Do you know the avg. board scores for your school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I would be careful about this. You may see some significant selection bias. Deans are reluctant to tell students poor results, and the few students who know will be equally reluctant to post them.

I just talked to Jalby and our class scored a 225. (USC)

Members don't see this ad :)
Mayo Med School (which requires students to report scores to the school since they pay for the test) have had the following averages:

2001: 230
2002: 234
2003: 236

No failures in over a decade. The 2004 scores are not yet all back but should be shortly.

mpp said:
Mayo Med School (which requires students to report scores to the school since they pay for the test) have had the following averages:

No failures in over a decade. The 2004 scores are not yet all back but should be shortly.
that's very impressive :thumbup:

karmon said:
what's UMICH?
i don't know the averages but last year's class had a handful of people failing. which is ridiculous considering its high and mighty "residency director's ranking." :laugh:

in fact i think several people failed every year in the last few years except for maybe two or three years ago.

shameful.

automaton said:
i don't know the averages but last year's class had a handful of people failing. which is ridiculous considering its high and mighty "residency director's ranking." :laugh:

in fact i think several people failed every year in the last few years except for maybe two or three years ago.

shameful.

well i hope you're bucking down on those books this year. michigan already blew there chance at the national title, so you might as well be productive on those saturday afternoons.

UArizona .... 258 last year.

just kidding :D . try doing a search, i know you aren't the first to pose this question. like another said...beware of the bias on this forum.

This should be posted only by people who actually go to the Said school. And I'm going to have to open a can of whoop a$$ on people who ask "Anybody have XXXX's board scores???" If they had it, they would have posted it. (duh)

automaton said:

shameful.
first of all, who are you? and where do you get your info from? back up your smack before you start trashing another school. also, I doubt UMich got it's reputation among residency directors by being "shameful." the proof is in the data, and it's not even necessary to talk on the quality of UMich's scores. as far as your garbage?

shameful.

bones2008,

i understand why you would be defensive. after all, you only made your decision to attend this top 10 school just a few months ago. it's as if you just bought a new volkswagon and some guy says that's a chick car. at first you're going to be pissed as hell at that guy. what does he know? the car dealer never mentioned anything about it being a chick car, and neither did anyone you talked to about it. no way. no way! but later you're gonna have to admit, hey, that guy was right. you do drive a chick car.

michigan is a good school. there is no denying that. it just happens to be weak in some very important aspects. mayo's students had a 100% passing rate for 10 years. that's no accident. i'm not going to say that michigan doesn't prepare its students well for the boards. i have no information about that. i do know that many of its faculty hold very important positions in the step1 committee. however, despite all of this, there is something that mayo is doing right that michigan is not.

there is no point in denying this. i was asked a direct question, and i answered it.

Do any of the schools have scores below the average? If I learned anything during my long education some school has to be below average.

For the Record:
Roslaind Franklin/ CMS 2003 avg was 219 we have been above the mean for the past 3 years and I think this yr will be no different.

I mean the average is for all US and Canadian Medical Schools, so which schools are below average?

automaton said:
bones2008,

i understand why you would be defensive. after all, you only made your decision to attend this top 10 school just a few months ago. it's as if you just bought a new volkswagon and some guy says that's a chick car. at first you're going to be pissed as hell at that guy. what does he know? the car dealer never mentioned anything about it being a chick car, and neither did anyone you talked to about it. no way. no way! but later you're gonna have to admit, hey, that guy was right. you do drive a chick car.
:laugh:

I'm glad you're posting again, you always make me laugh.

;)

ah, med school...where all students are above average...

mpp said:

wow...that's very impressive...like 1SD above the mean. what's the *secret* behind this performance? i.e. small student body, lotta time to prep, teaching mainly board-pertinent material, etc?

I think a combination. The average MCAT for entering students is fairly high (33+), the class is small and so we get a lot of good teaching, 98% of the teaching first two years is by M.D.'s with just a handful of PhD's that teach with the "my research focuses on..." kind of attitude. So everything is clinically relevant including things like anatomy, pharmacology, physiology, etc. Some of our course syllabi read like the BRS Pathology/Physiology books; concise and clinically relevant. We get about 4.5 weeks preparation time which is probably about average but our classroom time is relatively high. The administration is proud of its student's accomplishments and always working with us to improve the curriculum (I think a small class size helps to make improvement happen faster). Lots of focus group type things to help make classes relevant toward what we are trying to get out of it. Some people say that perhaps our early 'rotations' (we start clinical courses/rotations where we are in the hospitals/clinic during second year with 6 weeks of Pediatrics, 9 weeks of Medicine, 3 weeks of surgery, some other stuff) are a reason why we do well but if you ask me the learning on those 'rotations' aren't quite as high yield as the regular classroom stuff is. Teaching is really superb with the majority of professors very good at what they do...we have our fair share of duds of course but for the most part things seem well prepared and taught.

mpp said:
...98% of the teaching first two years is by M.D.'s with just a handful of PhD's that teach with the "my research focuses on..." kind of attitude. So everything is clinically relevant including things like anatomy, pharmacology, physiology, etc. Some of our course syllabi read like the BRS Pathology/Physiology books; concise and clinically relevant.

lucky bastard...i hate that $hit with PhDs teaching. like i give a crap about the minutia THEY think is important and does not clinically relate. too bad so few MDs teach during the basic sciences. you're fortunate @ mayo.

automaton said:
bones2008,

i understand why you would be defensive. (etc. etc. etc.)

my bad. thought you were trolling around. hey, maybe the difference at UMich is that there are more distracting social options in Ann Arbor than in Rochester, MN.