Most humanistic residency programs in Southern California?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MellowYellowCA

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been searching for this, but haven't been able to find this. I want a program that will allow me to spend as much time as possible with my kids, and not leave me stressed everyday when I come home. Which programs in Southern California are the best in this respect? What are hours like, call, and how supportive is the administration? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I think the Harbor program is pretty nice.
I have colleagues from the Harbor and USC programs and I believe they said harbor was easier with more upscale patients.

I am not sure if this means that you will be going home early without any stress though.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think UC Irvine would probably best match what you're looking for. Their call schedule is amazingly light, and the administration seemed really supportive.

If you're willing to move to Northern California, San Mateo would fit like a glove. ;)

I think UC Irvine would probably best match what you're looking for. Their call schedule is amazingly light, and the administration seemed really supportive.

If you're willing to move to Northern California, San Mateo would fit like a glove. ;)

Great!! It seems like these (below) are the possible options in CA. Could someone help me categorize these - which do you feel would go into more humanistic and which would go into more stressful/longer hours category? Also in which do you see more higher income and which low/no income?

UCLA-Kern Medical Center Program

University of California (San Francisco)/Fresno Program

University of California (San Diego) Program

Loma Linda University Program

Cedars-Sinai Medical Center Program

University of Southern California/LAC+USC Medical Center Program

UCLA Medical Center Program

UCLA-San Fernando Valley/VA Greater Los Angeles Program

University of California (Irvine) Program

University of California (Davis) Health System Program

Naval Medical Center (San Diego) Program

University of California (San Francisco) Program

California Pacific Medical Center Program

San Mateo County Behavioral Health and Recovery Services Program

Stanford University Program

Los Angeles County-Harbor-UCLA Medical Center Program

Great!! It seems like these (below) are the possible options in CA.
Unless you're in the Navy, you can rule out Naval Medical Center...
Could someone help me categorize these - which do you feel would go into more humanistic and which would go into more stressful/longer hours category? Also in which do you see more higher income and which low/no income?
My recommendation to you would be to do what I did on SDN: Do a search specifying only the Psychiatry forum and type the name of each program in. Doing this, I was able to get a lot of good info on most of the programs you listed here.

You can also check these two threads:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=671376
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=236066

in which folks who interviewed at lost of programs described their experiences. That'll answer a lot of your questions...

I think the Harbor program is pretty nice.
I have colleagues from the Harbor and USC programs and I believe they said harbor was easier with more upscale patients.

I am not sure if this means that you will be going home early without any stress though.

I'm not so sure about the upscale patients. Harbor is LA County, too, so it's going to be a little more downscale. However, they do get the chance to rotate at Kaiser and UCLA clinics later on in the program, so maybe that's what your colleagues were talking about. Personally I got a mixed picture at Harbor. When I interviewed, I didn't perceive it to be too resident unfriendly, but I talked to someone else who interviewed there who got the message that they work a ton. Don't know which is more accurate. It's a neat program if you're into public psych, county hospital type of stuff.

As for hour-friendly SC programs, I'd ex off UCLA and UCSD. Both seemed to be a little more on the intense side when I interviewed there. I've heard good stuff about Cedars-Sinai, namely that residents are pretty happy. Also, I heard that UCLA-SFV has a good schedule. Didn't interview at either of these places, though, so I'm not sure. If you're willing to go farther north, UC-Davis seemed to have a pretty good schedule, with very limited call after first year.

UCSD has been very hours heavy during 1st and 2nd year. Speaking as a chief resident :)

UCLA seemed to work a little harder than us.

Cedars seemed very friendly, but with a small pool of residents, I've heard stories about their workload increasing hugely anytime someone gets sick or drops out.

Everything could change next year though with the new ACGME rules. Nightfloat everywhere?

I too thought that programs at county hospitals, such as LAC/USC and Harbor would be the most hectic, with the most angry and possibly volatile patients?

How would the patients you would see at UCLA or Cedars compare to those you may see at a county hospital?

Any other humanistic programs?