2010-2011 UMDNJ-RWJMS Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ksmi117

GEAUX TIGERS!!!
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Prompts:

1. If applicable, please comment on any science grade(s) listed on your application for which you received grades lower than a B. If applicable, please comment if there is a downward trend in your science and/or total grade point average (GPA).

2. Have you ever been subjected to disciplinary action by any college or university? Have
you ever been charged or convicted of a criminal offense? Are there any disciplinary or criminal charges pending against you? If the answer is yes, please specify the details.

3. If you applied as a non-resident (other than NJ), please let us know if you grew up in NJ, attended school in NJ, have parents who reside in NJ, work in NJ, etc.

4. Please let us know how you prepared for your most recent MCAT. If you have taken the MCAT more than once let us know if you prepared differently for prior tests.

5. If you participated in research please provide us with detailed information on the nature of your experience(s).

6. Were you employed while you attended college? If so please let us know the type of work, hours worked, etc. In addition, please indicate if you and/or your parents are/were employed by RWJMS.

7. Is there anything which you would like to share to clarify something in your application?

:luck: with your application!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Has anyone received this secondary yet? I was looking on the 2009-2010 thread and it looked like it came out on June 26th last year...

Last edited:
I got the NJMS one. I think you send it that one for both schools? Just a guess though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmm...I don't believe so; it says "NJMS" specifically on the supplemental application, and we have to pay a fee to each school. Also, according to last year's thread, they sent a PDF that required an e-mail submission.

..They are provided in a word document with text boxes. I was wondering if they expect us to only fill the text box or if we can make the text box larger for one of the responses, specifically the research one. Let me know what you guys think.

i have removed the questions and have sent them to user who started thread.

I am a little frustrated with the check system...I'd rather pay online and mail the application in

WTF. Mail in a check and write actual essays even for NJ residents? Wish RWJ's secondary were just like NJMS.

deleting this post :)

Last edited:
"5. If you participated in research please provide us with detailed information on the nature of your experience(s)."

How detailed is detailed? A lot more info then what we've already written for AMCAS? Suggestions....

"5. If you participated in research please provide us with detailed information on the nature of your experience(s)."

How detailed is detailed? A lot more info then what we've already written for AMCAS? Suggestions....

I doubt it. The text box is so tiny. I wrote a lot more for my primary.

is anyone converting their word document to a pdf before sending?

Members don't see this ad :)
Prompts:

1. If applicable, please comment on any science grade(s) listed on your application for which you received grades lower than a B. If applicable, please comment if there is a downward trend in your science and/or total grade point average (GPA).

Does "lower than a B" include a B- or would it just be like Cs and Ds?

Is anyone going to extend these textboxes to right more, or probably not a good idea.

@ high5. I resized the boxes slightly, but kept the doc at 2 pages total.

Also, what do you guys think of using the last question to state my motivations for attending RWJMS?
edit: Left the last question blank.

Last edited:
so for the research question, are we suppose to write what we got out of it? or are we suppose to write about what the research was all about? and are u guys keeping ur response to the box limit?

hey fellow applicants, i just found out, rwj has a new interview style this year ... 'multiple mini-interview' like virginia tech carillion has.
im kind of excited about that, but i hope it's set up well ... we will be their guinea pigs

quick question ... im almost done with this secondary, but im not sure if i should write anything in the last box. i was thinking of putting something in there about how its my first choice, but i feel like maybe that's not what they want in there? the question is "Is there anything which you would like to share to clarify something in your application?" i feel like maybe i don't need to clarify anything ... i want them to know i love the school but don't want to turn them off with some bs. i could put in my plans for the next year i guess.

quick question ... im almost done with this secondary, but im not sure if i should write anything in the last box. i was thinking of putting something in there about how its my first choice, but i feel like maybe that's not what they want in there? the question is "Is there anything which you would like to share to clarify something in your application?" i feel like maybe i don't need to clarify anything ... i want them to know i love the school but don't want to turn them off with some bs. i could put in my plans for the next year i guess.

unless you mentioned anything about what school was your first choice somewhere in your application, which i will assume you did not, clarification would not include such information.

Question...

What could you possibly write that won't end up reading like an excuse? My dog had behavioral issues. He would show up whenever I tried to hand in my school work, snatch it out of my hands, and run off. And, I could never send my work online. I have no idea where he learned how to hack into my email address...

for the following question:

Were you employed while you attended college? If so please let us know the type of work, hours worked, etc. In addition, please indicate if you and/or your parents are/were employed by RWJMS.

Does this mean during the school semester or do summer positions also count.

Question...

What could you possibly write that won't end up reading like an excuse? My dog had behavioral issues. He would show up whenever I tried to hand in my school work, snatch it out of my hands, and run off. And, I could never send my work online. I have no idea where he learned how to hack into my email address...

I was hospitalized for a pneumomediastinum (air trapped behind my heart) during the first week of freshman year...I was in the ER all the time and receiving consultations from thoracic surgeons. Imagine how that might affect your first month of exams...Anything can happen. I didn't even mention something like that since I still did fine, but other people have medical or even family issues. Cancer...an abusive relationship...a drug addiction you overcame...an olympic or NCAA competition you had to attend. These are things you cannot dismiss as excuses, but tell a story of your challenges.

for the following question:

Were you employed while you attended college? If so please let us know the type of work, hours worked, etc. In addition, please indicate if you and/or your parents are/were employed by RWJMS.

Does this mean during the school semester or do summer positions also count.

I would think they MOSTLY are referring to work you had while in school because they take that into consideration for your course load and difficulty. Balancing a part time job can be difficult during school depending on the hours. So while you can list a summer job along with school employment, I personally wouldn't list it if it were the ONLY thing I had.

I was hospitalized for a pneumomediastinum (air trapped behind my heart) during the first week of freshman year...I was in the ER all the time and receiving consultations from thoracic surgeons. Imagine how that might affect your first month of exams...Anything can happen. I didn't even mention something like that since I still did fine, but other people have medical or even family issues. Cancer...an abusive relationship...a drug addiction you overcame...an olympic or NCAA competition you had to attend. These are things you cannot dismiss as excuses, but tell a story of your challenges.

Agreed.

Anyone thinking of getting a pet during med school?
I currently have a betta, he's quite cute but I can't really play with him. He lives a sheltered, spoiled fish life in his private 1 gallon well lit tank with lots of plants and toys to keep him entertained.

However, I'd kind of like to get a cat during med school. I thought about a dog, but cats are easier to move around when you have to go somewhere and also dogs would get lonely during the day.

LoL.
Maybe I'm nutty.

Anyone thinking of getting a pet during med school?
I currently have a betta, he's quite cute but I can't really play with him. He lives a sheltered, spoiled fish life in his private 1 gallon well lit tank with lots of plants and toys to keep him entertained.

However, I'd kind of like to get a cat during med school. I thought about a dog, but cats are easier to move around when you have to go somewhere and also dogs would get lonely during the day.

LoL.
Maybe I'm nutty.

lol no im thinking of getting a pet too, only i want a puppy :)
i figure going for a walk/playing fetch will be a good break, and they are so cute!!! i would get a little dog though, so it wouldn't be mean to keep it in my apt

dont worry, i dont think youre nutty :laugh:

So from the wording of question 1, which asks for an explanation of poor grades, it sounds like they are not requring an explanation unless you have a compelling reason?? Thanks.

lol no im thinking of getting a pet too, only i want a puppy :)
i figure going for a walk/playing fetch will be a good break, and they are so cute!!! i would get a little dog though, so it wouldn't be mean to keep it in my apt

dont worry, i dont think youre nutty :laugh:

Haha, good to know!
:laugh:

What breed were you thinking of? If French bulldogs weren't so wrinkly I'd totally go for one of those because they're great apartment dogs apparently.

Haha, good to know!
:laugh:

What breed were you thinking of? If French bulldogs weren't so wrinkly I'd totally go for one of those because they're great apartment dogs apparently.

im not sure, my cousin has a Maltese (except they keep the hair shorter than the show dogs lol) and he is super cute and doesn't shed and i think i read that they are good apartment dogs but not sure. but i really want an alaskan klee kai ... except im not sure if they are good with apartments and they cost a lot and i think they shed lol. prob end up with a cute cuddly mutt from the pound tho :)

**Ahhhh essays...

Last edited:
when did interview invites start going out last yr?? im too lazy to look at last yrs thread right now ...

when did interview invites start going out last yr?? im too lazy to look at last yrs thread right now ...

nvm ... last yr the first invite on sdn came on july 27. :scared:
people heard back anywhere from a week to over a month after they were complete.

was complete 7/27 then got a random email from the admissions office today asking what i'm doing in my year off...don't know if that's good or bad but i guess it means they're reviewing my file...:xf:

Sorry for the repost, But I would appreciate it if someone could help me with the following issue:

So from the wording of question 1, which asks for an explanation of poor grades, it sounds like they are not requring an explanation unless you have a compelling reason?? Thanks.

was complete 7/27 then got a random email from the admissions office today asking what i'm doing in my year off...don't know if that's good or bad but i guess it means they're reviewing my file...:xf:

for real? :eek: i was complete 7/19 and i didn't get an email like that ... i mean i wouldnt be able to tell them much bc i dont have a job yet but i feel like this either means they havent reviewed my file yet or they dislike my file so much that they don't care what im doing with my gap year lol

I got that same email a couple weeks ago too!

but still no word on interviews...has anyone gotten one yet? they seem to be slower than last year

I got that same email a couple weeks ago too!

but still no word on interviews...has anyone gotten one yet? they seem to be slower than last year

Still no word on interviews here either. Hopefully soon.

still quiet. has anyone gotten any word on interviews?

Hey,

Did you guys receive an email stating you were complete? There's no way to monitor our status online, is there? I emailed my secondary about a week ago and have heard nothing since.

I received an email to notify me that I was complete. To my knowledge, there is no way of checking to make sure online. After I sent in my check and email...i probably got the email in...4 days or so?

went in to speak with someone from admissions today, they have a new interview system this year (7 interviews - 9 minutes each) so theyre still writing up questions and wont start interviews until october. its call the multiple assessment system.

apparently, theyll only hold interviews a few days a month, instead of mon-fri

INTERVIEW INVITE!!! Woo hoooooo! :) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.