks..i really want to get this 2nd-ary done before i go back to school

Got one yesterday as well, 10/9.
I am white, GA resident.
Yes, I sent in my picture. :)

Got one yesterday as well, 10/9.
I am white, GA resident.
Yes, I sent in my picture. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.