2009-2010 University of Oklahoma Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shemarty

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
PROMPT

If you are a nonresident of Oklahoma but have close ties to our state, please indicate below and document these ties in the space provided. Only nonresidents with ties are required to complete this portion of the supplemental application. (Examples: born in OK, attended school in OK, family living in OK)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Other people have posted so I might as well! Application submitted and verified on 6/2. We'll see how long it take for a secondary! Hopefully with an 11.94 OU score, I can get an interview.

Props for my Undergrad!

BTW what is an "11.94 OU score"? I go there and I haven't the foggiest what that is...

Members don't see this ad :)
OU has a formula to determine if you get interviewed:

((MCAT Average) + (GPA * 3.75))/2 = Score

IE mine:
((9) + (3.97 * 3.75))/2 = Score
((9) + (14.89))/2 = 11.94

Last year, if you had above a 11.50 and were instate, you got an interview. Applicants were ordered based on this score and then chosen from the top down.

OU has a formula to determine if you get interviewed:

((MCAT Average) + (GPA * 3.75))/2 = Score

IE mine:
((9) + (3.97 * 3.75))/2 = Score
((9) + (14.89))/2 = 11.94

Last year, if you had above a 11.50 and were instate, you got an interview. Applicants were ordered based on this score and then chosen from the top down.

Wow... Doesn't surprise me that they would do that. Applying there for undergrad was completely numbers based, so determining interviews based on a formula is right up their alley.

Hey I'm an oos student at UCO and was wondering if getting my degree here would help in applying to OU med, or would it just be the same if I went to an oos school.

Hey I'm an oos student at UCO and was wondering if getting my degree here would help in applying to OU med, or would it just be the same if I went to an oos school.
I think it will help some because then you have a tie to the state, but it will still be really hard to get in because you are still OOS. I'm just a pre-med too though so I don't know for sure.

I think it will help some because then you have a tie to the state, but it will still be really hard to get in because you are still OOS. I'm just a pre-med too though so I don't know for sure.

do you think a 12.5 OU score from OOS with state ties would get an interview?

depends on the strength of the in state ties. OU is really big on keeping their students in state once they graduate and if you dont have strong ties, they tend to pass you over.

Otherwise, the score is awesome. But I dont know of the OOS OU score average.

do you think a 12.5 OU score from OOS with state ties would get an interview?
I think you have a good shot, but it would be crazy to pay OOS tuition at OU if you get into one of the Texas schools--and I would be surprised if you didn't get into one of them.

My AMCAS application was verified today and sent to OU. Does anyone know how long it usually takes for OU to receive it and before they will send the supplemental application?

I don't think just the degree from an OK college is enough. You'll need a stronger tie, family, sig other, something that makes adcom believe you are likely to stay in OK after med school.

To the TX applicant, OU is a great school, but unless you have an extremely compelling reason to come to Oklahoma the previous poster is right about tuition TX instate ($11k) vs OK oos ($51k). You're talking a difference of $160k in student debt over 4 years.

Members don't see this ad :)
My AMCAS application was verified today and sent to OU. Does anyone know how long it usually takes for OU to receive it and before they will send the supplemental application?

It is usually pretty fast , automated type of thing that consist of a simple name address type thing and a check for 65$. When I applied last year it was only like a week later.

My app has been verified since 6/2 and still waiting for word from OU.

Bump, hows things goin for us okies?

OOS with a 12.8 score, with state ties (OSSM grad). Hope it works out.

Spoke with OU admissions today, supplemental app will not be available til end of July or beginning of August.

Bump, whats everyone up to?

Just doing some research, then heading back up to norman 2nd week of august...

bump again... OU is taking forever on getting secondary out....

Kind of like my committee letter! I swear, they take forever on EVERYTHING.

is that when they said the committee letters would finally start posting?? last i talked to nancy she said she had no idea...

is that when they said the committee letters would finally start posting?? last i talked to nancy she said she had no idea...

I've been e-mailing her pretty regularly now and she keeps saying, "When I have time." Originally she said last week for mine, but that didn't happen. So I'm still waiting. I'm getting anxious because I've already had one interview and have an invite for another, I don't want to be late in applying or getting accepted just because of my letter, over which I have 0 control! But it's probably just me stressing out...

Is there an extra essay OOS people with ties have to write? How long is this essay supposed to be?

Is there an extra essay OOS people with ties have to write? How long is this essay supposed to be?

Secondary application isn't out yet so nobody knows... ;)

I've been e-mailing her pretty regularly now and she keeps saying, "When I have time." Originally she said last week for mine, but that didn't happen. So I'm still waiting. I'm getting anxious because I've already had one interview and have an invite for another, I don't want to be late in applying or getting accepted just because of my letter, over which I have 0 control! But it's probably just me stressing out...

when was your interview?

It's August 1 and no supplemental Application! Less than a month to receive, complete, and return. Not to mention verifying OU has everything correct in the file. Crunch time!

Hopefully it will be out tomorrow seeing as today isn't a "business day." I am complete at all my other schools, but they all say they arn't going to start screening complete applications for a few more weeks or so.... Just waiting on OU to get on the ball.

still not up today...

Still no email for me, anyone?

I emailed Dotty and was told an additional 7-10 days as of yesterday... Sigh. OU is far behind the ball.

I emailed Dotty and was told an additional 7-10 days as of yesterday... Sigh. OU is far behind the ball.

They're going to get swarmed with applications once they finally send out the secondary. :eek:

Hoping that itll be out next week... waiting... hoping...

From the information in last year applicant posts, there is no essay questions in the secondary. Getting out late won't be too much of a problem if there are no essay questions. Crossing my fingers.

From the information in last year applicant posts, there is no essay questions in the secondary. Getting out late won't be too much of a problem if there are no essay questions. Crossing my fingers.

Tis true, the secondary does not have any essay questions. You will be able to fill it out and submit it the same day that you get it.

I know everyone is gung ho about getting their applications done ASAP, but you don't really have to worry about it as much as you think. Right now, the only date that you need to focus on is the Sept 1 (is it still the same?) early app deadline. As long as you have all of your stuff in at that point, you will be eligible to get a first round interview in Oct. As far as I know, the completion date of your application has a lot less influence on getting an interview than the magical MCAT+GPA calculation that admissions uses.

Got emailed the supplemental application this morning, no essays so that's good.

Just submitted mine...

Submitted mine, just a waiting game now.

Submitted mine. Got the email on my phone this morning and just walked through the door about 30 minutes ago.... Should be complete at all my schools now! whew

Last edited:
Does OU send out complete e-mails?

Does OU send out complete e-mails?

No they will not. I emailed OU and they responded by saying that you should be able to see your status by looking at AMCAS for the application and LOR page, along with the secondary being online there is no reason for a complete email. I think it would be nice if they would.

okay... well if I could get on AMCAS since they dont support firefox 3.5 or IE 8.... sigh...

okay... well if I could get on AMCAS since they dont support firefox 3.5 or IE 8.... sigh...

Same thing happened to me, just downloaded firefox 3.0 and will upgrade it after application cycle. If you had previously seen your LOR had arrived and the application was sent to the school, then there is no reason to recheck it.

oh okay then, well thats all done. I used IE7 at the school today lol. So i guess since my secondary is done, i should consider myself all complete?

Well, now its just waiting till the end of September...

I think the days are going by slower than the days between MCAT test and score release! Is there really this few of applicants to OU on SDN?

Status
Not open for further replies.