spinoff - anyone definitely NOT the typical premed (ie social, partier)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
SMP, for reasons that are obvious. gpa is my own doing so i don't pity myself too much. oh well. such is life.

You know what you have to do though. And you have a killer MCAT for when you finish. You know you can do it too, better to save your money by not testing the application cycle and going into something that will give you better chances (although SMP's are quite expensive). I'm sure you will make the most of it.

Members don't see this ad.

Well I am curious as to his situation because who knows I may be in the same situation at one point. And Oh please, because I'm realistic I am a douche-bag? Come on. I'm not gonna sit here and be fake with you guys. If you all truly think I'm a douche-bag that's fine. I again could not care any less about what some students on an on-line forum think about me.

This is creating a false dichotomy. I either say everything that is on my mind OR I lie.

You have a lot to learn dude. And this idea that you can say everything you believe OR lie is an attempt to defend your ego more than a belief in that philosophy.

exactly. If you meet a guy and you think his wife is ugly, do you say "nice body but she has an ugly face. didn't want to say but it's true, I can't lie because I'm a Christian."

hint: not socially friendly outside your college parties.

hint: not socially friendly with people online on forums, and probably not with most of the pre-meds at my school. hopefully the kids in my med-school class are different than those at my undergrad, if not i will just have to party with the undergrads maybe? or i'll have to adapt my douchey ways.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow oakland you are a complete douche.

I love how your religion, which I'm sure you would claim is very important to you, has absolutely no effect on your behavior. It must mean a lot to you.

Good luck people. I hope you guys can talk some sense into him.

It may be a lost cause, a lost internet cause so I'm done with it.

You know what you have to do though. And you have a killer MCAT for when you finish. You know you can do it too, better to save your money by not testing the application cycle and going into something that will give you better chances (although SMP's are quite expensive). I'm sure you will make the most of it.
that's the way i look at it.

hint: not socially friendly with people online on forums, and probably not with most of the pre-meds at my school. hopefully the kids in my med-school class are different than those at my undergrad, if not i will just have to party with the undergrads maybe? or i'll have to adapt my douchey ways.

We're all pulling for you! :thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown:

:smack:

This is creating a false dichotomy. I either say everything that is on my mind OR I lie.

You have a lot to learn dude. And this idea that you can say everything you believe OR lie is an attempt to defend your ego more than a belief in that philosophy.

Dude it's not defending my ego. I respect bleargh no matter what his scores are. He is formidable and very very intelligent. I would do some really unchristian things to get his MCAT score and I mean that with complete humor. Because I stated that his GPA is not the most ideal and that I was curious of his situation means I'm a douchebag? If that is so then I will be the biggest douchebag on here. I don't actually care. I don't actually say everything that comes to my mind. I don't think that I say those things to not lie, I was just defending my religion because you brought it up. If I had never mentioned my religion in another thread, what would be your argument? You're being a bad biochem major?

Well I am curious as to his situation because who knows I may be in the same situation at one point. And Oh please, because I'm realistic I am a douche-bag? Come on. I'm not gonna sit here and be fake with you guys. If you all truly think I'm a douche-bag that's fine. I again could not care any less about what some students on an on-line forum think about me.

No; because you seem to lack the social cognition of knowing when complete honesty isn't called for is what makes you seem like a douchebag.

Wow oakland you are a complete douche.

I love how your religion, which I'm sure you would claim is very important to you, has absolutely no effect on your behavior. It must mean a lot to you.

............. Lets assume it doesn't. Now what?

No; because you seem to lack the social cognition of knowing when complete honesty isn't called for is what makes you seem like a douchebag.

I thought we have already come to the conclusion that I am a douchebag? Are we backtracking?

Dude it's not defending my ego. I respect bleargh no matter what his scores are. He is formidable and very very intelligent. I would do some really unchristian things to get his MCAT score and I mean that with complete humor. Because I stated that his GPA is not the most ideal and that I was curious of his situation means I'm a douchebag? If that is so then I will be the biggest douchebag on here. I don't actually care. I don't actually say everything that comes to my mind. I don't think that I say those things to not lie, I was just defending my religion because you brought it up. If I had never mentioned my religion in another thread, what would be your argument? You're being a bad biochem major?

Apparently you hold your religion in about as high esteem as your major. If your religion has zero impact on your behavior, what's the point? Isn't it supposed to help guide your decisions?

Members don't see this ad :)
............. Lets assume it doesn't. Now what?

Then your faith is pointless. There's no difference between you and an unbeliever in a practical sense. I thought Christians were supposed to make the world a better place. Or is it all just about getting to Heaven?

i don't think this would be true if my MCAT were, say, 21.

You make me seem like an insignificant fool on a regular basis. That is respectable, especially because I view myself so highly (according to everyone on here arguing with me). But lets just say your MCAT does play a role how I view you, probably not more than it should. It's a respectable accomplishment. If I had a 21 MCAT I wouldn't be very credible to give people advice on the MCAT would I?

There's a lady who's sure
All that glitters is gold
And she's buying a stairway...

Then your faith is pointless. There's no difference between you and an unbeliever in a practical sense. I thought Christians were supposed to make the world a better place. Or is it all just about getting to Heaven?

So one behavior, or one view makes the world a worse place? And makes my faith pointless? No. We can all find ourselves to have a way, belief, ideal, or philosophy that is different than the majority, especially the majority on an online pre-medical forum...

You make me seem like an insignificant fool on a regular basis. That is respectable, especially because I view myself so highly (according to everyone on here arguing with me). But lets just say your MCAT does play a role how I view you, probably not more than it should. It's a respectable accomplishment. If I had a 21 MCAT I wouldn't be very credible to give people advice on the MCAT would I?
tons of others put you down as well yet they don't seem to be accorded similar respect?

So one behavior, or one view makes the world a worse place? And makes my faith pointless? No. We can all find ourselves to have a way, belief, ideal, or philosophy that is different than the majority, especially the majority on an online pre-medical forum...

Have you never seen The Butterfly Effect? It'll change your life, man.

What the heck are you talking about?

Your behavior affects the lives of others. You can make the world a worse place for the people around you, or you can make it a better place. Your faith apparently has no bearing on this decision.

Answer me this: are you a Christian merely because you think you'd go to hell if you weren't one?

tons of others put you down as well yet they don't seem to be accorded similar respect?

I respect them. Although I have lost respect when someone brings up my religion and tries to relate that to how I post in a forum, or how I view those around me when none of you know the people around me. I feel as though many of you would have similar views to mine if spending one weekend at my university. Not many of them are in the same situation as you. Therefore, I don't bring up there situation (in an apparently douchebag type of way) and don't ask them about it. Mainly because many of them have MDApps and/or uninteresting situations. i.e. 38+ MCATS with 3.9+'s. Or average statistics that are uninteresting.

What the heck are you talking about?

Your behavior affects the lives of others. You can make the world a worse place for the people around you, or you can make it a better place. Your faith apparently has no bearing on this decision.

Answer me this: are you a Christian merely because you think you'd go to hell if you weren't one?

I'm a Christian because of how God affects my life every single day. I do not believe I would be in the same circumstances or position I am in today if I did not have a relationship with Jesus Christ.

Edit: And even if I were only a Christian because I didn't want to go to hell or because it makes my parents pay for stuff, it wouldn't matter because the Bible says believe and you will be saved, you and your household. That is what it says, don't blame me for Acts 16:31. And you cannot lose your salvation as someone already has alluded to.

I respect them. Although I have lost respect when someone brings up my religion and tries to relate that to how I post in a forum, or how I view those around me when none of you know the people around me. I feel as though many of you would have similar views to mine if spending one weekend at my university. Not many of them are in the same situation as you. Therefore, I don't bring up there situation (in an apparently douchebag type of way) and don't ask them about it. Mainly because many of them have MDApps and/or uninteresting situations. i.e. 38+ MCATS with 3.9+'s. Or average statistics that are uninteresting.
i've brought up your religion and related it to your posts, but that truly is neither here nor there. perhaps you are correct in saying a lot of us would share your opinions, or maybe share a laugh or two about the "losers" that surround us. that still would not make that the correct thing to do, and i have a feeling most of us would be much more reserved in our judgement. or maybe not, who knows.

I'm a Christian because of how God affects my life every single day. I do not believe I would be in the same circumstances or position I am in today if I did not have a relationship with Jesus Christ.

But you're a jerk. God and Jesus ain't keeping you from your arrogance and vanity.

OR....

Do you see God as blessing you? Is that the point of the relationship? You believe in God and through the relationship you have with him and Jesus you get blessed? Is that it? Because either way, you are giving off the vibe that you view yourself as superior to a lot of other people.

But you're a jerk. God and Jesus ain't keeping you from your arrogance and vanity.

OR....

Do you see God as blessing you? Is that the point of the relationship? You believe in God and through the relationship you have with him and Jesus you get blessed? Is that it? Because either way, you are giving off the vibe that you view yourself as superior to a lot of other people.

That is quite the assumption. You do not know me. I do not appreciate being called a jerk, and know that I do not take kindly to that. I repeat, you do not know me. How many volunteer hours make up for a few posts online? (Not saying they do, but you still don't know me).

I am not superior to anyone. I am an equal. I am different, I have aspects of me that may be superior to you (maybe height, or charisma), and you have aspects greater than some of mine (maybe you're a "better Christian" than me or something). If I come off that way, I again apologize.

As for my Christianity. There is too much to explain about my relationship with Jesus Christ for me to care enough about you guys to write about. (Sorry, there are things I need to work on, such as being caring). That being said, some of these things are believing in the Bible and figuring that it makes the most sense to me out of everything else that is out there, understanding God's affect on my life, wanting to go to heaven, and the way I was brought up.

I am a douchebag

The other pre-meds are mainly losers and unattractive geeky kids.

The ones who aren't complete losers are still pretty weird and are really dumb.

it's just impending doom when they actually go to apply to medical schools.

It's funny when you meet a ditsy pre-med girl talking about med-school flaunting her 27 on the MCAT, even the ugly pre-meds who you would assume would be studious usually have a 26-28 MCAT score and you just sigh when talking to them.

but you meet these people and they study all day which affects their social skills, and don't even put up the scores to show for their studying.

Ugh where are the cool intelligent people hiding?

As for my Christianity. There is too much to explain about my relationship with Jesus Christ for me to care enough about you guys to write about.

True or False: All the statements above are from the same person.

:wtf:

i've brought up your religion and related it to your posts, but that truly is neither here nor there. perhaps you are correct in saying a lot of us would share your opinions, or maybe share a laugh or two about the "losers" that surround us. that still would not make that the correct thing to do, and i have a feeling most of us would be much more reserved in our judgement. or maybe not, who knows.

Have I lost respect for you? Yes. Do I still have some respect for you? Yes. Put yourself in my shoes and then try to withhold your thoughts of the people around you. Literally, come to my university and spend a day with me then decide.

Ugggh I hate these types of threads where someone gets on their high horse and talks about how interesting they are or how they party and do all this social stuff and no other premed they have ever met does anything social, they just sit in the library all day and play dungeons and dragons.

It gets old. Seriously, look at medical students. Many of them are fascinating people with all kinds of life experiences. Maybe it varies by undergrad school, but I have never met any of these "stereotypical" premeds who are so "boring" or whatever. In fact, most premeds at my school are so social that many of them aren't even premed anymore because they couldn't balance the work and the fun.

True or False: All the statements above are from the same person.

:wtf:

True. :D

True or false: Could I have been sarcastic referring to myself as a douchebag?

True or false: Can a person say something bad about people once on a forum and still be a Christian?

True or false: Are you the type of person that oaklandguy would call awkward, unsociable, etc?

Have I lost respect for you? Yes. Do I still have some respect for you? Yes. Put yourself in my shoes and then try to withhold your thoughts of the people around you. Literally, come to my university and spend a day with me then decide.
there are "dumb" or "ugly" or "loser" people all over the place. sometimes, once you get to know them, they're not so dumb or ugly or loserish. this takes time to understand. hell, i'm not even close to 100% there. but you seriously need to tone yourself down. not for anyone else's sake but your own.

Ugggh I hate these types of threads where someone gets on their high horse and talks about how interesting they are or how they party and do all this social stuff and no other premed they have ever met does anything social, they just sit in the library all day and play dungeons and dragons.

It gets old. Seriously, look at medical students. Many of them are fascinating people with all kinds of life experiences. Maybe it varies by undergrad school, but I have never met any of these "stereotypical" premeds who are so "boring" or whatever. In fact, most premeds at my school are so social that many of them aren't even premed anymore because they couldn't balance the work and the fun.

I really hope what you say in your second paragraph about medical school students is true.

True. :D

True or false: Could I have been sarcastic referring to myself as a douchebag?

True or false: Can a person say something bad about people once on a forum and still be a Christian?

True or false: Are you the type of person that oaklandguy would call awkward, unsociable, etc?
it's not once.

That is quite the assumption. You do not know me. I do not appreciate being called a jerk, and know that I do not take kindly to that. I repeat, you do not know me. How many volunteer hours make up for a few posts online? (Not saying they do, but you still don't know me).

Fair enough. I don't know you. But in all honesty, if you are 1% as annoying in real life as you are on SDN, I don't believe I could stand you. People often feel free to let loose in online discussions, so in a way it's sometimes more telling of a person's true personality online because social conventions are stripped away.

I am not superior to anyone. I am an equal. I am different, I have aspects of me that may be superior to you (maybe height, or charisma), and you have aspects greater than some of mine (maybe you're a "better Christian" than me or something). If I come off that way, I again apologize.

Well just the whole thing where you called a bunch of your classmates unattractive and dumb has me wondering...and how harshly you talked about your bleargh's stats was just flat-out embarrassing to read. You really have no other way to compliment his MCAT score without saying something derogatory about something else about him? Once again, very telling of who you are.

As for my Christianity. There is too much to explain about my relationship with Jesus Christ for me to care enough about you guys to write about. (Sorry, there are things I need to work on, such as being caring). That being said, some of these things are believing in the Bible and figuring that it makes the most sense to me out of everything else that is out there, understanding God's affect on my life, wanting to go to heaven, and the way I was brought up.

The problem isn't that you make mistakes. Everyone does. But the fact that you justify your inflammatory comments by claiming it's not a conflict with your faith is absurd. You certainly aren't trying very hard. To me, your faith looks like a "get out of jail free" card. That may seem harsh, but it's how your theology presents itself. You are an extreme fundamentalist (judging by your views on evolution among other things) and I think you would be better off you distanced yourself from your extremely hard-lined upbringing. I did and it has worked wonders for my behavior, my appreciation of mankind, and my motivations for the things I do.

Oaklandguy: As someone who goes to OU I am greatly offended by your disparaging comments towards both OU, its faculty, and its students, not just in this post but in others as well.

You should ask around OU and you'll quickly understand that many students have close to 4.0 GPAs and >30 MCAT scores and get into prestigious medical schools. As for the students you mentioned, they are still highly competitive at DO schools and can compete at MD schools, especially the MI schools. Your comments are unjust and unfounded.

Just because you are on SDN does not mean your anonymity exists. Many OU students use this site albeit a bit more anonymously than you.

there are "dumb" or "ugly" or "loser" people all over the place. sometimes, once you get to know them, they're not so dumb or ugly or loserish. this takes time to understand. hell, i'm not even close to 100% there. but you seriously need to tone yourself down. not for anyone else's sake but your own.

Understandable. But you probably go to a school where you have a lot larger of a selection to choose from. Unfortunately there is not an immensely large number of pre-med students to choose from. The worst is how many students that cheat. But that is a complete different flame war. It's just when your dealing with a limited amount of people, most of which... (I'll stop there). And trust me, I take the time to get to know these people, I see them everyday in class, in lab, in the library, at parties. It's a small commuter college. Again though, I cannot assume how you would react and now have somewhat of an understanding that my claims of these people may have been quite irrational and somewhat unjust do to the religion I claim.

For future reference, if everytime I post I have to go through the Christianity filter, I will only post on giving those advice who need it and stop posting my opinion on issues. If that would be for the betterment for the SDN community I am all for it.

Fair enough. I don't know you. But in all honesty, if you are 1% as annoying in real life as you are on SDN, I don't believe I could stand you. People often feel free to let loose in online discussions, so in a way it's sometimes more telling of a person's true personality online because social conventions are stripped away.

Well just the whole thing where you called a bunch of your classmates unattractive and dumb has me wondering...and how harshly you talked about your bleargh's stats was just flat-out embarrassing to read. You really have no other way to compliment his MCAT score without saying something derogatory about something else about him? Once again, very telling of who you are.

The problem isn't that you make mistakes. Everyone does. But the fact that you justify your inflammatory comments by claiming it's not a conflict with your faith is absurd. You certainly aren't trying very hard. To me, your faith looks like a "get out of jail free" card. That may seem harsh, but it's how your theology presents itself. You are an extreme fundamentalist (judging by your views on evolution among other things) and I think you would be better off you distanced yourself from your extremely hard-lined upbringing. I did and it has worked wonders for my behavior, my appreciation of mankind, and my motivations for the things I do.

Just for the record you have an awesome MCAT with an amazing GPA. Again, I call it like I see it.

Oaklandguy: As someone who goes to OU I am greatly offended by your disparaging comments towards both OU, its faculty, and its students, not just in this post but in others as well.

You should ask around OU and you'll quickly understand that many students have close to 4.0 GPAs and >30 MCAT scores and get into prestigious medical schools. As for the students you mentioned, they are still highly competitive at DO schools and can compete at MD schools, especially the MI schools. Your comments are unjust and unfounded.

Just because you are on SDN does not mean your anonymity exists. Many OU students use this site albeit a bit more anonymously than you.

Ouch. Faculty? I have never undermined OU's faculty. It's administration on the other hand? The faculty even hates the administration. Again, that was a different thread. The students, you probably know more than I do, but I have yet to meet any pre-med students with the stunning statistics you are stating who have seem to be sociable. The way I went about saying it may have been harsh and demeaning and I apologize for this, for the 5th time now? My anonymity is not a problem, I stand by everything I say, and I highly doubt you would know who I am if you ever saw me. And if you did please say something to me.

Important update, stop everything. Oakland guy has an announcement:

actual quote from slightly earlier.

Couldn't have been sarcasm. No way, and I love how you don't quote it in context.

Understandable. But you probably go to a school where you have a lot larger of a selection to choose from. Unfortunately there is not an immensely large number of pre-med students to choose from. The worst is how many students that cheat. But that is a complete different flame war. It's just when your dealing with a limited amount of people, most of which... (I'll stop there). And trust me, I take the time to get to know these people, I see them everyday in class, in lab, in the library, at parties. It's a small commuter college. Again though, I cannot assume how you would react and now have somewhat of an understanding that my claims of these people may have been quite irrational and somewhat unjust do to the religion I claim.

For future reference, if everytime I post I have to go through the Christianity filter, I will only post on giving those advice who need it and stop posting my opinion on issues. If that would be for the betterment for the SDN community I am all for it.
sorry dude, but news for you people are mostly the same. when i was in high school i thought everyone in college would be sooo much smarter and cooler than these losers, and they'll be awesome just like me. then i got to college and was completely deflated. then i realized halfway that it's not them it's me.

you can post your opinions as much as you want. i encourage you to, so that hopefully, eventually, your corners get rounded out by the blast of public opinion and you become a positive asset to society.

it's not once.

Well, I personally don't recall saying something bad about a group of people more than once, but lets say multiple times. Lets say 50 times. Does that destroy their religious foundation?

This thread obviously has no hope of becoming a place for substantial conversation without unnecessary insults, so I am closing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.