2010-2011 Creighton Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ksmi117

GEAUX TIGERS!!!
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Prompts:

1. Please state your reasons for applying to Creighton University School of Medicine.
Please limit your response to 2000 characters (approx. 250 words).

2. Describe briefly any experiences and/or skills that have made you more sensitive or appreciative of other cultures or the human condition.

:luck: with your application!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Same as last year..I believe...

1. Please state your reasons for applying to Creighton University School of Medicine.

2. Describe briefly any experiences and/or skills that have made you more sensitive or appreciative of other cultures or the human condition.

did you receive the secondary today?

Members don't see this ad :)
nevermind... received mine too. Good thing I typed these essays up last week! :)

I tried copying and pasting the essays from word/wordpad/everything and it kept saying over the character count so I ended up having to type them in. Oh well.

I tried copying and pasting the essays from word/wordpad/everything and it kept saying over the character count so I ended up having to type them in. Oh well.

In the preview section it doesn't break them up into paragraphs

I'm using google Chrome and when I pasted it in, it still counted zero characters. I'm going to have to try to use FireFox or something to see if Chrome is the reason the character count isn't changing for me. I already tried hand-typing, it didn't change either...

I'm using google Chrome and when I pasted it in, it still counted zero characters. I'm going to have to try to use FireFox or something to see if Chrome is the reason the character count isn't changing for me. I already tried hand-typing, it didn't change either...

Press "save application" at the bottom and it will give you the characters. Don't worry you can change it after saving. And word copied to notepad, copied to the application box fixed my paragraphing problem. submitted! Ha seems like only a few months ago I interviewed there... oh wait... it was a few months ago :p

I'm slightly under 2000 characters, but at 326 words (well over the 250 they asked for). Hopefully they aren't super strict and won't care how long it is, as long as their application program accepts it.

I'm slightly under 2000 characters, but at 326 words (well over the 250 they asked for). Hopefully they aren't super strict and won't care how long it is, as long as their application program accepts it.

Ya, 2000 characters is no where near 250 words...spaces or not.
280 words and 1700 characters for me...

hahaha I just found out Creighton is a "Jesuit, Catholic" university. I had not idea about this. I am not particularly religious, but since this university is religiously affiliated, will that have a significant impact on a medical education, whether positively or negatively?

I doubt it. Maybe it will affect a few of the experiences you have during med school, but not the overall results...check match results...

I heard that just like all med schools, Creighton Med. tries to get the best teachers and staff that it can, and that means its members are largely secular even if the institution itself is Jesuit-founded.

Other med schools that are religiously affiliated (and no one seems to care much): Loma Linda, NYMC, ...one other I think.

Med. College of Wisconsin used to be Marquette's med school but got bought so it is secular now.

Last edited:
hahaha I just found out Creighton is a "Jesuit, Catholic" university. I had not idea about this. I am not particularly religious, but since this university is religiously affiliated, will that have a significant impact on a medical education, whether positively or negatively?

They are religiously motivated to operate the school, that doesn't mean that they require their students to be motivated by the same sources, but their questions indicate that they want to see that their students are motivated by something. I like the questions, even though I am not Catholic.

Members don't see this ad :)
Other med schools that are religiously affiliated (and no one seems to care much): Loma Linda, NYMC, ...one other I think.

Med. College of Wisconsin used to be Marquette's med school but got bought so it is secular now.

I think SLU fits into that category as well.

I think SLU fits into that category as well.

Ya, SLU/Georgetown/Loyola/Creighton are the Jesuit schools I'm aware of....NYMC is Catholic?

I don't remember if there are any more out there, although I'm sure there are...

Yea I think NYMC is non-jesuit catholic, but again, not a big deal. I think they started out secular and then became "affiliated" with a catholic diocese...or something...not sure

I have heard from people attending Jesuit schools that religion doesn't really play into their education at all.

Creighton requires rec letters from "full time" faculty. Does anyone know what exactly means?

anyone else posting a 2000 word essay (according to microsoft word) and seeing it as 3000 words in the app?

nvm, I guess it screws up if you use firefox. Use IE.

anyone else posting a 2000 word essay (according to microsoft word) and seeing it as 3000 words in the app?

nvm, I guess it screws up if you use firefox. Use IE.

I thing that it is supposed to be 2000 letters, not words.

ii remember reading this somewhere but is it true that this school does not accept community college credits for prerequisites?

I have written nothing for the question, why Creighton, and the box says I have already written 92 words and 685 characters. And I am not able to save my 1700 char essay.. anyone in same situation? any solutions?

I have written nothing for the question, why Creighton, and the box says I have already written 92 words and 685 characters. And I am not able to save my 1700 char essay.. anyone in same situation? any solutions?

The problem is that you are pasting from an editor that is capturing all of the formatting information. It is then copying this information with all of the formatting information included.

Copy the information from a program that does no formatting.

The problem is that you are pasting from an editor that is capturing all of the formatting information. It is then copying this information with all of the formatting information included.

Copy the information from a program that does no formatting.

I understand what is happening. Use internet explorer to upload the words. The problem will then be that there is no break between the paragraphs. In between each paragraph type "<p>". This character will not show up in the preview, but it will place a space in between the paragraphs.

The program is expecting the input in HTML format and netscape is kindly putting in thousands of characters of HTML code for you.

After "certification", is that the only thing we have to do to"submit" our app?

ii remember reading this somewhere but is it true that this school does not accept community college credits for prerequisites?

I understand that Creighton gives priority to students who have 4-year university courses, but it is not a hard and fast rule.

I understand what is happening. Use internet explorer to upload the words. The problem will then be that there is no break between the paragraphs. In between each paragraph type "<p>". This character will not show up in the preview, but it will place a space in between the paragraphs.

The program is expecting the input in HTML format and netscape is kindly putting in thousands of characters of HTML code for you.

I used IE and had no problems. I think I am beginning to learn that before complaining always try on IE first. It has solved my many other issues as well.

so what are ya'll interests in this school? What is it well-known for/strengths? Not finding great info in the website...

Is it horrible that I want to attend this school because it reminds me of my favorite sci-fi character/tv show (though his name is spelled slightly different -- but it sounds the same).

<sigh>
I should have mentioned that in my Why Creighton essay. :laugh:

Last edited:
Just got a complete email today. Submitted it back on 7/1

Haha they probably just started looking today then. You'll probably end up ahead of me now, just watch.

I got my complete email a lot earlier than that. I think they probably check for completeness in order of submission, but they might have gotten a ton of responses on the 2nd which caused some backlog. Congratz on the status change, though : ) :thumbup:

I submitted 7/8 and got my complete email today!

never mind. used IE and it worked. weird.

Last edited:
So maybe I am being really nit-picky... but with this question:

I have a couple experiences to choose from, but there's this ONE experience that really trumps all of them. So should I elaborate on the one or explain all of them?

I wrote two and I think you should atleast write about two experiences minimum. Maybe make the more important one, bigger.

I found the character limit too small to write more than two -- and it was hard even than to get the two experiences in.

I can't even access the website, even when using various browsers. Anyone else having this problem?

I can't even access the website, even when using various browsers. Anyone else having this problem?

I think this was an issue earlier in the day, as I had the same problem but it worked later. Maybe they were having server issues.

EdLongshanks and regular Longshanks....Hmmmm

I was thinking about talking about a patient. Should I mention the name or would that violate HIPPA?

Never mention the name. That would definitely be a violation of HIPAA since they are not involved in the care of the patient, nor are they a regulatory/oversight agency asking for records.

I was thinking about talking about a patient. Should I mention the name or would that violate HIPPA?

imho, just make up a first name to call them and put it in quotation marks the first time, so that everyone can see it is a pseudonym. That way, you can still talk about this patient in a personal, caring way without violating their privacy.

So maybe I am being really nit-picky... but with this question:

I have a couple experiences to choose from, but there's this ONE experience that really trumps all of them. So should I elaborate on the one or explain all of them?

I had the same situation. I wrote mainly about that one thing, and then tied in the other things that have had minor roles. Hope this helps!

anyone heard anything else since submitting secondaries?

yay! interview invite, so excited! i really like this school so far:)

Status
Not open for further replies.