Cost of Meds

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

diplomat

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I started working at a independent pharmacy recently and got a glimpse at what the actual cost of medications are. I knew it was significantly less than what they charge the patient but I was clueless as to how inexpensive pharmacies purchase medications.
Furosemide- bottles of 1,000 for about 10 bucks
Omeprazole-bottles of 1,000 for 95 bucks. That is less then 10 cents per capsule. Then they turn around and charge insurance companies 30 bucks.
Generic Soma-bottle of 1,000 for 20 bucks...
etc, etc, etc...

Places like CVS and Walgreens are making an absolute killing on this stuff.

Members don't see this ad.

I started working at a independent pharmacy recently and got a glimpse at what the actual cost of medications are. I knew it was significantly less than what they charge the patient but I was clueless as to how inexpensive pharmacies purchase medications.
Omeprazole-bottles of 1,000 for 95 bucks. That is less then 10 cents per capsule. Then they turn around and charge insurance companies 30 bucks.
etc, etc, etc...

Not really. A prescription is more than the med. It's the bottle, the label, the printer, the software, the adjudication system, the techs, the pharmacist, the lights, the heat, the rent, the advertising, the maintenance....it's about $10/rx not inclusive of the price of the med itself. Now look at what you actually get paid per RX and see why margins are in the crapper.

Members don't see this ad :)
You're lucky if you get paid AWP-0%.

etc, etc, etc...

You make an average of $15 dollars per rx. Not all drugs are inexpensive and you dont sell the bottle right away. Generics are the way to go, but as someone already posted, there are bills to pay and salaries to pay. And what you may not know yet is that pharmacy benefit managers do not pay you what you submit. You have to fill a lot of prescriptions to run the business. Its not all $10 dollar bottles of furosemide. There are lots of $100 bottles of insulin and $1600 boxes of enbrel.