2010-2011 University of Texas - San Antonio Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ksmi117

GEAUX TIGERS!!!
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Prompts:
None

:luck: with your application!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Application is almost done, took the MCAT on may 27th. Just waiting on scores, hoping to get in here. San Antonio is a really cool city. Anyone else applying here?

:xf:

Members don't see this ad :)
count me in as well

:eek: Jeesh, I feel pretty competitive for this school but not that competitive. Want to attend UTHSCSA because its close to home (Austin) and a very nice city in its own right.

cGPA = 3.65
sGPA = 4.0
MCAT = No clue, find out on the 29th!
Averaged about a 34 on the online prac. tests

Post-bacc student, in-state
BBA Finance 07 UT
Lots of volunteering / business experience.

nice picture longwhorn. i also have my BBA in Finance from UT. small world

submitted today. 27P, 4.0 cGPA 4.0 sGPA, Texas Resident. Hopefully they'll be a bit more accepting of the 4.0 and look past the 27!

Has anyone heard back yet?

Just received an interview invite from UTHSC-SA about an hour ago...

Applied here as well, care to post stats for those with invites?

Members don't see this ad :)
I just received an interview invite too!!! EXCITEMENT!!! :)

Last edited:
Care to share with us when you submitted and when you got approved, for those who have invites already?

for the people who got an interview , when was your tmdsas verified?

submitted TMDSAS on 06/01, it was transmitted to the schools on 06/24

Howdy, Here is my stats and time-line for UT-San Antonio:

MCAT: 34m Overall GPA: 3.52
Undergrad GPA: 3.52 Undergrad Science GPA: 3.49
Submitted: 5/25 Transmitted: 6/16
Interview offer: 7/14 Interview: 8/2

UTHSCSA MSII here. If any of you have any questions about the interview process or first year curriculum at UTHSCSA, feel free to ask! I will do my best to answer them quickly (we started second year on Monday).

I've got a queston, think I'll get an interview?

Non Traditional - BBA Finance
2 years of hedge fund employment
Lots of volunteering and a pretty good story of why I choose business.
MCAT 30-O (8 in BS though..)
cGPA 3.51
sGPA 4.0

I'm worried I'll get tossed in the round file for my BS score. I'm currently in O-chem 2 so I think not having taken in really affected my score. Hopefully I'll get a chance to explain in an interview..

I really like this school.

Hey! I just got an interview invite for Aug 2. Do you remember any interview questions you were asked? Any specific ones related to healthcare/current events, or particularly tough questions? what were your stats?

I've got a queston, think I'll get an interview?

Non Traditional - BBA Finance
2 years of hedge fund employment
Lots of volunteering and a pretty good story of why I choose business.
MCAT 30-O (8 in BS though..)
cGPA 3.51
sGPA 4.0

One of my favorite things about UTHSCSA is that they really look beyond the stats. Dr. Jones told a class of us once that the Admissions Committee likes students that have failed at something and had to pick themselves back up.

As far as whether I think you will get an interview, quite possibly, but I can't tell with just your stats.

Hey! I just got an interview invite for Aug 2. Do you remember any interview questions you were asked? Any specific ones related to healthcare/current events, or particularly tough questions? what were your stats?

The entire interview day is pretty relaxed. The first day for MSIs is Aug 2nd, so most of your interactions with be will MSIIs. Dr. Jones will tell you about UTHSCSA in the morning and your interviews will be in the afternoon. Your interviewers will only have have access to your personal statement and the size of your hometown.

My first interviewer asked the standard questions: "Why do you want to be a doctor?" "What do you do to relieve stress?" etc. I didn't feel that any questions were particularly tough.

My second interview was more like a conversation. He wanted to know about my degree in evolution and what I liked to do for fun. It was very relaxed.

As far as my stats, my MCAT was average and my GPA was well below average.

I just got an email stating that my file in complete and will be sent to adcom for review. Did any of you guys get this email and how soon afterwords were you invited for an interview?

Thanks and congrats to those of you who got interviews.

I just got an email stating that my file in complete and will be sent to adcom for review. Did any of you guys get this email and how soon afterwords were you invited for an interview?

Thanks and congrats to those of you who got interviews.

I got that email this morning too! I hope that it goes through the committee quickly...

I didn't receive any emails before my interview invite. Don't know exactly what that would mean though...

It seemed like San Antonio really cares about who you are and not your scores. I talked to Dr. Jones as well and he told me that they will only have your personal statement at the interview so you will not be questioned about your MCAT score or GPA.

I personally liked Dr. Jones a lot. He seemed like a good person with a good sense of dry humor. :)

I got that email too.. I hope it doesn't take too long to go through committee..

Just got an interview invite today (8/9)!!:soexcited:

One of my top choices! I love San Antonio and have heard great things about the program.

Anyone else going to be there the same day?

Just got an interview invite today (8/9)!!:soexcited:

One of my top choices! I love San Antonio and have heard great things about the program.

Anyone else going to be there the same day?

:D
I will be there!!
I got an invite yesterday also for August 9th!

To those who received an interview - Tabicakes, Oldman, etc - do you care to share your stats? Thanks.

Above Average MCAT, below average GPA, non trad

They are definitely looking at the whole application

Good luck everybody! :D

Hey everyone! I'm new to the thread, but I also got an invite a couple days for an interview here! August 9th!! Congrats to all the others with interviews and good luck everyone!

i realize this might sound like a stupid question, but where is UTMS San Antonio listed on the AMCAS application? i can only find houston (among others) listed for the state of Texas

i realize this might sound like a stupid question, but where is UTMS San Antonio listed on the AMCAS application? i can only find houston (among others) listed for the state of Texas

Most texas schools don't use AMCAS, they use a different application system called TMDSAS, google it and you'll find some more info.

To those who got interview invites, were any of you OOS? Does anyone know if they invite OOS later than in state applicants?

Did any of the people who got an interview invitation receive an email explaining that their application was received before they got the invitation? If so, how much longer did it take for you to receive the invitation after receiving the initial email?

To those who got interview invites, were any of you OOS? Does anyone know if they invite OOS later than in state applicants?

I'm OOS as well, but I go to school in Texas, so I don't know if that makes a difference. But I received an interview invite last week for August 9th, so it doesn't seem like they invite IS vs OOS later or sooner than anyone else. Hope this helps!

I hope this makes people feel better:

My premed advisor recently spoke to the head of admissions for SA and he said that they like to evenly space out their favorite candidates through the interview season. He likes to save some of the best for later interviews so that they can impress them and so that there's less time for those students to forget about the school. So just because you haven't received and interview invite yet or you get one o the later ones, that doesn't mean they don't think you're really good for their school.

I hope this makes people feel better:

My premed advisor recently spoke to the head of admissions for SA and he said that they like to evenly space out their favorite candidates through the interview season. He likes to save some of the best for later interviews so that they can impress them and so that there's less time for those students to forget about the school. So just because you haven't received and interview invite yet or you get one o the later ones, that doesn't mean they don't think you're really good for their school.

Honestly, it doesn't make me feel better. Im gonna be nervous throughout the interview season. lol. But thanks anyway for the info.

Status
Not open for further replies.