ADSO completion and MSP signing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AFM

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anybody execute an MSP following their initial ADSO for training?

I'm curious how that is calculated in terms of when you are eligible. I guess that I officially ended residency on 6/30/yyyy so I would be eligible to sign on 7/1/yyyy + ADSO.

Members don't see this ad.

At least in the Navy, you can apply up to two months before your eligible date. That way the paperwork and approval process is done ahead of time, and you can get paid as early as possible.

My date of eligibility was 8 years + 1 day after first reporting for intern orientation. If you are still paying back your training obligation, you might want to wait to sign an MSP until after that obligation is complete, but technically as long as you are residency trained you can sign at your 8 year mark (the date is calculated based on something called the health professions pay entry date or something like that, basically when you started internship).

At least in the Navy, you can apply up to two months before your eligible date. That way the paperwork and approval process is done ahead of time, and you can get paid as early as possible.

My date of eligibility was 8 years + 1 day after first reporting for intern orientation. If you are still paying back your training obligation, you might want to wait to sign an MSP until after that obligation is complete, but technically as long as you are residency trained you can sign at your 8 year mark (the date is calculated based on something called the health professions pay entry date or something like that, basically when you started internship).

That is good information. Thanks.

I'm trying to catch this window of end of ADSO for residency and start of fellowship so I can get the MSP obligation to be fulfilled concurrently with the fellowship and fellowship pay-back... (it still seems too good to be true):

DoD 7000 14-R Volume said:
C.
When no education and training ADO exists at the time of an MSP
agreement execution, the ADO for MSP is served concurrently with the MSP agreement period
and all other non-education and training ADOs. In addition, if the MSP agreement is executed
before the start date of fellowship training and no other education and training ADO exists, the
MSP ADO is served concurrently with the MSP agreement period. However, if the MSP
agreement is executed on or after the start date of the fellowship training, the physician is
obligated for the full fellowship period and the MSP ADO will begin one day after the
fellowship ADO is completed. Once a physician has begun to serve an MSP ADO it will be
served concurrently with any existing ADO including obligations for other special pay
agreements or medical education and training obligations incurred after the execution date for
that particular MSP agreement.

Attachments

• 07a_05.pdf
    194.7 KB · Views: 49
Anybody execute an MSP following their initial ADSO for training?

I'm curious how that is calculated in terms of when you are eligible. I guess that I officially ended residency on 6/30/yyyy so I would be eligible to sign on 7/1/yyyy + ADSO.

If i were you I would look at your offical order (internship) and the order will state end date. Interestingly my end date for HPSP (obligation) is 10 June 2013 and my fellowship would begin on July 2013. Thus I can sign up for MSP before my fellowship and obligation from MSP can run concurrently with fellowship's obligation.