****The Official University at Buffalo Class of 2016 Acceptance Thread****

BoxerRumble

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think this was missing in the compilation thread so I made one. Good luck everyone.

Members don't see this ad.

"offer made" now for the hard decision... when to start looking for apartments.

Accepted! This thread is kinda quiet, where are all our future UB students at?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm so there!! Did you guys get a call from Dr. Brown? :)

accepted!! Dr. Brown called me around 11am this morning!

Got the call this morning!! Best Christmas gift ever! :thumbup:

Congratulations to all who have been accepted at Buffalo. It is my top choice, but i've not heard anything from them but still keeping the faith. Do any of you who interviewed there know what the average debt their students incur after graduation?

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been accepted as well!!!!!! Now I'm debating whether or not I should get a room mate.... What's everyone else doing? :)

What areas do you think we should be looking for apartments?

What areas do you think we should be looking for apartments?

im planning on contacting some of the students i talked to that day to see where would be a good place..

Yea, I started to look today just online. saw a few things near the south campus. I'm assuming they'll send us some information.

If you don't have a car I would live around south campus. If you do have a car and want a bit nicer of an apartment you can live in Amherst or on Elmwood Ave, Allen St, or around Delaware park. I'm looking for a girl who wants to share a 2 BR apartment. Let me know if you're interested! :)

Thanks for all the information. I'm starting to look now. However, I'm not sure there will be that many apartments available until we're closer to August. It's very exciting and I can't stop myself from looking lol :)

I just missed a UPS package from Buffalo last night - -a
Did anyone receive their acceptance package yet?

Btw, any canadian students here considering commuting from Niagara falls area?? I am wondering if this is possible hahaha,, I had a friend doing his undergrad this way, :laugh:

Is there any Facebook group for the class of 2016 yet?

haven't gotten anything via ups yet. and no haven't seen a facebook page yet. I think there's a thread in the main forum w/ links to various schools pages.

How much are the first and second deposit?

one deposit, $350, and refundable...

I'm in too!

Sisero - the deposit is refundable? Did you call and ask that? I don't see anywhere that it is refundable.

I'm in too!

Sisero - the deposit is refundable? Did you call and ask that? I don't see anywhere that it is refundable.

It is listed in the ADEA guide to dental schools

That is great news - gives me a bit more time to be indecisive. :)

Thanks so much!

Hey everybody, I was accepted to UB SDM on 12/1/11 by e-mail. Been trying to get in for some time now. I currently work at (and have worked at for the past 4 years) this dental school. I know most students, faculty, and staff as well as the Buffalo area. Let me know if you have questions. I'm new to SDN, so I'll try to figure out how to use it and respond promptly.

I'm considering buying a duplex or a quad to rent out. Let me know if this interests you and maybe I'll become more serious about doing this. If not, there are better and worse areas to live in around Buffalo:

Buffalo near South Campus: Cheap to live here, close to school, and close to public transport but not the nicest or "friendliest" area to live in.

Amherst/Williamsville: Nice area, nice people, shopping, fairly close to campus, upscale but expensive and high taxes.

Kenmore: Decent area, small town, relatively inexpensive but a little further away from campus and cops are bad with speeding.

Tonawanda: Basically the same as Kenmore (right next door) but a little bigger.

Buffalo: Varies depending on area from cheap to expensive, nice to not so nice, and good access to public transport.

Cheektowaga: On the cheaper side, kinda close to campus, near airport (good and bad).

There are other areas as well that are close or far. Buffalo is an easy city to get around in if you have a car. Even if you live in Hamburg, Clarence, or North Tonawanda (etc.) you can get to class within 30 minutes if you have a car and the snow behaves. Public transport is kind of a joke in Buffalo but if you live near a stop, you can get to class easily. There is also on campus housing which is pretty nice but if you don't like your roommate(s), you will "not enjoy yourself." On campus housing tends to be a little more pricy.

NOTE: It snows in Buffalo. Take the proper preparations for this. Expect snow. Some years are not so bad but once every 5 years or so, we get hit HARD! Bring and/or buy boots, warm hats, gloves, and jackets. If you have a car, sometimes (but not always necessarily) it is a good idea to get snow tires... it depends on the car. If you have never driven in snow before, go to a large empty parking lot after it snows and do donuts... seriously. This will allow you to get a feel for driving in snow, allow you to see what it feels like to lose control of the car, allow you to practice regaining control of the car after a skid, show you how long it takes to stop, and lower the amount of panic you experience when you skid in a real-life driving situation (which is likely to happen :eek:). As for walking on ice, walk flat-footed and you won't slip.

Keep in mind that you will need to purchase loops (magnification glasses), a MacBook Pro from the school, an articulator, DVD with textbooks, and other supplies out of pocket.

Buffalo is very cheap to live in with regard to the standard of living. Shopping and grocery stores are easily accessible. Anything more than about $12 for a pizza is a rip off. I bought gas today at $3.59/gallon for regular 87 octane. Oil change starts at around $25. Apartments are as cheap as $300/month but practical apartments for dental students are in the range of $500-$650/month for a 1 or 2 bedroom apartment or a small house. Houses sell as cheap as $8K (but you wouldn't want to live there). Realistic houses are $50K-$70K+ for a decent place. Really nice houses in really nice areas sell as cheap as $100K.

There's a lot to do in Buffalo: Erie County Fair (August, oldest and 2nd largest county fair in country), Allentown art festival (summer), taste of Buffalo (summer), Italian festival (summer), museum of science, Albright Knox art gallery, Canal Fest (around May), theater (Shea's), Shakespeare in the park, etc. Buffalo stays open late for the most part. It's kind of a drinking town, but there are plenty of other things to do as well.

Buffalo has some of the best food in the country. We invented the hamburger, roast beef on kimmelweck, the chicken wing (to eat, not actually invented), and several others. People in Buffalo are generally very friendly.

I might not know the answer to all questions you may have, but I guarantee I know the people who do. Congrats to those accepted. Hope to see you in August. Let me know if you have questions that I didn't answer.

Last edited:
Just read through posts so far. To Oreoson, Niagara Falls on US side is definitely possible to commute daily, although it will take at least 30 minutes each way when there is no snow. As for Canadian side of the Falls, it's possible but very impractical being that the bridge traffic can take a long time.

As for the deposit, it is $350 and it is refundable before a certain date (I think around May area). I should say that it is common courtesy to only put deposits into schools you are serious about attending and inform the school as soon as possible if you change your mind. This allows the school to accept other people once you know you will not be attending.

The dental school is redoing the pre-clinics. They think it will take 3-4 months but they don't have any definite plan as of yet. Good news for us.:)

Last edited:
Hey MJL, thanks for all the great information!

How is the area immediately surrounding the school? Is it in a nice or not so nice neighborhood?

I would like to live 5-15 minutes from the campus on bike/car. Would the area north, south, east or west of the school be the best? I'm looking for a nicer-ish area.

Word is the area surrounding south campus isn't so hot. It's not the norm but on my interview I remember the students talking about a recent break in at one of the students apartments near the school. It's probably not that bad, but there are better areas, so i've heard. I'm sure MJL can add more to this.

I'm in! I got into Stonybrook and Pitt as well but I'm pretty sure I'm coming to UB! Can't beat the price and I get to come back home to Buffalo:)

Areas immediately south and east of the school are not great. But across Main St from the school (north) is decent. You can live less than 15 minutes from school and be in a great area (Amherst).

I got an email from Dr. Brown this morning saying that I'm on the alternates list. I interviewed in the end of January, and I'm an out of state resident. I really liked the school, it was quite impressive. I heard they are done with interviews as of last week.

Email today from Dr, Brown. 3rd time is the charm. See you all in August!!!

thats exciting! congrats! Be sure to join the fb group (link is above i think)

Rejection via phone call....a letter would have been just fine. :(

accepted off the waitlist today 3/5! Was on upper third of the waitlist since 2/13. Interviewed on 2/9. See you all this August!! :soexcited:

Any other people get moved off the waitlist? I am currently on the waitlist so any more information regarding waitlist movement would be great. Thanks!

Is it me or does this wait list seem like its at a dead stop -_-

Accepted off the waitlist today!!! Was on it since 12-18!

Is it me or does this wait list seem like its at a dead stop -_-

Fear ye not waitlisters... I'm a 3rd year (I guess I have to still say that although I'm 3 weeks away from being a 4th year lol) and I was accepted off the wait list about 2 weeks before orientation started and even then I still wasn't the last person to be accepted out of my class. It gave me minimal time to scramble to find a place to live and cancel the lease I had gotten for what was going to be my UMDNJ apartment, but was doable :) I will also note that I did not ever call to see where I was on the wait list, although I did send Dr. Brown an email to express my continued interest in UB after getting the waitlist letter.

IMHO our dental faculty are the BEST and I congratulate anybody who will be a member of the Class of 2016!