MSTP Grant Scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jjame

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
An adcom told me their school received a perfect score on their grant renewal for their MSTP. As an applicant--and for future applicants--I'm curious: are MSTP scores available publicly? Is there a nice document that breaks down this information? It would be really awesome to see trends over the past few decades of how programs have evolved and grown, and if there were deficiencies (e.g. I heard Harvard/MIT had their funding frozen for a bit before they fixed supporting their students), how those were addressed.

Members don't see this ad.

No, those few (perfect score - 1% every cycle) are bragging points mostly among us, PDs. There is no public information about this, only whether a program was funded or not. You might glimpse the potential number of slots by the size of the annual direct costs of the T32, but that is also biased as the tuition of private (i.e.: expensive) institutions is higher than many public schools. There is a cap for tuition and fees. The T32 only pays for 60% and up to $50K per slot. Stipend is cap at the national pre-doctoral level. Then, institutions need to supplement to keep all students the same.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
@Fencer would you be able to talk about what the components of the NIH Grant Renewal are, and how schools are evaluated? I'm really curious as to what the NIH thinks an MSTP needs in order to support its students.

Members don't see this ad :)
Whoa awesome! Thanks Fencer!