BEST EXTERNSHIP- fresno OMFS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

steamboat

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Fresno OMFS rocks. :thumbup: just came back from a week long externship. tons of good stuff- juicy and bloody!! trauma, 3rd, seds, 2nd cleft, UPPP, tmd, huge recons, implants etc etc.... residents there are very nice and helpful. all very good at teaching! PD is very cool and seems he cares a lot about his residents. did I mention it was hands ON? the chief Dr. Allen Chien is awesome, he made sure that I was taken care of, shared his thoughts, and taught me basic stuff. thank you dr. chien :bow:

Members don't see this ad.

Ummm.... was I the only person who got a notice saying this program shut down and its not taking residents any more? :confused::confused::confused:

i've heard a time or two that the program is being shut down however...they don't seem to think so. here is their website acting as if everything is normal:

http://www.communitymedical.org/omfs.htm

if someone knows better please share

Members don't see this ad :)
I had an exceptionally great time too, in august. Dr. Chien is a true gentleman and he was a perfect host. The team all together is good. Departmant chair was on vacation when I externed but everyone spoke very highly of him.

The program withdrew from PASS only for this year, for some internal delicate reasons. I was told they will be participating on pass for 2010 positions.

for some internal delicate reasons

Translation... they take their intern every year, so it saves us money from going out there for no reason... ;)

Disclaimer: I heard that taking intern tid bit second hand, albeit a former Fresno resident in the GPR, but still second hand.

Translation... they take their intern every year, so it saves us money from going out there for no reason... ;)

Disclaimer: I heard that taking intern tid bit second hand, albeit a former Fresno resident in the GPR, but still second hand.

I also heard from someone I know who externed there that the externship was great. She also told me that they openly took their interns, which made the internship really competitive, and the PASS application almost irrelevant.

Thank you for the positive feedback on the Fresno OMFS Externship. I am the current Chief Resident. Allow me to clarify on some of the statements made in this thread.

1) The program has never shut down.

2) We needed to pull out of the match the last years due to some issues. It was decided it would only be fair to not be listed so that applicants would not waste time or money

3) We will be accepting applications for our one year internship, the day of the Match Results. Our internships spot is competitive because it is a very good internship.

4) We do not openly take our INTERNS. I DID NOT INTERN HERE

5) We do however favor applicants for our First Year spots that have experience (previous OMFS internship, GPR), however our current 2nd year was accepted straight out of Dental school.

6) We are a very busy program.
There is no plastics or ent residency. We take all the call for head and facial trauma (eg. all facial and scalp lacerations, mandible and orbit fx's)
We also perform approx one to two Head and Neck cancer cases a month which include neck dissections and flap reconstructions. We manage most head and neck infections. In addition we operate on approx 100 plus orthognathic cases a year. Our third year placed approx 65 implants last year. We recieve training on surgical airways.

7) There are many other good things that are happening here that have not been solidified, but will enhance this program

8) We truly enjoy having EXTERNS and make it a point to ensure time is not wasted. During the time period we did not participate in the Match, several externs continued to visit here and found they had a great time.

9) We do have some negative points. There are no perfect programs.

If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to ask. Best wishes on your future. You've picked a great profession to pursue.

My only advice is...............remember to pick the Profession not the Location. IE the best OMFS program is the one you got into to.

Last edited: