reporting GRE scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CMVpromoter

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How does one report GRE/GRE subject scores for mstp applications?

I'm guessing it's a possibility that some PhD programs would want GRE scores instead of MCAT scores (no quantitative section on the MCAT for example).

Are they reported on the common application to AMCAS or on a more specific application (primary, secondary?)

Members don't see this ad.

i took the general test and reported it on the amcas primary, as well as in any secondaries that requested the info. the only school that required me to send in the actual score report was mount sinai.

No MSTP programs ask or require you to submitt GREs. The only exception I could think of is if they partner with another University for a PhD in engineering or something (Pitt-Cornell, Baylor-Rice, Emory-GT), but even then I don't recall them every actually asking me for GREs. I never even took them.

Members don't see this ad :)
No MSTP programs ask or require you to submitt GREs. The only exception I could think of is if they partner with another University for a PhD in engineering or something (Pitt-Cornell, Baylor-Rice, Emory-GT), but even then I don't recall them every actually asking me for GREs. I never even took them.

There's a Pitt-Cornell partnership? They seem kind of far away from each other. Do you mean Pitt and Carnegie Mellon?

michigan requires engineers to take it...no idea why

Are GRE scores important for SURPs?

No.

michigan requires engineers to take it...no idea why

The program I attended requested GRE scores for those interested in engineering programs, mainly because the department wanted to see them. I had taken it because I was applying to some PhD only programs, but there were others who disregarded this requirement and it never really came up. You may be able to get away with not taking it if only one program you're applying to requires it.

GREs are required by some fellowships anyway. If you're on the fence about taking them, that might be something to keep in mind :)

I challenge you to find a fellowship that funds MD/PhD students that will not accept MCAT in lieu of GRE. I haven't found one yet.

Although this fellowship is probably not one that many MD/PhDs apply for, the NDSEG fellowship website says:

I didn’t take the GRE, but I took the MCAT or LSAT, can I use that score instead?
No, a GRE general test score is required to apply for the NDSEG Fellowship, with absolutely no substitutions.

To follow up on charmonix's post -- there well might be some non-MSTP MD/PhD's who would be interested in NDSEG's fellowships.

NSF and, for minority students, GEM fellowships strongly recommend the GRE, but I appreciate that that doesn't make them 'required' - apologies. It'd be worthwhile shooting them an email and asking if they view the MCAT equally.

http://www.nsf.gov/pubs/2009/nsf09603/nsf09603.htm

Categories of study that are always ineligible:

Clinical (see above), counseling, business or management fields, social work, education (except in science and engineering education in an NSF-supported discipline), or history (except in history of science).

Practice-oriented professional degree programs, joint science-professional degree programs (MD/PhD and JD/PhD), or medical, dental, law, and public health programs.

yikes, good to know.