Do Adcoms compare GPAs and MCATs by URM status?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
B

BucsFan813

Believe me, I don't want to start another AA discussion.

I merely want to know if anyone is aware of schools that compare students based on URM status? In other words, if you're "Blue", are your stats going to be compared against other "Blue" students?

The reason I ask this is the following: MCAT data shows that the average for all test takers is around 25. But for some demographic groups, the average may be significantly higher or lower.

Members don't see this ad.

Believe me, I don't want to start another AA discussion.

I merely want to know if anyone is aware of schools that compare students based on URM status? In other words, if you're "Blue", are your stats going to be compared against other "Blue" students?

The reason I ask this is the following: MCAT data shows that the average for all test takers is around 25. But for some demographic groups, the average may be significantly higher or lower.

If you're blue, you've got bigger problems. Probably an oxygen deficiency.

troll-web.jpg

And the Internet said "let there be trolls"...

Members don't see this ad :)
I tried to use a URM neutral example...

Blue could also refer to a depressed individual. Which, given the entire admissions process, would make sense...

^ Ah...but I don't think they sort out all the domestic abuse survivors, the firefighters, the EMTs, and the non-trads into neat little piles, and pick the top third of each for interviews.

The fact remains that if a school is trying to be "diverse" (whatever the heck that means) they need a variety of backgrounds.

So...

If the highest MCAT score among all "Blue" applicants was 24, But the school really wanted to have "Blue" students in their class, do you think they would still be rejected pre-screen because of their score?

The fact remains that if a school is trying to be "diverse" (whatever the heck that means) they need a variety of backgrounds.

So...

If the highest MCAT score among all "Blue" applicants was 24, But the school really wanted to have "Blue" students in their class, do you think they would still be rejected pre-screen because of their score?

A few schools have programs where if "Blue" students don't meet their requirements they take prep coursework that prepares them and if they perform well in the prep work they are admittted. The school I am thinking of is MSU with the ABLE program. But no, I don't think a medical school would admit an applicant that is incapable of handling the coursework just because they are "Blue."

This depends on whether or not the school had an absolute MCAT cutoff of 24. As you (may) know, you are more than your MCAT score. If there's any other part of your application worth looking at, the school will consider it - regardless of what color of the rainbow you are. As CC noted, schools sometimes have remedial programs for students of different backgrounds, but it isn't nearly as rigid as you suggest, where schools will bend over backwards to accept different students without regard to their potential for meshing well with the school. And the more you use this 'blue' example, the less I think you're talking about 'depressed' students. :laugh:

You would think so, but then you read all these complaints from people on SDN about how their friends with lower stats, less clinical experience, and ECs got in but they didn't... However, people tend to inflate their stats sometimes with fuzzy rounding, so who really knows...

Let's say that a med school believes that an MCAT of less than 8 9 9 increases the odds of failure at that school. The school has enough willing applicants (would matriculate if chosen) that it can fill all of its seats with MCATs at or above 10 11 11. However, if there are some applicants (lets say 5-10%) who would serve to make the class more diverse and contribute to society in ways that rest of the applicant pool could not and this small proportion are people with MCATS of 8 9 9 or better then the school may be willing to take a chance on them. Their stats may below the average for the school but they are not below the minimum needed to succeed.

The adcom has spoken, and she has spoken well. I vote we close this here and now before the AA regulars drop in (ok I guess I am an AA regular, but I function more as a AA reguLATOR - I also nominate myself as SDN AA/URM Thread Police, plz consider me).

Wow............. a peaceful URM thread.

Maybe the use of the color blue was a great idea :)