How to position myself for residency

Started by flextape
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

flextape

Full Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey everyone, current MS1 here interested in family medicine. I've been a bit confused on how to approach activities that would go on to my residency application. I already have a publication from undergrad but I'm not too keen on research and would prefer to keep that to a minimum. Is community volunteering something that programs would prefer more? Not sure how to approach this, especially since I keep hearing that anyone can match FM, but thought I'd get some advice on what to focus on ahead of time to shape the rest of med school. Thank you!
 
Pass the boards, rotate at programs you are interested in, don't be a jerk on rotations, be on time, if they tell you to go home - you go. Residencies want a team player, not a complainer, not someone who's a know it all, not someone who is dangerous.