How long will it take to pay off my debt?

Started by Adapt
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Adapt

2K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I'm going to have to borrow everything for medical school so I'll be about $250,000 in debt. I want to enter into family practice so I figure my salary will be around 120K a year.

Assume I live in an apartment for a couple of years post-residency, have a wife, and have a kid a couple of years post-residency.

I figure I can pay larger loan payments the first couple of years post-residency since I'll live in an apartment without a kid yet.

How long do you think it would take for me to pay this debt off after residency?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Originally posted by Slickness
Yes I've read this post awhile ago and even posted in it. Thanks.

So does anyone think I can do it in 5 years if really tried?

I think that you could theoretically do it if you lived like you did as a resident for 5 yrs (living expenses ~20K per year) and you didn't get married or start a family. Or you could always marry somebody wealthy.
 
Originally posted by Olanzapine
I think that you could theoretically do it if you lived like you did as a resident for 5 yrs (living expenses ~20K per year) and you didn't get married or start a family. Or you could always marry somebody wealthy.
I see. I would certainly live on 20K per year if it means I can pay off my debt faster.

Your right though. I can do it the easy way and marry a rich girl.😀